Bank of Canada Employee Reviews

Excellent people that treat their employees very well
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 August 2018
I was a summer student with the Bank of Canada for 4 months and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was an economics major at the time, and the job exposure, training, and the experience I gained will no doubt help me throughout my career. The people were the highlight, for sure! They were flexible with the hours, allowing time off for appointments, medical reasons, etc without making me feel like attending appointments was counterproductive. This flexibility really solidified my opinions about the people and the work and in turn made me work harder throughout my summer internship. I would recommend anyone who enjoys a culture where hard work is appreciated, recognized, and celebrated, as well as anyone who values a challenging workload without the added pressure to prioritize the job over your entire life.
Pros
Understanding people, excellent fringe benefits, flexible work hours, challenging work
Cons
May need to travel frequently, salary ceiling is capped at a certain level
Unlucky team experience in otherwise excellent company
Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2018
What started as a fantastic experience slowly deteriorated as challenging possibilities became fewer, partially due to a misunderstanding, and I ended up learning nothing over the second part of my employment there. The salary discrepancy was ignored and never addressed, despite valid concerns. The team atmosphere is good and many hard-working and interesting people work there.
Good Experience
DevOps Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 September 2018
Good Experience , learnt lot of new things there. Great Team and had a good work environment there to work. Managers and lead managers were too nice and so co-operative all the time
Comfortable place to have a career
Senior Economist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 June 2018
Very good colleagues and a staff that is focused on the mission of a central bank. Typical office environment. Can take a while to advance if you are not a policy focused person - very limited space for senior researchers and low turnover.
great job and experience
Senior MDM Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2018
As a senior developer, I am proud to have the experience of Bank of Canada. It provided the best chance for me to work with the most advanced data technology and tools.
Pros
everything
Cons
N/a
Great place to work, but hard to get permanent or long-term positions
I.T. Systems Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2018
Great place to work, but hard to get permanent or long-term positions. Good when it comes to everything else, except it is competitive when it comes to finding long-term positions or permanent positions.
Summary
OPERATIONS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
Work was a bit tedious but the staff was great. Facilities is nice and has a gym on site. Was on contract work, getting full time was hard and eventually had to leave for guaranteed full time employment
Great place to build a career
IM Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2018
The Bank is one of the best employers I have worked for. The physical environment is first class, there are many opportunities for learning, and my colleagues are the best in their fields.
A strong and collaborative management team leveraging the best of enabling technology to deliver services
Senior Business Architect (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2017
The Bank of Canada is a critical component of Canada's economy and as such must be at the forefront of banking technology to ensure Canada's competitiveness on the monetary stage.

The work culture at the bank is one that inspires creativity, collaboration and cooperation between multiple divisions that must work together. Due to the critical role in Canada's economy, playing a role at the bank can be challenging as it is vastly important to ensure that critical systems are secured and withstand cyber security threats, which the bank and its team do exceptionally well.
Pros
well designed workspaces, ergonomic
A high productive place to work.
Sub-Team Leader (details in resume) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2013
A production environment. Fast pace and on the go.
Multitasking, Patience, Tolerance, Teamwork. Innitiative.
Very diverse individuals. In culture and behavior.
The hardest part of the job is not being able to help when someone else is hurting.
The most enjoyable part of the job is organizing the social events each time there is something going on.
Pros
Having a job. You look forward to being productive
Cons
Productive and flexible work environment
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 April 2012
The systems I worked with mostly during my internship were Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Visio, IBM Rational Jazz and a document management system called P8. Over the course of my internship, I effectively used these applications to collect and design the required material for documenting our department’s processes and procedures. I also worked with Application Portfolio Management and this involved the responsibility of updating the status of applications in all departments of the Bank of Canada. I ensured my work was consistent with ITIL best practices and had the opportunity to present my work to the senior management team. I enjoyed collaborating with co-workers because everyone was pleasant and helpful.
Pros
friendly work environment
Management is horrible
Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
Terrible Management cant suggest any ideas they get shot down in a heartbeat. It would seem like these people managing the bank aren't even qualified to be in these positions.
Pros
table tennis
Cons
poor management
Great Customer Service Skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg.MB18 January 2014
A typical day at work was answering phones and answering customer inquiries and speaking to customers in a professional manner. Management was very helpful and was happy to help with any questions we may have had. I feel I made strong friendships and bonds with my co workers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with irate customers but with the excellent training they provided to us I was able to handle it professionally. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you helped a customer and they were very happy and thankful.
Great Work Environment
Employment Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2014
Get into office, work on current project on computer, go to lunch, work on project on computer, maybe attend a meeting, head home. I learned a lot about the area of research I was engaged in. The management is nice and considerate. The co-workers are friendly and talkative. The hardest part was learning how to do things mostly on my own. The best part was being able to use what I learned and provide useful feedback.
Pros
Work Environmen
Enjoyed going to work each day, it was like family.
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Ontario26 November 2013
A day would start off with a hello from everyone you meet. It was very friendly. I would start off by making sure we balanced the night before and then fax the balance to Head Office.

