BC Transit

BC Transit Employee Reviews

Canada36 reviews
BC Transit overall is a good company to work for but lacks in communication with its employees.
The benefits are very good and not too expense from the pay check.
I worked for the Metro Transit for about 2 years, then the company became BC Transit. The wages help provide myself and my family steady employment, which gave me a good solid foundation to sustain myself and my family.
Benefits
Cons
Some degree of stress
Good job. Great management but could pay more good interview process. Great work environment. Good job but some split shifts are required so you must be flexible
good place of work my co workers are very good
i enjoy meet people and serve them with my customer service

it need more fun inside the company. N/aaa
Good retirement package too. After 30 year's service I should hope so. I still know a few driver's but don't hang with them aniymore since they closed their Transit Club which was a Bar on 41st and Oak.
This was my dream job. Unfortunately working on call casual made it impossible to continue as I was unable to afford to live. I had some great co-workers and dispatch was very good.
Pay is not fair for the amount of responsibility you have as a driver. 12 hour days and 8 hours of pay, at a wage less than a pizza delivery person. 4 years to get to a top rate that is $4-$6 less than where it should be now.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Non livable wage
Bus drivers are vulnerable, at risk. But able to help people. I loked it. Public service job so very politically correct.
Generally good staff. Labor relations was a dog fight when I was there. Managers fought dirty. In public. Disgracefully. No class. Supportive culture by first line supervisors. They were hood to me. It is a burn out job.

So early retirement benefit package
Pros
Chooae days off and hours of work by seniority
Cons
Split shifts, hard to get time off
In 18 years the work should have improved with seniority, but that wasn't the case. Split shifts, awful shifts, a union that doesn't care and ineffective management. If you don't mind being a mindless drone, this is the place for you
Pros
Adequate wages
Cons
Terrible shifts, uncaring union, stinky passengers
I was a contractor but was given good responsibilities. The company is full of Canadians and they are not open to other cultures coming in. If someone wants a steady A-B-C type of work, then this is good.
BC Transit has a young team of hardworking Senior Executives who are passionate about Public Transportation, and the promotion of new technologies to enhance the experience of the ridership. Exposure to this environment taught me a great deal about Transit that I was previously unaware of.
Pros
Free bus passes, free gym
Cons
Sometimes difficult to advance
Co workers are helpful and friendly... as well as management. They always have an open door policy. Management has always listened to any concerns and if there is a problem at home or at work they are there to help.
Pros
close to home
Cons
splits
If you are looking for a life long career, love driving, don't get stressed out easy, and don't mind shift work, then this place is for you. Management at BCT Victoria are truly great people. The new CEO is young, modern, and such an out going genuine person. Everyone is there to help you, from other operators, supervisors, controllers, dispatchers, trainers, and managers. The only thing that is a bit on the down side, is the wage compared to other cities, and the 5 years till top rate. So if you want a job that you are one big family, love driving, and there is never a closed door, then apply here!
Pros
Great management, amazing co-workers, stable career
Cons
wage and the 5 years till top rate.
I find that the work environment is ok if you are an older employee. But it is hard to fit in otherwise. The employees are given a performance review annually or every six months. It is no different then getting your report card in which makes you feel like a child. I think they can come up with a different and more productive ways to reviews and effectively criticize employees. Like training there managers in effective managing. Some managers are very old school and do not look at the process but point fingers at employees regarding processes and performance instead. So managers do not even care to effectively eveluate there employees. These processed are not changing anything but stressing there employees out and not effective criticizing them. Executives do not have to go through this process either. Employee should be able to give constructive performance reviews to Executives IMO.
I do have to say that the Stay On Board is a positive program that they have started.
Pros
Close to amenities, free bus passes, Stay on Board
Cons
no parking, work environment, performance reviews, no relationship with executives
Very supportive culture from the admins, training, managers and supervisors. Most worked their way up so can relate. It’s a multi Union organization with great work rules, benefits, wages and top shelf government pension. Once training is completed (9weeks) you are sent out on your own “to figure it out”. They give you the tools, it’s up to you to use them. Very autonomous work environment. Kinda lonely at times. Always moving. You will drive 50 mins out of each hour. Lots of ability to work overtime, give away shifts, banked ot and stats.
Pros
Job flexibility
Cons
Starting wage and 5 yr to top wage
While it does take awhile to get the better shifts but everyone is there to help you. It is a job you can do that allows the smallest of consideration from you that can have a Hugh impact on someone in need.
Pros
Great people
Cons
nights or split shifts to start
I do not wish to provide any opinion regarding my term of employment at BC Transit Victoria. All relevant facts are publicly available. My opinion is not relevent.
Good team atmosphere.
Due to the reach and mission of this company, there is a large functional reach and hence variety of solutions needed.

Good location to live in - Victoria.
Pros
good life quality
Cons
a bit slow paced
Typical government organization that lacks proper management. High turnover in a lot of places usually losing the good staff. The people that have been around for a long time have learned to not make waves, so they exacerbate the issue. A lot of promotions are based on popularity rather than qualifications. This leads to decisions based on keeping their supervisors happy rather than what is best for the company or the taxpayers. This also leads to decisions changing quite a few times. The pay is better than Ministry positions, but lower than the private side for most positions. No bonuses. Basically no overtime for exempt employees.
Pros
Flexible working hours. Decent gym available.
Cons
Low salary. Poor management.
Always fun to drive such a large piece of equipment on city streets. Very stressful job in many ways. Poor shifts, long days, faulty equipment and stressful conditions.
Pros
great pay and bennifits, 5 weeks paid vacation to start.
Cons
long days, poor shifts, poor equipment and stressfull work
Transit is a great part of every community, and I firmly believe in adding more public transit. However, there is a huge disconnect between what every staff employee does day-to-day and what is actually happening on the ground. It is hard to feel any satisfaction when most jobs are just pushing bureaucratic nonsense.
Pros
Great fitness facility, good benefits
Cons
Advancement internally isn't close to as good as they say.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Transit. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6