BC Liquor Distribution Branch

BC Liquor Distribution Branch Employee Reviews

If you're willing to tough it out for the first few months being on call, it's well worth the wait. It doesn't take long to get full time hours but I'd recommend working two jobs including this one until you build up enough seniority to get full time hours.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits. 7.5 hr and 5 hr shifts. No overtime, good work life balance
Cons
Being in call sucks but it doesnt last forever
They will training and promote you and then without warning and for no valid reason, cut your hours to nothing and start traing another person. This pattern seems to repeat itself monthly and as a result, staff morale is low.
Pros
Cons
You are at their beck and call daily
When you're coming from the outside, there's a stigma attached to you, you're seen as an enemy that has stolen a job from someone from within. There is very minimal training given to you, which will always come back to bite you in the rear as they'll always hand to tasks and assignments in the Store that required training on systems, which then you are training yourself to complete those tasks. It's also against the rules to defend yourself when customers attack you physically, you are verbally abused by customers and if there is a complaint, never expect the company to be on your side, actually don't expect that at all. BCGEU will back you though, fantastic Union.
Pros
Products
Cons
Everything else.
Overall a beneficial learning experience and safe place to work. A lot of customer theft. Majority of the work is working freight deliveries. Not very much opportunity for advancement. Very small raise increases.
Pros
Sundays closed
Cons
Heavy lifting. Customers trying to distract & scam you all day, while on till.
I was given the auxiliary position, basically a call in if they needed extra people to work that day, I would wait 5 days a week from 8:30am-10:00am to expect a call from them, none, and then I would have to wait again at 2:30pm-4:00pm for them. You could go weeks or months without getting a call so that would mean no income or barely income at all, if you don't need that much income, this job is for you, but if you do, I would not recommend this job.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
You don't get shifts for many weeks or sometimes even months
Temporary roles don't get as much respect as those employees that are permanent. It is difficult to be taken seriously and have your input considered if you are not there long term.
Pros
Nice co workers, good work environment, staff parties
This is a great place to have a flexible schedule and find time to work towards something that may be full time or you can also be patient and have a full time position as you subsidize your income.
You will have no hours to start. They will use you like a slave at Christmas and holidays, and then leave you to starve (literally and figuratively) for the rest of the year. You have no rights, and no help from a GUTLESS, UNION...until you hit 210 hrs.....which will take you 2 years to hit.....at their slowly given hours. Pay is good enough to get out of bed for, but you provide boots, clothes. Training tough.
Pros
It pays money, easy to pick up a drink after work!
Cons
Forever to become union, you pay for all clothes equipment.
Government spouts life and work balance and understanding but when it comes down to it higher management does what they want. Work environment toxic with bullying and arrogance. Wage and benefits not worth the stress and anxiety on personal life.
BC LDB is a great place to work and the management is also great to deal with. A typical day is where you would grab a pallet mover and grab a slip from dispatch where then you would start your day to grab whatever is on your slip. Very job repetitive.
It is a busy place to work which I like. We work hard and have fun with each other while we do that. The people you work with make all the difference.
BC Liquor Distribution Branch (BCLDB) is a great company. Working in a Team is most enjoyable part in this company. Provides various facilities to staff.
Typical work day is hard breaking down palets of booze and putting it away. I am not management but have worked there 6 years with seniority. I have 30 years management experience, but do not want it here. Fellow workers are great.
No respect shown. Management bully and harass if they target you. Management very unprofessional. Trying to turn into an Amazon warehouse. People are great but management are the worst. Government needs to change management then problems will be solved.
it's a great wage for having no education and a great pension. I would go back in a heartbeat! in the area I was I had great management. there's lots of opportunity for courses.
Pros - Benefits - Roles are delegated - Good wage Cons - Advancement based on an interview. They use the STAR example for all of their questions. They interview as if they have never met you to "keep it fair" but it's a flawed system if you're actually a good employee and have a poor short-term memory, nervous or humble. They recently promoted 2 external employees to a temporary supervisor position. They made rookie mistakes (ie. losing temper / incompetent computer skills or doing all of the work). Then when their 3 months as a temporary supervisor is up, they show their true colours and slack off. And you work as a supervisor without the supervisor position and pray for karma. - Biased leadership. You could be yelled at by a different employee. Report to supervisor and be asked to engage and have 1 to 1 with idiotic employee. At the same time, you could be given a 1 to 1 by supervisor about raising your voice to someone who generally raises his voice to prove a point that he is constantly raising his voice. Then this experience is used against you for advancement and you have to prove yourself a second time, and you do so while keeping a cool and calm demeanor. Really idiotic experiences with management. - Employees with tone issues can get away with a lot. - First aid attendants get paid a little bit extra and do nothing + a week of class room work. I asked for a bandaid, didn't get one because he was "busy." I reported it to the manager. Manager asked me to report to my supervisor. Supervisor goes to the first aid attendant and asks why. Then there is zero - more...
Very little to no support for new store managers. I had no formal training for daily operations or being new to a Union environment. This being said it was unfortunate that this was my experience. Would have loved to have stayed if not endured so much unfair treatment within my first year. There are great quality people in this organization but unfortunately are a minority.
During holidays or long weekends the workload can be easily doubled, but with my good manager and team I was never too stressed. Friendly workplace and healthy relationships.
Management is very understandable, and flexible. Its only a matter of time until you receive a raise and promotion. Its government work so its stable and secure. A wide range of people so you're sure to find people you get along with. Work is physical, but worth it.
BCLDB is a great place to work as long as you have a flexible availability, and don't mind working shift work. Many locations within the Okanagan are awesome, however I would steer clear of the Orchard Park Branch, as management needs some work.
Good environment, fun to work , relaxed and enjoyed to do my job. Learned new skills . Not so fast paced as other companies I worked before . Nice people to work with.