BC Public Service Agency

BC Public Service Agency Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

A lot of opportunity to work on some really amazing things. Be open to the government structures, they are super confusing to navigate. The people that work here are super intelligent and amazing. We accomplish so much with very little resources. I'm proud of the changes and projects I have been able to be part of while being here.
I worked in an accounting team for a year and it was a phenomenal experience. I gained a lot of experience, worked with an amazing team and overall loved working there.
BC GOV is a good place to learn and grow as a professional it’s also still a sexist culture despite the number of women working for public service Work culture also tends to be toxic in certain ministries
Great place. Nice people. Hard work. BC Public Service Agency was a desirable place to learn more about Human Resources. I would recommend working there.
Assess clients on government services daily. Generate reports and process documentation. Good internal support for training and development. Hardest part of job: affecting personal lives of clients. Enjoyable part of job: impactful decisions where your job is meaningful.
There was a time when working for the BC Public Service meant you were getting paid top-level wages. Now, however, as an admin, I find that identical positions with the health Authorities or municipal governments and some Crown Corps pay at least 10-12k more a year for the same work, with a much more comprehensive benefits package and more vacation time. BC govt needs to step up it's game if it wants to recruit top-notch staff.......
Pros
Generally stable work
Cons
Underpaid
The most enjoyable part about working at the PSA was the people who were my colleagues. A diverse organization that endures regardless of the Executive or political administration.
Excellent service to work for. However as I wanted to switch to part time work, there were no p.t. positions available so I resigned in order to see p.t. work elsewhere.
Pros
Great supervisors and co workers.
Cons
No part time positions available.
A typical day at work was checking our database for work coming in and developing plans to deal with the work then consulting and advising our clients. This meant having good listening skills to hear the problem/issue and then developing, with the client, steps to move forward. The issues could be labour relations related or plans to accommodate staff or prepare plans/letters to move staff forward if unacceptable behaviour or circumstances came up. The most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with the manager/supervisor to move forward and then following up on the result. You had to work closely with your co-workers for exchanging ideas/results and learning moments. Management was supportive and provided guidelines when required. The hardest part of the job would be coming up with acceptable guidelines for managers/supervisors to abide by while going through difficult situations.
Pros
Flexible time, good working conditions
Cons
Time management during busy times.
I gained a lot of transferable skills and experiences that I will never forget! Made relationships that are also highly valuable and will also last a life time.
Always busy with changing priorities and a great place to grow!