Avenza Systems Inc.

Avenza Systems Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada6 reviews

Micromanaging ownership made this a difficult job

The job of the System Administrator is a good one as they are happy to have help. They need more people that they're willing to hire. The opportunities to learn more skills is good. Overall, this was a fun place to work.

Official response from Avenza Systems Inc.

31 March 2021
We are actively seeking to fill a number of positions within the company as our amazing growth continues. The comment "They need more people that (sic) they're willing to hire." is just not true at all. We need all kinds of developers and managers and we need them now. There is no lack of willingness nor desire to hire at all. There are indeed opportunities to learn and this is a fun and exciting place to work so check out our job listings, apply, and come join us.

Great work environment

I worked at Avenza for a number of years in the past and could not say a bad word about this company. In fact had I not moved out of the city I’m sure I would still be working there. The staff & management was wonderful and the owner was very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to teach you. I learned so much while employed with Avenza that I carry onto my career today. If you are willing to work as you should be with any employment you will fit right in and enjoy coming to work. I came across a couple reviews on Avenza and felt compelled to write this review as till this day I think of Avenza as one of my favourite places to have been employed with. In closing Avenza Systems is a wonderful place to work with great opportunities to grow with the company.

Excellent place to work

I have been with this company for several years and I love it here. I felt compelled to post this review because I have seen what some others have said and not only do I strongly disagree but I also feel that I have to step in to defend this company that has been so good to me for all these years, against these unfair and unfounded complaints. This is a small-ish but rapidly growing company with so much going on that management has to demand and expect a certain level of performance excellence from all its staff. I am surrounded every day by a top-notch team of co-workers who continually set the bar higher and higher and from whom I am constantly learning. If some people can't cut it here then they probably don't have what it takes. Avenza is a team rather than a collection of individuals and any weak or underperforming element brings us all down.The work hours are very civilized for a software company. I have never been asked to work long hours or weekends. I have never been micro-managed or admonished in any way by any teammate or leadership person.And, during these terrible times of COVID-19 we have continued to operate, grow and thrive as if there was no pandemic at all. That in itself should prove how excellent this place is.So please, take whatever you read with a grain of salt and recognize that negative reviews like some in this list are posted by disgruntled individuals who seek revenge and an outlet for their frustrations but are usually one-sided and without real foundation.

Pros

Great and exciting products, amazing customers, supportive and very smart team-mates, positive and comfortable work environment

Cons

None to speak of

Tremendous customers and cool tech

This company has some very cool technology products and a very impressive list of customers across the world. The company continues to see real growth every year, even under COVID.

Pros

Great midtown location near subway, onsite BBQ, parking, busy and exciting place

Ownership makes this place incredibly toxic

Staff are good and fun to work with. Ownership is extremely toxic and condescending. Likely to terminate your employment if you don't submit to their constant micromanaging and harassment.

Official response from Avenza Systems Inc.

26 March 2021
This a partisan and biased comment without any context whatsoever. It fails to reference any contribution this anonymous person may have had to their experience such as failure to perform or any potential inadequacies they may have exhibited. Avenza is a vibrant, growing and very active company that demands a certain level of excellence and performance from all its employees. If this person failed to live up to those expectations then they may have misinterpreted any coaching and suggestive methods for improvement that may have been offered. But any suggestions of toxicity or similar are highly unfounded and extremely unfair. Avenza has many employees who have been with the company for 15 or more years including a number of current members of the sales team. Overall retention is very high and we continue to add people every month. If you are reading this and have what it takes to contribute to an exciting and growing company with innovative products and a AAA set of customers please take this unfair and disparaging comment in proper context and give us a chance. Thank you.

Na

Midtown office location Conveniently location near public transit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avenza Systems Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement