BC Cancer Agency Employee Reviews

Great people
Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 January 2019
Ive met some great people at BC Cancer. the new management could be better. our previous management style was much more relaxed, caring and approachable.
Heatlhcare
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 January 2019
Working for the BC Cancer Agency can be very rewarding and can be difficult at the same time. The issues that patients are dealing with can sometimes feel overwhelming!
Great service to patients but you'll need to think hard about working here
Administration (Former Employee) –  BC Cancer17 October 2018
The patient facing end is great. The administrative and research end are really hard to swallow. Especially outside of Vancouver (e.g. Victoria, Okanagan and the North). Mediocre knowledge staff with 0 social culture. Very boring place to work.
Pros
many experts
Cons
slow moving, low performing staff
Only work here to get internal with PHSA and then leave ASAP
Junior Animal Husbandry - Animal Resource Center (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 August 2018
Work is repetitive and boring and training provided was inadequate. No ergonomics training is provided therefore many workers ended up with wrists brace or leave without pay due to strain on the hands. Higher management had a superiority complex and let you know it. The people that worked there, especially ones that worked there for a long time, were very passive aggressive and had the mentality "my way is right regardless of how you were trained" and when you tried to explain that this was how you were trained, they would say it was wrong. (Everyone was just doing things differently, no one was on the same page).
You could also tell who management liked and who they didnt, and thus they would let the "liked" people know when postings for advancement were posted while advising "others" that they "shouldn't apply because we need you in this position"
In general, there are no room for advancement, and even if there are its only a $1 difference. Its better to apply for support staff who make $1 less and have less responsibility and better hours.
Pros
You can get internal and look for other jobs with PHSA
Cons
Management, boring, repetitive
Pretty laidback
Medical Physics Intern (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC16 May 2018
Surrounded by friendly and intelligent colleagues. The jobs is pretty laid back unless there's machine qualifications and stuff.

There is a beach at the back of the hospital that's a great place to chill in the summer.
Pros
Great colleagues and atmosphere
Cons
Not a place for cutting edge research skills or technical skill development
A wonderful place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 April 2018
An all star professional team. So proud of the BCCA for the patient oriented care and excellent team work to ensure best outcomes. Many patients have shared with me how they feel the care they receive from us is unique- that staff go the extra mile for their comfort and care.
Good place to volunteer
Patient education volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 March 2018
Met lots of nice people, and was always occupied. Helped when applying for medical schools. Many different positions available. Hours are very flexible.
Time goes by fast
Nursing Unit Clerk (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC15 March 2018
Great face paced environment where your shift flies by because it's so busy. Everyone works as a team and does a wonderful job considering some of the terminal patients they get.
OKAY Place to work
Unit clerk, Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2018
Underpaid staff ... super busy not much room to grow.. very stressful environment a lot is expected out of you if you are a nursing unit clerk.

Nothing like a regular nursing unit clerk who work on a nursing unit in a hospital a lot of responsibility
Pros
Helping families
Cons
Too much workload
A good place to work.
Manager, Family Practice Oncology Network (FPON) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2018
BC Cancer Agency is an internationally recognized research and treatment facility. I worked in the department/network that trained Family Physicians in rural areas in Oncology training.
Enviroment is ok
Administration Secretary (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 August 2017
I have been a Admin Clerk for 7 years and I am currently working at the BC Cancer agency. Management lacks appreciation of staff and clinical applications are old and slow. Patient waiting lists are 2-3 years and this is unfair in our department and unfair to patient care. I have voice my opinion various times yet nothing matters. Looking for a postion in a field where my hard work gets appreciated and my voice gets recognized and patients are treated fairly.
Fun workplace with a fantastic work ethic led by great management
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 July 2017
Always pressed to learn new things and challenge yourself. Working on my own project, my supervisor and coworkers helped me always set goals for myself and constantly learn of new things to apply to my work.
Great team work
Pharmacy Technician/Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2017
Working at the Cancer Agency has been a great learning experience, and a very rewarding one!
Been able to provide care to our cancer patients feels very special to me.
University Part Time Job
Lab and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 December 2016
I was a lab technician and research assistant. Unless you have a supervisor that cares, it can be a place you might stagnate. Always look to move from your current position within 6 months.
Fullfilling work in a Health Care facility
Health Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 November 2016
The work you do helps the Health Care professionals care for the patients. They need up-to-date information available to them so they can decide on treatments and know how the patient is progressing in their disease. It may not be glamorous work but it's important.
Pros
fullfilling work
Cons
no payraises
Great Team
Health Records Technician, Screening Program (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 November 2016
A typical day at work varies, some days under pressure to meet deadlines and some days are good. I learned new diagnosis codes and my coworkers are fun to be with.The hardest part of my job is the commute but the most enjoyable part of the job is providing care to the patients.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
commute
Everybody at the cancer agency worked very hard
Cyclotron Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 October 2016
Being able to help people who need treatment is very rewarding. I learned a lot from the people working there. Is a nice working environment.
Pros
good management
Cons
early times
Interesting work going on there, but disorganized
Project Manager II (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2016
Some smart people with good intentions, but very politically-driven with too many silos of sub culture. Organizational structure needs to be reviewed as well.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Not great culture
Good environment and productive job securiety and advancement
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 November 2015
Overall rating - Excellent

Job Work/Life Balance - very good

Salary/Benefits - good

Job Security/Advancement- good opportunity for advancement& job security

Management - very good

Job Culture - Enjoyed working with my co worked and work was really great
Pros
Learned also about the Finance Department where I wanted start my career in finance
Cons
driving to work burnaby in rush hours
Very enjoyable job
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 September 2015
great place to work.
I learned a lot of compassion and how to empathize with people in their time of need. A great experience working here.