If you are a trained professional (Management, Officer or Crew) then BC Ferries is best avoided. A highly toxic, trouble filled working culture plus gross mismanagement causes no end of problems.
Bc Ferries has a poor reputation in the Shipping industry for a very good reason: a bloated bureaucracy, appalling blame culture, bullying, extreme political correctness, ill thought out working practicies and philosophies plus low calibre management all help to fuel a deeply unpleasant working enviroment. I have met very few Senior Officers having joined from other Shipping companies that hadn't regretted thier decision within a year.
A lot of nepotisum involved in BC Ferries when it comes to career advancement.
Low morale. Regularly, purposefully understaffed.
Good on the vessels and poor on customer service from office politics
Onboard vessels - great!
Office personnel - terrible.
The company culture is maritime at sea culture.
- What are the perks offered by BC Ferries?5 people answered
- Why would you want to work at BC Ferries?4 people answered
- If you were in charge, what would you do to make BC Ferries a better place to work?3 people answered
- How would you describe the pace of work at BC Ferries?2 people answered
- What would you suggest BC Ferries management do to prevent others from leaving?2 people answered
- If you were to leave BC Ferries, what would be the reason?2 people answered
- Does BC Ferries require background check?2 people answered
- How inconsistent are the shifts for seasonal employment? I enjoy hiking and backpacking in the summe…2 people answered
- I live on mayne island and hoping to get a job with bc ferries Swartz Bay area and I was told that t…2 people answered
- I saw a posting for casual terminal attendants wanted for Nanaimo terminal and it said please apply …2 people answered