Barrick Gold Corporation

Barrick Gold Corporation Employee Reviews

Barrick is very multinational cultural environment, working with HR Department, I had to practice different strategy to ensure you deliver as per organisation standard, sometime we had to.work extra hrs but with overtime paid as per biometric method.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner(camp)
Cons
Over time paid
The randgold merger was chaotic. Constant turnover while at company. More emphasis on production KPIs than safety. Courage to Care is really just lip service than the culture.
Pros
Historic mine. Lots of underground workings. Challenging design problems
Cons
Stressful workplace, uncertainty with changes in management, turnover in coworkers and a lax safety attitude
In the beginning, working here was a great experience, and some employees actually made you feel welcomed. In the beginning I was welcomed by all, but most would not look you in the eye. In other words, if you don't fit in, you're an outcast. Most employees leave you standing there expecting that you know exactly what to do, and throw you under the bus, in other words, you're the elephant the room.
After the Merger my input would not be accurate. Thus I'd like to decline filling this field out before I can move on with my job search. This particular field should NOT be mandatory.
Did not enjoy my time with Barrick, terrible work culture. Blame game is the go to for solving problems, and the management and senior players are total jokes with no integrity at all. Only ones that get ahead are baglickers with no moral compass
I enjoy my life working for old Barrick but new Barrick has a total turn over, am proud to be a Barrick Alumni and still talking with many of my formal colleagues who are technically proficient and treat everyone just like a family. Company vision drives the success of the company. New Barrick basically does no longer have the tradition and culture what Barrick had.
Pros
Strong and stable company
Cons
Not caring about people in the company
Barrick Gold is an excellent corporation that provides many opportunities for young workers. It is very rewarding to work at Barrick as one is able to learn a great deal.
Worked as an intern for about a year in metallurgy! Had some great people to work with but eventually work gets kinda repetitive. Would have loved to go on site visits.
The company talks a good talk, mainly for the benefit of analysts that drive stock market opinion. Internally, one knows that everyone is dispensable and good performance is no guarantee of ongoing employment. It has attracted incredibly talented people, but is prone to wholesale layoffs without consideration of the damage to its people or to the capacity of their management. As long as the financial ratios look better! One gets the impression that all people are there only for as long as they suit the leader's agenda and current strategy. Hardest part of the job is knowing that doing the right thing is more likely to get you fired than playing a cynical game of praising the incompetent but smooth operators that get into key positions. Lesson learned: psychopaths can do very well there. All talk of teamwork, collegial respect, supportive management effectively disappeared (again) when the COO who properly practised these principles was sidelined and then dispensed with in 2018. He came out of an elite military war-time role and one knew that one's life depended on trust and competency. A new CEO already sees further cuts as the answer, so it is again business as usual. I'll wait for a surge in the share price on promises of a turnaround and lower costs, before dumping what I have as the market sees a hollowed-out company. I am not sure whether to equate Barrick's leadership to the Trump administration, although the Chairman is more intelligent but no less ruthless. The alternate would be to equate it to a big New York bank, where greed and fear collectively trump - more...
Pros
Good compensation, but executive bonuses tend to disappear if you don't make three years.
Cons
If you're not a masochist or a psychopath, it may not be a happy place.
Communicating within the company and within your team can be quite difficult. Everyone is always travelling and so you need to make coworkers hyper-aware of your timeline.
Not recommended to join this company, every year they fire people , racist especially to asians, management and culture is not good. lot of politics and they envy each other. Bad atmosphere at bay street office . they pay you good and work life balance is good but not recommended.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hire and FIre
Provided opportunities to work with very smart and competent people in different fields. As world's largest gold mining company provided lot of opportunities to travel across different continents.
Pros
Great Salary / Benefits
Cons
Relatively low job security due to volatile resource prices
If I had the chance, I would go back and gladly accept a job offer from them. I just could not survive off of the short term contracts and lack of job security.
Barrick is the world’s largest gold miner with around 15,000 employees worldwide. Operations are centered in north and south america with revenues of $8.5 Billion.
Everyone is very helpful, management is very up to date on health and safety and always make sure that everyone has all the education and tools in place to go home safe everyday
Pros
outstanding employee oppertunities
Cons
not always steady work
People were friendly but the culture is very hierarchical. IT adoption was slow, so not enough learning for the time spent. Don't think I will want to return
Attending weekly meetings, participating in safety tool boxes thereby always keeping oneself aware of safety both in the office and the field. Work place is multicultural yet everyone work together as a team. Challenging part was learning a planning tool and produce a schedule from it without prior training and use. Enjoy late evening tennis games with work mates after work . Great accommodation and meals on site.
Pros
Great team work
Cons
sometimes long hours
A typical work day stated with being informed of a problem or situation at one of the foreign gold mines that required attention and remedy. The issue could be with personnel, blue collar or senior management. On site travel to the foreign gold mine location was authorized.and placed into motion. Interviews, analyses, and reviews conducted. Problem identified and recommended remedies offered.
Pros
The investigator had the freedom to investigate and recommend resolution.
Cons
The inability to remove or train on-site mine staff was not always feasible.
Barrick Gold is a very corporate environment however values it's employees. This is shown through great moral, the benefit plan and the hard work of the entertainment committee that ensures to offer well-rounded events throughout the year. The company also engages in many fundraisers which was a pleasure to attend. A typical day for a corporate receptionist was to open and close the office, serve as a liaison with security, answer and transfer all incoming calls, manage courier requests and incoming mail, process monthly invoices, assist with various administrative tasks as required but most importantly was the was the first person to welcome guests and clients to the office.
Working for Barrick Goldstrike was an interesting experience. Their safety culture is one that I would describe as in the tops for mining industries located in the United States. Their goal was a zero incident vision that might possibly be attained in the future. The management could really use so work. between fighting for parts, scheduling maintenance projects,j isolating equipment and fighting to keep up with the tons processed goal, was to say the least, a nightmare. Management without really seeming to know, would spend a dollar to save a dime. This is between waiting to start jobs, waiting for special ordered parts (that should have been more common than not (common pump rebuild parts, as one example)), isolating equipment (isolation lockouts and breakers being in multiple areas and in some cases taking upwards of half a shift to isolate equipment) and having a proper job plan in order to progress at a smooth pace. I learned how to work as a mechanic in a team and how to communicate during critical tasks associated with the job. Working with the more experienced mechanics taught me a lot of the tricks and how tos with equipment. overall working for Barrick was a very positive experience for me and taught me a great may things both when I was a part of day crew and shift crew. I think that working with older mechanics was the most enjoyable part of the job. They had a great many things to teach and never really held back with their information. The hardest part of the job would be the area and weather. employees had to be bused into the site which took generally - more...
Cons
Super seven shift schedule, busing
Barrick Gold is one of those companies which provide employees an environment of contribution and develops a sense of belonging. Due to it's presence in many parts of the world it brings in front of you every day a new challenge and gives you opportunity to come up with creative solutions. Barrick has been generous in rewarding good work. Unfortunately, due to tough market situation particularly in area of precious metals, Barrick is going through it's most difficult times. This financial crunch and market pressure has forced Barrick to take some unpleasant decisions.