Badger Daylighting Inc. Employee Reviews

badger
Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 December 2018
I worked from no experience on a hydro-vac to eventually become a operator at badger daylighting. This company has very competitive rates and nice equipment to run, the best trucks in the industry in my opinion.
Pros
free donuts
Cons
work in the rain
overall a decent company.
Foreman/Supervisor Submissions, repair tech. (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON20 September 2018
I've worked with Badger for 5 Years. Overall it has worked out well for me. The experience I've gained is exemplary. The people I've worked with were all good and decent people who try their best to keep the train on the rails. Management is stretched thin, overworked, underpaid, and unappreciated. corporate atmosphere makes it difficult and time consuming for them to justify any expenditure, including supplies, equipment and maintenance items. Most employees (field staff) consider the environment toxic and have one foot out the door. Very strict post incident drug testing that has ended up terminating a lot of valuable employees who smoke pot in their personal time, making others hide incidents and broken equipment. Union battle currently is ugly and guys think management doesn't care, but they do. again underappreciated. upper management has been known to come in and fire everyone leaving whoever is left fearful and uncertain of their future. its been getting better. only reason I've left is to pursue a better opportunity at a different company.
Pros
good people. lots of work.
Cons
long hours. lack of job security.
Excellent Company Overall
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 September 2018
Badger Daylighting is an amazing company with amazing people.
My short time there was wonderful. So many ladies working together, like a big family. I enjoyed helping callers; helping coworkers; conversing and laughing with everyone.
Management was great! Couldn't ask for better. So understanding and were always there if I needed to talk or to lend an ear if I just needed to vent.
I don't recall anything at Badger being difficult. It was like having a second family. If I had stayed in the City I would have remained there but life took me away to another place.
I still go back and visit and speak with employees there. I would recommend Badger Daylighting to all.
Pros
Great Management & atmosphere; looked forward to going to work
$15/hr while training.
Hydrovac Operator (Current Employee) –  Garyray Drive25 August 2018
There are very different rates you get when training and dumping whatever you have in the tank.
There is alot left to desire, as it pertains to communication & the treating of employees good.
Pros
Cons
Unfair pay rates.
I was enthused at first, but after some time, was tired of the games
Hydrovac Operator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 June 2018
Management holds you back. They have their favorites, and they are the employees who get the better paying jobs and regular hours. The rest of us stay home. Management is obviously cutting corners, but unfortunately at the expense of employees. Employee morale is down, makes for a polluted work environment. Rate per hour is ok, but you get hit with travel time and then that brings your overall hourly pay way down. Supervisors were great, Manager plays too many games and surely will get caught soon. One positive note, all the training that Badger provides is like a gold star on your resume. So if nothing else, use it for the training and then go and get a better paying job, where you are appreciated as a hardworking and honest employee.
Pros
excellent training and certification
Cons
lack of hours, no promotions, always fighting for proper wages/rates of pay etc.
Loved the job itself. Was awesome to find my line or digging a cellar with steps. Sense of accomplishment and pride.
Operator Assistant/Swamper (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB16 June 2018
I worked with Badger in Cold Lake for 6 months and the management there wasn’t nice. Spent my first AB winter as a Swamper in -40 and I done an awesome job for them. I worked hard in freezing temps , digging through ice, climbing on top of the truck to water up and the customer was always happy. No raise after 3 months, 4,5 or 6 and no evaluation done. There’s no incentives there at all. I mentioned to management and she said “we will have to talk about it”. She was resentful because on site I wouldn’t share a hotel room with a guy to save her $ even though customer pays for our rooms And no she wasn’t kidding when she asked me why I didn’t check out of hotel room and buddy up with the operator. Two beds in hotel room she said so it’s ok. I was costing her money she said. I was disgusted and felt disrespected as a woman. I wouldn’t share room with a guy and since then I was treated unfairly. She was about the almighty dollar going in her pocket and everyone else didn’t matter. I was very happy to leave that environment but sad because I loved digging and playing in the mud. It’s also sad to know that some managers still don’t respect woman working in this industry but don’t let that stop you from doing what you want to do. I didn’t. Just work hard and stay safe and you will come up on top.
