BC SPCA Employee Reviews for Animal Caretaker

productive fun workplace
Animal Care Attendant, I (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC18 July 2018
The employees at this shelter commit every ounce of their being to the welfare of the animals. It it always a warm inviting place to go. I learned so much working at this shelter. Some days were hard but having such a great team of people helped.
Good company
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC4 May 2018
Help take care of animals whats not to love. Maintained the entire physical plant in a clean, sanitary, and efficient manner on an ongoing basis and in a collaborative manner
Tough
Animal Care Attendant 1 (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 April 2017
Love my job, love the animals. Us animal lovers are crazy and hard to deal with, so gathering 16 of them and putting them in a high stress environment is bound to be a recipe for trouble. We manage, somehow.
Pros
cute animals, getting to see creatures find homes
Cons
euths, tiny budgets
Incredible team and a lovely environment!
Animal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC3 February 2017
It's a fantastic place to work, you're surrounded by resourceful, intelligent and ambitious workers. There isn't time or space for stagnant people.
Pros
Good hours, great bosses, good environment, good benefits
A fun supportive environment
Animal Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 November 2016
Everyone at the SPCA are super nice and friendly. This is the best place to volunteer because a normal day there is I go in and make sure everything is organised and every animal has o=water and food. Then I just get to go play with eh animals so they get used to people touching and petting them. I have a shift every Thursday from 4-6 and I work with 2 other girls both a year older then me. The best and worst part is that I fall in love with the animals but then they finally find their forever home.
Pros
Getting to see animals each week
Cons
That I only get to be there for two hours
Fun Place to volunteer and communicate with outgoing people.
Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC16 May 2016
Typical day included being in charge of all the animals being fed, having a constant supply of fresh water and a comfortable surface to sleep, as well as having the rooms and cages regularly cleaned. They are equally responsible for the animals’ mental health, in particular to ensure the animals are being taken out of their cages on a regular basis, being walked and getting treats. Management was nice and seemed quite friendly.
Productive & Fun Workplace With Good Values
Permanent Part Time Animal Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC28 June 2012
A typical day @ work is cleaning up after the animals, feeding/watering them, administering medications, & performing adoption interviews.
I learned the proper ways of caring for animals, how to educate the general public regarding this care, & the ways in which we as companion animal guardians have the greatest impact in changing laws.
My co-workers were the best! Hard-working, gentle souls.
The hardest part of the job was euthanasia, but I maintain my conviction that quality of life must always come before quantity. It is the most dignified death we can offer & is unavoidable.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing animals adopted into thier forever homes.
Pros
being an important part of the companion animals rehabilitation & adoption process.
Cons
long hours, no work/life balance.