BC Public Service

Canada45 reviews

Clear
3.0Pay & benefits

benefitdayworkinggoodmanagementgreatjobwork

Very laidback work environment and good for people who don’t like pressure or tight timelines

Only get paid for 7 hours a day. Employer doesn’t seem to concerned about actual hours worked as the work life balance is the most important thing at this employer. Come in late and leave early is the norm here. Low pressure and really relaxing environment.

Pros

One hour lunches, very flexible work hours and deadlines.

Cons

Low pay and only 7 hour workday.

A great place to work!

I’ve been working at BCPS for a year now and I can say it’s the best work environment I’ve ever worked in. The only sad part is that the pay is not the highest (especially compared to the private sector) but the benefits and perks alone make it worth it! A great supportive work environment, great coworkers. I really don’t have much to complain about!

Insights into BC Public Service

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Very low pay, hard to progress or grow

Very high work load with and no government funding which results in staff working for very low salary compared to other companies. It is hard to move up given the rigorous interview and screening process. If you don’t have one specific skill, you will be screened out regardless if you have other complimentary skills.

Not worth it.

Cons: Zero training. Toxic workplace. High turnover. Awful management. Pretty much everyone starts at auxiliary, but then leaves as soon as they are offered full time once they realize without warning how much of their wages are deducted each paycheque. Wage is below minimum wage after deductions. I worked here for 1 year, and never got benefits or vacation days because every time you move up you start from the beginning again, and they push you hard to move up. It takes FOREVER for them to hire people, so if you lose a co-worker be prepared to take on all the duties of their job on top of your own work. High burnout because of this.Pros: Because of the high turnover, it is very easy to move up and earn slightly more (still not a liveable wage). The union is good. Co-workers can be nice, can be super mean too, just like at any other job, but bullying is tolerated so if you are a bully you will thrive here. Management is absent, so if you don't like management breathing down your neck and telling you what to do you will like this job. But also no management means that you have to figure everything out on your own so only independent workers and self starters should apply. Biggest pro is that you don't have to think about work once you go home. You WILL think about work because the job is awful, but you won't ever get a call in your off time.

its alright for now

flex schedule options, courses to take to advance career. sometimes really long days when they like to pile on the work. lots of talking about solutions but nothing ever changes.

Pros

flex schedule, thats about it

Cons

boring, toxic office environment in other offices

Salaries need to improve to match across the country.

While the job is secure, working as a public servant for the provincial government is one of the worst paying across the country. Those who live in Victoria, Vancouver have it extremely rough.

Pros

Above average benefits, pension plan, room for growth in other ministries.

Cons

Salary, lack of funding for correct equipment, poor communication from executive level to workers.

Pretty decent place to work in all honesty

There are good jobs and not so great jobs, all depending on your ministry, team, department, etc. It needs to up their salary rates - especially for folks living in Victoria/ Vancouver and any other high rent places.

Variable work loads, overall decent place to work

Worked with the BC Wildfire Service, rewarding/challenging/stressful work. Management was fairly understanding when having to miss days. Unfortunately, we were understaffed which led to some burn out among colleagues due to increased work loads/hours.

Pros

Free meal during busy season

Cons

Long unpredictable hours

Only a good place to work if you have no other choice

Before cutbacks during the 2001-2017 Liberal era, BC Public Service used to be a great place to work, with sufficient staffing to get the job done without swamping people. But after the cutbacks, managers ended up clueless about the work being done by those under them, thus resulting in the latter being under-resourced. I was constantly being interrupted with special requests and urgent demands. 16-hour days were the norm for me. The pay and benefits were tight to live off of, given the high costs of living in BC (thanks to real-estate speculators, money laundering, and population growth due to excessive immigration at the federal level).

Pros

Adequate benefits package but private sector often better now anyway.

Cons

Low pay when you consider the workload, Clueless, overworked supervisors, Repeated funding cutbacks means I was expected to do the work of multiple people, Constantly changing job demands due to political-winds changing, Outdated equipment to work with, Onerous procedures and bureaucracy.

Stressful

Entry level positions do not pay enough to cover the cost of basic needs. The amount of work expected at entry level is beyond your wage. Leadership is very process focused and neglects to notice impact to staff. Good benefits, lots of opportunities to work in different areas, lots of perks available. Did not support all staff well during the pandemic.

Pros

Decent benefits, student loans assistance, secure, consistent schedule

Cons

Stressful, lack of support, demanding work, poor pay

Was intresting and learnd a few things

Learnd to do what was needed to do my job . Go less scared of doing something wrong and just got better was a good job to help me get back out in the job market

Secure job with work-life balance but little growth opportunities

It is a secure job and it provides moderate health benefits. Must have very strong self-motivation to work here. Your energetic and good work may be discouraged because of the union environment. Most of the progressive positions are in Victoria, with very little opportunities in other cities in BC.

Excellent, but slow

Great pay and benefits. Very inclusive and supportive environment. Only con is how very slow everything moves there. 9 months from application to hiring. 6 month probation and you cant move around until thats done. Long waitlist for geographical transfer. Left only due to an hour highway commute and the 2 year wait to transfer closer to home.

Solid choice

Great team environment in the office I work in with a positive atmosphere, there will always be difficult problems that citizens need help with but attempting to make a positive experience can be really satisfying. Benefits are great and the same for part time employees as well. If you start as part time you may also get a lot more than 20hrs a week.

Pros

Benefits package / pension

Cons

Sometimes staff and citizens don't like gov't policy and procedures

Closed-minded bullying culture

Working in the B.C. public service sucks. Despite the semblance of progress and order, I had next to no support and was paid a salary that was very close to minimum wage, despite having a master’s degree in public policy and many years relevant experience. They actively tried to keep me from moving in to better opportunities within the service. I was also discriminated against in a number of occasions for being a woman, and specifically being “friendly, young, and fit” ... I was asked to watch my personality as my boss worried that others may be finding me flirtatious despite there being nothing tangible that they could point to that was flirtatious or in any way inappropriate.

Benefits

Cons

Very negative work culture

Pays less than other industries

There was a time when working for the BC Public Service meant you were getting paid top-level wages. Now, however, as an admin, I find that identical positions with the health Authorities or municipal governments and some Crown Corps pay at least 10-12k more a year for the same work, with a much more comprehensive benefits package and more vacation time. BC govt needs to step up it's game if it wants to recruit top-notch staff.......

Pros

Generally stable work

Cons

Underpaid

Public Service Employee

Working for the BC Government is great, they have excellent benefits, pension and salary. I currently work for the BC Public Service Agency, which is the HR shop for all of the BC governments core ministries. My current position is hiring advisor.

Pros

I work with great people!

Cons

In Government they can place you in any job (excluded) depending on operational requirements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Public Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement