BAPTIST HOUSING Employee Reviews

3.0Pay & Benefits
Can be fun, but management is apathetic with zero advancement
Housekeeping and Dining (Former Employee) –  British Columbia18 March 2019
Workplace culture was amazing, but the management was apathetic and lacked care in promoting the culture. Working and serving seniors is an amazing experience, and they are so thankful and appreciative; if only the management was the same!

False promises, puts on the facade they care and are working on changes when they aren't, told to ignore illegal and unethical workplace environments (numerous cases). Very apt to give you extra hours as needed, but only when they absolutely need you as the last resort. Was told by management numerous times, as well as other employees were told that "they just need a body". It led to unhealthy work environments as the culture enthusiasm dropped from all the employees, and half no longer cared.

The hardest part about the job is if you care and want to partake in the growth of potentially an amazing organization, but then have to suppress that and bite the bullet. The rest of the employees still there enjoy working with seniors, but did not appreciate the environment and were either looking for other work or just putting up with it as they had no fear of being fired and it paid the bills.

Numerous employees were promoted, or retained their management status without repercussions, warning, or official write-ups when they violated company policies and/or harassed other employees. This statement alone signifies the deterioration of the culture.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Expect to come in when sick, even though it goes against Fraser Health policy and workplace policies.
good
Registered Care Aide (Current Employee) –  westkelowna6 February 2019
good place to work, staff is mostly friendly. management is mostly hidden behind desks, support services are lacking for residents and lots of overtime currently due to shortage of care aides in the community.
Overly worked HCAs
HCA (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 October 2018
Too many residents per HCA. Overly worked and feeling “unsafe” when left with numerous residents with high levels of needs and not enough workers. Often short staffed which leads to more pressure and level of quality of care declines further. Chances of injury to worker go up and quality of care drastically goes down. Plenty of positions up for grabs.

Night shifts; Each floor is devided (by a hallway) in 2 separate communities. Each community accommodates 16 residents (32 residents total!). Most residents have sensors due to them being high fall risk. Some floors there is only 1 HCA. You are running between the 2 communities managing 32 residents. It takes a SINGLE (yes, a single!) high fall risk resident to have a restless night in order for you to run that much more faster. You add more high fall restless patients to your night plus aggression, you’re in a place of feeling “overwhelmed”. Sadly, there may be a palliative resident in the mix. There is an unrealistic expectation of doing “hourly” checks.

In reality, there is one float (or is there? She is pulled from her own floor to help others). That float helps with changes and cover breaks for 2 HCAs (and away for her own). So you are essentially left on your own on an extremely busy floor. This is the case for 2 out of the 3 floors. The much needed SINGLE 1 hour break you once received has now been reduced due to the floor(s) being too busy. This is the worst solution to the problem. Nurses are mostly “too busy” to help.

Superiors; I challenge you to work each floor (with supervision) for a week (to get a
  more... proper grasp of this reality) and make a decision based on your experience as to how many workers are needed per floor.

There should NEVER be a single person for the ENTIRE floor at ANY given time. This is highly UNSAFE for your works, UNFAIR to your residents. Please support your staff and help rectify this problem.

Lastly, I ask Baptist Housing to send out an anonymous questionnaire to all your employees to get an overall feel of the issues at hand. Lots of repeated comments made by staff that suggest the above is not an isolated problem.
Pros
Compassionate staff
Cons
Over worked, under paid.
Fun
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC30 August 2017
Baptist Housing is a registered non-profit organization, that invests all its resources into improving the lives and well-being of their Residents. Their communities are established on a foundation of values so that the mission of Baptist Housing is experienced by those they serve and those who serve.
Pros
Always having free lunches
Cons
Great hours
Productive,friendly,safe and fun workplace with a private staff room.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 August 2014
Usually, 11-7 shift, I take the radio, report to my floors and receives report to evening nurses. I work two floors with one care aide per floor. Answers call from care aide staff when needed to assess a resident with some health issues. Administer prescribed medications. Although I experienced so many challenges especially working in a senior facility as a licensed practical nurse the job is very rewarding. The staff are nice, respectful and very professional with their jobs. For example when it's time to work and observes required break times. The management is good. Managers are approachable. The hardest part of my job is the kind of shift that I work . I work nights and I have to take care of my children at home. Otherwise, I love my job and I love what I do.