Bass Pro Shops Employee Reviews

Found 79 reviews matching the search See all 1,641 reviews
not enjoyable
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 April 2019
workplace is full of ignorant and stuck up managers they treat you like youre scum they have absolutely no respect for you or your personal issues, HR is a joke there was an employee sexually harrasing young girls and nothing was done until cabellas was notified and they finally took over the investigation, if you decide on working here good luck
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Terrible, Negative Place to Work
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS28 March 2019
I have never worked in a place that destroyed ones self esteem as much as Bass Pro does. The communication within the Dartmouth store is terrible between managers and employees. Leads are nobodies, and useless to the store because managers walk all over them. Policies change constantly which causes staff to be frustrated and feel that they cannot do anything right. People are very two-faced including management. Would not recommend working for the Dartmouth/Halifax store.
Pros
45% off Discount
Cons
No Communication, Lack of Respect, Drama
Lousy workplace, 0 room for advancement, no job security
Cashier/Customer Relations (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB6 March 2019
This is a long one, but an honest one. Especially what you may need to expect.

The management is poor and the staff are cliquey. Within two weeks of me being there, they let go a worker that had been there for years. Within a month they had me doing duties unrelated to my job and filling in other positions. First week: all praise, friendly interactions, encouraging remarks. After that, the true colours showed. They do not truly care about their workers whatsoever.

I (and others as I overheard when they finally turned me over while passing the break room) hired on part-time was working a full-time schedule my month there, no full-time benefits. They are not a reliable or significant job source. My second month there they cut just about everyone's hours in half or even more. Most staff (except seemingly those more 'favourable') were then working maximum 16 hours or less. Loyal workers were even treated the same.
Unless you are part of the clique, you will most likely be shunned to a degree. Do not let their welcoming demeanour at first trick you. In truth, they are snakes.

Second month they did everything possible they could to keep me away from my assigned position, which was curious to me after receiving so much praise and comments like I was "baptism on/of fire" enthusiastically by one of the store managers. To then suddenly be disrespected like that so blatantly. There was specifically one day where I got every side duty they wanted me to do done in under an hour and I had a full day shift. "Done already?" Yep. "Did you do this?" Sure did. "Did you do that?" Absolutely.
  more... "How about this?" Already done. "Uh, did you do this yet?" Of course. The lady directing me to my one of many duties (I had done them all for everybody in under an hour my first hour there) was looking at me with offended surprise, almost scared by the fact that she didn't have anything else of that sort for me to do. No more errands and she even looked around for other supervisors for another excuse to keep me away from my actual position. I had to ask if I could return to my normal duties and she really said, "I guess so for now since there's nothing left for you to do." Until they could have me cover for someone's break or take over greeting which numbed my busy (ADHD) mind (which in retrospect could have swayed their judgement on me a little, but I can't help my tics, especially when I have nothing actively keeping me completely busy. I even informed them of that.)

Hallowe'en came around, that's when everyone bit it, hours cut, most of us were down to making 4-500 a paycheque if we were lucky. AKA when everyone was like "how do I cover rent let alone my basic needs, phone bills, down payments and mortgages". On top of cutting hours, they had hired 11 new people NOT including myself, and they had me on floor as greeter to entice people still to apply for SEASONAL positions. Might make more money from doing chores at home.

Finally, the start of my month which would have finished my probation period (after witnessing all this, it's probably not likely you'll get past it, seems they're only looking for temporary solutions) they terminated me. In the coldest way possible. My supervisor (also who makes everyone's schedules, who knew I had to bus there even before I started, and did not make that compliable with my hours), turned me away with zero empathy, zero sympathy. Before that, they had me do all their errands again and had me listed as a full day, they couldn't even have the courtesy to let me finish. I'm called to the office and she pulls me into a room with a glass window next to the receptionist with no privacy (given everyone can look in and just know what's going down). I start bawling as she tells me heartlessly that I'm not fit for the job, I'm not what they're looking for, it's not working out, I'm not what they need or want, it was all negative, no positive, no reassurance, just watching me cry and try to fight it as she twirled around in her chair and then said "okay, you can go now." Still trying to calm down before walking out in front of everybody an emotional wreck, "you have to go now." Fine, I leave, go to get my stuff, and she follows me in there a minute later "you need to go now," then has some staff escort me out of not just the store (it was snowing and freezing outside and just missed my bus which comes by the HOUR, so I even asked to be by the mall entrance only to be rejected) but out of the mall entirely, shame of walk past the front desk. Absolutely humiliating.

Oh, and did I forget to mention the inconsistent hours and scheduling? And maybe the last minute call-ins and stay longer. The unaccountable management and staff when they screw you over with the schedule and can't take responsibility for what they say. When you call in to double check and make sure your schedule is the same and they fill you in that it's changed and you get a call on what they said was your day off asking you where you are and that "This doesn't look good for you."

Yeah, just keep that in mind when applying for Bass Pro. Don't even think about the possibility of having an unpreventable accident either.
Pros
Staff discounts, perks if you ever manage to become a favourite
Cons
Literally, and quite honestly everything else.
Good for the Deals
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON16 February 2019
If you like the outdoors and want some great deals on gear then i would recommend working here for about 6 months, the drama in this place is ridiculous.
Fun Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 February 2019
Cool place to work if you like the outdoors, but over all it is pretty unorganized. The free breakfasts you can earn are always a nice boost of morale
Fun and easy work place environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC8 January 2019
-Fun work place environment
-family and pet friendly
Does not recommend
Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocky View, AB3 December 2018
Great people to work with at store level even with low marale. Good Stepping stone for new entries into the workforce or retirees looking for something to do. Upper management uses their position to further their own personal gains and agendas.
There is blatant nepotism and favoritism and a constant power struggle between the upper managers, it makes doing your job difficult if not impossible at times.
The workload that is expected of Associates and General Managers unmanageable and unatainable. It is a shame that Corporate is not taking a closer look. When they are present there is always an escort of upper management. Big corporate comapanies do not care about people only numbers.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
Management, no balance between work and home for full timers.
Typical day front entrance and hundreds yards away the exit not lite
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2018
A typical Day open doors greet customers , help customers with product knowledge or where certain departments were get rifle check in or bows neither go on the floor with out hunting department. Each Manager had thier own set of check lists and customer service was not on the list many unhappy customers verbal insults customer is away right manager I felt like a second class citizen on many days, not enough co-worker for special events . Most enjoyable was Hunting dogs were allow in the store due hunting vest I could hand out doggy cookies with owners permission .
Pros
discount of products
Cons
no positive feed back from management including human resources
Bass Pro
Marine Lead (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON2 October 2018
Bass Pro was a great place too work .I really enjoyed working there. They have lots of good benefits like starcards for rewarding thier employees. I really learned a lot from working there.
Pros
People
Cons
The drive
Worst place
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC5 August 2018
The engagement her is so bad, constantly breaching contract, horrible pay, associates have no say in anything and raises and promotions are heavily rigged for people the management knows outside of work.
hours are haphazard and no promises are kept. people get laid off and fired on the regular for little to know reason (I know because i worked security and had to walk them out)
I left last December (2017) and now there are maybe 5 people who i worked with that are still there.
do not work here if you want to be respected.
Pros
discounts
Cons
Everything else
Bass Pro Shops is the Ultimate Man & Woman Outdoor Sporting Cave both pleasurable to Shop at and Work at.. Its an addictive store and I loved it.
Maintenance Associate, Rigger (Former Employee) –  Tsawwassen, BC30 July 2018
in my time working with Bass Pro Shops, I found it to be an awesome experience and I would definately go back to work there again however I have my eye set on Heavy Equipment Operation.
Pros
Bass Pro Shops helps you get certification for Fork Lift and Man Lifts.
Cons
The Occasional Wasp nest and Seagulls that defecate all over the Boats and Sidewalks.
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON4 July 2018
I have worked at Bass Pro since they opened in 2014. I have enjoyed working at Bass Pro. The management team are nice and friendly and the staff have been like a second family to me. It is retail and their are the usual problems that come with retail. But overall a great place to work
Pros
They guarantee 40 hours to full time employees
Cons
Hours getting cut for part timers
Organized and good leadership
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 June 2018
Flexible hours, great for students. Good first job, apparel management is very kind and understanding. Learned a lot of skills that have helped me beyond retail settings.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long shifts
Great jobs, terrible management.
Shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 June 2018
I was bullied and harrassed by my manager and supervisor but I got fired and they got promotions. Which sucks because I loved my job and my customers.
The worst place to Work in Vancouver
Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 June 2018
Had a terrible experience working at Uncle Buck's Fish Bowl and Grill. Do not waste your time here. You will never be given more than 4 tables, and the barely edible food will not help you get a living wage in tips. The "trainers" who came from the company lied to my face, and were very disciplinary like we were in the military. That is a part of my life I will never get back!
great place to work
Processor (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB16 May 2018
every one is nice to everyone there, if i ever had a question about work when i was there they'd never hesitate to help me out. id say the most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and seeing new faces every day.
productive and fun to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  rocky View, AB10 May 2018
working at Bass Pro was a great place to work at alot of different thing to see and very nice employees that work there how to working a busy cash office and i learn how to make hunting tags for the hunters. learn abot about hunting because bro was an hunting store
Great opportunities
Tracker marine boat center parts manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB16 March 2018
They sent me to Tennessee to become a marine parts manager they gave me a wonderful opportunity and trusted me right right away to making decisions that creating our inventory system. I manually input every part number into out inventory system
Pros
Great environment
Cons
It was interfering
Awesome place to work
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON1 March 2018
Bass Pro was the best job I've had. Everyone was excellent and the management was above and beyond amazing. The company is amazing to work for, they really care about their staff and put us first.
Pros
The job
Cons
Hours
Hard to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky View, AB21 February 2018
Long, long days.
Very clique-y.
Management are very inconsiderate when you need to call in (called in after fainting and they got mad)
Dogs are allowed in the store
Pros
Dogs allowed in store
Cons
LONG hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bass Pro Shops. Our community is ready to answer.