Bank of Canada

Bank of Canada Employee Reviews

Canada57 reviews
Lots of great leaders, programs and volunteer opportunities. Advancement opportunities can be difficult to find if you’re not in the economic departments.
La banque emploi sans distinction de race et de religion, elle est l'une des meilleures banque dans le monde que nous souhaitons tous intégrer.
Pros
Une bonne embillance professionnelle
Cons
Le dossier des postulants laisser longment sans suite
Overall a great place to work. Typical day consists of report writing and analytic thinking. Fast-paced environment focused on keeping the Bank of Canada safe from a cyber and physical perspective.
I have worked for the Bank of Canada from Oct. 2010 to 2018 the first 15 months on a contract and the last 6 1/2 years has a term employee, my experience was very interesting. But in 2017 Dec. they had a new policy that whoever was working 3 years and over has a term employee that they would not renew their contract even with fully meet performance appraisal every year that I was there.
Cons
not renew my contract even after working with fully meet performance appraisal
No more details, no more details will not be provided, no more details I can provide to satisfy your need as it is confidential, confidential information.
I experienced, witnessed and reported bullying. I stood up for what I believe was right. I was assertive. I questioned a directive. I wrote a memo to help find a solution to a problem. I stated facts. I was fired with cause (insubordination, disrespect) - The tipping point of a long, disgraceful, indecent, insensitive and humiliating procedure led by very uncourageous leaders/HR.

Why ? I gave colleagues opportunities to work on exciting, meaningful and innovative projects. I helped Canada and Canadians succeed. I am a high achiever, successful and popular, an expert in my field. I started and was leading the quantum initiative, in the middle of a research project with my collaborator from academia.

Never underestimate the ability of little men and women - who hide behind a 10 dollars bill - to harm, hurt and destroy.
It was one of the best places I have ever worked. People treat you like family. A place to grow , in the 12 years I worked there, I can't say one bad thing about the company! I wish I could have a chance to work there again.
The only reason I left is because my spouse retired and we moved back to NL!
Great place overall. Encourages development and growth for its staff, but extremely competitive and not always easy to get promoted. Nurtured and encourages innovation. A truly unique employer in Canada given its mandate as a central bank.
Fun workplace with gym hall. Nice place to work. It's open monday to friday. i learn more about the business. The management it's helpfull and are professional . I will recommande to work there .
j'ai beaucoup aimer mon expérience a la banque de canada.
On the surface, the Bank of Canada is a fantastic place to work. The facilities are second-to-none, the benefits are great, and the pension is unmatched. If you're able to become permanent, it's almost worth it to put up with the other less than flattering aspects of the organization.

The workplace culture is uneven at best, and tiered at worst. If you're an Economist, you're treated with the most respect. All other employees are second class in this respect. There is a heavy emphasis on repeating the same taglines about the Bank's culture and how great of a place it is to work, and little in the way of enforcing it. Innovation is encouraged as much as the direct manager agrees with the innovation presented. New ideas are not encouraged unless they are approved by middle-management, which will work employees (Especially contracted employees) to their absolute limit. Working 12 hour days regularly is not unheard of, and in my experience, the Bank is almost unwilling to pay overtime for this (Manager dependent, of course).

If you're applying yo the Bank in a termed position, you have to know that you're likely replacing someone on leave. Your position will almost certainly not be extended. Permanent positions are a rarity at the Bank, appearing in approximately 5-10% of job postings. As such, the stress of job security is always present, and there is always implied pressure from middle management not to take advantage of HR's well defined programs for employees.

Overall, the Bank is great on paper. If you pull a good middle-manager, your experience will be positive. However,
 - more...
Good for full time employees however short contracts also pay off well and good management take care of your needs. over all its not bad place to work. you are respected if you know your job well.
This company is great to work for. Amazing benefits.
Working around ITS, there are a few areas that are great. Stay clear of Service Management or Cyber Security. These are both really toxic work environments. Cyber is tough because of workload, Service Management is purely a management problem.
- Low stress work environment
- Learned to work independently and as a team

- Culture can be a bit bureaucratic at times, but overall, a good place to work

- Hardest part of the job was handling last minute requests on tight deadlines

- Most enjoyable part of the job is working on meaningful work that you can share with the whole country
Pros
Fintness Facility, flexible hours, benefits, salary
Cons
Approval process, micro management at times, not much room to progress in career
3 month contract, remote location, great staff, friendly management. Easy job with low call volume on some days, and high on others, which provided a nice change of pace.
Travailler à la Banque du Canada a été une expérience très enrichissante pour moi. J'ai travaillé avec des collègues hors pair et j'ai eu de très bons patrons. La reconnaissance est une des choses qui m'a le plus marqué en travaillant là. On se sentait tellement apprécié !
A great place to work as an economist, senior economist, financial analyst, research assistant, director, managing director, deputy governor, and governor.
You always have an opportunity to design your day. No two days are the same. Your colleagues become family and support you in your work initiatives at every step. a great place to work and be recognized for your contributions.
What started as a fantastic experience slowly deteriorated as challenging possibilities became fewer, partially due to a misunderstanding, and I ended up learning nothing over the second part of my employment there. The salary discrepancy was ignored and never addressed, despite valid concerns. The team atmosphere is good and many hard-working and interesting people work there.
Good Experience , learnt lot of new things there. Great Team and had a good work environment there to work. Managers and lead managers were too nice and so co-operative all the time