BC Liquor Distribution Branch

BC Liquor Distribution Branch Employee Reviews

Canada110 reviews
Great people and fast paced
Great place to work but you need to be available every day to get more hours and work your way up. Would recommend for students or someone who is looking for part time work.
BC LDB is a great place to work
BC LDB is a great place to work and the management is also great to deal with. A typical day is where you would grab a pallet mover and grab a slip from dispatch where then you would start your day to grab whatever is on your slip. Very job repetitive.
Good people to work with
It is a busy place to work which I like. We work hard and have fun with each other while we do that. The people you work with make all the difference.
Productive and fun work place
BC Liquor Distribution Branch (BCLDB) is a great company. Working in a Team is most enjoyable part in this company. Provides various facilities to staff.
Hard Work, However Union Benefits Are Great
Typical work day is hard breaking down palets of booze and putting it away. I am not management but have worked there 6 years with seniority. I have 30 years management experience, but do not want it here. Fellow workers are great.
Terrible
No respect shown. Management bully and harass if they target you. Management very unprofessional.
Trying to turn into an Amazon warehouse.

People are great but management are the worst. Government needs to change management then problems will be solved.
you meet your new family and forever friends
it's a great wage for having no education and a great pension. I would go back in a heartbeat! in the area I was I had great management. there's lots of opportunity for courses.
Problems with Cannabis Side
Pros
- Benefits

- Roles are delegated

- Good wage

Cons

- Advancement based on an interview. They use the STAR example for all of their questions. They interview as if they have never met you to "keep it fair" but it's a flawed system if you're actually a good employee and have a poor short-term memory, nervous or humble. They recently promoted 2 external employees to a temporary supervisor position. They made rookie mistakes (ie. losing temper / incompetent computer skills or doing all of the work). Then when their 3 months as a temporary supervisor is up, they show their true colours and slack off. And you work as a supervisor without the supervisor position and pray for karma.

- Biased leadership. You could be yelled at by a different employee. Report to supervisor and be asked to engage and have 1 to 1 with idiotic employee. At the same time, you could be given a 1 to 1 by supervisor about raising your voice to someone who generally raises his voice to prove a point that he is constantly raising his voice. Then this experience is used against you for advancement and you have to prove yourself a second time, and you do so while keeping a cool and calm demeanor. Really idiotic experiences with management.

- Employees with tone issues can get away with a lot.

- First aid attendants get paid a little bit extra and do nothing + a week of class room work. I asked for a bandaid, didn't get one because he was "busy." I reported it to the manager. Manager asked me to report to my supervisor. Supervisor goes to the first aid attendant and asks why. Then there is zero
 - more...
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BC Liquor Distribution Branch?
Dissapointing
Very little to no support for new store managers. I had no formal training for daily operations or being new to a Union environment. This being said it was unfortunate that this was my experience. Would have loved to have stayed if not endured so much unfair treatment within my first year. There are great quality people in this organization but unfortunately are a minority.
Good workplace
During holidays or long weekends the workload can be easily doubled, but with my good manager and team I was never too stressed. Friendly workplace and healthy relationships.
Good Work if You're Looking For a Warehouse
Management is very understandable, and flexible. Its only a matter of time until you receive a raise and promotion. Its government work so its stable and secure. A wide range of people so you're sure to find people you get along with. Work is physical, but worth it.
Interesting work space, with relatively easy jobs.
BCLDB is a great place to work as long as you have a flexible availability, and don't mind working shift work. Many locations within the Okanagan are awesome, however I would steer clear of the Orchard Park Branch, as management needs some work.
Fun workplace
Good environment, fun to work , relaxed and enjoyed to do my job.
Learned new skills .

Not so fast paced as other companies I worked before .

Nice people to work with.
Fun and relaxed place to work
The work wasn't overly difficult as a seasonal worker and consisted of cashier as well as stocking shelves. The management was very good in all stores and understood the troubles and stress of a high volume day. Everyone was very willing to work and very excited to work.
Cons
Recall format (Called in the morning to your shifts, so not always sure if you will get one unless scheduled)
Summary
I love where I work. I was hired at a time where everyone was quitting which caused me to be at the top of the list which meant I got full time hours all the time. It took me over a year to get benefits. It's hard to move up positions in this company and when there is a position available the company typically likes to hire outsiders not giving their employees room to expand.
A very stressful workplace with a lack of team spirit
I worked there for about 2.5 years. In that time, I never once found management approachable until a new regional manager started there just before I left. There is a lack of team work and lack of trust between employees and also management. The work is casual on call so there is no work/life balance. If you decline 3 shifts in a year, you are let go. There is no long term management plan to keep staff so there is a large turn over. You do not earn a living wage so other part-time jobs are required to pay bills. Management does not follow union rules and union rules are not enforced. If you grieve or try and talk to management it is frowned upon. A complete over haul of management is needed.
Decent place to work.
There are some negative and positive reviews with some with just completely false information. Like any large company with stores spread out it will vary from community to community.

It will take time to advance and most likely you will not be able to support yourself solely off it for the first couple of years but there is a procedure In place that allows you to basically be unavailable for three days per week (some exceptions) that allows you to have a second job until your hours pick up.

Good company to work for. Decent pay for the work and really good pension and benefits.
Great working with the company
There's a 1 week training for all recruits. They teach you while you are on the job. Management is supportive. Coworkers are supportive as well. They want you to grow with the company.
Seasonal worker
It was a good job in the beginning. I knew it was seasonal so I didn't expect many hours. I had a schedule to go by for the first month and then the following month I was suddenly placed on call. The on-call part was the worst part of the job. Not only did I basically have to wait around ALL day to be notified when to work but after a while, they just stopped contacting me altogether.
Good Operation
Good Employer Good Benefits Lots of Opportunity for Advancement Clean Environment Safe Working Conditions lots of stores to work in unon protection pension plan good dental plan good holidays good clintel good backup good days off clean enviroment
Easy Going
the workplace is easy going and fellow employees are nice and cooperative, Safe environment and good managing in the workplace. I recommend to people trying to find a good work environment
Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Liquor Distribution Branch. Our community is ready to answer.