AYR MOTOR EXPRESS Employee Reviews

Casual work
AZ driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 August 2019
Highway and city runs for Brampton branch it was a pleasure working there if it wasn't for the distance travel from home to work due to lack of mobility. also a part-time positions wasn't an option
Pros
Dedicated
Cons
Mannerism
Best company to work for! Love my job!
Operations (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB24 June 2019
AYR Motor is the best place to work if you want lots of miles, dispatch who respects you, and quality equipment to drive. The office staff are very friendly and are always checking in with you to see if you need anything at all.
Pros
Lots of Miles
Unsafe dangerous workplace
City Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 May 2019
I can only speak about Winnipeg terminal. Upon hiring I was promised incremental raises. That never occurred.

Addressed this with management, and it was ignored.

Schedule promised never materialized.

The schedule involved calling in daily at 1400 to see if you were working that evening.

Hours were erratic and the pay below industry standards.

Daily hours could vary between 3-14h

The units we operated were extremely filthy, drivers had to beg for basic things, such as getting tires replaced brakes fixed etc.

This place in my opinion is not a safe work environment.

I have never received safety fuel bonuses, no Christmas bonus at all.

Management used your vacation as sick days.

Health Benefits were offered but they were plagued with deductibles and offered virtually nothing of value.

Mobility within the company is non existent. This is a family run business.

No safety equipment uniform was provided, no boot allowance zero, nothing.

You were required to use your personal phone for company business, no compensation was offered.

Support staff in Winnipeg tries to help, usually they are overruled by management or the main office. It is a toxic work environment.

I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
usually, no touch freight/
Cons
unsafe work environment/low pay/management
Great people to work with
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB18 September 2017
Amazing job always fun and excite lots of work available. Recommend to anyone and everyone .. great community of people really enjoyed my time here.
Travelled lots
Okay
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 November 2016
This job is good but can be better,
There can be improvements across the board
Some improvements within operations
A better workplace atmosphere is in need of improvements!!
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Mis-management
Fast paced company with plenty of work.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB21 October 2016
Ayr Motor is a good company for drivers looking to work hard with very well maintained equipment. Ayr Motor offers a competitive pay package including bonuses. Regular home time can be easily scheduled.
Secure and Growing Place to be
Driver Services (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB26 September 2016
I have been with the company for more than 10 years. In that time, I have remained in the same position but it has evolved and changed with the needs of the company. I have seen the company grow and the fleet double in size. The management is hands on and are not afraid to help up with anything. I have been able balance a busy personal life and work life. I did leave for a short time mostly for personal reasons but was welcome back and made to feel right at home. This is where I am supposed to be. It is a great company to work for and is very established in the business. Things are run like no other company and it works.
Pros
No shortage of work and comfortable atmosphere
24 June 2019

The growth here has certainly been amazing and it has taken some great people to make that happen.
Sometimes the grass can look greener on the other side but when a good employee looks to return, we know their value, and gladly have them back.

Good long-haul company
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB24 June 2016
Very good trucking, Long-Haul company to work for as they will always keep you busy, with very little waiting time between loads.
Pros
Keep you running
Cons
Will run you hard if you let them.
24 June 2019

Glad to see our business model works for you! We aim to keep the drivers rolling by hauling truckload only and by appointment.
Drivers need to make sure Driver Planning and Operations know the schedule you want or when you just need a break.

Great People! Great Company!
Adminstration (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB22 June 2016
It's refreshing to work for a company not caught up in too much red tape. Everyone here works very hard, gives 100%, and are direct with what needs to be done.
Hard work is recognized and valued. The owners raise the bar on expectations, those who strive to reach it are the ones who continue to be successful here.
This company is growing and gaining more momentum in the industry.
AYR is not just a great carrier but also a great employer. They look after their employees and treat them like family. But like all family they will call you on the B.S. and hold you accountable for your actions, good or bad.
The people here are dedicated and are great role models for those coming in next. The work ethic is incomparable to other companies I have worked for.
I am proud to be part of the AYR Motor team.
Pros
wages and Job security
20+ years and still here
Driver (Current Employee) –  Woodstock NB24 April 2016
If you are willing and capable of staying out a minimum of 3 weeks AND stay out of trouble you will love it. Long runs. Just about all of North America. Top pay for Atlantic Canada. Well maintained equipment. All the miles you can legally log every week. Direct deposit every week. Even though we run hard all you have to do to maintain a legal comic book is let dispatch know before you accept a load of any time restraints. You will never have problems with management provided you do your job and take responsibility for the job you do. In fact you can go days without any contact with management. A definite plus.

