autoTRADER.ca Employee Review

View all autoTRADER.ca reviews

Mixed bag
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON21 February 2018
I had a VERY frustrating experience working at Trader due to certain individuals. This will be slightly a rant. First and foremost beware of two faced people working here. You will be thrown under the bus if you question things too much, do things differently, uncover process or work flaws and try to reinvent the wheel too much. There are people who will act very friendly to your face, but behind your back talk very badly about you and make you a scapegoat for existing problems at the company. Very childish and snake like behaviors, bad vibes.

I moved from my previous position thinking trader will give me a better opportunity. I'm mid-career, experienced. I was well established and respected in my previous company. It seemed initially a good move with better pay, but I slowly learned, those that are more senior are protective of each other, as a new comer you can and will be a scapegoat for their own flaws.

Work is heavy and repetitive, you are expected to do more and more, it's understaffed and if you require assistance or information it will be hard to get it without drama or blame.

SOME people are wonderful, great to work with and helpful while others have a certain "one way" of thinking, "no it won't work", "we do it different here", "it's all over the place, we just patch things all the time", "we've always been doing it this way" and the people who initially developed a process who hold all the information are hard to deal with. There is NO documentation and you're just expected to figure it out. If you ask questions you annoy the people you are asking, even if
  more... they hold the information or they will act too busy weeks on weeks. They will put you down expecting you to do things their way even if it doesn't work correctly or there is a better way. If you do something different and they don't understand it, they will think you didn't do anything at all because they don't understand it. You are expected to know everything from people who hold the information; what they've previously done -- OR if you are made the process owner you will get no information on how the original process is constructed, you just have to figure it out, which would be fine if there was some sort of documentation, but nothing is ever documented and poorly put together originally.

This has been an extremely frustrating experience, while in the end being blamed for not getting enough done. The best part about all this? People in question who have worked 10+ years at the company will use you as the perfect scapegoat as a newcomer for their own mistakes.

I've never had to deal with this elsewhere and unfortunately I've had to at this company. I've dealt with all kinds of low to high level projects and gathering information for projects was manageable; when you hit road blocks, you request that specific individual, book meetings or escalate to someone above and they force them to participate. Not here, the person in question does as they please and you take the blame for poor progress. They have a bad day? Too bad, it's your fault. Everything is poorly done, all over the place, patched together and glued together. Senior people when exposed to flaws, will try to hide them and you will be the perfect scapegoat.
Pros
Good pay, relaxed ''feel'' environment, free underground parking
Cons
Sneaky characters, two faced people, AWFUL benefits (they will cut 200+ off your cheque, watch out for LTD)

Other autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews

Dealer Service Representative "Automotive Photographer"
Dealer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2019
This position requires you to drive to different dealerships, which can be in multiple cities/towns. You are compensated with an annual allowance but if your car breaks down then you will not be helped. You will be expected to get a rental and show up to work the next day!

I learned that the management likes to pick favourites and promise a lot of things that will never happen. You can see that they have been always getting changes in management based on other reviews. There is high turnover in this position and for good reason. The pay is small for the amount of work you're expected to do, which includes an expectation of responding to emails after hours.

I would not recommend this position to someone looking for full time work. However this position may work for you if you want part-time hours working no more than 20 hours a week. But beware you will be expected to take on a lot of work when you start. Training will be done by people who most likely just got hired a few weeks before you.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Expected to work around the clock, you are expected to respond to emails after hours, your day can consist of starting at 9 and finish around 11 pm if you have to edit photos.
Impressive money making machine
vAuto Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2019
Visit dealerships or contact via webinar to sell software solution to help with used car operations and vehicle appraisals and pricing. It was an easy sell when the solution was new but with few updates became more challenging
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at autoTRADER.ca. Our community is ready to answer.