BC Corrections Employee Reviews

Good Job if somebody have a friend and relative inside BC Corrections
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC3 March 2019
First week of your job you will realize what kind of job it is. Immediately observed that everybody's are related to each other. Most inmate are going to bully you they felt that they are entitled for everything...
Pros
Every employee's and staff related to each other (friends or Blood related)
Cons
Rampant Cronyism and Nepotism inside the agency
Interesting work and great learning opportunities everyday
Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria24 January 2019
Working with BC Corrections means you would be learning something new every day. It could be about people or about best organizational practices or maybe managing change, and for me that's the most enjoyable part of working with BC Corrections. There are numerous opportunities available for people with right mindset and willing to go that extra mile.

The workplace culture is supportive and encourages teamwork. It's not difficult to find mentors; people are willing to share their experience and help you achieve great results. The management is open minded to change, willing to try out new approaches and listen to people.

It's all about people - when you are working with people and want to help them to change their lives you must be open to changing your approach and have immense patience. This means trying new approaches and learning from feedback, but it’s not always easy as change is sometimes inherently uncomfortable. However, the results are rewarding and each day there is a sense of achievement. People with high integrity, excellent communication skills and empathy would be a great fit for this career.
Pros
Learning and career development opportunities, stable job, excellent benefits and pension plan
Cons
Na
Large variety of Correctional Officer positions enhance job satisfaction and career advancement opportunities open even more options
Employee BC Corrections (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC17 January 2019
With a career spanning 20 + years, I have no regrets with my choice to join BC Corrections.
BC Corrections has continually provided multiple opportunities for job enjoyment and satisfaction. These opportunities are a large factor that demonstrate the possibility for a lengthy career without becoming stagnant. In addition to the variety of different positions available from initial entry as Correctional Officer, the further promotional opportunities provide enough incentives for even the most driven career seekers.
The medical, dental, extended benefits and pension package received with this career are extremely beneficial for any lifestyle and in conjunction with the variety of shift patterns available have definitely made a positive contribution providing a comfortable lifestyle while raising my family. The shift-work was a big contributor, well recognized by schools, allowing my constant involvement in my children's activities and events making for a positive work life balance.
If you are considering this line of work for a career I would definitely recommend contacting one of the centers for further information on current opportunities, to make an informed decision based on experienced information. The decision is ultimately yours with nothing to lose and great possibilities for gain.
Pros
Steady income and exceptional benefits. Work hours to fit any lifestyle
Amazing staff, great benefits package and great job security
Correctional Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC16 January 2019
BC Corrections is a lifelong career opportunity that requires high levels of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills. The job duties and work environment are unique, challenging at times and rewarding when you see meaningful change in offenders. The relationships you build and the team of staff you have an opportunity to work with is unparalleled in any other work environment.

With this career comes many amazing benefits. The staff are incredibly supportive and the interactions with your peers is truly like a second family. Pay for hours worked on a per hour basis is standard for the field. However, recent bargaining is expected to see that increase to one of the top in the country. The non-monetary benefits often forgotten are top notch medical and dental benefits, a defined pension plan, incredible work life balance, paid holidays, paid training, a formal mentoring program for new officers to name a few.

Officers interested in advancement are given fair opportunity for promotion and professional growth through a fair and transparent competition process.

BC Corrections is one of the safest careers a person could choose. I have past work experience in the forest industry and the injuries in that field of work were hands down more violent or dangerous than anything I have ever seen in BC Corrections.

BC Corrections has supported me and my family very well through my career. Don’t get me wrong I have had trying times, but that is no different than any other job. The difference is this a career and not just a job. There is every opportunity to exceed even
  more... when times get tough and amazing supports when they do if you’re willing to accept them.

I would recommend this career to anyone with great interpersonal skills, a positive attitude, good moral compass and a genuine desire to make changes in people’s lives. I could simply leave my comments but I also want to share actual comments other staff have shared with me about what they appreciate about their career -

I love shift work, it's a great balance between work and rest

I learn something every day, faced with challenges that force me to think on my feet.

Integrity, and to work with high functioning people. To be part of an organization that is respectable something to be proud of.

A good group of employees and staff.

I love the flexibility with personal life and career. Love the different aspects of the job which makes you think on your toes and is never a dull moment when coming to work. Most of all I love the comradery that comes with it.

