BC Public Service Agency logo
BC Public Service Agency

BC Public Service Agency Employee Reviews

Stressful

Entry level positions do not pay enough to cover the cost of basic needs. The amount of work expected at entry level is beyond your wage. Leadership is very process focused and neglects to notice impact to staff. Good benefits, lots of opportunities to work in different areas, lots of perks available. Did not support all staff well during the pandemic.

Pros

Decent benefits, student loans assistance, secure, consistent schedule

Cons

Stressful, lack of support, demanding work, poor pay

Was intresting and learnd a few things

Learnd to do what was needed to do my job . Go less scared of doing something wrong and just got better was a good job to help me get back out in the job market

Great place to work.

I am new to BC Government, however I am super impressed with the management and the ability to grow and develop. I work with an amazing team and I am so glad that I decided to leave my stable job in healthcare to take a chance and try something new.

Pros

Great work life balance, flex days.

Cons

None yet.

Amazing employer

I worked in an accounting team for a year and it was a phenomenal experience. I gained a lot of experience, worked with an amazing team and overall loved working there.

Do a lot with less

A lot of opportunity to work on some really amazing things. Be open to the government structures, they are super confusing to navigate. The people that work here are super intelligent and amazing. We accomplish so much with very little resources. I'm proud of the changes and projects I have been able to be part of while being here.

Secure job with work-life balance but little growth opportunities

It is a secure job and it provides moderate health benefits. Must have very strong self-motivation to work here. Your energetic and good work may be discouraged because of the union environment. Most of the progressive positions are in Victoria, with very little opportunities in other cities in BC.

Excellent, but slow

Great pay and benefits. Very inclusive and supportive environment. Only con is how very slow everything moves there. 9 months from application to hiring. 6 month probation and you cant move around until thats done. Long waitlist for geographical transfer. Left only due to an hour highway commute and the 2 year wait to transfer closer to home.

Youth custody

I recently started working in youth custody and I couldn’t have made a better mid life decision. Don’t let the academic requirements scare you away. If you have common sense and want flex your communication skills then don’t hesitate to apply. Yes being an auxiliary is tough but they have been very accommodating as far as having to work another job as you work through the call board. Staff have been super supportive and working with the youth has been very rewarding.

Flexible and gratifying work

BC GOV is a good place to learn and grow as a professional it’s also still a sexist culture despite the number of women working for public service Work culture also tends to be toxic in certain ministries

Solid choice

Great team environment in the office I work in with a positive atmosphere, there will always be difficult problems that citizens need help with but attempting to make a positive experience can be really satisfying. Benefits are great and the same for part time employees as well. If you start as part time you may also get a lot more than 20hrs a week.

Pros

Benefits package / pension

Cons

Sometimes staff and citizens don't like gov't policy and procedures

Jobs at BC Public Service Agency

See more jobs

Closed-minded bullying culture

Working in the B.C. public service sucks. Despite the semblance of progress and order, I had next to no support and was paid a salary that was very close to minimum wage, despite having a master’s degree in public policy and many years relevant experience. They actively tried to keep me from moving in to better opportunities within the service. I was also discriminated against in a number of occasions for being a woman, and specifically being “friendly, young, and fit” ... I was asked to watch my personality as my boss worried that others may be finding me flirtatious despite there being nothing tangible that they could point to that was flirtatious or in any way inappropriate.

Benefits

Cons

Very negative work culture

Culture, aggressive

Work is interesting. Do not expect fair treatment or back up by the union if you need it. Management is vindictive and hide behind beurocrisy. They want robots not individuality.

Toxic environment.

Bc psa

Great place. Nice people. Hard work. BC Public Service Agency was a desirable place to learn more about Human Resources. I would recommend working there.

A stable environment with large growth potential.

Assess clients on government services daily. Generate reports and process documentation. Good internal support for training and development. Hardest part of job: affecting personal lives of clients. Enjoyable part of job: impactful decisions where your job is meaningful.

Use you up - spit you out

The ministry I work in had bad management and even worse personnel office. Personnel there lied, was vindictive and prejudiced. Don't expect bcgeu to back you up. their lawyer at the time was lazy and incompetent. The local office has some staff who were prejudiced and were fired as a result..

Pros

good work when you you could

Cons

biased, prejudiced managers

Pays less than other industries

There was a time when working for the BC Public Service meant you were getting paid top-level wages. Now, however, as an admin, I find that identical positions with the health Authorities or municipal governments and some Crown Corps pay at least 10-12k more a year for the same work, with a much more comprehensive benefits package and more vacation time. BC govt needs to step up it's game if it wants to recruit top-notch staff.......

Pros

Generally stable work

Cons

Underpaid

Public Service Employee

Working for the BC Government is great, they have excellent benefits, pension and salary. I currently work for the BC Public Service Agency, which is the HR shop for all of the BC governments core ministries. My current position is hiring advisor.

Pros

I work with great people!

Cons

In Government they can place you in any job (excluded) depending on operational requirements.

Good People

The most enjoyable part about working at the PSA was the people who were my colleagues. A diverse organization that endures regardless of the Executive or political administration.

Excellent

Excellent service to work for. However as I wanted to switch to part time work, there were no p.t. positions available so I resigned in order to see p.t. work elsewhere.

Pros

Great supervisors and co workers.

Cons

No part time positions available.

Fun, Enjoyable, Teamwork, Flexible, Busy

A typical day at work was checking our database for work coming in and developing plans to deal with the work then consulting and advising our clients. This meant having good listening skills to hear the problem/issue and then developing, with the client, steps to move forward. The issues could be labour relations related or plans to accommodate staff or prepare plans/letters to move staff forward if unacceptable behaviour or circumstances came up. The most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with the manager/supervisor to move forward and then following up on the result. You had to work closely with your co-workers for exchanging ideas/results and learning moments. Management was supportive and provided guidelines when required. The hardest part of the job would be coming up with acceptable guidelines for managers/supervisors to abide by while going through difficult situations.

Pros

Flexible time, good working conditions

Cons

Time management during busy times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Public Service Agency. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement