BC Ferries
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Working at BC Ferries: Latest BC Ferries Reviews

Canada135 reviews

unioncasualcrewsafetysummershiftadvancementyear

Fun and relaxing with a strong emphasis on safety

I've been hired as a seasonal terminal attendant along with 4 others. We competed for casual positions based on our work performance and availability. If you don't have a good work ethic and don't make yourself available for on-call shifts, you likely won't get a casual position. I worked full time through the Summer with some shifts obtained on call while most are scheduled for an entire month, on the last week of the previous month. The management and staff have been very friendly, helpful, supportive and patient as I've become familiar with my responsibilities. The opportunity for job variation and growth is possible with the right courses and training, especially if you're willing to relocate/transfer. I would definitely recommend working for BCF to anyone who enjoys working with the public and has a flexible schedule.

You are a number

Great place to work if you want to completely lose touch with your self, your interests and what makes you an individual. You will be asked to work long hours, a very challenging schedule, then you may have no work at all. There is no balance, consistency or consideration. Pay is medium low. Culture is absolutely terrible coming from the top.

Insights into BC Ferries

Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

It was a long time ago

Shift work, on your feet, in a fast paced, high volume, time sensitive environment. It's much more fun if you make friends there, especially if you're working on the liverboard ships

Repetitive work environment with little encouragement for advancement.

Not A bad job for a crummy company. Worked 12 years with no opportunity to gain a regular position at my home base. Lack of time off for mediocre wages.

Decent pay, good training

Call centre environment is stressful, but even seasonal employees are trained extensively. Pay is well above minimum ($20ish) and raises were offered to seasonals who stayed on past the end of the summer. Long hours and on-call nature of the position made for difficult work-life balance.

High demand , stressful work culture

Company is run by the hr department . On call for all new hire and expectation are unrealistic, no work life balance expected to answer phone and respond at all hours . No pay for being on call and no min hours per month . Pay well below industry standard in most departments. Company and union changed pension plan for the worst with no recourse for some long term employees. Would not recommend this job to anyone

Good if you can stick it out for the long run

Great job if you can last through the on call for a couple of years. Great benefits! Great people to work with. Lots of advancement opportunities within the company.

Pros

Ferry Ride at a discount

Cons

Shift Work

So many things wrong with this company you cant count it all

If you value your mental health. DO NOT work here.Pay is low compared to industry, company doesnt care, they want profit over people.Company is unable to make profit because of incompetence and over staffed administration dept.Request time off? Company denies it due to lack of staff.Lack of staff due to poor culture, pay, environment.It just circles over and over back to a company that is run by people who have never stepped foot on the boats it seems. Riddled with safety check offs that are so high in number, it defeats the practice of checking for safety.Incorrectly paying employees on the regular. You spend hours and hours going over your own pay stubs to find where they shorted you this month.Changing your job description however it suits them. A union that is so far in the back pocket of the company, they just seem to do nothing but make posts about how unfair the company is treating staff and stopping there.I could go on and on. It is really unbelievable how much wrong there is here. Icing on the cake is the abuse you receive from the public with ZERO back up from company.

Pros

zero

Cons

not enough space to list all

Stressful and understaffed work environment

Management does not care about employees well being. Due to short staffing, employees are left with no work-life balance. Employees are refused days off work and fatigued days due to unfair seniority based treatment. Many employees quit because of long hours of shift work and few days of rest. The hourly pay has only gone up $10 in the last 20 years. Individuals are expected to be on call from 4am-2pm and are often refused important days off such as graduations, weddings and previously heard unfortunately funerals.

Pros

Free ferry rides

Cons

Long hours, shift work, terrible management

Great company

....they fired me because I have kids and was 1 day minutes late for work and they terminated me for this. Did good performance while working with them on my exam but didn't do so well on my computer part of the exam and they let me go 😢 😢 😢.. yeah bc ferries. Your the best place to work for. Thank you for my grate experience with your company. 👎👎👎

I want a job at B.C. ferries

B.C Ferries need people to work for them. I known people and myself applying for a Job. Guessing you're need for employees to work for you is not important to you or the people who are in need of a ferry to get home after a long day at work in Vancouver or the surrounding areas. It's just sad.I have a great job and it's not working for BC Ferries 😂🤣😂🤣

Pros

Get to be on a boat in the ocean

Cons

B.C. Ferries are not hiring. They will not not give you a job!! Even with experience!!

