BC Public Service Agency

BC Public Service Agency Pay & benefits reviews

Canada24 reviews
It is a secure job and it provides moderate health benefits.
Must have very strong self-motivation to work here. Your energetic and good work may be discouraged because of the union environment.

Most of the progressive positions are in Victoria, with very little opportunities in other cities in BC.
Great pay and benefits. Very inclusive and supportive environment. Only con is how very slow everything moves there. 9 months from application to hiring. 6 month probation and you cant move around until thats done. Long waitlist for geographical transfer. Left only due to an hour highway commute and the 2 year wait to transfer closer to home.
Great team environment in the office I work in with a positive atmosphere, there will always be difficult problems that citizens need help with but attempting to make a positive experience can be really satisfying. Benefits are great and the same for part time employees as well. If you start as part time you may also get a lot more than 20hrs a week.
Pros
Benefits package / pension
Cons
Sometimes staff and citizens don't like gov't policy and procedures
Working in the B.C. public service sucks. Despite the semblance of progress and order, I had next to no support and was paid a salary that was very close to minimum wage, despite having a master’s degree in public policy and many years relevant experience. They actively tried to keep me from moving in to better opportunities within the service. I was also discriminated against in a number of occasions for being a woman, and specifically being “friendly, young, and fit” ... I was asked to watch my personality as my boss worried that others may be finding me flirtatious despite there being nothing tangible that they could point to that was flirtatious or in any way inappropriate.
Benefits
Cons
Very negative work culture
There was a time when working for the BC Public Service meant you were getting paid top-level wages. Now, however, as an admin, I find that identical positions with the health Authorities or municipal governments and some Crown Corps pay at least 10-12k more a year for the same work, with a much more comprehensive benefits package and more vacation time. BC govt needs to step up it's game if it wants to recruit top-notch staff.......
Pros
Generally stable work
Cons
Underpaid
Working for the BC Government is great, they have excellent benefits, pension and salary. I currently work for the BC Public Service Agency, which is the HR shop for all of the BC governments core ministries. My current position is hiring advisor.
Pros
I work with great people!
Cons
In Government they can place you in any job (excluded) depending on operational requirements.