Baton Rouge Employee Reviews for Server

Bad Employer
server (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON3 November 2018
As an employee at Baton Rouge Kanata, I wish the other employees would finally smarten up and form a union. this is one of the worst places to work at. We are overworked, never ever appreciated, and we often get mistreated and disrespected. If you're think of applying for a job here, apply somewhere else and come back once we have a union.
Pros
Tips
Cons
everything was great untill sam
Server (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON2 April 2018
was let down buy my management n owners i tried to stick up for myself about hours n being cut. maybe spread it out so every one felt the slowness. i believe in structure n taking care of staff youve had a long time but to a piont.. hard work shopuld always pay offf. in my case free work should have...
overall it is a nice place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 December 2017
every job has their ups and downs, I found the job was a great place to work overall, I just found the ownership was a little on the difficult side to work with.
Pros
hours and pay
Cons
ownership
Great family oriented work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC26 July 2017
Everyone helps each other and this makes for a successful work environment. Management allowed for a balanced fun and serious atmosphere for front of house staff to work in.
Cons
no benefits were offered
Fun people to work with, generally good tip money, hours often fluctuate
Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2017
A typical day at work includes side duties such as stocking condiments, cleaning cutlery, serving tables, running food, and making drinks and desserts.

I learned how to multi-task and prioritize competing demands. Although, I ultimately learned how to properly interact with people and handle complaints.

Management changes frequently, but always treats staff with respect and have generally been understanding of its staff's wants and needs.

Workplace culture tends to be reflective of management. It is positive when management is positive, which is most of the time.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with people who can't be pleased no matter how hard you try. However, the customer base here is, for the most part, kind and understanding.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work alongside your friends and making money while getting to know guests!
Good atmosphere, poor management.
Server (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2016
I really enjoyed working at Baton Rouge. It was a great atmosphere to work in. The staff including the managers as individuals were awesome. My only concern was the lack of control that the managers had. They were not organized in terms of making the schedule. The hours that I worked were unreasonable because of all the un necessary staff they kept hiring. For that reason I had to withdraw my employment.
Not cared for
server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2015
As soon as I started, I got the general feeling that my place as a server there was not really valued. They will schedule you as they please. Often there are split shifts where we got 3-4 hour breaks and then were expected to come back to work. Scheduling was also very ineffective, sometimes there would be 5 servers too many on the floor, and management would cut some of us before our shifts were even over. They were fairly flexible though if you asked. If you wanted some time off, generally they were good about giving you the time off.

Also for the non-server/bartender positions, fellow employees would not recieve tip out for the first three months. This is the first place I have seen this, and there was a lot of animosity for it. Managers take 3.5% of your tip, and they used a portion of that amount to cover work place expenses. We were all also expected to buy our uniforms, running in around $100 each, which is unfair considering none of us are paid very well.

I got the sense that I was expendable while working there, and it felt like management expected us to just roll with whatever they threw our way. As people, the managers were nice, but they were ignorant about a lot of things. That being said, the team was really great. The servers are fun and very helpful, and I made some great friends working there.
Pros
free food, cool team mates, accommodating schedule
Cons
ineffective scheduling, low pay, undervalued workers, scattered management