Barrick Gold Corporation

Barrick Gold Corporation Employee Reviews for Vice President

Vice President1 review
Canada1 review
Found 1 review matching the search
Barrick has the potential to be a top company but leadership that is cutthroat. Everyone is dispensable as soon as the wind changes.
The company talks a good talk, mainly for the benefit of analysts that drive stock market opinion. Internally, one knows that everyone is dispensable and good performance is no guarantee of ongoing employment. It has attracted incredibly talented people, but is prone to wholesale layoffs without consideration of the damage to its people or to the capacity of their management. As long as the financial ratios look better!

One gets the impression that all people are there only for as long as they suit the leader's agenda and current strategy. Hardest part of the job is knowing that doing the right thing is more likely to get you fired than playing a cynical game of praising the incompetent but smooth operators that get into key positions. Lesson learned: psychopaths can do very well there.

All talk of teamwork, collegial respect, supportive management effectively disappeared (again) when the COO who properly practised these principles was sidelined and then dispensed with in 2018. He came out of an elite military war-time role and one knew that one's life depended on trust and competency.

A new CEO already sees further cuts as the answer, so it is again business as usual. I'll wait for a surge in the share price on promises of a turnaround and lower costs, before dumping what I have as the market sees a hollowed-out company.

I am not sure whether to equate Barrick's leadership to the Trump administration, although the Chairman is more intelligent but no less ruthless. The alternate would be to equate it to a big New York bank, where greed and fear collectively trump
 - more...
Pros
Good compensation, but executive bonuses tend to disappear if you don't make three years.
Cons
If you're not a masochist or a psychopath, it may not be a happy place.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Barrick Gold Corporation?
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barrick Gold Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2