BC Cancer Agency
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

BC Cancer Agency Reviews: Working at BC Cancer Agency

Canada37 reviews

Productive and emotionally fulfilling

Working with the population of cancer patients was very fulfilling. Many times people recovered and unfortunate there were some that didn't overcome their diagnosis, which was very sad.

Pros

The patients were very grateful

Cons

The management was extremely negative

Avoid

Avoid, no structure at all. It's definitely a joke!Nothing more to say. Avoid this place if possible.

Insights into BC Cancer Agency

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Low morale

For scientists at the BC Cancer Research Centre, there are huge disparities in salaries that have nothing to do with experience or merit. It's the function of a broken system and has led to a toxic work environment where many scientists feel undervalued.

Pros

Flexible work arrangements

Cons

Large salary disparities

smart colleagues and very nice people

Nice workplace culture. sometimes need to work overtime. Research funding based positions are not very secured, even though your colleagues are very nice, smart and supportive.

Poor recognition for employee contribution and excellence

Worked at BC Cancer for many years and during that time I lead a team to great successes and accomplishments which benefited patient experience and care. Instead of walking away with the vast experience and skill, I thought it would be mutually beneficial to continue on as a casual. I was met with a level of disrespect from management that was shocking and disappointing. I had often wondered why most retired employees never returned but I learned the sad answer. They toss us out like pieces of garbage and stomp on our hearts. My generous donation to the foundation is in jeopardy…

Pros

Opportunity for advancement and research

Cons

No recognition of employees contribution

Decent place

Coworkers are very nice. Management is good. I like their flexible scheduling. The work may seems a little bit challenging at first but it gets better as time goes on.

Zero accommodation

Bc cancer seems like a great place to work unless you have young children that is. They offer no advancement and are not accommodating to women with young children. It doesn’t matter how hard you work they will always find someone to replace you. Bosses can say what they want to you and do not give you a chance to report it before complaining about you and calling an hr meeting. This has been a toxic work environment for the last 5 years and they do not offer remote work opportunities especially when the job can be done remotely.

Pros

Cons

Too much work and undervalued

good place to work

A good place to work as everyone is so friendly but not for slackers-you work hard. Management is very supportive and helpful. It is great working with cancer patients even though many of them may have a dismal prognosis. Typically start at 8 am and finish at 5 pm.

Pros

Good atmosphere

Cons

Cancer patients- maybe stressful

Micromanagement and Stressful Work Environment

I cannot speak for other centers other than BC Cancer Surrey, the center itself is good to patients, however, management has no priorities when it comes to the well being of their staff. There is no room to advance unless you are favored. There is no communication or transparency when it comes to bridging the gap between upper management and staff, and there is no room to further education or take on new opportunities. The center is top heavy. Very disappointing to see such a great organization heading in this direction. The patients are what make the place great, and the staff show great teamwork in the face of lacking leadership.

Great work environment, staff and patients

I really enjoyed working here. I had a diverse set of responsibilities and everyone I worked with was so amazing and gentle personalities. The patients were awesome given their lot in life. It was a very helpful community of people.

Pros

great location, great management, great staff

Collaborative, caring and exceptional staff

It was a pleasure to go to work each day with a fantastic group of people who truly cared about their work and their patients and the patient's families. A truly great group of health care workers working daily in a area steeped in a heavy emotional area of medicine.

Pros

Excellent work environment

Cons

Can be emotionally draining at times

Poor management, poor pay

Don’t work here. At least not if you are a scientist or a programmer. You can make a lot more money other places and enjoy the work more. If you really want to work in cancer research then go apply to Broad Institute or something. If you aren’t an MD then you don’t rate, and no one cares.

Fantastic Workplace with great people

The BC Cancer Agency has been a fantastic place to work. The people, management, and environment have all been fantastic, and everything I did there made me feel like I was making a difference in the fight against cancer, even in a small way.

Pros

Flexible hours, fantastic management

Heatlhcare

Working for the BC Cancer Agency can be very rewarding and can be difficult at the same time. The issues that patients are dealing with can sometimes feel overwhelming!

Great service to patients but you'll need to think hard about working here

The patient facing end is great. The administrative and research end are really hard to swallow. Especially outside of Vancouver (e.g. Victoria, Okanagan and the North). Mediocre knowledge staff with 0 social culture. Very boring place to work.

Pros

many experts

Cons

slow moving, low performing staff

Pretty laidback

Surrounded by friendly and intelligent colleagues. The jobs is pretty laid back unless there's machine qualifications and stuff. There is a beach at the back of the hospital that's a great place to chill in the summer.

Pros

Great colleagues and atmosphere

Cons

Not a place for cutting edge research skills or technical skill development

A wonderful place to work

An all star professional team. So proud of the BCCA for the patient oriented care and excellent team work to ensure best outcomes. Many patients have shared with me how they feel the care they receive from us is unique- that staff go the extra mile for their comfort and care.

Good place to volunteer

Met lots of nice people, and was always occupied. Helped when applying for medical schools. Many different positions available. Hours are very flexible.

Time goes by fast

Great face paced environment where your shift flies by because it's so busy. Everyone works as a team and does a wonderful job considering some of the terminal patients they get.

OKAY Place to work

Underpaid staff ... super busy not much room to grow.. very stressful environment a lot is expected out of you if you are a nursing unit clerk. Nothing like a regular nursing unit clerk who work on a nursing unit in a hospital a lot of responsibility

Pros

Helping families

Cons

Too much workload

Enviroment is ok

I have been a Admin Clerk for 7 years and I am currently working at the BC Cancer agency. Management lacks appreciation of staff and clinical applications are old and slow. Patient waiting lists are 2-3 years and this is unfair in our department and unfair to patient care. I have voice my opinion various times yet nothing matters. Looking for a postion in a field where my hard work gets appreciated and my voice gets recognized and patients are treated fairly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BC Cancer Agency. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement