Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity Employee Reviews

Cool place, aimed at guests and artists, but little care towards staff
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB13 May 2019
The review I'll leave of the Banff Centre will be bitter sweet, because I actually enjoyed working here at first. But then, all the little secrets started to leak out here and there and we learned about the truth.

I worked as a food and beverage server, and the only way to advance to either Maclab or Ravens restaurant is by waiting your turn, or having an amazing resume with tons of prior fine dining experience.

When you first start there as a server, you work in Vistas, the buffet. Expect highly demanding managers, supervisors and customers, all while earning 15 dollars an hour, with no tips. NO THANKS.

The atmosphere was stifling, and you are treated like a dog, or some moron oftentimes, but there are many great people that will love you, and that you will love so don't take this review as gospel.

I have the type of personality to "act now, apologise later" and Banff Centre will not have that. Make friends with your supervisors and managers quickly, otherwise your experience will turn to poison, just like it did for me.
Pros
beautiful environment, opportunity to earn great tips during summer (at Maclab or Raven's), always get 40 hours per week, Free meals at the staff hub (food and beverage employees have a blind-eye turned and don't pay)
Cons
poor pay, poor staff housing management, stifling work environment catered towards artists, but no cares towards staff, an over-abundance of young and useless supervisors that don't do anything all shift
Good and conducive work place
Server (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB7 April 2019
Nice and conducive work place . Great hospitality towards guests and staffs . Good and awesome benefits . But would like to take my career to another level .
Une place enrichissante
Serveuse de banquet (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB26 January 2019
J'ai trouvé que cette entreprise offrait de multiples avantages sociaux, les employés qui y travaillent sont très gâtés et cela se transmet dans la productivité en général. Les gens aiment y être, il y a un fort sentiment d'appartenance et une grande fierté de dire qu'on y travaille. Il y a aussi de fortes possibilités d'avancement professionnel. Il est possible d'y exercer plusieurs types de travail. C'est une place ouverte et accueillante.
Amazing Colleagues
Manager (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB23 September 2018
The teams that work together to deliver amazing programming at Banff Centre are top notch. There is room for improvement in the Senior Leadership team to communicate Banff Centre's overarching goal.
Pros
Great benefits, great teams
busy, nice coworkers
House Keeper (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB16 August 2018
coworkers were nice however supervisors could be harsh at times. most days people don't tip the housekeepers but a highlight is when you walk in and see money for you to keep. no notice telling people how to tip. if your staying multiple days and want to tip money needs to go on the pillow or have a note.
Excellent place to work
onsite plumber (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB12 July 2018
Really good place to work with great co workers, every 2nd weekend a 3 day weekend... I loved this job. Great opportunity to meet musicians, free staff meals. overall a very positive experience.
Pros
good work/life balance, good benefits and good pay.
Cons
Old buildings in need of repair sometimes just limping by on daily repairs.
Struggling Organization
Media Production (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB28 December 2017
This is a struggling organization that desperately needs to rebuild morale from the unprofessionally executed mass firing last year. There is a detrimental and very apparent tension between grandfathered employees and new recruits reflected between what the centre actually is at this point and what marketing says it is.

Visit the Centre before you sign a contract and move.
Pros
Culture / Events
Cons
Employee Morale
Nice center of the arts
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB26 October 2017
Its a nice big campus to work at, so its a very productive environment. The customer care aspect of the job is another motivation on top of a passion for arts development.
Pros
Exposition, library, view
Cons
seasonal
Great workplace
Safety And Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB19 October 2017
Great company, great staff and professional workplace. Most enjoyable part was getting to know all the staff members throughout my daily duties as a security officer.
Good bus boy job
Server (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB22 September 2017
I got $2 above minimum at the time. They give you the solid 40 hours a week. If it's a bit slow they may cut it down a bit but everybody got even hours.

The benefits worked out great, you have access to the gym and swimming pool.
Pros
Great salary, easy to get promoted
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Creative Paradise for Artists and Staff
Assistant Stage Manager Practicum (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB11 August 2017
Banff Centre has creativity and passion for every art form in each corner of the campus. The surrounding landscape offers visual inspiration unlike anywhere else in the world. Everyone is friendly and excited to work here.
Pros
Free soup at the Hub!
Amazing
banquet server (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB3 May 2017
Long hours, but amazing job. Beautiful location. Since it is unionized you make a bit more per hour than a regular job, but it takes awhile to start moving up since there are so many staff.
Pros
free food
Cons
Best place to work in my career
Executive Assistant to the President (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB3 May 2017
EA to the President
- All duties associated with organizing the president
- Personal Assistant duties
- Calendar management
- Travel planning
- meeting management
Amazing place to start my hospitality career!
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB23 April 2017
At the Banff Centre I start off at as a server and eventually got promoted to being a bartender. I had an amazing team to work with which really helped me into my transition from server to bartender. If I ever decided to live in Banff, Alberta again I would definitely reapply at the Banff Centre.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Hours
No clear direction
Painter's assistant (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB27 March 2017
i found the banff centre to be a great place if your looking for a cheap staff acom, the banff centre is the best bet. besides that most the management is there, because they have worked there the longest. not the best qualified people
Pros
cheap staff acom
Cons
Lots of people just counting the days till retirement
beautiful view
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB1 February 2017
this was my first serving and barista job. learned a lot from the staff. Amazing view and amazing food. Everyone was so friendly from the serving staff to all the customers.
Pros
discount on food
Cons
no cons
Housekeeping department hiring process racist. Union useless and never in office
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB10 December 2016
This is for the housekeeping/custodial(building service worker) department A few good people keep the place running, but overall very poorly managed. Experienced Canadian will be turned down for inexperienced phillepenos time and time again. Also discipline is focused on non-philipeno employees. If you speak against management you wil be targeted and eventually outed.

High turn over rate (saw over seven people quit or be wrongfully dismissed within a few months). Supervisors treat you as expendable.

Benefits don't kick in for six months.
Pros
Good pay. Banff centre perks
Cons
Poorly managed, racist, poor hiring process
Great learning experience and work culture
PHOTOGRAPHER PRACTICUM (Current Employee) –  Banff, AB31 October 2016
Great learning experience and work culture. Practicum positions at Banff Centre provide commercial and visual artists with real-world experience in their field and invaluable mentorship from esteemed professionals in their field.
Productive and multicultural place to work
Room attendant (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB19 February 2016
I learned different new things of my co workers who became really good friends , I improved my english and learned a bit of french .
Pros
50 % off per meal
Extremely collaborative and inspiring
NBC Sponsored Field Producer/Director (Former Employee) –  Banff, AB5 November 2014
Being surrounded in a mountain environment around people that are passionate about what they do really affects the quality of your work. Working at the Banff Centre has been my best work & life experience and I would recommend the place to anyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2