BAKED EXPECTATIONS Employee Reviews

busy and intense workplace with competitive co-workers
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 March 2019
It was an okay workplace, if the management was a bit more organized I think I would've liked working there a whole lot better. Its a fast paced working environment with little to no breaks, it seemed as though everyone working there was constantly competing for something. The hardest part of the job was not knowing what to do when it was slow, getting glared at by the management was no help at all.
Pros
if there was cake left, you can eat it
Cons
little to no breaks
Great work experience
Busser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2019
I really enjoyed my time working at Baked Expectations last summer. I was an immigrant and English is not my first language, but I was very welcomed. Everyone seemed like they wanted me to succeed and was very nice.
Cool Environment and Great Team
Counter Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 March 2019
I had great co-workers and got along fairly well with management and the owner. How bad can it really be when you're working with cake all day. The tips I made as a counter server were pretty good, much better than even serving at the last place I worked.
Pros
Good Tips
Horrible Owner
Counter Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2019
The owner of Baked Expectations is truly awful, constantly changing her standards so you'll never fully meet them, swears at employees while costumers are present. Will hire you on the spot and forget about it when you show up for your first shift. Inadequate training and no breaks, truly a bad experience. I was hired on for a cook position but got moved to a busser and counter attendant despite years of experience as a cook
Difficult to produce a team
Lead cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 February 2019
The job lures young workers in with competitive wage but you discover very quickly that it isn't worth it having to deal with the owner. Rude and disrespectful even to her longest running employees (how they do it, I don't know) There are always ads running for employment there simply because people quit so fast.
You do however receive free food and meet some cool people working in an open kitchen. So if you're starving and willing to be a punching bag, by all means...
Pros
Free food
Cons
Psychotic owner who micromanages.
Cool atmosphere. Stylish dining room set-up. Not easy.
JANITORIAL CLEANER, LINE COOK (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2019
It was a very strenuous job that required a lot of physical exertion and didn't offer a high enough wage for what they had asked for or required as a janitor.
Very rude manager.
Felt unfairly treated.
Extremely dramatic and stressful workplace.
Very hard work.
A lot of responsibility.
Low wage.
Pros
Free lunches.
Cons
Not enough hours to go around and rude management.
Lax and uninspiring
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2018
Prep/Cook and clean like all line cooks

The GM is very nice and understanding but the Owner handles all the manager stuff (Manager without power)

Workplace is very good in the evening, there are some really nice and fun people to work with

Hardest part is working with the owner. She isnt very respectful or nice and is very nasty to anyone she doesnt know

Most enjoyable part is working alone, knowing only you are responsible for your work
Pros
free food for cooks
Cons
having to deal with the owner, who is not very friendly or nice
The biggest NOPE ever
Front Counter Staff (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 April 2018
The worst experience of my working life. The staff is lovely, but, by my second shift, the owner was just plain mean. She treated me and the other staff in such a disrespectful manner - she was impatient and yelled at us multiple times.

The shifts have no end time. You get sent home whenever they feel, which leads to 10 hour days at times.

Stay away.
Pros
Cons
Inadequate training, inconsistent scheduling, mean and disrespectful owner
Steer clear
Counter Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 October 2017
Owner is an actual monster! Takes things out on staff and screams at them in front of customers until they cry. Fellow staff very supportive but definitely NOT worth it. Beth is an awful women.
Cons
Awful environment
Don't do it
Counter Person (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 May 2017
Management is horrible, the workers that are around you are awesome and super supportive, it's upper management and one of the supervisors that makes your work life difficult. The owner is actually insane, she makes your work life extremely difficult, you feel stressed out and for lack of a better word, you forget how to work... They'll fire you even if you're doing well and honestly, it's not worth it unless you're willing to have to stay strong and resist hiding in the bathroom in order to make sure no one sees you cry in frustration, there are better places to work at. Don't apply here.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No job security, lack of opportunities for advancement
Toxic
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 May 2017
Stay clear due to owner. Not worth it to work in such a toxic work environment. Staff were awesome and stuck together to help each other through... But absolutely outrageous that this is necessary to survival in this position. It's shameful that it is such a successful business at the expense of the employees.
Cons
Toxic environment
Look for another job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
She is a difficult owner to work for. If you're a baker or a cook, you will be working for minimum wage +$1 or $2 and will get no benefits. If you are a server, you will make good tips. There is no full-time position, tbh. I don't think she knows the meaning of full-time position. She wants you to be available anytime of a day and of a week and will give you only a few shifts, or she will make you work 60 hours a week if it's busy. She doesn't appreciate your hard work at all. If you tell her you cannot work for some weekend nights, she will tell you, "You can quit if you don't like working here." She is known for that. in average, 10-15 people quit every month according to my old colleagues who still work there.

Good, friendly colleagues.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
the owner
Not worth it
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2017
The owner is incredibly difficult to work with. Shifts with her make it not worth working there, as she makes it a hostile work environment. All other employees are incredible to work with.
Pros
Environment is great. Good tips.
Cons
Difficult owner.
Horrible owner
Busser/ barista (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2017
Owner is overly involved at baked expectations and regularly yells and shames workers in front of others for minor mistakes. I worked here for 3 days and quit. Funky place loved it before I got a job there but the crazy boss was too much stress!!
Pros
Unique place, great good
Cons
Horrible boss, verbal worker abuse
Fast-paced
Server Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2014
- addressing customers' requests and needs
- problem solving and supervising staff at all levels
- daily cash out and closing duties
Pros
Food and delicious cake
Cons
No room for advancement
nope
Counter Service/Busser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 June 2013
terrible management and unorganized.
poor communication