Baffinland Iron Mines

Baffinland Iron Mines Employee Reviews

Canada61 reviews
I enjoy the northern environment and the people that i work with ,I have found that the supervisors and management will go out of their way to cause conflict among the workers.
great place to work
co-workers were good, family feel

Food was great, good selection and healthy choices

options for growth within the company

climate was exceptional
I miss working 12 hours a day
For 2 weeks with no days off is alot of fun and hard work may be stressful but its part of the job it is awesome to be there
Cette entreprise met en place une exploitation hors du commun et y participer a été très enrichisaant à tous le spoints de vue.
Lots of favoritism . Planes for flights to and from site are hit and miss for being on time. Disorganized. Camp accommodations are good and food is ok.
Tools at the port site for mechanics were pretty hard to come by. If you were going to leave the shop for anything, you had to lock up your box or stuff would disappear. Other than that, it's just what you would expect working in the arctic.
in baffinland its 12 hour shift for 2 weeks no days off and there a gym training room tennis table darts cafeteria is open 24 hours and Theres all kinds of different jobs in baffinland
The people I work with a really good people and I have learned a lot from everyone here and I will take away many new experiences and some are good and some are not so good. A great place to get a start in working in the mining industry.
Management for nuna was terriable. Ex army guy real piece of work didn't care about his worker except his favorites formen were good. Safety was a joke wouldn't do there job half the time. Said they were overwhelmed haha a joke don't recommend anyone go out there to work for nuna a waste if time and underpaid
Poor management/Poor Safety
No room for advancement unless your in the click, pushing employees beyond boundaries Not very accommodating to its employees about overtime that was not paid.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Baffinland Iron Mines?
This was a very unique work experience. While I learned a lot about the Microsoft Office Suite and how to keep all departments running smoothly, I also gained valuable skills during my recruitment tour in Nunavut.
Not a bad place too work people I work with was awesome working nights was something too get used too as it was 24 hr sun light all and al it's a experience
A difficult and different place to work. The people are very friendly and the surrounding area is spectacular. Food sucks. Accommodations are dirty. No leadership.
I enjoy working with baffinland. I love the fact that I work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for two weeks and have two weeks off. And also be able to spend time with family on my time off.
I love the experience working there . The people were very nice. Great culture and the locals were really nice to meet . I would definitely go back again .
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
No cons . You are up there to work eat sleep and make money
Typical work included processing expense reports submitted by employees, preparing financial statements and reports for quarter and year end.
Did some analysis on financial statements.

Culture is very relaxed, but can get very busy with tight deadlines.
Pros
very nice office and atmosphere
Cons
Desperately needs a Union.
If your a contractor its even worse. You will have to live in the Tent City for your time there. Tents. Yes. In the Arctic? Yes.

12 hours per day with some o/t. You get paid straight time for 12 hours; then time and a half after that.

The food is ok. Modular camp is ok.

Made to work outside in Arctic Blizzard, with +80km/hr winds.

Esp. when that is not part of your job.
Pros
Ok pay. 2 weeks in, 2 weeks out.
Cons
Managements disrespect for its employees safety and well being.
The worst I’ve ever seen, not a fit place to work, safety is a joke,, fatalities brushed off instead of addressed, place needs complete change in management, and HR, respect and discrimination is not fit,,,,
Pros
Great co workers below management
Cons
Management, safety, Hr, Practice what you preach you bunch of BLUFFS, Talk the Talk, Walk theWalk
Lots of contradicting management styles here, with some managers and supervisors bullying the staff. No one not even HR says antyhing, guess they're too afraid of losing their jobs.
Very poorly organized and still operating as it they are in 1980. Managment doesn't seem to ahve the experience or drive to know how to improve the project which is too bad as its a really interesting place to work with lots of great people.

Extremely high turn over but no one is willing to do anything about it.

Safety is only thought about in a reactive vs. proactive manner, and ut takes a fatality (that's two now in the last few years) for something (the bare minimum) to be changed.

Do not work here if you value your life, the lives of others, or if you want to be treated with respect.
Pros
Nice camp with good food. Great people
Cons
Terrible rotation, travel allowance doesn't cover cost of travel to site, poor management, unsafe work environment. Bullying and intimidation run rampant.
Interesting operation, unfortunately the management at the time liked to run on good ideas instead of utilizing a management of change procedure. which lead to cost over runs and poor equipment availability.
the mine is very far away top of Baffin island with very large equipment and a lot of times safety is not there more into production and working on a 100 ton truck with 12 to 19 % grades and hard on the brakes
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Baffinland Iron Mines. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9