Excellent employer but nature of work is challenging

Great people, excellent company. You feel like family and go through challenges together. The nature of the work, transportation industry, is brutal. Work/life balance is poor and easy to get burnt out. There are endless opportunities for advancement but you have to pay your dues first and maintain high standards ofperformance

Pros

Salary, benefits, opportunities and support

Cons

Hours, volume, customer challenges

Good people

If you are used to shift work and don't mind being on call it is great. Good pay and benefits that can be used by casual employees as well as being able to pay into a pension as a part time worker

Pros

Ability to move locations

Cons

unable to turn down shifts

Great place to feel unappreciated

Management is a joke and don’t care for the individual employees. Safety comes second to budgets. Starting as a casual sucks and can take years before you have enough seniority for a regular position, in the meantime you are on call 24/7 and aren’t allowed to turn down a shift even if call at the start time.

Grossly underpaid for cost of living

Horseshoe bay, tsawassen and deas skilled trades are underpaid for local cost of living. Raises dont come close to inflation.. end up loselimg more and more money every year. Poor union representation for skilled (certified) trades.

Great summer job

I love the people that work at BC FERRIES but that was about it. The shift work is exhausting, which creates people missing work, which then effects the ability to get approved time off when needed. They are short staffed, so be prepared to do twice the work than we did before. The pay is ok, benefits are ok, but you pay for the benefits anyways so you might as well just save up for the dentist. You work 5 days on 5 days off on the boat which is really nice, but when you spend the first day off recovering from 5 days of waking up at 330 am or going to bed at 3am, on a vibrating ship it’s not really that pleasant. There is opportunity for advancement but honestly the less you can do there the better, if you want a decent schedule. It’s almost a curse if you have any sort of extra “tickets”. I would say great job for young people who are looking to make a few extra bucks..and can be a really fun place to work.

Pros

A wonderful variety of great people that work there.

Cons

Shift work

The fleet always comes first, employee well-being always comes last.

You will be a an operational number always and management doesn’t care about you or the next person as long as you fit the bill and keep the ships running. Performance reviews are a joke, they don’t mean anything and are done by someone who doesn’t even know you.People are not motivated nor rewarded for a job well done. At most you get a White Spot $20 card once per year.If you need the money, sure come and work for a summer. That’s it!! - Look elsewhere for an opportunity where you are valued.

Runaway while you can.

If you want to work in a toxic work environment, gaslighting management, be abused by passengers.. this is the place to work. I would not recommend working for BCFERRIES to anyone. There are better opportunities out there for anyone wishing to get in to the marine industry. Better off becoming a barista at a coffee shop or a teller at Costco.

Pros

You get to come home everyday.

Cons

Shift work, On call basis to start, Doesn’t pay well enough for industry standards, Crawling back on benefits, Bad management style.

Busy time goes by fast. Great benefits.

The job is satisfying you stay busy doing a variety of jobs. It is rotated into shifts day mid day evening and night. The work force is easy to get along with and emotionally supportive.

Could be good

Being on call 24/7 really is not a fun experience. Management doesn't treat the employees well, just a number to them. The job itself is pretty good besides the odd hours. The people are good.

Busy, fast paced workplace where your always learning and have opportunities for advancement

In the 13 years I’ve worked at BC Ferries I’ve applied to many internal positions for advancement only to find it frustrating the unionized job classifications and/or positions solely are awarded on seniority. A person from outside your department from an entirely different job classification with absolutely no experience what so ever can be awarded the job you applied to within your own department that you’ve gained valuable experience, skills and knowledge and have patiently waited for that very job opportunity only to have it take away solely on one thing, seniority. A definite flaw in the system that needs to be changed so tenure/retention is kept long term

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Ferries. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement