BC Liquor Distribution Branch Employee Reviews

Like being dehumanized?
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 July 2018
Typical day; line up like cattle to be told what your job is, rather than selecting by seniority. Work. Line up like cattle to go for break. Work. Line up like cattle to go for lunch. Line up like cattle for microwaves, water, food at cafeteria. Work. Line up like cattle for second coffee. Work. Line up like cattle to go home. I learned that I am a number, and that any humanizing facets I may possess are seen as negatives. Management is made up of workers too useless or lazy to actually do anything on the warehouse floor. But, they think they were amazing workers, and know all things. Due to upper management choices in promotions, we have a backstabbing, union busting, poisoned culture. The hardest part of the job is getting out of bed, knowing your plan to arrive at work. The most enjoyable part of the job is going home.
Pros
average benefits, decreasing every contract.
Cons
daily humiliation.
Don't do it
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 February 2018
The only way this company can make any money is that they are a government regulated monopoly even then their is still a lot of inefficiency. Hours can be unpredictable and they expect you to have constant availability even if they give you no work for a month. The job is also monotonous and boring so overall I wouldn't say it's a life you want to live.
Ok But Not as good as some private sector
Store Assistant Manager Port Place location (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 January 2018
In my relatively short tenure at the BCLDB, I have come to realize I am a very small cog in a giant wheel.

medical benefits are poor compared to the Private sector job I had at London Drugs.

Salary is ok, but 35 hour work week makes it not so good
job can become mundane
n/a
Finance Director, Shared Services (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2018
I prefer to provide reviews in person, rather than to on-line job search tools. LDB is generally rated as an excellent place to work, with good job conditions and benefits.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Poor place to work
Class 1 Truck driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 November 2017
Poor supervisors, highly political working atmosphere, inadequate hours, worn out/poorly maintained trucks, inadequate hours to earn an adequate paycheque.
Cons
highly political atmosphere
good place to work
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 October 2017
Great work-life balance - facilities close to amenities, great colleagues, flexible start times, flex "O" days ever 2 weeks, cafeteria, interesting project work
Pros
Flex Days
Good work\life balance
Network Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2017
a lot of changes recently, making the environment really interesting, but still incapable to keep IT talent, due to the pay limitations imposed by the government.
Pros
good life\work balance and good benefits
Cons
good pay for beginners or non IT employees
fun work place
Canada Customs Invoice (CCI) Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 August 2017
Good location and very accessible and great people to work with. Great benefits offered and compensation. Also a lot of room for improvement and future opportunities
Excellent place to work
Contractor - Executive Assistant, Distribution (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 August 2017
Good wage, good people to work with, room for advance. Employees are very friendly and always willing to help. Ability to work independently and learn at your own pace.
Auxiliary position
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 January 2017
Great people, customers. Love the job itself but being on call for the first few years is tough. Everyone starts out as Auxillary and it can take years to become permanent. It's great for those with supplement income ie: spouse, living at home. But for a single person it's tough.
Pros
Great job duties
Cons
Living on call each day
Great job!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC28 September 2016
Cashiering, asking for ID from younger looking customers, bagging purchases, stocking shelves.
Everyone was super friendly and helpful.
Most enjoyable was working with the public and friendly staff.
Hardest part of the job was one drunk guy who came in waving a broken bottle around asking for a refund.
Pros
Union job, friendly staff, happy customers
Cons
Takes years to get on full-time
A joke of a govt institution
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2016
Managers base your performance reviews based on how well and much you suck up to them. Extremely lazy mgmt, no advancement opportunities. Good employees are not valued, do not expect to come in and wow anyone. Management is jaded are at the forefront of gossipmongering and violating human rights.
Pros
Xmas potluck, one day off every 3 weeks
Cons
No opportunity for advancement, flawed management, lack of integrity, corrupt, requests are completed based on if you're liked, competency, efficiency and intiative is punished.
Fun workplace if you meet the right department
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 July 2015
There are some managers who are very personally and professionally flawed but keep their office because of seniority

Workers are good if you meet the right department.

High turnover in some department

Easy to get in, impossible for advancement

Apply, get in, get experience and transfer
Pros
1 day off every 3 weeks (unpaid)
Cons
professionally flawed management (some)
Work Practicum Student
Work Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 October 2014
I was there for about two weeks for my work practicum. I can only comment that the staff were absolutely friendly and gave me a wide variety of tasks to do in order to put my office administration skills to use.
Fun workplace
Relief as a supervisor and product consultant (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford28 May 2014
Typical day would be unloading liqour load in the warehouse. Learned how to recommend the right wine to customers. Learned how to do schedules and payroll. Learned how to order products. Learned how to cash out a till. Our management team seems to change a lot, but they were all good managers. My co-workers were easy to get along with, a fun enviroment to work in. We are always having fun while working. The hardest part of my job was dealing with intoxicated customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with great co-workers.
Good work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2013
An office environment consisting of employees who work together cohesively to reach their goals. As with any workplace, there are some communication problems between staff and middle to higher management which is probably due to policital agendas.

Not receiving recognition or appropriate pay for the work accomplished. Interaction among co-workers who have the same goals is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Union Heck
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hope, BC29 May 2012
Coworkers were grumpy old timer union extremists.

Area Managers are not helpful.

Store Managers are more like store dictators.
Pros
good wage, stat holidays
Cons
everything is seniority based