Badger Daylighting Inc. Employee Reviews

I was enthused at first, but after some time, was tired of the games
Hydrovac Operator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 June 2018
Management holds you back. They have their favorites, and they are the employees who get the better paying jobs and regular hours. The rest of us stay home. Management is obviously cutting corners, but unfortunately at the expense of employees. Employee morale is down, makes for a polluted work environment. Rate per hour is ok, but you get hit with travel time and then that brings your overall hourly pay way down. Supervisors were great, Manager plays too many games and surely will get caught soon. One positive note, all the training that Badger provides is like a gold star on your resume. So if nothing else, use it for the training and then go and get a better paying job, where you are appreciated as a hardworking and honest employee.
Pros
excellent training and certification
Cons
lack of hours, no promotions, always fighting for proper wages/rates of pay etc.
Loved the job itself. Was awesome to find my line or digging a cellar with steps. Sense of accomplishment and pride.
Operator Assistant/Swamper (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB16 June 2018
I worked with Badger in Cold Lake for 6 months and the management there wasn’t nice. Spent my first AB winter as a Swamper in -40 and I done an awesome job for them. I worked hard in freezing temps , digging through ice, climbing on top of the truck to water up and the customer was always happy. No raise after 3 months, 4,5 or 6 and no evaluation done. There’s no incentives there at all. I mentioned to management and she said “we will have to talk about it”. She was resentful because on site I wouldn’t share a hotel room with a guy to save her $ even though customer pays for our rooms And no she wasn’t kidding when she asked me why I didn’t check out of hotel room and buddy up with the operator. Two beds in hotel room she said so it’s ok. I was costing her money she said. I was disgusted and felt disrespected as a woman. I wouldn’t share room with a guy and since then I was treated unfairly. She was about the almighty dollar going in her pocket and everyone else didn’t matter. I was very happy to leave that environment but sad because I loved digging and playing in the mud. It’s also sad to know that some managers still don’t respect woman working in this industry but don’t let that stop you from doing what you want to do. I didn’t. Just work hard and stay safe and you will come up on top.
Pros
Doing something different almost every day
Cons
Treated you with no respect and no raise after probation period
Sub par overall
Operator (Former Employee) –  Alberta24 May 2018
Inconsistent at best, hours are hit and miss
Certainly not a place to plan any kind of life around
Ok for someone who is newer to the oilfield and doesnt really need a schedule to accomodate their life
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lack of communication
Gross dont waste your time
Hydrovac Operator (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 April 2018
One word gross dont waste your time. Look elsware every other hydrovac company pays 10 bucks more an hour. Sad place primise you the world then nothing in the end
Swamper/New Employee
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB11 February 2018
The job started out good, but the driver’s did not like to train the new guys. The Training was minimal. The wages are low (for AB oilfield $22 an hour is LOW!!). Getting soaked with water, covered in mud, on a freezing cold day, is a typical day with Badger. Decent job for someone coming out of High School, but certainly not a position you want if you’re 30+ years old. I spent 90 days as a swamper and went back to my Journeyman Scaffolder Job instead. Good luck!
Pros
Warm truck, long days, local work
Cons
Low wages, toxic work environment
wide range of work near and far from home
Hydrovac Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2018
Good working environment, however management lack proper social skills with employees and feels every employee is expendable and not valued the way good employees should be. Despite typical slow down times, you will still make more than most other hydrovac companies due to the shear fact badger can and will get work no matter the cost. They always get and find work for their employees.
good company with terrible management
opeator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2017
manager is really cheap , cant believe start operator as 26/hr, management will save anything, they used dis wash soup for wash trucks, people are good when you working with
Pros
good worker
Cons
terrible management
Fun and good work
Hydrovac Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON29 October 2017
Digging hole using a hydrovac for me was a fun job. My partner and I got along and worked well with each other. Most days I would be doing something a bit different depending on what Job site I was on so that kept the job fresh.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Early start to the day
High Stress
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC24 October 2017
Not a pleasant work place. Long hours and not many nice people to work with. No loyalty and didn't matter how hard you worked. No rewards and no re-assurance. The new Area manager was not a very understanding people person. Only interested in the bottom line.
Pros
good wage
Cons
bad work environment
great work environment
Seinor Swamper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2017
really great place to work as long as you like long hours year round then this is the place for you. The owners are really awesome people that never hesitated to help their employees again just couldn't ask for a better boss
Pros
long hrs awesome owners
Competitive wage, lots of hours and fun team
Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 September 2017
New manager has turned things around and is an interesting place to work. Different everyday and twice as busy as last year. Best Hydro Vac in Vancouver. Woot woot.
Pros
Team building events, management listens, lots of work
Cons
Outdoors in rain
Promise lots deliver little.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 September 2017
Worked 3 months at burlington location. Never reached 40 hrs. in 1 week. Management plays employees against each other for overtime and top paying work (pipeline,hydro...).Union has many letters of agreement to avoid following contract. Lots of Cowboys work here. Take advantage of training then look for full-time job elsewhere .
Pros
see below
Cons
see below
Warning...Terrible place to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2017
Huge turnover rate.Complete gong show. Managment refers to there people as "pilons" and treats them like garbage.The manager is well known and hated in the hydro- vac industry.
Pros
You get treated like garbage
Cons
You get treated like garbage
Great bunch of guys to work with.
Hydrovac Swamper (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 September 2017
Great hard working guy to work with. A lot of out a town work, and long hours. Great work inviroment and positive atmosphere. The best part of the job would be doing something different every other day, the worst part is being away from family for long periods of time.
Cheap
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 September 2017
Badger in general are cheap. The managers only care about their pockets. All the managers like to micromanage and save every buck they can. They talk a good game but can't fulfill the commitments. Badger has poor morale.
They do have great benefits and an RSP plan. But that's all they have. VERY high turnaround of staff.
Pros
benefits and RSP plan
Cons
managers are cheap and will do anything to cut the persons throat.
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
I really enjoyed my time here, was greeted with friendly faces each day and everyone that I worked either directly or indirectly with was happy and you could tell that they enjoyed their jobs.
Pros
always acknowledged for hard work, lunches on the bosses, and golf days
operator
Hydrovac Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 August 2017
most thankless company I have worked for in quite a while, hours fluctuate immensely and most area managers are happier to appease their boss than try and have a productive workplace, moral is normally very low
Red deer shop very unorganized poor communication run down equipment
Hydrovac Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 August 2017
I've worked for badger in other locations and they were excellent to work for... red deer badger is the worst experience ever....the dispatcher for red deer would only book you one job that maybe last three hours and that's it if he would book us up more to take care of the customer sooner maybe they would be more busy also he never answers his phone I can only imagine how many clients we have lost because of this ...no wonder why badger red deer is doing so poorly ......also the maintenance on the units are almost never taken care of unless you.do it your self at minium wage don't get me wrong I love badger and working for them just not red deer.....and until management changes this it will continue to fail...i don't see anyone working there for very long I mean half the badger shop is dedicated to his own personal vehicle repair ....very unprofessional!
You would think management would realize there is a problem and maybe it's not the operators!!!
Pros
Lots of time off short shifts
Cons
Broken trucks...poor communication.....high turn over
ok place to work depends who you work for
Hydra Vac operator/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC16 July 2017
Over all thought that would be the last place i worked thought i had room for advancement which i was more than qualified for but over looked.Then i had been injured so goes the rest of my life.
Horrible place to work!! Trust me stay away!
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON11 July 2017
Everything that constitutes wrong and politically incorrect is happening here. Upper management lie over and over again to employees and customers. There are so many grievances in at the moment with this company as well as Administrative staff who were wrongfully dismissed are suing. if you have shares in this company cash them in. This company is going down and as far as I am concerned all upper management deserves to get fired!! Horrible people I honestly can not stress enough how poisonous this place is. Glad I am gone!
Pros
non

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Badger Daylighting Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.