BC CENTRE FOR ABILITY Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver24 May 2019
A great place to work with supportive colleagues and administration. A fun job, working with children and families in the community (their homes, preschools / daycares, etc.). Very rewarding and interesting work. Lots of support for education and initiatives.
Pros
Great colleagues, supportive staff
Improving every day
Physiotherapist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 May 2019
I have been with the company since 2004 and while I have always enjoyed working here there are recent changes that have led to a much improved workplace culture. Management engages with staff at all levels. My work involves being in the office for writing reports and meetings but the most enjoyable part is connecting with families and community partners which we do at the Centre, in families' homes and in other community settings. There is a lot of satisfaction in the connections that we make with the families we serve.

The hardest part of the job is the waitlists. Unfortunately, due to lack of government funding to keep up with an increase in the number of families that need to be served, families are having to wait longer for the services we can offer. This, combined with staffing shortages puts pressure on everyone. Supervisors are understanding and realistic in what staff can reasonably carry for a workload, but as a caring profession it is still hard when we aren't able to see everyone as quickly as we would like. We constantly are trying to find ways to help more families sooner.

Overall I am happy with where I work and I would recommend it to a friend.
Pros
Lots of support from the team, management that listens, flexible schedule
Cons
staffing shortages, waitlists
Exciting times
Administration (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 May 2019
There has been a positive change in culture at the Centre in the last year and it only continues to get better. It is more transparent and more inclusive.
horrible top management and toxic environment
Finance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 February 2018
i would give a minus if there is such a thing. Do not work in the finance department as the turn over rate is super high due to terrible management team and none of your hard works would be appreciated or recognized. Union is not protecting employees. Putting too much workload and people.
Very Negative Culture in Accounting Dept.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 December 2017
This was the worst place I have ever worked in my career. There was a the most bizarre culture of bullying and blame for the most minor misteps and I'm not talking about accounting mistakes, but just little things like being honest in an email or using two different fonts in a report (The report was made from a template, so the template actually contained two different fonts). People were blamed a lot for things that were not really their fault and rudely reprimanded and made to feel stupid. The financial director had the most volatile temper and atrocious people skills. I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Union Job
Cons
Awful Culture
Fun workplace
Volunteer Daycare Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 July 2017
A typical day would be bringing the kids into a circle and teaching them about safety. We would then play group games and teach them how to get along with each other.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
kids had many special needs and it was difficult at times
Ok job - union
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2015
Not the best
 Conduct intake and psycho-social assessments in order to determine employment needs
 Provide community support through referrals to agencies in order to assist with improving standard of life for these clients
 Conduct continued and referral to resources within the community as the needs arise
 Support clients with application for funding for sponsored training based on clients’ eligibility and needs
 Coach clients to enable positive movement along the employment continuum
 Recruiting outside agencies to provide supplementary training for clients
 Liaise with provincial and federal funders in order to acquire information