I feel Corrections is a government sector that will never be folded or cease to be and therefore has considerable job security. The real 'keep it' factors are: it's not a complex job, it's full-time and pays well considering and lastly, I only really have to work half the days of the year with the shift work schedule.

My career with corrections have given me the chance to find the work-life balance. It has given me the satisfaction I was looking from a career .The teamwork and the relations I have developed with my peers are very valuable to me.

It has provided for me and my family. The paychecks are always consistent and reliable every 2 weeks whether I am at work or not. The time off is great, the benefits are very beneficial and there is a pension at the end of the road.

Everyone has been very supportive and the workplace is an enjoyable place to be.

The Benefits, the 4 on 4 off pattern, you have 4 days to do whatever you want to do, and almost 5 days when you are going into night shifts. For the amount of work we do in a day at the jail, these seem like my days off. With kids, house work and life stuff, when I come to work here it seems like these are my days off away from everything. My 4 days off gives me time to work on a side business. This time off allows me to do what “I” want to do. This is a job I can do well into retirement ages or even more. If you do your job correctly and professionally you will gain respect from all inmates and other officers.

Reliable work, hours have been accommodated since I'm a single mom, and the pension.

KRCC has already been developing in a different direction in my short time here. What direction I am uncertain of as of yet, however, it has been looking like a positive direction thus far. With plenty of new staff being hired full time and a greater feeling of support/safety in the facility this has been progress for more officer retention. Looking forward to the future.

The challenge of learning different aspects of the job

I enjoy the work.

The benefits, and the pension plan.

WORK LIFE BALANCE!!! Can't beat the time off here. So good for people with families, and the benefits are awesome!

Working for the government is extremely beneficial in my life. Not only with what benefits/ pay it has to offer, but the fact that it’s a great, controlled environment with lots of areas to grow in. I would recommend this career to anyone.

Excellent atmosphere.

Location of employment.

Time off, benefits and job security

Full time, Job stability, 4 on 4 off schedule.

Stable employment through good times and bad.

I am nearing the end of my career in corrections and have enjoyed the challenges and opportunities throughout my career. I think this is a business that is changing for the better and I look forward to mentoring the new up and coming leadership team and line staff.

Despite coming and going TWICE; I haven't found a career that supports growth, fairness, teamwork and support like I have in corrections.

Every day is something new, I enjoy the variety and changes that take place in my work environment. Awesome benefits
Pros
Great staff, great benefits, great work life balance, great job security
Cons
none to mention
The Corrections field is not your average work environment and with that comes challenge and opportunity to make a difference.
Leader (Current Employee) –  BC15 January 2019
I have been in the business nearly 30 years and looking back, I can only say that it has been very rewarding, interesting and has allowed me to experience many different roles and opportunities. I have absolutely no regrets and through my commitment and personal vision, I was able to succeed and grow as a person and as an officer. I learned much about humans, both from an officer perspective but also how decisions individuals make that in turn change their futures. That goes for people on both sides of the fence. The culture is very different, the unexpected and challenging all at the same time. I certainly couldn't be a flag person or work for many of the other mundane occupations out there; there is a requirement for you to think outside the box and solve some of the most difficult situations using all of your personal values and skill-sets. That is what I think management always asked us to do. To not only identify concerns/issues but to be leaders and come up with some ideas for resolve. This was key to keeping things as positive as they could be in an environment that can be difficult at times while empowering others to develop. Corrections continues to be a rewarding career and I recommend this occupation to those that have a positive outlook on life, can see things from different perspectives and are leaders not followers; and those that genuinely want to help others become better people.
Pros
Reliabilty, Benefit Package, Flexibile Shift Patterns, Team Environment
Cons
N/a
Worst occupation on earth
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC6 January 2019
The abnormal work environment is structured to pit employees against each other. Workplace moral is subzero because only the worst bullies and evil persons are allowed into management. The recruit their own kind. There is no hope for change. Employees usually become ill before or shortly after retirement. High turn over, therefore it is dangerous to work there when no one is experienced.
Pros
Cons
health
Teamwork
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 December 2018
Correction has had a toxic workplace environment for decades. Management pigeon holes staff in dead end jobs, promotes only friends or family and gets its kicks by bullying and harassing correctional officers.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Toxic environment
Good job
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 July 2017
Pays well. Shift patterns give more time off. If management doesn't like you then no job security. All based on seniority. Men's and women's jails work differently.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.