BC Liquor Distribution Branch
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

BC Liquor Distribution Branch: 151 Employee Reviews

Canada151 reviews

uniongovernmentsenioritystorewageshiftweekexpect

Has potential but misses the mark

There is potential for this to be a great place to work but there are various levels of a toxic workplace environment. There is often tension between supervisors and regular staff. Workers tend to feel like management doesn't care about them. Safety and safety concerns often seems like a joke. Its toxic from the top down. The warehouse manager is not a good person. Its as if he has some hidden adgend with several of the supervisors in his back pocket. There is training and opportunity. Its not always bad, issues come and go.

Pros

Shorter than average shifts, lots of overtime available

Cons

No Christmas party or morale

Good place

Not much to say about the company, as this is a unionized type of employer. Good thing about it is that you get good benefits and salary increases every year.

Insights into BC Liquor Distribution Branch

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

I love the fast pace. Great exercise. The days seem to go fast

I would have definitely stayed but I moved out of the lower mainland. My supervisors were approachable if I had questions. Met a lot of really nice people that were very helpful when I needed help.

Pros

They were very flexible with me

Cons

Early mornings

Productive and fun place to work

It's a nice company to work for. There are lot of opportunities to grow and learn. There are courses offered by the learning department just not limited to Liquor but the general customer service and management skills.

Peaceful work

Enjoyable job. Staff is really supportive. No benefits until you complete the required hours. But overall great union job and will be a highly paid job in future.

Different paths to take

The company Is union and we are fully supported in many different ways. There’s also tons of paths that you can take to upgrade within the company if you are interested. Hours are flexible with shift rotations (two weeks nights, two weeks mornings). Lots of education offered in the liquor industry to help you grow.

I love having a variety of jobs to do.

Working at bcls has made me a stronger individual and I enjoy what I do. You can work in the cooler.. Down pile freight… customer service… learn how to receive freight Many ways to grow. But it does take a lot of time to get a regular position

Pros

Benefits. Holidays Multiple jobs to do. Socially engaged

Cons

Takes a long time to move up the ladder

Don’t bother

Impossible for auxiliary employees to move up. Expect to wait years for benefits, stable hours, etc. Pay is fine for easy work, but if you are looking for consistent work, this isn’t the place for you. You have to be on call 4/7 days a week. Might work 0 hours, might work 35, you won’t know until you get the calls.

Pros

Decent pay, easy work load

Cons

No stability, auxiliary life is cruel

Very busy at times but the work is relatively straightforward.

If you're looking for a job that is stable this is good. The pay is good for retail work. It gets very busy regularly and can be stressful. Sometimes the changing schedule is hard to keep up with.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Varying schedule

Virtue signaling gov't management

Management will give you NO support, regularly dismiss people and give disrespect to the peons who work for them.The union is also no real help, they don't want to get involved or rock the boat, just pay your dues. Overall I would NOT recommend working for this employer.

Fun people, a bit of drama, but lots of opportunities.

I've been here almost 5 years. I find it is a good mix of both the best and the worst people I've ever met under one roof. You'll make lifelong friends here, but you'll also be in awe of just how some people stay employed. Every day is an adventure.

Pros

good work/life balance (plenty of flex days), growth opportunities

Cons

lots of drama

Easy work for good pay

Easy place to work, good pay for what you are doing, management doesn't really care too much about productivity. Just show up to work each shift and you'll be good, no real chance of getting fired like ever

Productive and courteous workplace

The store operates very much like a well oiled machine in way of inventory turn over. Staff support one another to create a productive and courteous team which flows over to their customers. Enjoyed the seasonal position experience greatly.

Fun place to work, must like people both co workers and customers

I loved the job. It was fun and the days went by very fast. There was always something to do. My co workers were nice and customers were great. It is one of the best jobs I've had. The one thing I would say is, when doing the physical labour, ei busting down liqour loads and beer pallets make sure you take it easy on your back. Don't do more than your share. Because if you end up working there for years your body will wear out.

Pros

Fun Job, great benefits, good pay.

Cons

The physical labour of the job is hard on the body.

Best Job I’ve ever had.

Easy Job, hard to find full hour weeks at first. On call is not fun but once you make it through that you are given full blocks of work. Downside shift work, never know your days off, and never know what store your going to be working at. Can be stressful when under staffed. Very physical, can be hard on the body. Unionized, government benefits after a long time of working, small raises every year, pays more than minimum wage, a step into the public sector.

Pros

Leave work behind you, don’t have to take it home once your off. Easy, better pay the minimum wage, government benefits, step into public sector, unionized and, 35 hour work weeks.

Cons

Long hours, shift work, physically hard on body, doesn’t pay enough, takes a long time to achieve benefits.

A good place for growth

BCLDB is a great place to start if you are currently in school. There are good opportunities to grow within the company provided you have the education and experience. Staff is supportive and an overall good experience.

Fun environment

A great learning experience with room to grow. However it takes a long time for them to train you in order to move up. Working for a union is fantastic, with regularly scheduled raises, however its frustrating when those that do half as much work as you, receive all the same benefits. Overall good place to work, just don't expect to move up fast.

Interesting work, toxic and useless leadership

The work is interesting, but the leadership is dire. No WFH option is given to employees.Decisions are driven by emotions of Executive Directors. Certain people should surely be fired for gross negligence and incompetence, but instead are paid to do nothing.LDB is where a career goes to die. Don't bother if you have ambition or want career growth.

Productive structured work environment

As this is a unionized work force....you are required to do only what your position states...at times management has given tasks which weren't in a employee's position tasks. This can lead to frustration n miss understanding. You have great benefits..and lots of vacation time. Busy work environment

A small cog in a big wheel

7 years at this job has taught me that the only interest the LDB has is in itself. It complies with what it has to, and makes sure it’s own butt is covered. Interest in employees is very superficial and transparent. They throw propaganda at you to make you think they care, but profit, slinging booze and making sure their own interests are covered is the only goal. You have no friends working at the LDB. Don’t ever step out of line.

Pros

Decent pension and so so benefits

Cons

Sneaky underhanded, and tattle tale culture.

Great team, great management and beautiful head office

Great place to work with awesome co workers. Stable company to work for. They really focus on personal development and provide courses to develop your skills. The only con I can think of is since it’s government, upgrades/changes take a long time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Liquor Distribution Branch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement