Avenir Senior Living

Avenir Senior Living Employee Reviews

The place is nice and clean because it is new, but the set up inside is not very resident friendly. This place specialized dementia and complex care. but the rooms are all carpeted, no ceiling lifts, most bathrooms are tiny, their tubs are not designed for these types of residents and a whole lot of other things. Management is for profit and for profit alone. They don't take care about their staff. It is like pulling teeth if staff requests, complain, etc over something. . They don't listen to staff, Most managers like to intimidate and bully. A very expensive place but so cheap, and extremely limited in supplies. No peri wipes, towels and other stuff on the weekends, It is ridiculous. We have to hunt for supplies on every floor, rooms, everywhere sometimes which is a very big no no .Very high turn over of LPNs and HCAs because lots of employees are frustrated and stressed out. If you are a new HCA or LPN. this could a be a good starter so you can have experiences working in a very stressful, and frustrating place. For those who have years experience, maybe look somewhere else.
Official response from Avenir Senior Living
26 November 2019
To HCA – Former Employee, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about our Nanaimo community. I would like to ask for the opportunity to speak to you directly so that I can better understand some of what you have shared. If you could kindly reach out to me at jasong@avenirseniorliving.com or call me on my direct line at 480-451-8200 ext:2103. I hope to hear from you soon.Sincerely,Jason Gurash Vice President of Operations and Marketing.
This would be a good start if you are a new grad, but if you have been a care aide in the industry for many years I would not recommend this place. There are no ceiling lifts in the rooms, the rooms have carpet which makes it hard to push the lifts around the room, and you barely have enough supplies to properly provide for the residents. Not to mention it's next to impossible to actually get vacation time off, and if you do happen to get approved for vacation you're made to feel guilty for taking the time off. The management team is notorious for belittling there staff and only getting staff "who go above and beyond" a Christmas gift card for Christmas
Official response from Avenir Senior Living
28 October 2020
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about our Nanaimo community. I would like to ask for the opportunity to speak to you directly so that I can better understand some of what you have shared.If you could kindly reach out to me at jasong@avenirseniorliving.com or call me on my direct line at 480-451-8200 ext:2103.I hope to hear from you soon.Sincerely,Jason GurashVice President of Operations and Marketing
During my time at Avenir, the staff, especially the HCAs where unprofessional and not trained properly to deal with dementia clients. The floors where constantly understaffed, both LPNs and HCAs, leaving the clients in their soiled briefs for long periods of time, causing skin problems and constant UTIs. The rooms are not client friendly, especially for the clients that needed lifts, the bathrooms are too small and the showers are slipping hazards. The HCAs don’t follow safety precautions, for example they don’t gown up while in isolation rooms, the best that they will do is glove up.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Understaffed, Underpaid, Unprofessional
I have been a casual at Avenir for aprox 6 months now. I love it there the staff work as a team and are always going the extra mile when short. The seniors are great. I feel a sense of belonging and the pay is incredible. Management is always helpful and informative. Two 15 min breaks and a half hour lunch makes for a smooth day without feeling overworked. My only con is that there’s just not enough hours for me. I’d love to be full time!
I really enjoy working in this long term care community - they have a unique approach to care and encourage employees to join the residents at meal times to eat with them and interact on a social level as well. The workload is very manageable and support from management is strong. Very competitive wages, shift differential and great benefits.
In my opinion, Avenir Memory Care at Nanaimo, has been the best place I have ever worked. Management is experienced, and the quality of learning and growth I have received has far out done my expectations from when I first started. Managers have an open door policy, and have stepped out of their usual rolls in the office to help in the building when ever possible. All staff work together cohesively, during every day operations, and also during special events and other important mile stones. The management are honest and up front without being unreasonable in their requests. Days can be fast paced, but I have neve once thought it to be too much, especially when everyone is willing to help you out in small or big tasks. Avenir Memory Care at Nanaimo is a place that I enjoy working. In the past I have dreaded going to work, or even hated my job, but after 2 years I still love coming to work every day, and I couldn't imagine going back to anything less then what Avenir Memory Care at Nanaimo provides me.
Pros
Open door policy, continuious learning, honest and supportive management, teamwork, fullfilling