Pros
Doing something different almost every day
Cons
Treated you with no respect and no raise after probation period
overall ok to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2018
Overall a good company to work for
Going through growing pains, without lack of clear direction for employees below management.
Upper Management heavy
Pros
work life balance
Cons
lack of clear direction
Sub par overall
Operator (Former Employee) –  Alberta24 May 2018
Inconsistent at best, hours are hit and miss
Certainly not a place to plan any kind of life around
Ok for someone who is newer to the oilfield and doesnt really need a schedule to accomodate their life
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Lack of communication
Gross dont waste your time
Hydrovac Operator (Former Employee) –  London, ON27 April 2018
One word gross dont waste your time. Look elsware every other hydrovac company pays 10 bucks more an hour. Sad place primise you the world then nothing in the end
Swamper/New Employee
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB11 February 2018
The job started out good, but the driver’s did not like to train the new guys. The Training was minimal. The wages are low (for AB oilfield $22 an hour is LOW!!). Getting soaked with water, covered in mud, on a freezing cold day, is a typical day with Badger. Decent job for someone coming out of High School, but certainly not a position you want if you’re 30+ years old. I spent 90 days as a swamper and went back to my Journeyman Scaffolder Job instead. Good luck!
Pros
Warm truck, long days, local work
Cons
Low wages, toxic work environment
wide range of work near and far from home
Hydrovac Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2018
Good working environment, however management lack proper social skills with employees and feels every employee is expendable and not valued the way good employees should be. Despite typical slow down times, you will still make more than most other hydrovac companies due to the shear fact badger can and will get work no matter the cost. They always get and find work for their employees.
good company with terrible management
opeator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2017
manager is really cheap , cant believe start operator as 26/hr, management will save anything, they used dis wash soup for wash trucks, people are good when you working with
Pros
good worker
Cons
terrible management
Fun and good work
Hydrovac Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON29 October 2017
Digging hole using a hydrovac for me was a fun job. My partner and I got along and worked well with each other. Most days I would be doing something a bit different depending on what Job site I was on so that kept the job fresh.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Early start to the day
High Stress
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC24 October 2017
Not a pleasant work place. Long hours and not many nice people to work with. No loyalty and didn't matter how hard you worked. No rewards and no re-assurance. The new Area manager was not a very understanding people person. Only interested in the bottom line.
Pros
good wage
Cons
bad work environment
great work environment
Seinor Swamper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2017
really great place to work as long as you like long hours year round then this is the place for you. The owners are really awesome people that never hesitated to help their employees again just couldn't ask for a better boss
Pros
long hrs awesome owners
Competitive wage, lots of hours and fun team
Operator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 September 2017
New manager has turned things around and is an interesting place to work. Different everyday and twice as busy as last year. Best Hydro Vac in Vancouver. Woot woot.
Pros
Team building events, management listens, lots of work
Cons
Outdoors in rain
Promise lots deliver little.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 September 2017
Worked 3 months at burlington location. Never reached 40 hrs. in 1 week. Management plays employees against each other for overtime and top paying work (pipeline,hydro...).Union has many letters of agreement to avoid following contract. Lots of Cowboys work here. Take advantage of training then look for full-time job elsewhere .
Pros
see below
Cons
see below
Warning...Terrible place to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2017
Huge turnover rate.Complete gong show. Managment refers to there people as "pilons" and treats them like garbage.The manager is well known and hated in the hydro- vac industry.
Pros
You get treated like garbage
Cons
You get treated like garbage
Great bunch of guys to work with.
Hydrovac Swamper (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 September 2017
Great hard working guy to work with. A lot of out a town work, and long hours. Great work inviroment and positive atmosphere. The best part of the job would be doing something different every other day, the worst part is being away from family for long periods of time.
Cheap
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 September 2017
Badger in general are cheap. The managers only care about their pockets. All the managers like to micromanage and save every buck they can. They talk a good game but can't fulfill the commitments. Badger has poor morale.
They do have great benefits and an RSP plan. But that's all they have. VERY high turnaround of staff.
Pros
benefits and RSP plan
Cons
managers are cheap and will do anything to cut the persons throat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Badger Daylighting Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.