Axis Family Resources Employee Reviews

The people we support are awesome. Management is NOT. Save yourself heartache and apply elsewhere-not Kindale, even worse. Axis is for profit.
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC11 November 2018
The people we support are awesome. Management is not. Save yourself heartache and apply to other companies-NOT Kindale either.
Axis is For Profit! Good training to begin with then NONE. Management are not experienced and not trained yet still try and tell you what to do even if you have more experience than the person doing the telling. Also, was bullied into accepting shifts I did not want, Extremely low pay for the extremely high expectations. You also will run your vehicle into the ground with having to drive people around. No ongoing training or development and no room for advancement except to a tiny bit higher pay with tons more hours. Not worth the promotion for the pay of maybe an extra dollar an hour. There are lots of good employers in this field. JUST NOT AXIS.
The employees are wonderful caring people who are being burned by BAD management.
Pros
the people we support. the daily challenges and finding solutions
Cons
little pay versus expectations, running your vehicle into the ground, with no real reimbursement, no work life balance, bad management, unsafe work conditions with extremely aggressive clients, no relief casuals so cannot be sick, benefits are the lowest in this sector, dishonestly with paying for overtime and stats, watch your pay
Hard but beneficial work
Rsw (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 November 2018
I keep reading about Axis being a horrible place to be and that management is bad. I find the exact opposite so I wonder if these people didn’t come forward before they were so angry or overwhelmed. Or if they approached the wrong person or if they just in general will never be happy anywhere. Axis supports many many different people. Not every situation can be “easy” or ideal but I find in this agency that if faced with needing help or feeling not happy with my job if I reach out to coworkers or especially our management team that they have amazing ideas to support us and that they too have and do work front line when needed. Our management isn’t just about money they are about the people. Both staff and clients.
Pros
Support 24 x7 from coworkers - flexibility - making a difference
Felt more valued working for fast food
Youth Residence Worker (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC11 October 2015
Axis is the worst company I have ever worked for, I am not alone in these feelings as every single co worker has expressed the same opinion. There is a reason why Axis is ALWAYS hiring, usually full time even, when every one else in the Okanagan is only looking for casuals.

The worst part of this job isn't the stress from residents we look after (and there is plenty of that), it's the management that would rather find new workers than support their current ones. I really want to include some examples but it would be to recognizable for management.

Don't make the same mistake I did, apply elsewhere.
Pros
Easy full time
Cons
24 hour shifts only, lack of support from management, no raises or promotions
Horrible
Residential Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 November 2015
Don't expect to have a life as you are with your client for 24 hrs. Terrible management. Lots of workers injured by clients as they are very aggressive and out of control. Management could care less about your injuries or supporting you. Getting a shift covered was near impossible. The clients that are verbal are lying and manipulative and do their best to get you fired or disciplined by management.
Pros
Outings with the kids
Cons
I very much enjoyed working for Axis. They were eager to match me with a client who was well-suited to my abilities.
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 March 2018
Was totally responsible for client care 24 hours a day for up to 4 days at a time. Did everything for the client, cooked meals, did laundry, all aspects of personal care, housework, community outings and taking to school or helping client to catch the bus.
Pros
Free meals.
Cons
Away from home for up to 4 days at a time, sometimes didn't get much sleep.
hard work but important
Residence Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 November 2017
This is a very difficult job with little pay. You work 24 hour shifts for 3-4 days living with the youth or vulnerable adult.
It is a very important job as most of the clients have nowhere else to go and if not for these companies and workers these youth would be living in the streets.
You go home feeling like you haven't done much but just being there can save a life.
Pros
free room and board
Recently worked for Axis- Bad experience
Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 July 2017
The main problem with this company comes from a lack of competence from key management staff about the relevant issues that relate to each program, be this a secure setting or residential. The emphasis is clearly on cost cutting and business cost rather than client care, which is a worry for anyone who is knowledgable about the issues the client group they care for is faced with i.e. addiction, abuse and medications.
Pros
Bottom level staff are a hardy bunch and do a great job under a mis-managed organisational structure
Cons
client safety potentially compromised through lack of knowledge and cost cutting
this company has a high turn over based on my opinion by its bad management. If you are not one of the favourites
Mental health/youth support worker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC28 August 2017
Worker here for a year learnt a lot about what I don't want as an employee...they come off caring and nice until you start asking questions or making suggestions and don't agree with there theory then your shifts get cut and excuses are made why...
Pros
great co workers
Cons
bad management, bullying, vindictive management.
Overall, not a great company to work for..but the pay is usually good.
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  BC24 October 2017
Difficult working environment, made more challenging by the lack of stable employees and management stretched to the limits...lalalalalalalalalallalalalala.
Horrible experience
community support worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 January 2016
Horrid management, no communication, little to no support, just a bad bad experience !!! Surprised they are still in existence to be honest.

Management was not open to hearing feedback, suggestions from those working the front line.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, little pay, poor management, no support
Efficient Hardworking Individual Great People Skills with Clients
CSW I II and III (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC21 July 2014
I start my day early organizing and prioritizing my days schedule go to the easiest clients first to get them start let them know I will be back once I get the hardest clients up for the day wash up clean up toileting dressing and any other small details to make the day go smooth. Had 24L clients a day and got some help from other co workers when needed with assist lifts etc. Have my Class 4 DL and can drive the clients to outings and back love to be busy never leave a task undone.
Pros
Bring Own Lunch
Cons
Some long hours
The company standard of work is professional and staff are treated with great respect
YOUTH CARE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC18 March 2014
A typical day at Axis is calm with staff review of various activities that took place from the previous day. Learning about the youth in care behavior and applying program policies in dealing with ongoing situations. The management is always there to support a staff going through stress. The hardest part of the job, is sustaining injuries while at work from youth.
Always something new
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC6 December 2016
One could go shopping, walking, swimming, do baking/cooking, crafts.
All people have something to contribute to society. Management is very positive and flexible.
Co-workers are very friendly.
The hardest part is not knowing a client well enough to understand their method of communication.
The people are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
No two days are the same
Cons
Hours are not guaranteed so, not sure if the bills will get paid
long boring shifts
Care worker (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 February 2017
The wage is laughable .Shifts are 24 hour days so you are usually there for 72 hours at a time. The work is repetitive and tedious at times.
Pros
good schedule
horrible place to work
1 personal support worker (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC18 February 2014
This place was hard to work at, lack of good management and supervisor skills, poor pay, hard time balancing home life and work.
hard to move ahead in the company due to control freaks.
lack of empathy and compassion
Pros
gaurantee hours
Cons
poor pay, poor managment, hard to work 24 hour shift
A feel good job with lots of love. Job you do for others.
Residential Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 September 2014
I really liked the clients I worked with. They were awsome kids. I did not like the management so much. We were given little support with programs and the kids. Stress caused issue with me and no backing from the company.
Clients are great!
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC6 January 2017
Work with all clients is very rewarding. Every day is a different day so you must be flexible. So many layers of managers yet so little managing being done.
Pros
clients
Cons
middle management is very poor
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 September 2012
You need to be able to handle long hours and handle stress well.
Pros
good support system
Terrible employer.
counselor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC20 January 2016
Interviewed with Axis....what a joke, almost had a creepy religious feel to the intereview. Regular live in position on 24hr call pays four dollars an hour if you divide work by shifts. Less than five dollars an hour
Cons
Money grubbing management team.
Okay agency to work for.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC12 February 2015
Busy, and I learnt a lot about myself. I was in management and it was a busy position, with a lot of communication involved, from telephone conversations to email to meetings.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Axis Family Resources. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8