Bayfield Treatment Centres Employee Reviews

Featured review
Bayfield Treatment Centres selected this as a representative review
Excellent supervision, amazingly rewarding
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON12 April 2019
It is such a pleasure to work for Bayfield! Each youth comes with a different background and different needs that all staff work to support. Bayfield provides training, amazing supervision, and the opportunity to positively influence families. Working with vulnerable youth is never easy, but management is there to support both the kids and you, and the job is extremely rewarding. I feel extremely lucky to be able to do such fulfilling work with such amazing people!
Pros
great supervision, training, rewarding experience
Cons
must be able to do a lot of driving
Feedback
Residential (Current Employee) –  Consecon, ON29 July 2019
Love working here, love the management team. I feel supported and have been presented with many opportunities. The pay is fair. Would like to see some incentives for employee success, employed of the month.
It takes a Village
Residential (Current Employee) –  Consecon, ON29 July 2019
Bayfield is a fast paced environment that is filled with variety but also scheduled day to day activities.

With the individual work and the team work of each job Bayfield makes up a small village that is working with vulnerable youth to better their futures.

Everyday may not be instant gratification but there are many little moments that make your job worth it leaving you with fulfillment and accomplishment from your career.
Good Place To Work
Residential (Current Employee) –  Consecon, ON29 July 2019
Is an equal opportunity employer.
Established company.
Work is very personable and not a 9 to 5.
Work can be very fun experience as long as you are willing to put in the effort.
untrained, inexperienced staff and poor and absent management
CCT1 (Former Employee) –  Consecon, ON26 June 2019
Was there three years and management will use you in whatever way you let them to until you're completely dry. They'll lie and cheat you in whatever way possible and if you say no, they'll essentially outcast you. There was 450+ staff in and out of the facility in my time at Bayfield. There are approx. 35 positions.

One of the former staff had several allegations against him by a female youth and quit, lived with this youth in a romantic relationship only to later be in Napanee Jail for Child Luring. Bayfield had all the warning signs and turned a blind eye to this, as per usual.

Bayfield doesn't train staff either than a single shadow shift and a few hours of policies and procedures. Their screening process for staff is almost non existent. A lot of mentally unstable folks get hired and do some very questionable things. Most staff hired are 18 or 19 years old and can barely tie their own shoes, never mind implement treatment plans for at risk youth for the 6 to 8000 monthly fees.

They cut the food budget and have nearly no programming for the youth outside of the facility. It's basically the last place a child should go to for help. It's like hiring an 18 year old baby-sitter to deal with a behaviorally challenged youth without camera supervision, allowing them to physically intervene when necessary and medicate them when agitated or struggling to cope.

There is minimal treatment going on and very few qualified staff (maybe 3 or 4 competent staff) to implement any sort of treatment. It's essentially a holding facility for children in the system to earn Larry
  more... Sanders and his ownership group a quick buck. They're completely detached and absent from the daily running of the facility. The owners don't even recognize or know which staff have been there 20 years.

You'll be told that you must stay past your shift by the lazy and extremely unmotivated Support Staff. They'll essentially break every rule in the book but tell you that it's fine because they haven't been caught by CAS yet. Support staff will have you run around Consecon like a chicken with your head cut off while they sit inside of a van or their personal car, and take all the credit for your hours of counselling.

Numerous youth had close calls to the morgue while I was there. Most of the time all of the incidents could have been prevented if there were competent staff being paid appropriate and proportional wages.

Wages are awful. There is literally no advancement. They'll lie and tell you that there is hope to gain supervisor roles and string you along until you're fed up.

Union is completely useless. A total waste of your hard earned money.

They've had the same issues for over 10 years and they've not really changed a single thing. In fact, they cut a few positions then gave raises to some Dinosaurs that leave sometimes four hours early in their shift instead of actually teaching and training staff.

There's such a lack of care and competency at Bayfield that you'll be astonished and completely baffled by your experience. They'll hire anyone with a heart-beat and without a criminal offense, so you'll get hired most likely. You'll also quit within a few weeks. My biggest regret is not quitting in my first 3 months and slaving away for the unappreciative supervisors and ownership.
Pros
You'll learn if you can sink or swim in a volatile and unsupported environment
Cons
Everything listed above and more.
11 July 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback about your employment at Bayfield. It is unfortunate that you did not have a positive experience and have misrepresented some of the information in your review. You are so right about employee recognition being important to the success of employees. This topic is at the centre of many discussions across the organization and your feedback reinforces it's importance!

Best of luck in your future endeavours and finding employment that is a better fit for yourself.

Great experience, great staff for the most part.
Child Care Therapist (Former Employee) –  Consecon, ON20 June 2019
For alot of young people in this field Bayfield is usually the first stop for those living in the area. I myself learned alot working there and made life long friends with the co workers I met along the way. I couldn't imagine staying there for any longer than a few years as it is easy to get burnt out in this environment. There was always an us vs them mentality when it came to management but overall I would say this place is a great stepping stone to get some experience under your belt.
11 July 2019

Thank you for taking time for providing feedback about your employment at Bayfied. We couldn't agree more that working with our youth is challenging but can be also a rewarding experience. Your feedback reinforces that exact thought. Best of luck with your future employment!

Good Entry Position -- Terrible Employer
Treatment Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Consecon, ON19 June 2019
For recent graduates -- it is a good stepping stone to gain valuable work experience to assist in landing bigger and better jobs but in and of itself Bayfield staff are underpaid, overworked and the employer does not value or appreciate it's staff.
11 July 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback of your experience working at Bayfield. We are very proud of the work that our teams do and acknowledge that this can be very challenging, but rewarding, work at times and that this profession is not a good fit for everyone that applies here. We have many long-term team members that have worked here for 15 to 30 years and we’d love to better understand any issues you experienced that prevented you from becoming one of these employees. Please feel free to confidentially message us at bayfield@bayfield.net. Best of luck in your future endeavours!

Was very stressful, but lots of learning oppotunities
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 April 2019
One of my first positions in the field of child and youth care. I've learned a lot from working here. Not enough opportunity for growth, long work days.
A great place to work
Youth Support Worker (Current Employee) –  York Region Foster Homes13 April 2019
I've loved working for Bayfield. The hours are flexible and easily balanced with a second job or post secondary schooling. The foster families are caring and welcoming and management is fantastic. All supervisors have been amazing to me, taking time to make sure I am comfortable in every situation and always available for debriefing. I've always felt appreciated and valued in the team (which is an important thing for me and has kept me at Bayfield for so long). I love being able to work with a wide range of ages and a wide range of needs. Working in family model foster homes is fun because you can build relationships with youth in a laid back setting and there is a sense of family oftentimes. There is lots of driving involved with the job but also opportunities to participate in lots of fun activities with the kids.
Pros
Flexible hours, very supportive management team, laid back environment
Cons
Lots of driving, some stressful situations
Great Experience
Part time worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2019
This job gives you experiences like no other. You are able to work with a variety of youth who come from different backgrounds and help them develop into great people. It also allows you to create great bonds with other people and allows you to recognize not every person is the same.
Pros
new lessons
Cons
n/a
Amazing
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  GTA10 April 2019
Bayfield is an amazing agency. Supervisors are very caring and supportive. The client are amazing and can provide a great learning experience. Overall, a great place to work.
Unorganized,Under Staffed, Unsafe Work Environment
Child Care Therapist (Former Employee) –  Consecon, ON29 March 2019
BTC is by far the worst place I have ever worked! Years ago it was a pretty good place to work to gain experience and knowledge. Now all it is, is kids arguing kids! A majority of the staff are fresh out of school (which is not an issue but having NO senior staff to mentor it’s a huge problem) very immature staff who participate in the behaviours you are trying to curb from the youth. Staff are not trained enough especially with restraints, there is no training for suicide prevention/intervention (which you deal with daily), staff are scared of most youth (you are constantly wondering if you have support in your house), there is no support in place for staff after restraints or any other situations you may go through, no one follows up to see if staff are okay mentally or physically! Constantly short staffed, over worked. You work your 12 hr shift but can be forced to stay many hours after you are done. Overall, Bayfield is extremely unsafe and a horrible place to work, to be paid so little to deal with that mentally and physically draining situations everyday is not healthy. BTC only cares about the money, not the kids and definitely not their staff! Stay away there are many other places that are decent to gain experience and be paid what you are worth!
There is a reason why so many of their houses were shut down and sold!
Pros
Experience but not the best place to gain it at all!
Cons
Horrible pay!! Staff are not trained enough for violent/suicidal youth.
Not respected at all.
Youth Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON16 March 2019
I worked at the Pickering house as a part time staff. The pay is awful for part time staff compared to the full timers (the 3 primary workers for the house) We only get 2 dollars more than minimum wage so staff are constantly calling in sick or switching shifts so they can work at their other jobs that pay more. The part timers are treated badly by management and the full timers. Our opinions and feedback don't matter at all to them and were not shown any respect or appreciation for anything. I enjoyed working with the 3 clients that lived there and it was rewarding getting to support them but this was not a nice environment to work in because of the management and the full timers. The politics are bad and the place is in deseparate need of a union.
Pros
Working with the other part time staff was great.
Cons
Bad management.
Not respected at all
Youth Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON10 January 2019
I worked at the Pickering house as a part time staff. The pay is really bad for part time compared to the full timers. We only get 2 dollars more than minimum wage so staff are constantly calling in sick or switching shifts so they can work at their other jobs that pay more. The part timers are treated badly by management and the full timers. Our opinions and feedback don't matter at all to them and were not shown any respect or appreciation. I enjoyed working with the 3 clients that lived there and it was rewarding getting to support them but this was not a nice environment to work in because of the management and the full timers.
Pros
The other part timers are fun to work with.
Cons
Bad management
Meh
Child Care Therapist (Former Employee) –  Consecon, ON5 December 2018
Great experience overall but everything about this position is a risk to your health and reputation. This position makes for great interview questions but you will burn out fast. I got in and out.
Pros
Relationship building, de-escalating interventions
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Poor Quality Co-Workers, Management, CAS hates you
Bayfield is a great place to work.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON8 November 2018
Bayfield is a great place to work. The clients are fun to work with and we enjoy a lot of community outings. The team is very supportive. The home feels like a home instead of a group home. The management team is supportive and believe me we have directors attending our team meetings. Such a great team environment where everyone has the same goals in mind for the client's benefit.
Pros
Good food, nice home, great team work, supportive families, free trainings to improve your knowledge
Cons
Can't think of any. Such a nice atmosphere!
Learning Opportunity
Child Care Therapist (Current Employee) –  Consecon, ON8 August 2018
You are working with some of the most high risk youth all over Canada. These kids come from many backgrounds and cultures which the agency supports. I love working here. This is a great place to decide if residential treatment is right for you. You are trained; you have support available, on call etc. You learn to hone your skills of de escalation and therapeutic techniques. The kids are following a program designed for attachment theory and are provided training for all frontline.
Pros
Great place to learn about behaviour
Cons
It can be difficult to fill a shift last minute
Stressful environment which comes with the job but poor management and and no thought to self care.
CCT (Former Employee) –  Consecon, ON6 February 2018
Only positives I have for this place is the youths themselves. If you as staff can handle crisis situations and the demands of dealing with high risk youths then this can be rewarding for both the youth and yourself. Its unfortunate that the management fail to recognize toxic employees.. fail to sepearate business and pleasure..fail to weed out employees who are troubled themselves. There is a unity sometimes..but only to cover eachothers behinds..doctor up some reports and huge abuse of power. This place will make you question your own integrity and force you to make a choice in which does more damage to the youth then yourself. Any facility like this has great potential to make a difference but Bayfield has not figured this out yet.
Pros
Youth
Cons
Not a cohesive honest unit
Worst place for children
CCT1 (Current Employee) –  Consecon, ON15 November 2017
Youth are not given treatment here. This place is used just for money from upper management. Safety for youth and staff is horrible. CAS are friends with management as well as union reps ((previously employed by BAYFIELD). When allegations are made CAS dismisses them as false and reinstates staff who should not be working with these youth. Food is not healthy and youth get sick. Mental illnesses are not treated properly instead youth are "restrained" daily violently. Aboriginal youth are not allowed to participate in their culture and on aboriginal day. BAYFIELD is not a treatment facility and is more a group home that is made to make money off our children. Would not recommend this place to parents hospitals or staff. This place makes youth worse and does not contribute to a better life for them.
Staff are treated poorly by management and get paid 13.06 (most these staff are 18 years old in college with no actual treatment skills. Previous reviews must be done by management because there is nothing positive about this place.
Pros
Cons
No treatment for our children
11 July 2019

Thanks for taking the time to post a review of our company. I am sorry to hear that you left our employ unhappy. We are very proud of the work that our teams do and acknowledge that this can be very challenging, but rewarding, work at times and that this profession is not a good fit for everyone that applies here.

Please feel free to confidentially message us at bayfield@bayfield.net. Once we have a good understanding of the issues you experienced, perhaps you will then allow us to privately discuss some of the misinformation in your posting. Thank you and best wishes in your future employment endeavours.

Cct1
Child Care Therapist (Former Employee) –  Consecon, ON21 July 2017
Youth are fun to work with and are sometimes a challenge. Staff is a harder challenge as everyone wants to be a boss and talks behind other staffs backs
Pros
Builds confidence
Amazing teamwork environment, great place to grow.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON5 June 2017
Absolutely one of the best places I have ever been employed. Management treats you as an equal, will help you correct your wrong instead of just provide criticism. Every bit of feedback comes with a plan of how to improve also. Definitely a wonderful work environment, lots to learn and you will definitely grow as a person and improve your skills as someone in the social service worker / support worker field.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bayfield Treatment Centres. Our community is ready to answer.