BC Public Service
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

BC Public Service Employee Reviews

Canada44 reviews

Would work for the bc public service again if the pay was better! Overall a good job. Management was great as well and the tried to accompany your requests as best as possible.

A great place to work!

I’ve been working at BCPS for a year now and I can say it’s the best work environment I’ve ever worked in. The only sad part is that the pay is not the highest (especially compared to the private sector) but the benefits and perks alone make it worth it! A great supportive work environment, great coworkers. I really don’t have much to complain about!

Insights into BC Public Service

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Very low pay, hard to progress or grow

Very high work load with and no government funding which results in staff working for very low salary compared to other companies. It is hard to move up given the rigorous interview and screening process. If you don’t have one specific skill, you will be screened out regardless if you have other complimentary skills.

Not enough support for draining call center environment, micromanaging

Management does not seem to care about actual issues employee is having. Orders coming from the top down seem to have conflicts of interest as such supervisors are also Union Stewards. Toxic culture where upper management lacks empathy for employee human needs such as medical issues and accommodations due to disabilities. Any Union or HR requests/queries are long wait times, and there is minimal staffing to help meet the high amount of workload and slightly unrealistic expectations for call center staff.

Toxic work environment, useless union

Management looks the other way from toxic coworkers, you will work for multiple departments outside of your contract agreement for the department you were hired for, which is a massive issue as it’s evident bc public service wants to take full advantage of you. Union dues are pointless as the union rep’s are constantly rotating positions. When I was hired, I became the person with the most seniority in my department.

Not worth it.

Cons: Zero training. Toxic workplace. High turnover. Awful management. Pretty much everyone starts at auxiliary, but then leaves as soon as they are offered full time once they realize without warning how much of their wages are deducted each paycheque. Wage is below minimum wage after deductions. I worked here for 1 year, and never got benefits or vacation days because every time you move up you start from the beginning again, and they push you hard to move up. It takes FOREVER for them to hire people, so if you lose a co-worker be prepared to take on all the duties of their job on top of your own work. High burnout because of this.Pros: Because of the high turnover, it is very easy to move up and earn slightly more (still not a liveable wage). The union is good. Co-workers can be nice, can be super mean too, just like at any other job, but bullying is tolerated so if you are a bully you will thrive here. Management is absent, so if you don't like management breathing down your neck and telling you what to do you will like this job. But also no management means that you have to figure everything out on your own so only independent workers and self starters should apply. Biggest pro is that you don't have to think about work once you go home. You WILL think about work because the job is awful, but you won't ever get a call in your off time.

its alright for now

flex schedule options, courses to take to advance career. sometimes really long days when they like to pile on the work. lots of talking about solutions but nothing ever changes.

Pros

flex schedule, thats about it

Cons

boring, toxic office environment in other offices

Stressful, toxic and non supportive environment.

You truly are just another number! Management doesn’t believe in retaining good employees. A stressful, toxic and backstabbing environment, where your workload far outweighs your pay. Zero support from Supervisors or Managers. Reminds me of high school but worse and the favouritism is indescribable. You can’t truly understand unless you have worked here but I wouldn’t recommend it! If you are not part of the “in” crowd your life will be miserable.

Could be good, but understaffed and underpaid.

Understaffed teams with too many random software stacks and apps. Hard to maintain any quality. Siloed in remote work. Lots of wheels are reinvented. Business areas are new to the word "agile". Flex days are nice.

Enjoyable times

Some of my most enjoyable work experiences of my career. Paid training program, travelled all across the province worked in multiple disciplines & ministries as a union member and then joining the ranks of an excluded position.

Salaries need to improve to match across the country.

While the job is secure, working as a public servant for the provincial government is one of the worst paying across the country. Those who live in Victoria, Vancouver have it extremely rough.

Pros

Above average benefits, pension plan, room for growth in other ministries.

Cons

Salary, lack of funding for correct equipment, poor communication from executive level to workers.

Good pay, not so much everything else

Pay and flexibility are great but management/supervisors don't help too much. The training was brief and non-interactive, making the first few days very complicated. Difficult calls are hard to handle because information is limited and generally disorganized, leading to a lot of angry clients and therefore stress. Sups generally don't respond well when asked for assistance and will often leave you on the hook with no answer to certain situations.

Pros

Pay and Flexibility

Cons

Lack of support and organization

Pretty decent place to work in all honesty

There are good jobs and not so great jobs, all depending on your ministry, team, department, etc. It needs to up their salary rates - especially for folks living in Victoria/ Vancouver and any other high rent places.

Variable work loads, overall decent place to work

Worked with the BC Wildfire Service, rewarding/challenging/stressful work. Management was fairly understanding when having to miss days. Unfortunately, we were understaffed which led to some burn out among colleagues due to increased work loads/hours.

Pros

Free meal during busy season

Cons

Long unpredictable hours

Good learning opportunity

I like my job - good work environment, colleagues are helpful, and my supervisors encourage growth/learning. There are opportunities for those who want to pursue a career in other ministries.

Pros

Flex days

You are Disposable

You are a number in a box on an Org. Chart. You can be a dependable hardworking employee and in the end it doesn't matter. If you like to do what you are told and not have any opinion or choice... work for government.

Cons

Union will not back you up.

Don’t fall out of step

I’ll start by saying I loved my job with the BCPSA and had no intention of leaving but the current circumstances changed that and I was forced out. The way in which I was forced out has left me in utter disbelief. Never before in my working life have I been treated in a more dehumanized way by management and the union, with blatant disregard for basic procedural steps regarding HR and the union. Even if circumstances change and I could have my job back, I wouldn’t go back. If you work for the BC Government always remember this: at any time you’ll be quickly forgotten and easily replaced.

Only a good place to work if you have no other choice

Before cutbacks during the 2001-2017 Liberal era, BC Public Service used to be a great place to work, with sufficient staffing to get the job done without swamping people. But after the cutbacks, managers ended up clueless about the work being done by those under them, thus resulting in the latter being under-resourced. I was constantly being interrupted with special requests and urgent demands. 16-hour days were the norm for me. The pay and benefits were tight to live off of, given the high costs of living in BC (thanks to real-estate speculators, money laundering, and population growth due to excessive immigration at the federal level).

Pros

Adequate benefits package but private sector often better now anyway.

Cons

Low pay when you consider the workload, Clueless, overworked supervisors, Repeated funding cutbacks means I was expected to do the work of multiple people, Constantly changing job demands due to political-winds changing, Outdated equipment to work with, Onerous procedures and bureaucracy.

Stressful

Entry level positions do not pay enough to cover the cost of basic needs. The amount of work expected at entry level is beyond your wage. Leadership is very process focused and neglects to notice impact to staff. Good benefits, lots of opportunities to work in different areas, lots of perks available. Did not support all staff well during the pandemic.

Pros

Decent benefits, student loans assistance, secure, consistent schedule

Cons

Stressful, lack of support, demanding work, poor pay

Was intresting and learnd a few things

Learnd to do what was needed to do my job . Go less scared of doing something wrong and just got better was a good job to help me get back out in the job market

Great place to work.

I am new to BC Government, however I am super impressed with the management and the ability to grow and develop. I work with an amazing team and I am so glad that I decided to leave my stable job in healthcare to take a chance and try something new.

Pros

Great work life balance, flex days.

Cons

None yet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Public Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement