BC Liquor Stores Employee Reviews

Company does not care for it's employees.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 November 2018
My main issue with the company is that it takes 1827 hours within a 33 week pay period to get your benefits. My family lives in away from me and with that and pursuing my passion I have still not been able to get the benefits (which I am told are great) after over 2 years of working there. Due to this however I have gained multiple injuries that the company will not help me cover, and I can't continue to work there in the amount of pain I am in. I was on the phone with HR and asked if they could help me at all and they said they couldn't until I get my benefits.
Pros
Good benefits (I hear), decent pay.
Cons
Management is incompetent, company puts itself before it's employees' well being.
Everything You Need To Know In One Post
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  In and around Vancouver9 August 2018
So I read a lot of positive and negative reviews on here but no one really added any details so i'm going to tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about working at a BC Liquor Store retail location. I've never worked at head office or the warehouse so I can't really comment on that.

The Pro.
- Good hourly wage for a retail job. 2018 seasonal rates start at $17 hour, auxiliary starts close to $18 an hour, regulars (guaranteed 35 hours a week) get top pay of around $22 hour with everyone working afternoons/nights getting a $1 more.
- After you pass your 210 hours probation period (assuming you're not seasonal) you're in the union and you get all of those benefits.
- Benefits - You get medical and dental assuming you work close to full time within the last 18 months, regular raises of about .50 a year, you get all your breaks and you're pretty much impossible to fire.
- They will train you. Something they do pretty well is they are willing to train their employees. If you want to learn more about wine or learn management duties they do a good job here. You might has to ask about these opportunities though.
- No stress job. If you're a non management employee the job is stress free.
- No education needed. If you're a hard worker and willing to learn you can SLOWLY move up.
- You work close to home.
- Flexible hours, if you're a auxiliary with seniority you basically control what days and hours you work.
- Double time, The liquor store is open everyday except Christmas so if you work a holiday you get paid double plus a lieu day.
- 35 hour work
  more... weeks but you probably lose about $5000 a year because of it
- Government Pension. I think you can enroll in the Public Service Pension Plan once you work around 2000 hours. You can search for more information online if you're interested.

Cons
- Although you have a good hourly wage regular's TOP yearly salary is around $46,000 a year, Supervisors and Produce Consultants Top out around $48,000 a year, Assistant managements push a little over $52,000 a year and Store Manager is $58,000 a year based on 2018 rates.
- You do okay if you're in one of those top 2 positions but after taxes and paying into the pension fund you're the working poor. I've worked in stores in and around Vancouver and I can tell you a high % of regulars work 2nd jobs. It's impossible to live in Vancouver or the Fraser Valley on those wages and if you have a family or kids to support forget about it. Even if you're single and not living at home I don't think you could save enough to even buy a apartment. On the plus side though if you live in Port Hardy or 100 Mile House or one of these small communities you are likely a top earner.
- Seniority is non transferable. You CAN'T work in Vancouver to build seniority and then move away.
- Outside of working in a Vancouver store (where you will probably get full time hours within 6 months) it can take years just to get 35 hours regularly. Lots of hours available during Christmas and the Summer and then nothing during the slow periods. You are always on call during the first few years.
- Advancing within the company is very difficult. Outside of working in a Vancouver store it can take years just to become a regular. Advancing to a supervisor or "PC" roll you're going to need to put in a few more year and jump through a lot of hoops. I would be guessing their is a lot of competition for assistant manager or anything above that.
- The higher you move up the more likely they are to move you from store to store. You can be moved to any store within 30 km and managers get moved around every few years.
- I've seen people who want to advance into a higher roll get stuck wherever their at for YEARS.
- Once you take a mgnt position I think their is a lot of pressure to perform and hit sale targets. A lot of mgnt work extra unpaid time.
- It's a dull job. It's mentally not stimulating.
- Rotating hours. Regulars could work morning one week and then nights the next.
- Expect to work weekends.
- Some employees are lazy and others have to pick up the slack. It's hard to stay stimulated putting wine on the shelf while struggling month to month so I don't fault them but it does make it harder on everyone else.
- Managers are 50% okay and 50% terrible. Some are lazy and never leave customer service.
- You will drink more..
- No staff discounts
- You work with the public.
- There's no overtime.

