Avison Young

Avison Young Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work With Lots of Opportunities
Working at AY Vancouver was one of the best working experiences I've had. The team was fun but hard working and I was given plenty of opportunity to advance my career as well as take additional training to further my skills. Many of the people I worked with there (years ago) are still there and have moved up into senior roles.
Truly Entrepreneurial
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Canada14 November 2019
Commercial real estate brokerage is still mostly a meritocracy whereby your success is a function of your hard work and talent. Avison Young has a "no a**hole rule" for hiring and as a result most of the typical egos and attitudes associated with brokerage are not present. The company is going in the right direction and is always looking to improve and be more inclusive.
Little room for advancement
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS11 October 2019
Overall not a place I would recommend to work at. Little to no pay increase over several years. Hard work doesn't matter to the owners of the company, they just want cheap labour. The staff are the only good thing about this job, really genuine people.
Pros
Free lunch every few weeks
Cons
On call, Work holidays instead of extra pay they offer a day off. No pension.
An ok stepping stone
Client Services and Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 October 2019
Avison Young is a good way to breakout into the professional world. They're hard on newer staff, which is good to establish expectations. However, I found the dynamic between the sales agents and supportive research and administrative staff to be, for a lack of a better word, prohibitive to growth and confidence. This is dependent on who you directly work for, but as a women surrounded by predominately male sales-agent, I felt uncomfortable most days and belittled.
Fun but no leadership
Marketing & Business Development (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 September 2019
They're nice people but they don't communicate well or manage employees well. Salary is low and there are no benefits. Friendly atmosphere and good people.
New company, new title, same duties, but...
Building Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2019
I am happy with the work that I perform and take pride in the work that I do. I am very happy with the independence of the position.
That being said, I would like to address the poor communication and results I have received dealing with Avison Young HR department. For the past 10 months I have tried to gain access and confirmation of the benefits I was promised when I accepted their Offer of Employment. This matter has yet to be resolved to my satisfaction.
Okay place to gain expereince and then move on
Broker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2019
Back stabbing and ill-manured employees who will go at any lengths to jeopardize you if you don't click with them or don't part take in their gossip. I've seen throughout my time there a handful of good employees who were unfairly dismissed.

Most of the buildings they oversee are the ones major real estate players pass on. They are terribly maintained and constantly have HVAC and structural issues.

It might be different for other locations but Calgary is a cesspool. You can have new hires doing the same job as you getting paid more than you who have been there longer with the same qualifications.

Not a good place longterm.
Pros
Above average salary
Cons
Work life balance, Management, office politics.
We are all friendly and learning
Intern (Current Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC20 June 2019
When I go to work the people are in a good mood. It is sometimes funny while we work. I had the luck to witness new real estate development projects and deals. I have met wise real estate developers and learned from them. I do learn alot as an intern for the company
Pros
meeting rooms, coffee, events(cocktail and else)
Client Care Coordinator
Client Services Coordinator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Young, SK11 June 2019
Great learning opportunity, workplace politics and negative environment for a young woman of POC.

Put your head down if you want to succeed in this organization.
Small Management team/ minimum supervision
Security Site Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2019
Allows you to work independently will minimal supervision. No micro management at my site. The Management team at this site is small but is very productive.
Bad Day, Good for Future for Pay
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
You can make good money here if you make it. However, be ready to grind, be publicly berated and work 10 hours unpaid overtime on a daily basis until you make Broker. You will also most likely be fired before that.
Fun place to work
Executive Assistant, Licensed (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2018
Learned the most here, started as an assistant and ended doing my own deals as well as supporting three of the senior partners daily in their sale and leasing deals.
Great culture and Management
Valuation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON15 October 2018
Avison Young is a great place to work. I really liked the culture and environment in the Toronto office. The annual general meeting was very fun. They have great management and give you the tools to succeed.
Great company
Serior Property Manager - Commercial (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON21 August 2018
Was very proficient in completing me duties and making sure that my job was done with the utmost professional attitude. Valued my time at this company and further added to my experience.
Great corporate culture, from the top executives to the local offices
Social Media & Business development management (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 July 2018
Wonderful people centric organization. Great opportunities for those dedicated individuals willing and committed to put in the work. Full support of management in all areas of job production.
Great People
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2018
Really great organisation with very good people that always conduct business with courtesy and professionalism, Incredible growth over the past ten years.
Property manager responsible for third party management.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2018
Responsible for all day to day operations, etc. for third party owners including budgeting, rental collections, project management, etc. Portfolio included commercial, medical, industrial properties with various owners.
Pros
Good "on the job" experience.
Cons
Too many "bosses"
Self-Motivated, Hard-working Environment
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary4 September 2017
Great place to learn about the business to help set yourself up to succeed. Commercial Real Estate brokerage is great for people who are self-motivated to run their own book of clients and create their own success.
Pros
High Income Potential
Cons
Long Hours
Awful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 May 2017
No direction given. No help within the workplace. Terrible management. Very shady. I would not recommend working here, they are ruthless and unless you know what you are doing, you will get nowhere...its a dog eat dog world there.
Enjoyable work environment with great collegues
Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2017
Enjoyed coming to work and learned about the commercial real estate industry during my time at Avison Young. Created lasting friendships and relationships in hopes to continue doing business together in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avison Young. Our community is ready to answer.