Banana Republic Employee Reviews

Found 241 reviews matching the search See all 2,682 reviews
HORRIBLE district Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 May 2019
The Toronto district manager is absolutely horrible.

Great company, horrible managers making the absolute highest turn over I've ever seen (Kitchener location)
Pros
GAP is great, clothes are great
Cons
Upper Management.
Pretentious Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2019
Banana Republic is a great place to work if you are into higher-end fashion. If you know a lot about fabrics, materials, styles and cuts then working here would be great for you. If you do not fit that criteria then Banana Republic might not be the best place for you. Management as well as co-workers can be quite pretentious at times which can make you feel out of place if you do not fit that certain criteria.
Pros
50% entire store
Cons
Environment
employed
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2019
The discount of this place after i worked there for so long was amazing , i remembered i reach the top profit sales on just one cusomter i really miss this place
23 April 2019

Gap Inc. is proud to offer our employees a variety of benefits, including an employee merchandise discount across the family of brands. We're happy you listed this as a pro.

Équipe agréable, mais salaire trop peu pour le travail fourni.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC8 April 2019
Bien pour une première expérience, permet de connaître service clientèle.
sales associate at Banana Republic
Assistante de vente (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB2 April 2019
On a typical day, I either work in the fitting rooms or at cash. In the fitting rooms, there is always someone directing customers to the appropriate rooms and getting them sizes, someone returning the clothes and another person reorganizing it. Personally, I prefer bringing sizes and helping customers find something they like because it always makes their day.
I also work a lot on cash, which includes ringing people in, doing returns and numerous other chores.
I also regularly work the shipment shifts on Tuesday and Friday mornings at 6 am where my coworkers and I stock the store with new clothes.
Pros
great managers and co-workers
Cons
long hours on our feet running around
9 April 2019

We mean it when we say we're customer-obsessed! We appreciate you sharing what it's like to work as a sales associate on our team in Moncton, New Brunswick.

Bonne intégration à l'équipe
Vendeuse (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC31 March 2019
les horaires sont variables mais parfois incertains et en retard. Bon esprit d'équipe général et environnement agréable.
Pros
environnement très enthousiaste et personnel confiant
Cons
retards des horaires
Not for everyone, flexible hours
Men's floor seller (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 March 2019
As a sales associate I would be active on the floor, attempting to sell items and ensure the customer was properly helped in the store. Additionally I would be active in making sure the store looked aesthetically pleasing. This included folding clothes, rearranging the layout, etc.

I didn't learn much that I hadn't known before to be honest. I did learn a lot regarding what goes behind the scenes in retail.

The management was very friendly, open and understanding. I was lucky to be in a great team. My colleagues were also all friendly and approachable. Most of the team consisted of part-time workers however, and there was a high rate of turnover.

The workplace culture is lacking I think. Not much going on there. Since the sales associates are mostly part-time, not many of them are invested in the culture of the company. Many of them such as myself at the time were university students, so their minds were on other things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely doing all the aforementioned tasks (selling, organising, helping customers) during high traffic hours. The management would know of such hours and be sure to have more associates on shift at the time, yet there is a point where it is still quite overwhelming. Additionally, it is impossible to always anticipate when there will be high traffic.

The most enjoyable part was the people I got to work with. I met many good people and made many friends. Additionally the management were very accommodating with my commitments as a student and the hours were very flexible, so that was a big benefit of the job.
Pros
Good teammates, flexible hours
Cons
Not that interesting work-wise, low pay as a sales associate
9 April 2019

We believe in setting our employees up for success and are disappointed to hear your experience. We have a lot of training resources to help employees improve their skills and are working on development plans. We share feedback like this with relevant teams who are working to drive positive change across the company. Thank for your taking the time to write thorough feedback.

Fun place
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 March 2019
Dressing up every day was exciting initially, then it got tiring especially when you're running late.
It's a lot of running around the store and a really fast-paced environment.
If you look good you feel good because the store maintains a standard and you feel like you fit in.
Management was really sweet but I left because I felt like they were changing the rules every day. For example, when I joined I was told if I call in sick within one hour of my shift it'll be considered a no-show. Later on, they changed it to call in on the day of the shift and three no-shows result to termination... I feel like that's kind of inconsiderate on the management's part because most of their employees are students and have to balance both work and school.
Otherwise, it's a fun experience honestly.
Pros
pot lucks; discounts; short hours
Cons
not enough hours; poor management;
4 April 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough and thoughtful review. We take this feedback to heart and share it with relevant teams that work to drive positive change across the organization.

