BAE Systems Applied Intelligence Employee Reviews

Horrible.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 April 2019
Spent to much time on the bench looking for projects than actually working. Management was unhelpful at finding me work. I learned a lot of new skills.
Good learning experience
SECURITY CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 March 2019
Enjoyed my time at BAE with good learning experience. However there is no transparency from the management. Got a good project to work on. The workculture is not very impressive and I guess it comes with being a consultant. You are not in touch with your peers on a regular basis because of which you do not get the sense of belonging to the company.
Going through changes
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 March 2019
Enjoyable work place with friendly colleagues and a good balance. Lots of changes of management when I was there, which didn't impact the day to day of work, but did confuse some projects
Incompetent
Vice President, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  New York, NY6 November 2018
This company is a conglomerate of numerous acquisitions, none which seem to have ever integrated, but this division is just a rounding number for the larger company (and seems to be treated as such).
Pros
Exciting technologies and great employees
Cons
Leadership completely out of touch
fun
Two Day Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Great Baddow19 October 2018
fun place to work, Nice people and good pay. Overall just a good experience. Only two days of work experience but looked like a friendly group of people to work with on a permanent basis.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Travel
Overly bureaucratic. Slow to change. They don't listen to engineers.
SYSTEM INTEGRATIONS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Guildford, England, UK19 October 2018
Top down run companies are usually quite bad when they get this big. That's not BAE's fault though the fault of a top down run structure as opposed to a horizontal or bottom-up run structure.

They don't listen to their engineers advice. By using cost cutting measures and by not finishing jobs properly it led our engineering dept to quickly switch from a solution creating dept to a fire department. We were non-stop fixing our previous mistakes, even then we couldn't do the job properly as us engineers wanted it. We were pressured to always do it a cheaply as possible with management micromanaging leading to most of our suggested solutions/fixes being cut.

The worst part of it was that the engineers could do nothing about. We didin't have any say, any power over these decisions. So we done the only thing we can. Quit.
Pros
Good engineers
Cons
everything I said in my review.
Depends which part of the business you are in but overall disappointing
Business Area Manager (Former Employee) –  London, United Kingdom12 October 2018
Underperforming its brand and engineering potential due to lack of strategic insight, unconvincing leaders (below the MD), reduction in meritocracy and a systemic failure to call out and remedy poor performance.
Pros
The engineering skills of individuals and heritage IP
Cons
Management (individuals and process)
Insular work environment
Principal Consultant (Former Employee) –  Guildford6 August 2018
Insular social work environment, but interesting work. Offices in Waterside House, Surrey Research Park, Guildford were pleasant; modern, well lit and with aircon.
Pros
Remuneration was good and and good perks
Cons
Working days long and travel to client sites was necessary for every project
great place friendly environment
learner (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex6 June 2018
loved my work experience at BAE SYSTEMS, learning essential life skills and gaining quality experience of the working world. I would love to do it again!
Pros
learnt essential life skills
Average
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds31 May 2018
Average place to work. Unremarkable in any way shape or form. It's easy to get to I suppose, and they have free kit kats and fruit. Some bosses are ok some are not so.
Interesting business portfolio
Management Consultant Internship (Former Employee) –  UK2 May 2018
Competitive benefits and strong work culture
International opportunities
Broad business portfolio
Good work life balance
Supportive management and career development opportunities
Big Mistake
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Southwark, Greater London2 April 2018
Never actually did the role I applied for (Java Developer). Resourcing will place staff anywhere to fill chargeable roles - even if the role is not even remotely related to the job you applied for and your career goals and aspirations. They will arrange for you to be placed on roles without you knowing until the last minute.

The progression system is pathetic. You have to apply for promotion when the review round comes. Your performance is based on project line managers who you may have never met and a career mentor who has never worked with you. Your performance rating is then moderated by senior management who also have never met you let alone see your involvement and contributions on projects. Colleagues have been rejected promotions due to their being too many people in the next grade up, which is completely irrelevant to a employees' performances and unfair to those who deserve promotions.

The work environment is not the best. The company uses hot desks, where some of the equipment (keyboards, mice, etc) are worn and filthy. Have to bring antibacterial wipes to clean the equipment before use.

Management varies, but most of management staff are awful. Project managers are often paid the most and contribute least to project and have no technical ability to make sensible/reasonable decisions, hence the mass redundancies last year. However this does not solve an overarching hierarchy problem within the company.

My colleagues and I have provided feedback on several occasions, only to find that it does not appear to progress anywhere and the company are either
  more... oblivious or deliberately ignorant.  less
Cons
Forced onto roles, no progression, poor management
tell you later now just let me go
tell you later (Former Employee) –  tell you later14 January 2018
1. Highly motivated, efficient and determined to continue learning valuable skills
2. Self Starter, Responsibility,Honesty,Self-motivated and Hard working describe my work ethic.
3. Strong communication both written and verbal and strong interpersonal skills.
4. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Pros
asas
Cons
asas
Brilliant coworkers
Strategic Operations Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, CO12 January 2018
I've never had the good fortune to work with as many brilliant and skilled people before coming to BAE (formerly SilverSky). The camaraderie of this group is the best part of working here.
Easy going and friendly work place
Deployment Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh-Durham, NC2 January 2018
Laid back relaxed environment with standard cubicle office set up. Management typically had a good idea of what was going on, with the exception of when the company decided to go through layoffs. The pay for the position was a little on the low side, however I personally learned a lot from my position and the pay was equal to my knowledge base when I started with the company.
Pros
Free breakfast items (fruits mostly), free soda machine, great benefits
Cons
Low pay, Clueless management pertaining to lay offs
I prefer not to comment
VP - Financial Crime/ Cyber Defence (Former Employee) –  New York, NY28 November 2017
Typical day at work ensuring included ensuring the global team, prospects and clients received superior attention and that our value and goals aligned with the corporate values and goals. Also global cooperation amongst all verticals laterally and horizontally. I learned what I want in a company and career and what I do not want. I learned the need to integrate culture properly and the extreme need for proper communication top down. The management structure was very poorly defined and through acquisition created numerous issues due to the lack of skillful planning as well as the wrong people at times in the Executive and Board. leadership. The hardest part of the job was making sure the Executive Team who most had never worked in parts of the industry we served understood why we needed to focus on the correct things and not boil the ocean in order to scale. The result of such actions impacted other financial areas while maintaining key leadership roles in others. The most enjoyable part of my job was the collaboration globally to get things done in a timely, professional manner, public speaking, governmental engagements and cross collaboration amongst venders as well as channel partner management.
Pros
Remote Employment, Salary commenserate to my industry experience
Cons
I prefer not to comment
Ongoing company restructuring hitting productivity and ineffective go to market strategy
Delivery Management, Americas (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA21 November 2017
A company with a huge amount of potential to dominate in the markets it chooses to. Poor execution across the business of a strong company strategy which has led to decreased morale, reduced productivity, and the weight of success falling on a small number of highly committed individuals.
The organization structure being put in place for 2018 will put the company on a much more positive track, and despite the difficulties over the past couple of years, at it's core this is a good company to work in with lots of opportunities.
Pros
Flexible working, free drinks, fruit, generous paid US vacation allowance, health coverage, 401k match
Cons
Staff morale, no bonus payouts last few years
A relaxing fun place to work
Sports and Leisure Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanmore, Greater London14 November 2017
This was by far one of my favorite jobs.
Dealing on a day to day basis with on site staff.
Total running of the sports club.
Event days for past veterans was a high light for me.
Pros
Cons
Non
Arbejdsplads i forandring
Site Operations assistent (Former Employee) –  Nørresundby, Aalborg kommune31 October 2017
Firmaet lukker deres danske afdeling, så det er svært at skrive en retgivende anmeldelse.
Productive and Fun Place with a Ping Pong table
Solutions Consultant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VA10 October 2017
A great learning experience
Very Supportive boss
Management seems to change direction quickly
Colleagues are very helpful
Most Enjoyable part: Flexible hours and remote working
Great products and solutions for customers
Pros
Free fruit and beverages
Cons
beltway traffic

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Our community is ready to answer.