Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Review

View all Baker Hughes Incorporated reviews

easy to get job, great money, some awful coworkers
Field Operator III - Pressure Pumping (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 June 2014
The upside: When I first started working at Baker, I only had a class 5 drivers licence, I was flat broke, and wasn't expecting much. After the first month, they put me through training and paid for my class 1 licence, dozens of safety tickets, and all of my ppe. By the third month, I was making good money and after getting laid off, Baker gave me a huge amount of money for a severance package. I learned A LOT working for Baker. How to work safely, work on the trucks, even how to act in the field - It was my first oilfield job. Lots of heavy lifting. Managed to lose 10 pounds working for them and my arms got huge. The management at Baker was great. Really good guys (and girls) working in the office. Very well mannered, professional, and fair. A lot of the older guys I worked with had a great sense of humor

The downside: There is a kind of "boys club" going on at Baker Hughes in Red Deer and if you're not "one of the boys", you get picked on. Some of the guys working there are just awful people and there's nothing you can really do about it because they've been there longer. Lots of gossip in the company, if you say something or do something off key, everyone knows about it across north america within a week (for real). Field supervisors can also be really nasty - if you make them mad, they work you like a dog until they settle down and they always try and rush you during rig-ins and rig-outs. It's very difficult to move up quickly in the company because there are so many guys working there, all after the more senior roles. Baker also had 3 massive layoffs in the 11 months
  more... that I was working there.

There were a lot of good times at Baker but there were also a lot of bad times in terms of some of the guys I had to work with in the field. All in all, I will never work for a large fracing company again. If you're looking for first time oil field experience, a class 1 licence, lots of safety tickets, and fat pay checks, Baker is a great company to start with but don't under estimate smaller oil field companies.
Pros
experience, free ppe, class 1 training, tickets
Cons
coworkers

Other Baker Hughes Incorporated Employee Reviews

Good for a new grad
Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Canada19 April 2018
Good job for a new grad - learn professionalism in the workplace and adopt the safety culture of oil and gas. Advancement is encouraged in some product lines.
My overall experience with the pipeline integrity division was Good!
Field Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB10 April 2018
I joined in the Pipeline inspection division, almost 4 years ago , the pay was not great , but compensated with a good Job Work/Life Balance ,unfortunately the merger with GE has changed a lot of things for the worse . it no longer the same company .
Pros
a good Job Work/Life Balance
Cons
the pay was not great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baker Hughes Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K