Bailey Nelson

Bailey Nelson Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews

Supportive and Fun

Featured review

Bailey Nelson selected this as a representative review
I have worked for this company for a few years now, the culture is great in stores, we have a lot of fun and actually work as a team which is refreshing. The leadership is awesome and checks in with us about future plans even if they are not with BN and helps us progress towards those goals. It does not feel overly sales focused and there is more emphasis on customer experience.

Pros

Great team and Store atmosphere

It's not horrible

I do enjoy working for Bailey Nelson, my team is fun and very supportive, but management is unorganized and not professional. Though they provide training, it's not enough and is done very lazily. The work schedules are given with enough notice, very last minute. There's incentives for promotion by studying online modules at 6 months, 12 months and 18 months into the job, with a $1 increase to pay with each one completed successfully. There are decent benefits and large discounts for all staffOverall it's an ok job to start off with if you're looking to get your foot in the door of the optical field.

Pros

Training, raise incentives

Cons

Long hours, training not great, poor management

Insights into Bailey Nelson

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Lack Of Care For Patients AND Staff

Expect a job where you are one of the lowest paid optical places in the industry with expectations you are knowledgeable like an Optician without the education. Think classic retail environment. Training is self-taught; may be you’ll be some hands on help by someone who isn’t fully trained. It’s gut wrenching when you see people come in and you call them customers, not patients- this is the start of the lack of care. Don’t get me started on the lack of care for employees. One of Bailey Nelson’s core values is “always improving”. With this being a core value, you’d expect this to be a job expectation. Nope. You make a mistake, it’s held against you, while the company makes mistakes left, right, center and never takes any personal responsibility- they just play the blame game and blame previous management. This is a hard pass.

Pros

Fun coworkers. Great discount.

Cons

Expectation the job is your life, poor pay

Pay not commensurate with demands

This job had potential but the company prioritizes profits and opening new stores at insane speeds over valuing their sales and optical staff. Paid a retail wage for essentially acting as an optician. Pay should be increased by at least 20% to be commensurate with the requirements of the job. The learning curve is steep and largely self directed. Store level management tries their best to create a good environment, however higher management is clueless as to what’s going on at store level and massively disorganized. Stores keep losing hard working and capable employees to better opportunities because no one feels valued. Can feel the decline in morale as people stay employed for extended periods of time especially in full time roles. Recommend it only as a stepping stone or a part time job. Unless you live, eat, and breathe the corporate retail values you will grow to resent the company and start looking for work elsewhere as I’ve witnessed several staff experience.

Pros

Fun teammates and eyewear discount

Cons

Dismal pay, STEEP learning curve, clueless upper management

Don’t Even

Pay looks good until you do the job. Overworked for what you’re payed. They expect A LOT! out of you. You can get paid more for less. Trust!Management is immature and drinking their own kool aid! Started off as a good idea but executed very poorly. It needs a whole overhaul!

Pros

People you work with are great!

Cons

management awful, overworked, underpaid, gossip

A Toxic Workplace!

I have been in retail for over ten years, this company made my life unbearable There claim there team is tight knit, but you will get no support from them. There are some happy rich people working at their headquarters coming up with lame theories and expect you to apply them! Save your energy, life, and happiness by not working there! The management does not appreciate you and they are harsh on dressing codes.

Terrible management.

The store I worked at had to many staff members who disliked the store manager. Whom took staff aside to berate them for finding steadier employment. Only perk was heavily discounted eye ware. If you just need to get out of your house this is an ok job to have. But if you need more steady hours don’t bother applying to this company.

Company needs to emphasis care on their employees same manner as their customers

The product is high quality and top notch- plus, the concept of affordable glasses is amazing! However, optical care in a retail setting is a challenge, as the training is lacking- expect to be put on the sales floor right away, without knowing much. 70% of the learning is self-taught, with the rest on the job; often you need to call other stores for help as the staff you work with are not trained well either. Almost every store is short staffed, on every position from Stylist to Optician to even Optometrists. For low prescriptions, the job model works. Those with high prescriptions, prisms, progressives- these people need more care and this is where you see the training lacking. The company has a long way to go, as their current emphasis on opening stores up as quick as possible is not working. The emphasis needs to be put on opening each store WELL and paying their employees respectively in accordance with their competitors in the optical field.

AVOID unless you wanna feel like you’re back in 8th grade

The bad far outweighs the good about working for Bailey Nelson, be prepared to get taken advantage of! As an eyewear stylist you’re expected to do the work of an optician which is a joke considering you’re only getting paid a retail wage. Management in store is extremely cliquey complete with going in the back or leaving the store to gossip (A throwback to 8th grade in school). Some of the behaviour towards staff is so rude and unprofessional, cultivating a very hostile work environment. They act like vultures looking for any mistake you’ve made and take great pleasure in swooping down to pick at you. It’s obvious to see that it’s being done to make themselves feel better as they’re very reluctant to give you any positive feedback, thriving only on giving negative. The company promotes 3 core values, “tight knit, down to earth and Constantly improving” it’s laughable how far away from these values they are and BN really need to give more attention to store management. There’s a high turnover in staff and a clear disconnect between management and retail associates which indicates that more needs to be done so everyone can work cohesively and to feel appreciated.

Pros

Nice customers.

Cons

Poor management, toxic work environment, high staff turnover, low pay for what is expected which lowers motivation

Don't do it.

Catty management, unrealistic expectations of employees for wages given, not enough training, not enough support from higher ups. Overall, I'd say no.

As time progressed, the company didn’t.

Felt as though the company lost sight of initial values, company culture, goals and I feel like the pandemic amplified that for the canadian stores. Saw many key employees in head office under-appreciated which later moved to the store level teams. Not transparent about internal growth in the company, fair compensation (especially for fulfilling positions in lieu of coverage or promotion), not enough support from head office, and never enough sufficient training to new employees. Be open to work at multiple locations due to not enough coverage. Met amazing people and great returning patients along the way, but the turnover was overwhelming high and the burn out was real.

horrible management

and company culture that do not know how to talk to people and actual train someone and expect someone with no training to understand everything in 2 weeks and psychopathic leadership I actually can not call it leadership or management but the lies that come out of their mouth with a smile turns my stomach. and price wise you get what you pay for these cheap glasses.

Cons

rude management

I loved my time at BN!

I've been in optical for over 14 years and Bailey Nelson was the most refreshing and fun approach to this industry I've ever come across. They actively encourage every associate to engage in company views and keep open lines of communications to all level of management and production. This is the only corporate company I've worked that actively placed importance on an employee's mental health and well-being and celebrated their team members' unique personalities, instead of trying to force them into a typical 'salesperson' mold.

Pros

open communication lines

Cons

more reactive than proactive but they're still a growing company so it's expected

Bailey Nelson is a great company to work for, with lots of room for growth! Management is very supportive. It's a job where you can actually be your self and feel accepted - it's such a welcoming environment!

Pros

Room for growth

Awful place to work at if you want job stability!

I regret having to write this review but unfortunately my time at the company was atrocious. The management doesn’t care about you at all. I moved across the country for this job and was let go one week in. I would not recommend this company to anyone who wants some job stability in their life.

Pros

Cons

Horrible management

Amazing job to kickstart career

Best job I've ever had, company genuinely cares about employees and highly values both professional and personal goals. Upper management works to push employees and facilitate professional growth within the company at a pace that suits each employee's needs. Work culture is laid back and feels like family. Day to day environment is comfortable and fun with frequent opportunities to learn and build on optical and retail skills.

You'll love the people you work with but not the management

It becomes very common for people that you work with to leave; not a lot of people stay. It quickly becomes stepping stone for most people. They don't try to push for the optical values but the retail side of things. Great job to work as a stylists, but not as an eye care professionals. You become really quick to learn that upper management says anything behind your back.

Pros

relaxed environment

Cons

not very organized in optical side

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bailey Nelson. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement