BC Ferries

BC Ferries Employee Reviews

New ideas not welcome

Although I enjoy working with my peers, some management is not very open to different ways of doing things. Many of us were hired from outside to bring new ideas to IT. But they really didn't want to change. Kept increasing the bureaucracy which makes it difficult to be successful. Kept us creating documents instead of managing our projects. More documents doesn't mean improving project success.Culture was mentally abusive and belittling. No respect for your welfare and unable to express empathy. No pay raises in over 5 years. Never felt I could trust management.

Pros

Great team members and peers

Cons

Poor culture, bureaucracy, no leadership

Overall, a good place to work.

B.C. Ferries is a world recognized employer who looks fabulous on your resume, offers competitive salaries, a ferry pass, room to grow (if you have patience) and more.

Pros

Ferry pass, good salary, benefits

Cons

Sometimes micromanaging management, shift work, stressful situations and customer escalations

Co workers are the best part of the job

Worked there 25 years. Got worse every year. Employees are not valued, treated like the enemy, bullied. New hires are often bullied by management as there are no repercussions for treatment or firing of seasonal employees. My co workers made those years worth it, hard workers who cared about their passengers. Management is often barely competent and often to afraid of keeping their jobs to actually do their jobs.

Pros

Free ferry travel if you get time for to use it

Cons

On call for years, management

Enjoyed working with people and getting certifications

Great job. Mostly outside work. Good crews . Hours aren't always great, but make good money in the summer time. Get tickets and they help pay travel if you take the ferry

High pace and stressfull

If you are not a pet of the management there is no room for advancement and there is a lot of bullying and harassment if you do not conform to how they want you to behave. Not a good place to work if you have a young family.

Pros

Free ferry trips

Cons

Union does not deal with bullying and harassment and has no stength as a union

Nice place to work if you are a chosen one

The company talks a lot about training and respect for the employees. But it does not extend to all employees, just those that they have marked as "special" . If that's not you, forget going anywhere. You get stuck in a position and they won't move you, even if you are qualified to move elsewhere. Unless you are union, not a lot of opportunities to move up. People get promoted whether they have a clue about how to manage or not. Lots of micro managers or managers who supervise instead. Don't bother to complain to HR as they will do nothing to help you.

Pros

The atrium, flexible hours, good pension plan

Cons

bad managers, lack of opportunities to move forward

Not at all fair.

Union positions. Lots of nepotism, over worked, NEVER any positive recognition. Lots of back stabbing, someone always after your job.Poisoned work site.

fun place to work, can be stressful

Shift work can be a pain, especially being a casual, but it is a great place to work if you want to grow your customer service skills. Big crew filled with lots of great people

Pros

travel benefits

Cons

Great place to work, competitive wage, good benefits

The ferries is a fantastic place to work, especially if you are young and eager. For most positions you are hired as a casual and once you accumulate enough seniority you can apply for a regular job, where you receive a fixed schedule and better benefits (such as a pension plan and vacation blocks). Being a casual can be tough, especially if you have a young family, as you typically can be called in at anytime. However, casuals are compensated by an additional on-call premium. As you move up in seniority, you start to get a more fixed schedule. Most coworkers are helpful and supportive, and will help you learn the tips and tricks to make the job easier.

Pros

Free ferries, good benefits, shift premiums

Cons

on-call, no guaranteed hours, hard to get time off

Stay away

If you're a professional driver stay way from BCF Commercial Service's Division. You will be over worked. The equipment is not maintained. The pace in Tsawwassen is extremely fast and stressful. Management is greedy and only cares about putting as many trailers on each sailing as possible. Turn over rate is high and employee morale is low. Wouldn't recommend this job to my enemies.

Jobs at BC Ferries

See more jobs

Excellent place to work

Great culture. Wonderful employees to work with. Felt like family. Enjoyed each day there. Company has a real team effort. They really know how to look after the employees

Pros

Good benefits

Amazing corporation to work for

BC Ferries continues to be a amazing corporation to work for. One can expect to get a a lot of support from supervisors and management. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and training is phenomenal in the work place.

Wonderful people to work with

Fun and friendly work atmosphere. Very challenging at times and opportunities for advancement. I moved into different areas within the company. Very high pace and stressful at times. Early start times of 5:30am and late work times of 12am.

No One Driving the Ship

What this place really needs is someone to oversee what is in the best interest of the company. Management works again the best interest of the company to punish the employees. The union is non-existent. The employees fight against one another and the company does their best to exploit this. It is surprising how backward the management style is when they openly promote the opposite values.

Very great learning experience with meeting people from all over. As cashier we would meet everyone that passes through on the ship, thousands of people a day.

Pros

Meeting people, great view, great pay, great managment

Cons

Long hours and vibrations from being on the ship

Staff very rude.

I wanted to ask a question regarding my dog and staff members acted like I was deeply offending them for even asking. I had assumed it was part of the job description with BC Ferries to deal with the passengers and at least be polite even if they are unable to help

No place to go

Company is good if you are one of the chosen people. Otherwise you stagnate in the same job for years. They are more likely to hire someone from outside than promote from within. Best thing is the pension

Everyday is different

Working on the ship you never know what the day might bring. Everyday is so different but there is a lot of training so the employees are capable of handling every situation. Great work life balance and good work family.

BC Ferries can be demanding and the travel cuts into homelife

I started working with the Ferry Services in the early nineties and it was a great place to work good benefits and security but over time the benefits were eroded and the general working climate became very negative . I felt I was always working missing most of my family time and the commute took away from home life as well.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Good Teamwork and good community value

Working at BC Ferries is a pleasure. The team is great and people are mostly supportive. The company has a strong intention to contribute to the local community across all locations in BC.

I loved the staff

Loved the environment and people loved the sea and it was hard work loved the job it was only seasonal I would love to go back to work for bc ferries if given a chance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Ferries. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare BC Ferries with

• BC Ferries
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?