BC Ferries

BC Ferries Employee Reviews

Canada95 reviews
Wonderful people to work with
Fun and friendly work atmosphere. Very challenging at times and opportunities for advancement. I moved into different areas within the company. Very high pace and stressful at times. Early start times of 5:30am and late work times of 12am.
Stay away
If you're a professional driver stay way from BCF Commercial Service's Division. You will be over worked. The equipment is not maintained. The pace in Tsawwassen is extremely fast and stressful. Management is greedy and only cares about putting as many trailers on each sailing as possible. Turn over rate is high and employee morale is low. Wouldn't recommend this job to my enemies.
Excellent place to work
Great culture. Wonderful employees to work with. Felt like family. Enjoyed each day there. Company has a real team effort. They really know how to look after the employees
Pros
Good benefits
Amazing corporation to work for
BC Ferries continues to be a amazing corporation to work for. One can expect to get a a lot of support from supervisors and management. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and training is phenomenal in the work place.
No One Driving the Ship
What this place really needs is someone to oversee what is in the best interest of the company.
Management works again the best interest of the company to punish the employees.

The union is non-existent. The employees fight against one another and the company does their best to exploit this.

It is surprising how backward the management style is when they openly promote the opposite values.
Very great learning experience with meeting people from all over. As cashier we would meet everyone that passes through on the ship, thousands of people a day.
Pros
Meeting people, great view, great pay, great managment
Cons
Long hours and vibrations from being on the ship
Staff very rude.
I wanted to ask a question regarding my dog and staff members acted like I was deeply offending them for even asking. I had assumed it was part of the job description with BC Ferries to deal with the passengers and at least be polite even if they are unable to help
No place to go
Company is good if you are one of the chosen people. Otherwise you stagnate in the same job for years. They are more likely to hire someone from outside than promote from within. Best thing is the pension
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at BC Ferries?
Everyday is different
Working on the ship you never know what the day might bring. Everyday is so different but there is a lot of training so the employees are capable of handling every situation. Great work life balance and good work family.
BC Ferries can be demanding and the travel cuts into homelife
I started working with the Ferry Services in the early nineties and it was a great place to work good benefits and security but over time the benefits were eroded and the general working climate became very negative . I felt I was always working missing most of my family time and the commute took away from home life as well.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Good Teamwork and good community value
Working at BC Ferries is a pleasure. The team is great and people are mostly supportive. The company has a strong intention to contribute to the local community across all locations in BC.
I loved the staff
Loved the environment and people loved the sea and it was hard work loved the job it was only seasonal I would love to go back to work for bc ferries if given a chance
Stressful and bad management.
BC Ferries is a decent place to work for the wage and benefits they provide. But if you're not the "Cool" person to crew/managers there. Good luck getting anywhere with the company because you could be the most hard-working person there and if you're not liked for who you are you will not be going anywhere with the company. Feels like High School all over again with gossips and lying all over the place.
Day to day work is nice for the safely and catering part of the job. Besides that, if you're the person that loves to talk about others and have your own little groups not wanting to be a team player for all your crew. This is your place.
Downhill last 3 years
I don’t have a name, I am a number fitted into a crewing position. Complete and utter lack of empathy or understanding for individual circumstances or difficulties in traveling to work. Management is using Fact Finding Investigations (FFI) to intimidate and cause unquestioning compliance through fear.
More than just a food server
My favourite part of the job is the interaction with passengers. Although BC Ferries has a lot of perks, the job is not as easy as an on-looker might think. The crew member's job is primarily the safety of the passengers, and as such, has to be familiar with all the safety aspects. There are monthly or semi-monthly drills to keep them on their toes. The position starts as a seasonal (which may last for one, two or more seasons before advancement). This means on-call work, no scheduling summer activities, and possibly long tiring days for many days in a row. This is not a 5 days on/ 2 days off job. If you can make it past the first year and are lucky enough to advance to a more permanent position, the benefits are very good. But be prepared to work really hard, because this is by no means just, "what would you like to order?" at the cafeteria.
Good job but will eat you alive
This is a good job in the sense of having decent job security and a decent paycheck. However you will not be treated as a person more as a possession.
Excellent Company to build and sustain a career
BC Ferries has a large and diverse workplace sustained with a high level of Management commitment to Public and Worker Safety, Environment and utilizing modern Business Best Practices.
Great Place to Work
Pay is very competitive for the kind of work you do. Managers and Sups are very helpful. You just need to be friendly to everybody and you will be fine.
Productive and Positive work environment
I love working for Bc Ferries as a Terminal Attendant; it is a very positive upbeat workplace, engaging work duties and friendly co-workers. It is nice being by the ocean, it can be relaxing during long days.
Plan on being on call for up to 8 years, that's how long it took
Management is cut throat and the training is by far none the worst, it is done to cover their added and not to benefit anyone but themselves. Every employee is out for themselves and lacking in teamwork. They say they strive on safety, right!
Fun Place to Work in the Summer
This is an excellent place to work in the summer, but I would recommend anyone applying to have a back up plan for the months of October - April (excluding December). You start off as a seasonal hire, and your contract ends mid-october. If you are career oriented this might not be the job for you as it is a seniority based system not a merit based system. You can be the best worker in your year, at your base, or on the vessel but it doesn't mean anything to the company.

I would recommend new hires have a 2nd job because applying for EI though BCF is hard as it takes a while to go though the office and most of the time they don't follow up so you have to email them constantly for an update. When I say that you need a back up plan for the months of Oct- April I am not kidding. You might have some shifts in Oct but once Nov hits there is nothing. I am talking no scheduled shifts and calls from crewing are rare. December is the holiday season so you will have shifts but when January hits and its back to nothing.

Also you better not get sick during the summer at all or HR will call you in for a meeting and this will jeopardize your chances of getting your casual conversion.

Once you make Casual, you are then on-call 24/7 365 days a year, and they WILL call you as early as 0445. You don't technically have to take the shift if it is under 2 hours and if it is under 2 hours and you decline, there is no repercussions. If it is over 2 hours and you tell them that you can't make it, it is then classified as a refusal and if you refuse enough shifts it can result in disciplinary
 - more...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Ferries. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9