BC Liquor Distribution Branch logo
BC Liquor Distribution Branch
Happiness score is 66 out of 100Average

BC Liquor Distribution Branch Employee Reviews

Good people and easy work.

If you're willing to tough it out for the first few months being on call, it's well worth the wait. It doesn't take long to get full time hours but I'd recommend working two jobs including this one until you build up enough seniority to get full time hours.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. 7.5 hr and 5 hr shifts. No overtime, good work life balance

Cons

Being in call sucks but it doesnt last forever

Interesting experience

This was the first time I had a government job, I loved the actual job it was like getting paid to workout and the people are awesome. But being a people pleaser I had a hard time with my coworkers that didn’t feel like they needed to pull their weight, because there are no consequences for employees who don’t ( I worked with one guy that only took the job because he knew he could do nothing and never get fired. And unfortunately we were always scheduled together and well things had to get done, and they did but never with his help) which makes it way harder for the people who do feel like they need to earn their pay. It would have also been nice if they told me that I could collect EI when I wasn’t working, that would have made it way easier to work on call. That info alone would have prevented me from having two jobs and always disappointing someone and suffering from anxiety from disappointing people. Would I take the job again knowing what I know now? Yes! Hope this helps.

Pros

Pension and benefits

Cons

Never knowing when you’re going to work.

Fun, active and great communication

I’m definitely happy of the work and time given it’s been a great experience with insight and patience. In helping each other achieve a perfect balance between the future of are customers and co-workers.The people are welcoming and friendly and they have great customer service abilities. I’ve definitely learned more. It’s been wonderful thank you 😊

Pros

Holiday pay

Cons

35 hour weeks

I would not recommend working here

You're always on call and have an hour to show up, and they will write you up if you cant work, even if you have an appointment or another job. You can only join the union after 150 hours worked and its impossible to gain that in your first year. They knew I worked a second job, and had my set hours and they called and would write me up because I did not answer the phone. Would only recommend if you like being on call and have no wheres to be at all times,

It’s okay

Let’s see, you are on call 7 days a week so you can never plan anything a head because you don’t if you will be working. You work either 7.5 hrs or 5 hrs days. And management has favourites. Not enough people working to finish the work load. And some people feels they don’t need to do as much since they have seniority.. pay starts at 18 and you don’t get a lot of hours at first. You can go weeks with no shifts. Oh there are no benefits of any kind. You have to make 1800 hours or work or something like that before you can get any extended benefits. Low moral

Pros

Alcohol knowledge, may be the pay

Cons

To many to list

No one cares about anything

They will training and promote you and then without warning and for no valid reason, cut your hours to nothing and start traing another person. This pattern seems to repeat itself monthly and as a result, staff morale is low.

Pros

Cons

You are at their beck and call daily

Toxic Work Environment

When you're coming from the outside, there's a stigma attached to you, you're seen as an enemy that has stolen a job from someone from within. There is very minimal training given to you, which will always come back to bite you in the rear as they'll always hand to tasks and assignments in the Store that required training on systems, which then you are training yourself to complete those tasks. It's also against the rules to defend yourself when customers attack you physically, you are verbally abused by customers and if there is a complaint, never expect the company to be on your side, actually don't expect that at all. BCGEU will back you though, fantastic Union.

Pros

Products

Cons

Everything else.

Auxiliary position is ok, if you can afford not to work very often or have a secondary source of income. Very little opportunity for advancement.

Overall a beneficial learning experience and safe place to work. A lot of customer theft. Majority of the work is working freight deliveries. Not very much opportunity for advancement. Very small raise increases.

Pros

Sundays closed

Cons

Heavy lifting. Customers trying to distract & scam you all day, while on till.

Not that great with giving out shifts....

I was given the auxiliary position, basically a call in if they needed extra people to work that day, I would wait 5 days a week from 8:30am-10:00am to expect a call from them, none, and then I would have to wait again at 2:30pm-4:00pm for them. You could go weeks or months without getting a call so that would mean no income or barely income at all, if you don't need that much income, this job is for you, but if you do, I would not recommend this job.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

You don't get shifts for many weeks or sometimes even months

Good place to work but only if you are permanent

Temporary roles don't get as much respect as those employees that are permanent. It is difficult to be taken seriously and have your input considered if you are not there long term.

Pros

Nice co workers, good work environment, staff parties

Jobs at BC Liquor Distribution Branch

See more jobs

A good environment to get through the day

This is a great place to have a flexible schedule and find time to work towards something that may be full time or you can also be patient and have a full time position as you subsidize your income.

Not a career....That is a 'carrot dangled'.

You will have no hours to start. They will use you like a slave at Christmas and holidays, and then leave you to starve (literally and figuratively) for the rest of the year. You have no rights, and no help from a GUTLESS, UNION...until you hit 210 hrs.....which will take you 2 years to hit.....at their slowly given hours. Pay is good enough to get out of bed for, but you provide boots, clothes. Training tough.

Pros

It pays money, easy to pick up a drink after work!

Cons

Forever to become union, you pay for all clothes equipment.

Toxic workplace

Government spouts life and work balance and understanding but when it comes down to it higher management does what they want. Work environment toxic with bullying and arrogance. Wage and benefits not worth the stress and anxiety on personal life.

BC LDB is a great place to work

BC LDB is a great place to work and the management is also great to deal with. A typical day is where you would grab a pallet mover and grab a slip from dispatch where then you would start your day to grab whatever is on your slip. Very job repetitive.

Good people to work with

It is a busy place to work which I like. We work hard and have fun with each other while we do that. The people you work with make all the difference.

Productive and fun work place

BC Liquor Distribution Branch (BCLDB) is a great company. Working in a Team is most enjoyable part in this company. Provides various facilities to staff.

Hard Work, However Union Benefits Are Great

Typical work day is hard breaking down palets of booze and putting it away. I am not management but have worked there 6 years with seniority. I have 30 years management experience, but do not want it here. Fellow workers are great.

Terrible

No respect shown. Management bully and harass if they target you. Management very unprofessional. Trying to turn into an Amazon warehouse. People are great but management are the worst. Government needs to change management then problems will be solved.

you meet your new family and forever friends

it's a great wage for having no education and a great pension. I would go back in a heartbeat! in the area I was I had great management. there's lots of opportunity for courses.

Problems with Cannabis Side

Pros - Benefits - Roles are delegated - Good wage Cons - Advancement based on an interview. They use the STAR example for all of their questions. They interview as if they have never met you to "keep it fair" but it's a flawed system if you're actually a good employee and have a poor short-term memory, nervous or humble. They recently promoted 2 external employees to a temporary supervisor position. They made rookie mistakes (ie. losing temper / incompetent computer skills or doing all of the work). Then when their 3 months as a temporary supervisor is up, they show their true colours and slack off. And you work as a supervisor without the supervisor position and pray for karma. - Biased leadership. You could be yelled at by a different employee. Report to supervisor and be asked to engage and have 1 to 1 with idiotic employee. At the same time, you could be given a 1 to 1 by supervisor about raising your voice to someone who generally raises his voice to prove a point that he is constantly raising his voice. Then this experience is used against you for advancement and you have to prove yourself a second time, and you do so while keeping a cool and calm demeanor. Really idiotic experiences with management. - Employees with tone issues can get away with a lot. - First aid attendants get paid a little bit extra and do nothing + a week of class room work. I asked for a bandaid, didn't get one because he was "busy." I reported it to the manager. Manager asked me to report to my supervisor. Supervisor goes to the first aid attendant and asks why. Then there is zero -

Dissapointing

Very little to no support for new store managers. I had no formal training for daily operations or being new to a Union environment. This being said it was unfortunate that this was my experience. Would have loved to have stayed if not endured so much unfair treatment within my first year. There are great quality people in this organization but unfortunately are a minority.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Liquor Distribution Branch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement