Banque Nationale Du Canada

Banque Nationale Du Canada Pay & Benefits reviews

Not the best place for my skills.
Senior Credit Officer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 January 2020
Good place to start but it is a very demanding. Compensation was decent but the work itself not that rewarding. Would like to have applied my knowledge more
Very bad experience
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 December 2019
Benefits is not good
Mortgage rate is not good anymore
Job security is not good
They have many lay off
You can loose your job very easy
Very bad management
Average work place
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  600 De la gauchetière4 December 2019
Average work place, stressfull, political environnement. The management does not do what the higher level management preach. The salary is average not higher than other banks.
SENIOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 November 2019
I have worked many years at NBC and cannot complain. A great place to work with many benefits and flexible hours. The works is interesting and varied and can on occasion be hectic.
Great place for students starting to build a career
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 September 2019
NBC is a great place for part time and full time workers. You get great benefits (3 weeks a year accessible after 3 months), good insurance Policy, discounts on phone lines and events.., etc.
Its easy to move up in the company
Pros
great employee bnefits, vacations, flexible hours
Cons
branch workers are paid lower than those who work at head office
Good Company
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC24 September 2019
Depending on what department or team we work, the values of our Company are well applied and transmitted. The culture is good, Salary and Benefits are fair.
Pros
Cons
Still need to evolve on some internal politics
worked on different systems and very challenging environment
Analyste Sénior - Assurance Qualité (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 September 2019
challenging work place and good benefits for the past twelve years after got the retirement package but willing to work more another place to keep busy
Defined Benefits Pension Plan
Advisor - Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 July 2019
Advantages
Defined Benefits Pension Plan
Participation - Shares Ownership Program
Possibility to work remotely
Organization promotes change, inclusion

Weak points:
salaries on the lower range
demanding work environment
perception of individuals vs actual results
Professional workplace
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 January 2019
Great place to work, great people and corporation! Banking industry is going through major transformation these past few years. NBC was very behind technologically in comparison to other financial organizations but recently is beginning to close that gap. Great support and benefits.
Great Work life balance
Senior risk analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 December 2018
Good worklife balance.
Operations are obsessed with cost cutting to the point they would underpay the employees in that sector compared to their colleagues in other divisions.
Even managers work against their own employees because if they pay their employees fairly, it would have a negative impact in their annual review with their manager. The most competent are not working in that sector.
There is salary discrimination and it's extremely frustrating. Women are doing the same job as other male colleagues within the bank but have lower job level. It is totally unacceptable.
I would recommend National Bank but not in the Operations division.
It is very badly managed as well.
Good place to start a banking career
Manager, Commercial Banking (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 November 2018
Good place to start a banking career and earn experience. Management is very local as growth opportunities. Overall a fair institution to spend a couple of years and earn experience.
Pros
Salary
Cons
A compnay that is slowly improving.
AML / ATF Analyst (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 September 2018
The company is striving to become modern and change an old-school technophobic culture. The environment is respectful and benefits like pension plan are quite fair.
27 September 2018

Hi and thanks for taking the time to write a review. Indeed, our work spaces and IT and collaboration tools have greatly evolved over recent years. Our cultural shift is ongoing and will continue to propel us forward. Please feel free to share your ideas and comments!

We wish you a great career at the Bank!

Poor salary and benefits
Préposé Senior, Opérations Gouvernementales (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 September 2018
no advancement - poor salary - good hours - fun at work - unable to have increases more than 10 cents per year even though all quality control measurements were met and more than above. management is always saying they have no budget for employee salary increases.
Cons
no christmas party - employee have to pay for their diner and also to organise it
Fun place to work at
Senior Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 August 2018
National Bank is a good place to work at. There are great benefits, good work/life balance. Management is excellent. Most enjoyable part is how the company takes care of its employees and the coworkers. The hardest part of the job is the restrictions that may be faced due to the need of update in technology. However, the Bank is in process of improving that part.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Technological restrictions
27 September 2018

Hi and thanks for your feedback. We wish you all the best with your future projects.

Almost a step forward
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 August 2018
At National bank there is lot of room for growth if you are ok with a salary that isn't competitive enough. The management is good. I think a typical workday is challenging.
Productive and fun environment
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 July 2018
I worked here for a year because i was in a contract. However, my contract was extended and unfortunately a higher paying job offered me another position so i went for it. But if i could i would have stayed at national bank for a longer period of time. Amazing managers, colleagues and clients. If you ever had a problem, or needed help management would there to help you and support you. Also, their training is really good. Most places throw you as a CSR on your first week. National bank do a lot of shadowing and help you practice your day to day work before you are on your own. In terms of sales it is also a great bank. I have worked for other two banking institutions and all they want from your performance is sales, however NBC makes sure you meet those but they DONT make everything about sales
Cons
wish their salary was higher compared to other banking institutions
Great place to start with my love of numbers
Foreign Exchange and International Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2018
I didn't have a clue going into the job I was offered. I was pleasantly surprised of how much fun the job was. How great most of the people that worked within the Bank were to work with.
Pros
Stampede Week, Week Long work bonding, Great hours.
Cons
Salary wasn't enough to live in Calgary.
3 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your environment and the people you were working with.

Please be assured that we will forward your feedback to our compensation team. Every year, we participate in surveys to ensure we offer competitive compensation, and that there is internal equity among comparable or similar corporate and sales positions. Your comment will be considered.

toxic work culture
IT department (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 June 2018
I was there when they announced a round of layoff and It made the working culture absolutely toxic everywhere in IT. Everybody that was not assigned to a project became so afraid to loose their job that getting coworker to help you became impossible. Everybody became super risk averse and working there just became a game of musical chair and a dance of blaming other for any perceived wrongdoing.
Pros
salary
Cons
toxic work culture
Constant changes
Analyste sénior, ciblage client (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 May 2018
High caliber colleagues. Bad change management. HR is only virtual, inconsistent hiring procedure, weak if non-existent on-boarding of new employees. Very flexible on working from home. Decent pay.
Pros
Flexible hours, ease with working from home
Cons
change management and HR
13 June 2018

Hi and thank you for your review. We have redesigned our work environment and tools to encourage teamwork and mobility. Our transformation is coming along!

Regarding our hiring procedure, we have implemented strict criteria to evaluate the experience required for our different position levels. That said, we will share your comments with our recruitment colleagues. Feel free to discuss your concerns with your manager to find possible solutions.

Create a great experience for our new employees is a priority and we don't get a second chance to make a good first impression! We are sorry to read that it is not what you saw or experimented. Please don't hesitate to give feedback to your managers or internal channels to discuss the topic.

Typical financial institution work place
SME- Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 April 2018
Two CIO changes in less than a year, generated a very volatile chain of command, and the actual CIO being from Europe implemented a unusual work culture.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banque Nationale Du Canada. Our community is ready to answer.