Avantor Employee Reviews

Unprofessional, Stressful and Hostile Environment
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJ2 April 2019
No training and no guidance at position.
The companies strategy is not clear. The goals are not clear.
Poor management. No respect between employees and management. The processes are not stream lined. Union and and non union employees are very unprofessional and hostile to each other.
Pros
Cons
Vacation time
Used to be a fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York State24 March 2019
I worked for VWR for 20 years before Avantor came along. Due to circumstances unrelated to the takeover, my job title changed and I went from a job where I was helping to correct quality issues for my division and heading down a career path to having that hit the skids and be transferred to another role where I spent much of my time moving pallets around, locating product and unloading trailers. My days grew much longer and became 6-7 day weeks for the same compensation. My manager was almost never available and didn't seem to care about my problems as long as things got done. Stress was at an all-time high and people were frustrated with each other on a daily basis. I am typically not a malcontent as my long tenure will attest, but enough was enough and I finally left.
Pros
Job security. Good memories. Very safety conscious.
Cons
As there is attrition you will only be expected to work harder to cover the vacant role.
Good experience
Senior Chemist (Former Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJ18 March 2019
Morale was often low, but I did enjoy working there most days. The compensation was good, and I received yearly cost of living raises. My coworkers were competent and friendly.
Don’t do it
Picker (Former Employee) –  Buford, GA27 December 2018
This place has horrible management that lets their employees tell them what they are and aren’t going to do. The pay sucks even though it is an extremely easy job. Really it’s quite boring.
Avantor isn’t a horrible place to work, just hours are hard!
Packager (Current Employee) –  Paris, KY19 December 2018
I love my job at avantor, but somethings need to change! We are working 6-7 days a week now because of holidays. We are normally off on sundays, but here lately we’ve been having to work sundays, just to have 1-2 days off for the Holidays. It gets so exhausting when you have to work that many days in a row. I honestly hate the hours on third shift, if it were a normal place that started third shift production on a Sunday it wouldn’t be so bad. We start our work nights on Mondays. So the only day we have off is Sunday.
Pros
Good paying job, great benefits.
Cons
Working 6-7 days a week now.
Toller Arbeitsort.
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Darmstadt4 December 2018
Ich bin als Werkstudentin tätig und kann VWR jedem empfehlen, der sein theoretisches Wissen praktisch umsetzten. Super nette Kollegen und ein tolles Arbeitsumfeld.
Horrible
management (Current Employee) –  Radnor, PA24 November 2018
It's been over a year since the merger and it's still a complete mess. Sr leadership is horrible and all they care about is the money in their pocket. HR doesn't know what they are doing and they can't hire people.

No culture, no one even knows what the values are or what they mean. Stay away, not worth it - they will fail as fast as they formed.
Not a good place
Buyer/Planner II (Current Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJ12 November 2018
Current mgmt has cut jobs to the bare bones and appears to only care about the bottom dollar. The will say that safety is important but there is no follow through.
Pros
The employees
Cons
not enough employees for the work, benefits declining
Poor Managment
Lead (Current Employee) –  Paris12 November 2018
Poor management!!!! Saturdays are MANDATORY. Half the time on Saturdays you have to FIND work to keep you busy. You have only one day off, you have no life with your family. Only thing that keeps me here is pay is decent. CEO needs to look into the Paris daily operations. So miss managed.
Fun and productive place to work
Sample Management Cooridinator (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PA31 October 2018
Lots of room for advancement and there are always areas to relocate to if need be. Management is very helpful and is always looking for ways to help,
Training
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA22 October 2018
Worst training ever. Would want you to learn everything in a week. Some employees dont care. Would mix chemicals that shouldn't be mixed. Very low moral.
Pros
Some co-workers
Cons
More talk than action
Not a good stop
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Claremont, CA18 October 2018
Layoffs are happening employees that been loyal for years are getting let go with no warning.They dont care about their employees. Always having speech about how much millions they are making acting like they are showing transparency but the transparency they are showing is how we are getting used and not appreciated.
Pros
Monday - Friday job
Cons
Management liars, low pay.
Horrible place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Solon, OH10 October 2018
I would not recommend my worst enemy work here. Very stressful, unorganized incompetent management. New system was implemented with input from management who does not know anything about the day to say let alone what is needed in a system to make the company run. Management does not know how to be proactive only reactive.
Hard work in the hot and cold
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Paris, KY9 October 2018
Working in all elements from hot to cold. Repeated work can cause problems. Management didn't know how to pull their head out of their butts. I did however enjoy my job
Pros
overtime
Cons
breaktimes to short
A place of opportunities
Talent Acquisition Manager, Europe (Current Employee) –  Leuven13 August 2018
VWR was recently acquired by Avantor, in 2017. This creates a big wave of change where a lot of people are challenged on the way they are working. This can be scary, but is a great way of remodeling the company!
I understand the people who are negative, but in my experience, I did get many opportunities to bring up and implement new ideas and ways of working contributing to making the company a better place.
So, if you like to take initiative, this is a good place for you!
Pros
Lots of possibilities to do things in a new way, good industry
Cons
ambiguity of the current situation, can be challenging for people used to work 'the old way'
Was een leuk bedrijf om voor te werken
Fin.adm. medewerker (Former Employee) –  Deventer25 July 2018
Na de reorganisatie was er een dusdanige negatieve sfeer. Bedrijf is verhuist naar Polen
Environment Completely Changed When Purchased By Private Equity Firm
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Paris, KY23 July 2018
Avantor was an enjoyble place to work prior to being purchased by the Private Equity Firm. Once purchased their was no employment security and the employees were not respected or engaged in improving operations. The company at one time had a family oriented culture which has been lost.
Cons
Owned By Private Equity Firm
Respectable place to work
Buyer/Planner (Former Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJ14 June 2018
Great co-workers but not a stable company to work for at this time. Leadership is not committed to it's employees. More concerned about profits and acquisitions.
Benefits
Cons
Not Stable
Becoming corporate, no longer value or development employees
Operator (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA25 May 2018
Valuable employees keep leaving because they are no longer challenged. Acquisitions are causing a lot of turnover. Corporate needs to be more transparent and spend time on employee development.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
Pay and advancement
Great Coworkers, Poor Management
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Pennsylvania15 May 2018
Management has definitely gone downhill, as has employee morale. The acquisition of/merger with VWR has created less than ideal situations for many employees, including job loss or job relocation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Avantor. Our community is ready to answer.