BC Pension Corporation

BC Pension Corporation Employee Reviews

Canada9 reviews
Management and Workplace Culture
Restructuring organization with way too many changes to staff work expectations and processes and major micro management has degraded staff morale, engagement and motivation. Overall dissatisfaction along with lack of awareness and sense of purpose and direction from top to bottom. With new management's complete incompetency, lack of direction and leadership, it has become a very toxic environment with questionable decisions made with workplace environment and staffing decisions. Will not and has not retained the best and brightest as many have left or retired just around the time of the so called transformation period and this new generation of hiring new staff lacking in moral office ethics and standards and common sense people skills.
Pros
Work location
Cons
Micro management/poor leadership and the worse work environment
An OK work place. Good for stepping stone to other jobs in government
At first I was very happy with work life balance the place had offered, but after a while I realized that there wasn't much opportunities to grow. Management lacks of integrity; all they care is your credentials. You can be a hard worker, dedicated and engaged but that's not enough unless you are certified with something.

How they project themselves out there shows that they are lacking of self awareness and integrity. What they are promoting who they want to be, not who they really are.

If you need a stepping stone job into government, it doesn't hurt to bear the above pain and find something after a few years.
Pros
Nice, modern office, good location, some staff are good and friendly
Cons
Clueless training, lack of opportunities, some management are clueless and has no integrity
Good management
Great company! Management and Executive staff were very helpful and approachable, great staff on all levels. Busy environment. Good pay. Nice work culture.
Horrible environment/clueless management
I was so excited to work here in the project world as they are undergoing some strategic changes. No one has a clue what they are supposed to be doing. Everyone works in tight silos and every manager I interact with treats me like an imbecile. Directors are horribly disorganized and incredibly disengaged. Meeting after meeting of irrelevant and senseless planning leads to a false sense of actually producing something. With so many other great places, skip the headache and work elsewhere. I know I will be soon.
Pros
None.
Cons
Everything.
Awful leadership=frustrated staff
The leadership do not listen to staff. They are in a bubble and, even though they conduct a yearly employee survey, they don't do anything to address staff concerns.

Tons of governance, a high reliance on contractors, working completely in silos, mixed with archaic leadership and old, tired executives make this a truly horrible workplace. Fine to get your foot in the door of government but otherwise, not too much going for it.
Pros
Good staff (not valued)
Cons
Bad leaders, low pay, underclassification
A work family away from home
A great place to work with lots of advancement opportunities if you have the motivation to move forward with your career. The people there are friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people I work with.
Pros
Great benefits
Temp position
This was a temp position for 3 months and I hated it. Just data entry, management was not friendly and unwilling to train.
Transformation inflight
The organization is undertaking a large transformation, causing significant changes to the teams, and increasing challenges to the overall morale and trust in the organization. Teams are focused on improving culture and looking to support employees.
A very busy work environment with deadlines; always room to improve yourself.
A typical day of work would include phone work as well as greeting walk in clients; government employees. Phone work could be government employees as well as their human resources or area contacts.
There were several processes to complete for employees where we did pension estimates, purchase of service estimates and other general enquiries from employees. With government, co-workers come from many different enviroments and are very different. I work with anyone as I learned that you don't have to like everyone but you must work with everyone. I learned this early in my career with the government.

The hardest part of the job was receiving conflicting information from our supervisors of our specific plan.

The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with our clients and satisfying them with the information we provided.
Pros
satisfying job, taking a client from ignorance about their plan to preparing them for retirement.
Cons
like i said there were many mixed messages by our higher piers.