BC SPCA

BC SPCA Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews
My personal experience was that there was too much drama. I'm not one to cry about every little thing. I'm a fast paced hard worker but I was the only one like that. It made me biter and frustrated. There are a few rude receptionist that I was always annoyed with. Management is amazing, but need to make people work harder.
Pros
Animals, Management, Knowledge occured, amazing experiences
Cons
Gossip, drama, politics, pay, not enough employees, East Van.
Wonderful staff, and management. Work environment is positive and supportive. It's great to feel like you are making a difference in the community as well. Sad thing is the BC SPCA being a non-profit obviously doesn't have a large budget to pay their employees, but given that this shelter is in one of the most expensive cites in the province and one of the largest shelters they should most definitely be paying their staff more. Receptionists make a decent wage but Kennel assistants make an unlivable wage. The emotional toll this job has on you is not compensated enough. There is also no opportunity for advancement. There are two positions available, kennel assistant or receptionist. The turn over of staff clearly shows how unsustainable the job is unfortunately.
It was a fun experience and I learned how to take care of a cat and how much care is needed in owning a cat.I learned how to clean out their cages and feed them.
Job is great if you love people. More so for a second job but can be taken more seriously for those that love the thrift store life and take charge of a full time management position.
Everyday was a little different depending on amount of animals in the shelter. I was the dog kennel person and so enjoyed seeing the improvements of the dogs and puppies and seeing them go out the door to their forever homes.. The hardest part of the job was seeing cruelty animals being brought in sick, injured, scared.
Pros
Helping animals find their forever homes
Cons
Management was weak
We're in it for the animals, not the money. We give 110% because we love animals and care about their welfare. We work hard, and getting all those animals adopted make it all worth it!
Pros
Spend time with animals
Cons
Compassion fatigue
I would recommend working for the BC SPCA. The work is challenging but rewarding and the people are friendly and accomodating,
The achievements of the group are incredible.
Culture is one of the best I have experienced. Team is truly dedicated to advancing animal welfare and is very forward thinking. This is an organization I am proud to have worked for.
Pros
Staff Animals Culture Mission
Cons
well i got no time of no wcb and i was told if i didn't goto work i would not get payed if i called in sick also there was 5 min break had job issue's
Pros
no free Lunch's
Cons
break's and first aid and job cleaner's and supplys and cat and dog treat's toy's and tea and coffey
Starting wage is the only wage, no promotions, no wage increases, no opportunity for advancement or to move into new positions. Frequently contacted in your off hours and due to the nature of the job lots of stress taken home with you.
HR will forward all complaints about management directly to management.

The job while incredibly emotionally challenging and frequently dangerous (animal bites/attacks) is worthwhile due to the awesome staff and helping the animals.
Pros
save lives
Cons
low pay, no opportunity for growth, Lack of HR support
I volunteered at the BCSPCA for a year and i loved it, i eventually started working there for around a year but unfortunately i was balancing 2 jobs, both having no set schedules so I had to leave the SPCA, but I very quickly adapted to the environment there and my Co workers quickly became my good friends. Plus the animals kept me on my feet all day, and its nice when you get to spend your whole day with dogs and cats, ect. :)
Pros
Great environment
Cons
No set schedules
Taking care of animals , feeding and cleaning cages.

I learnt how to take care of animals.

Awesome team work and job training.

Hardest part of the job was cleaning up the animals waste.
Pros
Short 4hr days
The BCSPCA is a place that is great for students and young adults to begin to learn how to act as an employee. It’s a very safe place where everyone working and volunteering there have common interests and overall has a very calm atmosphere.
Pros
Can volunteer at any times throughout the day
Cons
not anything i’m aware of
Wonderful work staff. I am on the autism spectrum and as I advocate my needs, they happily provide for me, very kind and friendly with doing so, working on my skills and having the opportunity to handle animals is a big plus.
Pros
Working on life skills
Cons
None so far
Good job If you are starting out and are able to secure a part time or full time position. Most employees start off as auxiliary working full time with no benefits.
benefits
Cons
bad management
Friendly, helpful staff, nice calm environment. I loved working with the cats and dogs on location, and helping incoming people find their next furry family member
It's not glamorous, but it's certainly rewarding. Amidst all the poo and laundry and rotting fish is an opportunity to hand-feed baby birds, squirrels and raccoons, and sometimes the perk of watching those animals that you helped nurse back to health be transported back into the wild.
it was a good job but there was issue with costumers and some costumers followed the leaflet we put out others & we listen 2 radio bonded with friends
Pros
the job was labor intensive and the hours were long know break's
Cons
the staff were some of the Costermers where inasperanced beside's the one's i knew from childhood.
I volunteered at BCSPCA for many years and have enjoyed working with the many animals and people that have come through. I still have very strong connections that place and wish to one day return and continue volunteering.
Pros
Amazing work environment
Cons
Long days
It was fun, got to pets many cats. It was volunteer work that i required for graduation and I love cats so that was cool. Had to stop after a while but it was a good job.
Pros
Got to pet cats
Cons
The employees at this shelter commit every ounce of their being to the welfare of the animals. It it always a warm inviting place to go. I learned so much working at this shelter. Some days were hard but having such a great team of people helped.