BC Corrections

BC Corrections Employee Reviews

Canada10 reviews
overseeing individuals who have been arrested and are awaiting trial or who have been sentenced to serve time in a jail or prison. Basically I need to be in the unit with the inmates to make sure they are safe during their custody.
Pros
Stable income and good working conditions
Cons
Overnight shifts
First week of your job you will realize what kind of job it is. Immediately observed that everybody's are related to each other. Most inmate are going to bully you they felt that they are entitled for everything...
Pros
Every employee's and staff related to each other (friends or Blood related)
Cons
Rampant Cronyism and Nepotism inside the agency
Working at BC Corrections is not just one job. There are many different posts available and much training available if you are lucky to be chosen for additional training.
Pros
Many different types of shifts
Cons
24/7 operation
Working with BC Corrections means you would be learning something new every day. It could be about people or about best organizational practices or maybe managing change, and for me that's the most enjoyable part of working with BC Corrections. There are numerous opportunities available for people with right mindset and willing to go that extra mile.

The workplace culture is supportive and encourages teamwork. It's not difficult to find mentors; people are willing to share their experience and help you achieve great results. The management is open minded to change, willing to try out new approaches and listen to people.

It's all about people - when you are working with people and want to help them to change their lives you must be open to changing your approach and have immense patience. This means trying new approaches and learning from feedback, but it’s not always easy as change is sometimes inherently uncomfortable. However, the results are rewarding and each day there is a sense of achievement. People with high integrity, excellent communication skills and empathy would be a great fit for this career.
Pros
Learning and career development opportunities, stable job, excellent benefits and pension plan
Cons
Na
With a career spanning 20 + years, I have no regrets with my choice to join BC Corrections.
BC Corrections has continually provided multiple opportunities for job enjoyment and satisfaction. These opportunities are a large factor that demonstrate the possibility for a lengthy career without becoming stagnant. In addition to the variety of different positions available from initial entry as Correctional Officer, the further promotional opportunities provide enough incentives for even the most driven career seekers.

The medical, dental, extended benefits and pension package received with this career are extremely beneficial for any lifestyle and in conjunction with the variety of shift patterns available have definitely made a positive contribution providing a comfortable lifestyle while raising my family. The shift-work was a big contributor, well recognized by schools, allowing my constant involvement in my children's activities and events making for a positive work life balance.

If you are considering this line of work for a career I would definitely recommend contacting one of the centers for further information on current opportunities, to make an informed decision based on experienced information. The decision is ultimately yours with nothing to lose and great possibilities for gain.
Pros
Steady income and exceptional benefits. Work hours to fit any lifestyle
BC Corrections is a lifelong career opportunity that requires high levels of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills. The job duties and work environment are unique, challenging at times and rewarding when you see meaningful change in offenders. The relationships you build and the team of staff you have an opportunity to work with is unparalleled in any other work environment.

With this career comes many amazing benefits. The staff are incredibly supportive and the interactions with your peers is truly like a second family. Pay for hours worked on a per hour basis is standard for the field. However, recent bargaining is expected to see that increase to one of the top in the country. The non-monetary benefits often forgotten are top notch medical and dental benefits, a defined pension plan, incredible work life balance, paid holidays, paid training, a formal mentoring program for new officers to name a few.

Officers interested in advancement are given fair opportunity for promotion and professional growth through a fair and transparent competition process.

BC Corrections is one of the safest careers a person could choose. I have past work experience in the forest industry and the injuries in that field of work were hands down more violent or dangerous than anything I have ever seen in BC Corrections.

BC Corrections has supported me and my family very well through my career. Don’t get me wrong I have had trying times, but that is no different than any other job. The difference is this a career and not just a job. There is every opportunity to exceed even
 - more...
Pros
Great staff, great benefits, great work life balance, great job security
Cons
none to mention
I have been in the business nearly 30 years and looking back, I can only say that it has been very rewarding, interesting and has allowed me to experience many different roles and opportunities. I have absolutely no regrets and through my commitment and personal vision, I was able to succeed and grow as a person and as an officer. I learned much about humans, both from an officer perspective but also how decisions individuals make that in turn change their futures. That goes for people on both sides of the fence. The culture is very different, the unexpected and challenging all at the same time. I certainly couldn't be a flag person or work for many of the other mundane occupations out there; there is a requirement for you to think outside the box and solve some of the most difficult situations using all of your personal values and skill-sets. That is what I think management always asked us to do. To not only identify concerns/issues but to be leaders and come up with some ideas for resolve. This was key to keeping things as positive as they could be in an environment that can be difficult at times while empowering others to develop. Corrections continues to be a rewarding career and I recommend this occupation to those that have a positive outlook on life, can see things from different perspectives and are leaders not followers; and those that genuinely want to help others become better people.
Pros
Reliabilty, Benefit Package, Flexibile Shift Patterns, Team Environment
Cons
N/a
The abnormal work environment is structured to pit employees against each other. Workplace moral is subzero because only the worst bullies and evil persons are allowed into management. The recruit their own kind. There is no hope for change. Employees usually become ill before or shortly after retirement. High turn over, therefore it is dangerous to work there when no one is experienced.
Pros
Cons
health
Correction has had a toxic workplace environment for decades. Management pigeon holes staff in dead end jobs, promotes only friends or family and gets its kicks by bullying and harassing correctional officers.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Toxic environment
Pays well. Shift patterns give more time off. If management doesn't like you then no job security. All based on seniority. Men's and women's jails work differently.