Amazing Staff!
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB25 February 2019
One of my favorite jobs as it is so much fun to create outfits for grateful people! It's easy but constantly busy making every day go by quick! The staff and management are exceptional and still talk to them years down the road from when I worked there.
18 March 2019

We're so glad to hear your experience. There's a reason why we have so many employees who got their fashion careers started in one of our stores!

good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ON25 February 2019
very friendly management, always wanted employees to succeed. store was run very well and employees were like a little family. great place to work for a part time job. very good discounts
18 March 2019

This is what we love to hear! Thanks for sharing your experience as a Sales Associate in one of our stores.

Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 February 2019
I have worked in several work environments and The Factory Outlet is a great place to work and management is extremely supportive and infinitely patient. I started as winter employee and once I found a full-time job, I was asked to stay on. I truly enjoy going to work at Banana Republic. Too bad I could not make a career of it.
Pros
Great atmosphere
1 March 2019

Thank you for your comments. We are so glad to hear of your positive experience with our management.

Fun and safe environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2019
Banana republic has a really good and safe work environment. Everybody would be on top of what they had to do and asking for help was never something I had to shy away from. In general I found this job to be very helpful and it will definitely help me in the future.
1 March 2019

We love hearing this! We work hard to create a culture in which everyone is willing to roll up their sleeves and contribute to the team. Thanks for sharing your experience as a Sales Associate.

Management was not great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 February 2019
In the location I worked at, the management was not the greatest. There was constant drama between the employees and the management team, which seemed odd. There were a lot of miscommunications and not a lot of team work. I only worked there for a short period of time, but in the little time I did, I was not impressed considering Banana Republic is considered an up scale brand.
7 February 2019

We're sorry to hear your experience with management. We understand the important part our leaders play in our employees experiences. We are committed to offering our managers resources to help them better succeed in their roles and ensure they're supporting their teams.

productive and fun work place
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 February 2019
the best ever retail brand to work with a friendly staff and encouraging manager. amazing work environment with a lot of opportunites to expand knowledge.
7 February 2019

We're thrilled to hear this! We understand the value in helping our employees develop skills they can use in and out of the workplace. Thanks for sharing your experience as a sales representative.

Nice place to work
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC29 January 2019
I had fun working at Banana Republic! It was my first job in retail, and I learnt a lot about fashion through working with them. The managers made an active effort to scout out talent and give opportunities for development.
Pros
very supportive management
7 February 2019

We're so happy to learn of your experience. There's a reason why we have so many employees who have been with the company for so long. In fact, some of our longest-tenured leaders got their start in fashion in one of our stores!

Don’t work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 January 2019
They don’t care about their staff. I had to go to the hospital but they wouldn’t call an ambulance because “making sales are more important”. I had call my husband to carry me out of the store. The managers also like to treat people badly if the sales goal is low. The pay isn’t great and the staff are always grumpy because of this.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes and the discount
Cons
Health is jeopardized
Good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 January 2019
Lots of room for opportunity, thorough training, friendly staff, flexible scheduling, great discounts, comfortable environment and much more. That's about it.
11 February 2019

We appreciate this feedback. Thanks for sharing what it's like to work at our store in Mississauga, ON!

amazing coworkers
Caissière, Service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC24 January 2019
Love our team making it fun to work. Slightly poor management with making schedules and not giving enough hours to their employees, instead they just over-hire new employees. Can't grow in the company since no one is full-time other than the managers.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
management, not enough hours
11 February 2019

We understand scheduling can be a pain point for some of our employees. We are constantly working hard to improve how we staff our stores. Thanks for your comments.

Perfect.
Fashion associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 January 2019
Pros

Worked there for 2 years.
-- Amazing People
-- Top Management listens to you
-- Friendly Atmosphere
-- WFH and work life balance
-- Compensation

Cons

-- None
Infact I will reapply if I plan to move back to that job.
Fun work environment with flexible hours for part time position
Non-Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2019
Great part time job with flexible hours. Management team was great everyone would work together as a team. Wish there was more opportunity for growth and development.
24 January 2019

Thank you for your review. We are working on new development plans to help managers assist in the growth of their direct reports. This is part of our continuous commitment to the growth and development of our employees across the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Banana Republic. Our community is ready to answer.