Advice to everyone
- I actually think this is a good part time job if you're going to school or need the extra income. Saturdays are always needed and you can take time off whenever as long as you give them notice.
- Besides that i'd highly recommend everyone else get another job. Go out and get your class 1 driver license (probably takes about 3 months) and you'll be earning more then most people who work here. Most trade jobs start you out at the same starting wage, will pay for your school if they like you and you'll end up earning 50% more then you would here within 2 years. Even 100% depending on what trade you take.
- If you're over the age of 45 then this is probably a good job to take and hack it out until.
- This job is easier for younger and taller people

Advice to head office
- They strongly need to find a way to get employees and mangers excited. Spirits at the stores i've been too are extremely low. Find a way to reward employees. It'll pay off in getting more out of them.
- Continually retrain your managers.
- They need to find a way to keep good auxiliaries and lose lazy employees. Most people can't live working on call for the first few years and leave.
- Since you're ultimately trying to increase sale you need to incentives your "sales associates"
- It crazy to think it's 2018 and a company this big has NO social media presence. They should be on instagram, facebook, youtube etc. Their product consultant's are hugely knowledgeable and could easily give a lot of value. They have the network to promote it, it would educate customers, promote produces and increase sales.
I'm sure there's more but i'm ending this here.
Pros
listed above
Cons
listed above
Some management mentaility needs to move into current century.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 August 2018
Some management stuck in union mentality which does not work well today. Some amazingly nice people and others...could be great environment with a change of energy in some stores.
Pros
Wages for regular employee
Cons
Many...especially if manager not your fan
Fun Environment
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 September 2018
This was a great place to work at. The staff was very friendly and informative. Not only was the store clean but displayed very nicely. I got to work right away and had so much fun interacting with the customers that my shift flew by very fast. It was so much fun upselling the customers and trying my hardest to push sales while being friendly and approachable.
productive, growth within the comapny
Senior Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 May 2018
Working for BC Liquor stores has been a great experience, has a great work place culture. The management team is great and supportive.We are given lots of opportunity to learn, and given lots of assignments.
Pros
Development
Cons
N\a
Very professional management, a lot of commuting
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2018
Friendly management and staff, however the customers can be extremely difficult and it can be difficult/dangerous to call for help in certain situations. Very few stores have security and patrons can become very aggressive. Most shifts are on call, meaning you have to be ready to work whenever they call you. A lot of physical labour and you are on your feet all day. They will have you working at multiple location across the city,
Secure gov't job
Director (Former Employee) –  Head office17 August 2017
Great leadership team, and people you work with. Culture is very much government - so mentality is older, not ready to advance and heavily controlled therefore not innovative.
Benefits
Cons
The workload -extreme!!!
Fast Paced Unionized Environment
Auxiliary Employee (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 April 2018
Everyone working there has been working there for their entire life, which means they will have priority over you. If you enjoy the union environment then it is a very great place to work.
Too antiquated of systems
Senior Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 November 2017
Not a very challenging job, good vacation time, starting to limit the autonomy of the management teams per store, not a lot of room for advancement, company has not yet caught up to a modern retail environment
Good pay, good pension 75% sick pay,extended health benefits...extremely easy work!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was counting lots of money & meeting many, many people. The work is all very easy and you get two 15 minute breaks and a half an hour for lunch. Dental is 100%. Medical is covered and an extended health plan for glasses etc. The pension is A1! If you are sick you get 75% of your pay! If you are sick more than 3 days you just have to bring in a medical note. The co-workers are just as good and bad as any other place of work. The management is heartless. They gave me trouble when I had emergency calls to meet my injured mother at the hospital! I worked with a girl who had a 5 and a half hour cancer operation...she didn't even get a card from them! I brought her flowers a few times and she died a year later.
Pros
Medical, extended medical, 75% pay if you are sick, pension, high wages, job security!
Cons
Heartless management that gives people grief, in times of grief!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC8 August 2017
Good place to work. Very encouraging and will take the time to train you. Because I have a young child the hours of operation does not work for me and also the infrequent shifts do not pay the bills.
Pros
pot lucks
Cons
retail hours
Review
Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2017
Performs managerial duties in relief capacity
Discovers the customers’ needs and assists with recommendations to generate sales
Merchandising the selling floor
Performs licensee transactions
Performs all in-store functions
Fun place to work that is still challenges a person to become better
Manager (Former Employee) –  Prince George BC12 July 2016
It was a great place to work that turned into a wonderful career , and wonderful training opportunities, in customer service respect in the work place and safety in work place was training in WHIIMS and labor relations, also was trained to facilitate courses for the BC Liquor Stores throughout the northern half of province which was a great experience, that I can actually take anywhere with me in any new career
High energy and positive environment
Sales Associate/Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Invermere, BC3 July 2016
A lot of different duties with the opportunity to learn. Management great for teaching all aspects of the business. Co-workers were also very supportive and had the team mind set. Very physical job as well as a fair amount of standing. Every day offered both. Fun and energetic group who also found time to laugh and enjoy co-workers and customers.
Terrible Work Enviorment
Seasonal Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Comox Valley, BC8 March 2016
Season workers are treated like dirt. On call everyday, management is old and outdated. Toxic union environment with regular employees.
Pros
Wage is okay
Cons
Too many to list
Hard to believe this company makes the Top 50 best places to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Armstrong, BC12 February 2014
Little to no training, long time employees resistant to change, lack of support from upper managment
Pros
a lot of paid time off
Cons
archaic business model, and lack of interest in moving forward
Great to work in a community enviroment . Be helpful and learn as you gain experience.
Auxiliary(casual) (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC10 May 2012
Embrace and enjoy everyday experiences. Interation with public while providing a service.