BC Hydro
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

BC Hydro Employee Reviews

Canada145 reviews

Relaxed yet fast paced

We deal with very high volumes so it couls get stressful. The pay could be betterBut theres a good amount of flexibility at work and an understanding and cooperative work culture.

Fast paced and could be stressful at times.

Been with the company since 2020. Could be a little stressful at times dealing with irate customers. You team lead or managers are there for support but you do feel like you’re out there alone at times to fend for yourself.

Insights into BC Hydro

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Sense of belonging

Great place to learn and grow but pay is below market.

Great company overall. Your career is dictated by your manager. If you get a good manager then you’re golden. Somewhat tough to cross train and learn other stuff while on the job. Moving within the company is easy until senior engineer level, need fair share of networking though. Pay can really improve. Senior Engineers get paid 89k which isn’t sustainable for Vancouver Area. No bonuses, meagre annual raises if they happen, no raises in the past two years. Good company as a first job or last job (only 5 years count for retirement).

Pros

Time off, defined pension, work life balance, job security.

Cons

Low pay. No bonus. Stagnant career growth after Senior engineer role.

Company is good but has some challanges

Company is a large company and for the most part have good people. It does however have constant change in procedures, policies and reporting requirements. This causes undue stress on the employees to constantly change how work is being preformed.

Poor management

Management always on the side of customer even if they are in the wrong.Management will look for reasons to get rid of you if they don't like you.

Pros

Regular hours

Cons

Incompetent management Stressful

Productive and fun worplawe

Ummm idkr like it was lowkey fun and the people are fun so like I cant relaly complain but bnenefits are good so like I reallt enjoy it and I get free stuff

Pros

Free lunvh

Cons

Overall good environment. Great benefits and quite good job security if you get on.

BC hydro is one of the best companies to work with in BC. Generally a great group of people whom will be there until they retire. The pay is unionized and so the benefits are good as well if you like that type of security. It is pretty difficult to be fired as the union will support the employees. Overall, you would probably not leave this company if you landed a job there.

Amazing

Short and sweet, Bc Hydro is the best employer I have ever worked for in my entire life. Great pay, benefits and supportive management team that actually listens. Great company

Pros

Cons

Can be moved around a bit

Great place to work.

Many different work environments within accounting. Hard work and initiative will be rewarded. Opportunities abound. If there are areas which you don’t like, you can apply to work in other areas. Good work life balance.

Terrible place to work

In my 40 plus years in the utility industry this is absolutely the worse place I’ve ever worked. From incompetent and ineffective management to the abusive culture that exists within this organization makes it a very stressful place to work. At least that was my experience within the group I worked with. I can only describe it as the most toxic environment I’ve ever seen and would not recommend this company to anyone.

Pros

Cons

Terrible management and culture

Horrifying

Horrifying. The manager for a science program had a theater degree, and is American, and it showed with inappropriate behaviour, continually erroneous reports monthly, and conduct that violated crown policy. She was a bully, and despite being obese, felt the need to insult others, including their appearance, to try and boost her need for attention.

Pros

Few

Cons

Many

À Vancouver, très bonne atmosphère de travail.

On ne demande qu'une honnête journée de travail. J'ai eu beaucoup de formation en Communication et un peu en Protection La direction de BC Hydro est composée de spécialistes en communication, alors que le mandat est en électricité. Les investissements se font en équipements de communication et la mission de BC Hydro, la partie 'électrique du réseau' est très négligée. À Vancouver, il y a une bonne culture d'entreprise. Le plus difficile est le chaos dans les plans électriques. Pas de suivi de projets. À la centrale Mica, il y avait encore des dessins qui n'avaient jamais été mis à jour depuis la mise en route, 30 ans+, soit environ 12 projets qui n'avaient pas été faits ou vérifiés. Certains plans indiquaient la présence de 5 câbles alors qu'il y en 20+ dans le panneau. Le plus agréable était le voyagement dans cette magnifique province.

Pros

Formation

Cons

Manque de support technique en Protection & Controle

Old Boys Club

At BC Hydro its not what you know but who you know. Most people over worked and under paid. You have your regular job then ask you to do other tasks.

Pros

Good benefits, nice co workers

Cons

Poor leadership, management ask to much and no recognition.

Old school business

I Don’t recommend this job... stressful as most customers yell and scream. Hydro should address this issue. Customer is always right but or managers throw us under the bus when we’re doing our job as the customer is always right. As agents were following guidelines and still complaint on your file 👎

Valuable experience

BC Hydro is known as one of the best employers in Canada, and since started working there and learning more about their unique processes and work culture, I was quite enthusiastic about developing my career there.

Slow paced and lost at times

Management generally has no visibility into whats possible and whats not since the communication channels at times diluted. However would definitely recommend working here

Productive, very nice people, nice office, parking is aviable and reasonable priced

Productive, organized, person have to learn the BC Hydro rules how the job needs to be done. I learn the importance of the cyber security is taken very seriously. The workplace culture is excellent. Hardest part is to learn the BC Hydro rules and regulation. I like the team work and help of cooworkers and management to solve the problem a provide advice.

Excellent staff and world class employees, culture is very silo'd and top down management

Excellent job satisfaction but significant risk aversion and process driven environment stifles creativity and the support of excellence. Work place culture supports employees who can manage their managers and almost no opportunities for advancement. Benefits are great but overall, a somewhat disappointing experience.

Great pay/benefits in exchange for a negative, stagnant, unionized office culture

Living in rural BC, securing an admin job at BC Hydro felt like winning the lottery. If you like getting paid to twirl in your chair, deal with petty grievances and record-low morale, with virtually no advancement or growth opportunities, this is the place for you!

Pros

Pay, benefits, time off

Cons

Union culture; low morale, disengaged management

Not a good place to work, not a good company to work for!

I worked here as a painter for their Hydro construction division back in the 90's and I certainly wasn't impressed Wanted all 'chiefs' and no 'indians

Good Company

But limited growth opportunities for senior management . Good benefits but pay scale is lower than private sector . Have to be able to manage bureaucracy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Hydro. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement