Barrick Gold Corporation

Barrick Gold Corporation Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

Toronto, ON19 reviews
Culture Changed after Merger
After the Merger my input would not be accurate. Thus I'd like to decline filling this field out before I can move on with my job search. This particular field should NOT be mandatory.
Old Barrick and New Barrick
I enjoy my life working for old Barrick but new Barrick has a total turn over, am proud to be a Barrick Alumni and still talking with many of my formal colleagues who are technically proficient and treat everyone just like a family. Company vision drives the success of the company. New Barrick basically does no longer have the tradition and culture what Barrick had.
Pros
Strong and stable company
Cons
Not caring about people in the company
Excellent work atmosphere and a good place to work.
Barrick Gold is an excellent corporation that provides many opportunities for young workers. It is very rewarding to work at Barrick as one is able to learn a great deal.
Barrick has the potential to be a top company but leadership that is cutthroat. Everyone is dispensable as soon as the wind changes.
The company talks a good talk, mainly for the benefit of analysts that drive stock market opinion. Internally, one knows that everyone is dispensable and good performance is no guarantee of ongoing employment. It has attracted incredibly talented people, but is prone to wholesale layoffs without consideration of the damage to its people or to the capacity of their management. As long as the financial ratios look better!

One gets the impression that all people are there only for as long as they suit the leader's agenda and current strategy. Hardest part of the job is knowing that doing the right thing is more likely to get you fired than playing a cynical game of praising the incompetent but smooth operators that get into key positions. Lesson learned: psychopaths can do very well there.

All talk of teamwork, collegial respect, supportive management effectively disappeared (again) when the COO who properly practised these principles was sidelined and then dispensed with in 2018. He came out of an elite military war-time role and one knew that one's life depended on trust and competency.

A new CEO already sees further cuts as the answer, so it is again business as usual. I'll wait for a surge in the share price on promises of a turnaround and lower costs, before dumping what I have as the market sees a hollowed-out company.

I am not sure whether to equate Barrick's leadership to the Trump administration, although the Chairman is more intelligent but no less ruthless. The alternate would be to equate it to a big New York bank, where greed and fear collectively trump
 - more...
Pros
Good compensation, but executive bonuses tend to disappear if you don't make three years.
Cons
If you're not a masochist or a psychopath, it may not be a happy place.
Overall a good place to work at.
Communicating within the company and within your team can be quite difficult. Everyone is always travelling and so you need to make coworkers hyper-aware of your timeline.
Not recommended- unstable company, layoff usually
Not recommended to join this company, every year they fire people , racist especially to asians, management and culture is not good. lot of politics and they envy each other. Bad atmosphere at bay street office . they pay you good and work life balance is good but not recommended.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hire and FIre
Great Salary / Benefits
Provided opportunities to work with very smart and competent people in different fields. As world's largest gold mining company provided lot of opportunities to travel across different continents.
Pros
Great Salary / Benefits
Cons
Relatively low job security due to volatile resource prices
Barrick Gold Corp
Barrick is the world’s largest gold miner with around 15,000 employees worldwide. Operations are centered in north and south america with revenues of $8.5 Billion.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Barrick Gold Corporation?
Work culture can be better
People were friendly but the culture is very hierarchical. IT adoption was slow, so not enough learning for the time spent. Don't think I will want to return
Barrick Gold Corporation
A typical work day stated with being informed of a problem or situation at one of the foreign gold mines that required attention and remedy. The issue could be with personnel, blue collar or senior management. On site travel to the foreign gold mine location was authorized.and placed into motion. Interviews, analyses, and reviews conducted. Problem identified and recommended remedies offered.
Pros
The investigator had the freedom to investigate and recommend resolution.
Cons
The inability to remove or train on-site mine staff was not always feasible.
Good work environment. Unstable at present.
Barrick Gold is one of those companies which provide employees an environment of contribution and develops a sense of belonging.
Due to it's presence in many parts of the world it brings in front of you every day a new challenge and gives you opportunity to come up with creative solutions.

Barrick has been generous in rewarding good work.

Unfortunately, due to tough market situation particularly in area of precious metals, Barrick is going through it's most difficult times. This financial crunch and market pressure has forced Barrick to take some unpleasant decisions.
High pressure but rewarding environment.
High caliber colleagues but a challenging story to message; presented a high bar to excel at. Unconventional executive structure is starting to get some traction with investors.
Pros
Travel, interaction with market
Cons
Difficult and out of favor sector
Industry leader
Fantastic place to work. Very collaborative across functions and the organization as a whole embraces the rationale for strong social performance.
Multicultural and diverse
Barrick is world's largest gold producer with operations expanded to all continents from North & South America to Africa and Australia and so a typical day is a day with interaction with individuals from multiple cultural backgrounds and skill sets, offering exposure to interact with various layers of functional and line management at all levels. Barrick has employed one of the top talents across all functions , whether it is accounting, geology, engineering, supply chain or human resources and so there are exceptional opportunities to learn new things across multiple functions everyday.

Since Barrick is a large company with close to 15,000 employees, it sometimes becomes a challenge to make important decisions quickly and this is what is the most enjoyable part as well, as the due-diligence process employed to analyse and make informed decisions offers great opportunities to learn exciting new ideas and insights from operational as well as financial and strategic perspective.
Pros
Multicultural and diverse
Good place to work, Great benefits, very professional environment
Is a really good place to work., highly professional, fast pace and a lot of stress (on a good way).
Place to show all your talent and to improve every day.

Very professional environment and also good culture.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Travelling, Work with people from other cultures, Management is very engaged and open, Safety culture.
Very good company
Over my long tenure here I have enjoyed but most importantly learned so much from fabulous bosses and co-workers.
Pros
Lunch and learn, all about the company in all parts of the world, Gym membership
I am an experienced law enforcement and corporate security manager, instructor and investigator.
I have been in law enforcement and related fields my entire career. I find the work challenging and rewarding. Being bi-lingual, I have traveled extensively throughout Mexico, Central and South America. I have managed and supervised law enforcement and corporate security personnel throughout the US and Latin America.

I am an experienced law enforcement and corporate security manager, investigator, and instructor. I am meticulous in my work ethic and responsible in time management. I have extensive training in law enforcement and a graduate of the Drug Enforcement Administration Basic Agent and Supervisor Academies. I am a graduate of the United States Army Military Police Polygraph School and the Reid School for Interview and Interrogation Techniques and the FBI Advanced Polygraph Studies at the University of Virginia.

I am a team player and as a manager take my responsibilities seriously. I am success driven in accomplishing my duties and inspire personnel under my command to always improve their duties and responsibilities and achieve success in their careers.
Good Workplace
Barrick Gold is a good employer but they lack many of the standard processes that larger businesses have. They are still very much a the company that Peter Munk founded 27 yrs ago and still function as a small start up in many respects.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad people management
friendly staff
Great people to work with, great events. Co-workers and management really took the time to explained everything I need to know to me.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barrick Gold Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
Barrick Gold Corporation Reviews by Location