BC Hydro Employee Reviews

A very respectful and professional environment- totally top shelf in work environments
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 May 2018
Everyone at BC Hydro is respectful and professional in there work and interactions with co-workers, WOW, what a breath of fresh air !!!!!!!

I have worked at several places that do not have any workplace respect policy in place and it was a disaster to work there because everyone was like a loose canon and said and did what ever they wanted resulting in a very disruptive work environment.
Pros
Fantastic Work Environment, very Professional
Cons
None I can think of
Great environment to work.
Tier 2 Desktop and Systems Support (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 April 2018
I have been at BC Hydro for almost 3 years now and absolutely love the work environment, the people and the culture. Highly recommended from me and would easily come back.
Productive and fun to work
Executive Administrative Assistant - Contract (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 April 2018
This place was very friendly place to work with. My manager was very relaxed and easy to get along with. I checked all the mails and distributed them. I checked all the work load and if it was too much the other admin will help me.
Pros
Free lunch every Friday
Cons
Long hours of commuting
Great job when we get to work
Summer Hire (Former Employee) –  Lillooet, BC11 April 2018
Great job lots of driving around and safety precautions/measures than i thought, I learned how to rid up poles to be hoisted into holes dug for them, a little about how certain poles are to be rigged up. Everyone was super friendly and awesome to be around. Waiting to do work was worst part most enjoyable was doing the work.
Pros
Great hours steady work and rewarding
Cons
24/7 on call, dangerous
Worked as Freelance writer
Freelance Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 March 2018
Worked as Freelance writer. The management was very nice and they paid very well. I worked at home and delivered progress bi-weekly. It worked well for everyone.
Very professional atmosphere with a team first ethics
Capital Project Manager - Maintenance Division (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC Canada6 March 2018
It was a great work experience one that I would like to repeat again if given the chance. As a contract consultant it was a great opportunity to work for the federal government of Canada. I learned new technical and management skills preforming Capital Project Management function's at BC Hydro. The staff at the Mission office treated me like family. Everyday presented me with new challenges from simple to very complex. I enjoyed my short tender at BC Hydro and look forward to permanent employment someday with the energy giant.
Organization is constantly changing its direction.
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 February 2018
This organization, while I was employed there, was extremely wasteful, constantly doing reorganizations within its org chart, and a lot of the employees felt lost in their new jobs.
Good workplace
Design Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 February 2018
ABSU is a good place to work. Temporary assignment model being outsourced to BC Hydro in a Union environment. Good benefits & continued work on rotating contracts.
Good learning platform
Customer Services Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 January 2018
My customer service skills were enhanced during my work here. I am taking a chunk of experience with me to my new work place. I recommend it. Thank you.
Benefits and Security
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hudson's Hope, BC23 January 2018
BC Hydro is a crown corporation. It has an excellent workplace culture and safety record. Trades positions are highly sought after and it helps if you are a woman or have an indigenous background.
Pros
benefits and job security
Cons
Needs to hire more people
Born in another age.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 January 2018
Stifling. Stayed for the vacation.

Stodgy employees. If you wish to be inoculated against working for the government take a job here.

Culture is great but do not disagree or be shunned. People are very friendly as long as you are seen as an eccentric and not a threat.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
boring
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 January 2018
BC Hydro is a great place to work. It provides a great work/life balance at most departments, salary is average (maybe slightly below average), but very good benefits.
It is a public company. Concerns about the media, and over burden with red tape are part of the day and may represent a problem for a few people.
As any other company, there are good and bad managers. You must try to stay away from the bad ones.
Pros
Lot of time off, good benefits
Cons
Bureaucracy, politics
Good management style
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby and Mission BC12 December 2017
Company was trying to transition to a new type of contract management which focused on a team approach involving Contract, Field Management and Project controls.
Was not a big fan
Vancouver, BC - Solutions Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 November 2017
Worked here for over 2 years. This place lacks heart or drive for anything innovative. Culture is too risk averse and CYA. The one upside here is they buy the latest and greatest of tech albeit at the tax payers expense but execution is tardy with no real vision
Pros
New Technologies
Cons
everything else...
great
IT Solution Architect (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 November 2017
overall is good, many great people here, company is productive and profitable, cultrure is great, people here are nice and there are great working environment
Enjoyable and fun at all times
Buntzen lake park employee (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC20 November 2017
Working outdoors is always enjoyable no mattwer what the weather. the employees are all kind and caring towards your health and happiness. It enjoyable at all times and both being around and assisting park usesrs and fellow employees.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
comute
Suck up and you will be fine
Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hydro, BC31 October 2017
Micro Management
Old thinking and resistant to change
Typical to hear Hydro is different and this will not work as opposed to accepting and adopting
Not a health workplace despite the benefits
Pros
Cons
Need more then the allotted space :(
Not my dream job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2017
The company is HUGE. The largest I had ever worked for. It was too big for me. Everything seemed to move at a snail's space. Lots of red tape to get through. Super great co workers thought. Amazing benefits!
Pros
great benefits!
Cons
boring
Always a new challenge
Executive Assistant to the CIO (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2017
BC Hydro is perpetually changing. If you can manage to weather the storm during tough times, this is a great place to work that offers many challenges and opportunities to learn and grow!
Productive place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB14 July 2017
BC Hydro was a productive and efficient place to work and i suggest others to look for work in that area.
a typical day at work would start out us waking up at 6 o clock in the morning and getting ready for the day
Lunches packed and ready to go
Pros
free lunches
Cons
lazy work hours