I learned so much about the balancing side of the Bank of Canada. How to be a good listener and how to make each employer feel they would confide in me. I would have to answer the phone and direct the client to the proper section. I learned how to train and be trained
within the bank.

The management and co-workers worked well together to get the job done in a timely manner. The management was easy to talk to and very helpful.

The hardest part of the job was not always having the answers a person would like to know. As I was helping out in the HR section people would come to me for answers, and it would take me a few hours to find it for them.

Was the end of each day when I knew we had balanced and each person would go home. In my job the Bank would have to balance its cash flow so everyone would be able to leave for the day. Plus also enjoyed the interactions with my co-workers.
Pros
The free lunch every year to say thank you to us for a job will done
Cons
We would have to stay until we were balance, even if it was late into the evening
productive and opportunities to work anywhere
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 July 2015
It was a very relaxed atmsophere to work for, allot of opportunities for advancements, everyone was wonderful to work for, time constrants was done in a timely fashon, free lunches, and activites.
Worst work environmeny for support staff.
service dedk analyst (Former Employee) –  ottaws5 March 2015
Restructure of IT department caused a ripple effect with staff. People thrown under the bus always. The pay was OK, but the work environment was cut throat with little chance of advancement.

Work as a consultant and save yourself a lot of grief.
Pros
Pay
Cons
hostile and unfrienfly work envirinment
Environnement de travail très moyen
Analyste d'affaires et des systèmes (Former Employee) –  Ottawa17 July 2012
Les heures de travail son relativement flexible. Les opportunités de développement est presque nul. Les opérations ne sont pas pris en compte. Seulement le développement économique est considéré. Il y a des clans. Il y a le management et il y a les employés.
Si vous n'etes pas content partez, trouvez-vous un autre emploi.

Il n'y a pas de collaborateur, la personne qui s'occupe des plaintes des employés est la meme personne qui s'occupe des dossiers du management à régler!
Une personne peut etre neutre jusqu'à quelle point?

L'aspect le plus difficile des postes sont le micro management, le volume de travail avec le minimum de ressources. La plupart des employés travail pour eux memes. Il n'y existe pas de camaraderie dans cette institution.

L'aspect le plus agréable est quand tu as la chance d'avoir un gestionnaire qui considère les employés comme des vrais personnes.
L'aspect positif est le prestige d'avoir travaillé à la banque centrale du pays.
Pros
centre de condition physique sur les lieux
Cons
le management, la gestion des employés
Productive and Fun place to work
Specialized Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario16 August 2012
I would get there in the morning and plan out the work I had to do as I knew all the steps to take. Sign in the system, order the reports, open the mail, sort out the work, prep the work, scan the work on the Optical Reader Machine, then do the data entry, balance, create cases for caseworkers, scan, index, photocopy legals, do change of addresses, do redemptions for clients who had payroll bonds, I called clients if they were missing certain information on their faxes like signatures, plan numbers etc.
Very friendly place to work. When the work in our area was slow, we had the opportunity to work in other departments which gave us more experience to learn other things. We had our own cubicle along with our own computer and phone. Our team leads were very nice. The most enjoyable part of working there was being able to go to the gym in the same building and not worry how long my class was as if I took extra time for lunch, I would just make it up in the end.
Pros
free lunches, gym in the building, activities, permanent job, worked overtime for time off, flex hours
Cons
we got outsourced in 2001 to another company, then i got my package in july 2008
Environnement de travail
Adjointe Administrative Exécutive (Former Employee) –  Ottawa10 February 2015
Mon travail était de travailler en collaboration avec mon gestionnaire et mon directeur. Mes opportunités de développement était refusés. Le roulement des gestionnaires était trop fréquent. L'aspect le plus difficile de mon poste était le manque de formation et d'information. Le plus agréable était l'équipe et l'initiative que je pouvais prendre tout dépendamment des tâches.
Pros
Une augmentation salarial importante
Cons
L'incertitude dans l'équipe.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.