Now; about the slip seating. When I get home for a few days, other people will drive this truck. When I come back to work I always drive my assigned company truck.
If you are new to AYR you will probably be one of those "other" people until you prove yourself and a truck becomes available. Thats the truth and don't pay attention to the whiners. This industry is full of them.
Pros
Lots of miles and weekly pay.
Cons
Too busy for "work culture"
24 June 2019

Great comment and some honest feedback there. It does take a little time to really get into the swing of things, to be on that schedule you really want. But the wait is worth it.
We are working on our work culture. We have made some changes and bringing in more programs to recognize the people working here. The latest is our On The Spot Recognition Program. This can be the public or coworkers nominating AYR employees for doing good things, going the extra mile and being a positive representative of our brand.

over all not a bad place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB4 December 2015
competitive pay for the industry well maintained new equipment good people to work with hardest part of the job time away from home away from home two to three weeks at a time local work very hours overall good place to work
24 June 2019

If you have any trouble with your home time be sure to talk to Driver Planning. They are there to make sure you get the miles you want and are home when you need to be. We do our best to make sure our Drivers have scheduled home time.

Do not expect to be appreciated
Long Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 December 2015
Imagine a one man one gloomy farmers family company...if you are doing good you are not getting punished today. If you are doing bad, than it is all your fault, even if company shop had spent a whole day to fix your brakes and did not succeed, then you are a bad driver...
Lot's of nothern miles, good chunk of East Coast and pain in the neck short haul...
Pros
Lot's of miles
Cons
The rest
24 June 2019

Over the years we have tried to create programs to help recognize our employees. We have a Safety & Performance Bonus program paying $0.01/mile every quarter; an On The Spot Recognition Program to thank people for doing those extras to help the business; and Million Mile awards for Drivers, Years of Service for Office Staff.
We have new equipment but with the amount of miles our trucks put on, no one can ever guarantee you won't need to wait on a repair. At least it's in our shop where you have access to the lounge, sleeping quarters, wifi & tv, and not on the side of a highway.

Very good to work at
Truck driver (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB26 October 2015
Very good company i havent been driving transport for 5 years gave me a chance and now i do team canada and states very good company to give chances
24 June 2019

Very happy to see a Driver come back to the workforce. We have trainers in place to help inexperienced Drivers get some time behind the wheel or help Drivers get back to driving with extra support.
Running team is a great way to get back into it.
Welcome back!

Good work force
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  NB7 February 2015
I loved working for them but if you got into an accident and it wasn't your fault he would want you to pay for it just like you owned the truck if someone wants you to do this you may as well own one but they don't like for you to own one and at 0.36 cents a mile that is not a lot ( First lesson )
Work was very good never wait for a Load.( Management )
You hardly see your co-workers.
the hardest part of the job is when they don't believe you
Pros
Nothing is free
Cons
the owner doesn't take responsibility
24 June 2019

For clarity, it is important that the reader of this comment understand that we do not ask Company Drivers to pay for the cost of damages to equipment. Accidents are reviewed by our Safety group and deemed preventable or non-preventable. A preventable accident cost will directly impact a Driver's Safety & Performance Bonus and will continue to impact it each quarter until the value is recovered.
Rates change annually, trending with the market and we stay competitive.

Very well organized
Long Haul Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB2 June 2014
I learned in this company all the skills that a long haul truck driver has to know about regulation, time management and route planning.
We had no waiting time - a reload at any time. Closed cooperation with co-workers. The hardest part of the job is the winter time with frozen landing gears and air lines. The most enjoyable part of the job is the job by himself.
Pros
feels like a family
Cons
to less attention on the problems which the driver report to the shop
24 June 2019

We work hard to keep our Drivers rolling. We only haul full truck load, by appointment only. This is no-touch freight and we even have some pin-to-pin. Winter can be brutal for all of us living in the snowy climate but that's when a Driver can really appreciate that load to Texas in January!

AYR Motor Driver
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, NB25 March 2013
I was hurt on the job and I am doing this replacement through work safe.
I was injured at AYR Motor
24 June 2019

Sorry to hear you were injured at work. Although this would not be to forum for discussing such matters, I hope you have spoke with the Safety team and that our Driver Planning department has worked to get you back in a timely fashion.

Very productive place
Driver of the truck and trailer (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, NB3 January 2013
I got good experience in US & Canada. Made a lot of miles. Meet very good people.
24 June 2019

Glad to know our business model worked for you. We work hard to get people the miles they want, a safe work environment, and scheduled home time.

same old, same old
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 December 2012
- pick up and deliver freight
- go, go, go attitute
- slip seating was intolerable
- no real enjoyment found there
Pros
lots of work
Cons
too much work sometimes, slip seating, breakdowns
24 June 2019

At AYR Motor Express the core of our fleet are assigned to a truck. These would be our long haul drivers, the folks who want to work 10-14 days out at a time. When the assigned driver is home we use a spare driver to continue with moving freight.
We operate legally, audit drivers logs, and have the new equipment on the road. With an 18 bay, state of the art, maintenance facility, trucks have regular maintenance every trip...including tires.
Best of luck on your future endeavors.

poor
long haul driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 July 2012
pushed to excessive hours of service
slip seated in trucks
forced to drive on flat tires
no bridge or EZ pass
Cons
you will lose your licence
24 June 2019

Best of luck on your future endeavors.