autoTRADER.ca Management reviews

Will you drink the kool aid?
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2019
you can bet that almost EVERY 5 star reviews are from top management and human resources in order to boost the overall rating to the point of multiple accounts. The reviews that have NO CONS?? If you buy into that than perhaps you would be an ideal employee.

MOST sales jobs even for top performers are just dead
Pros
Training is really excellent
Cons
Dead end job unless you stick around for 15+ years
Great company
Sr. Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2018
Great company to work for. Collaborative environment. Lots of perks including free snacks and coffee. Free parking. Approachable management. Great benefits.
The company is 5 years behind
Jr Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Casual work environment, management is decent. Pretty saturated sales space, most customers look at autoTRADER with a sense of distrust and dissatisfaction.
AutoTrader is a great place to work
BI Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2018
AutoTrader is a great place to work, the agile management is very efficient and give autonomy to everyone. Management always trying to innovate. Fast paced environment
Beware of NPV Inside department
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Good base salary
Benefits and vacation time
Xbox and game lounge

The NPV is department is in decline
High turnover as new class is hired every Monday to replace terminated Account Manager
Management can't make their own decision and must realy on coworker to deliver the news. They have no real sales experience.

The sales staff started off with 25 reps and reduced to 8 sales rep. My advise don't apply in inside sales department. You will regret your decision. My recommendation is to apply to another company. Don't waste your time working in inside sales department.
Pros
Good entry Level position
Cons
Declining department
Mixed bag
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON21 February 2018
I had a VERY frustrating experience working at Trader due to certain individuals. This will be slightly a rant. First and foremost beware of two faced people working here. You will be thrown under the bus if you question things too much, do things differently, uncover process or work flaws and try to reinvent the wheel too much. There are people who will act very friendly to your face, but behind your back talk very badly about you and make you a scapegoat for existing problems at the company. Very childish and snake like behaviors, bad vibes.

I moved from my previous position thinking trader will give me a better opportunity. I'm mid-career, experienced. I was well established and respected in my previous company. It seemed initially a good move with better pay, but I slowly learned, those that are more senior are protective of each other, as a new comer you can and will be a scapegoat for their own flaws.

Work is heavy and repetitive, you are expected to do more and more, it's understaffed and if you require assistance or information it will be hard to get it without drama or blame.

SOME people are wonderful, great to work with and helpful while others have a certain "one way" of thinking, "no it won't work", "we do it different here", "it's all over the place, we just patch things all the time", "we've always been doing it this way" and the people who initially developed a process who hold all the information are hard to deal with. There is NO documentation and you're just expected to figure it out. If you ask questions you annoy the people you are asking, even if
  more... they hold the information or they will act too busy weeks on weeks. They will put you down expecting you to do things their way even if it doesn't work correctly or there is a better way. If you do something different and they don't understand it, they will think you didn't do anything at all because they don't understand it. You are expected to know everything from people who hold the information; what they've previously done -- OR if you are made the process owner you will get no information on how the original process is constructed, you just have to figure it out, which would be fine if there was some sort of documentation, but nothing is ever documented and poorly put together originally.

This has been an extremely frustrating experience, while in the end being blamed for not getting enough done. The best part about all this? People in question who have worked 10+ years at the company will use you as the perfect scapegoat as a newcomer for their own mistakes.

I've never had to deal with this elsewhere and unfortunately I've had to at this company. I've dealt with all kinds of low to high level projects and gathering information for projects was manageable; when you hit road blocks, you request that specific individual, book meetings or escalate to someone above and they force them to participate. Not here, the person in question does as they please and you take the blame for poor progress. They have a bad day? Too bad, it's your fault. Everything is poorly done, all over the place, patched together and glued together. Senior people when exposed to flaws, will try to hide them and you will be the perfect scapegoat.
Pros
Good pay, relaxed ''feel'' environment, free underground parking
Cons
Sneaky characters, two faced people, AWFUL benefits (they will cut 200+ off your cheque, watch out for LTD)
Great Work Environment!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke22 January 2018
I have never been in an organization where there is a such commitment to making the workplace fun! There are regular employee events and celebration of other events (Halloween, Diwali etc). There is also a cool employee lounge where you can chill. There is a ping pong and fusbal and they just added a pool table to the lounge area!

It is a fast-paced and challenging environment, and you have the autonomy to get things done. You are no bogged down by the policies and procedures you encounter in larger organizations.
Management is visible - Don't be scared by their names and titles! they are approachable and willing to talk

Work life balance is great! There is flexibility and the recognition that we have personal lives. Combined with this, the company introduce summer hours from May to September so you could leave early on Fridays or take every other Friday off!
Pros
great employee events, collaborative environment, talent and committed people
Cons
Can't think of any!
Management have no idea what they're doing
Product Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
80% of their product launches fail because of poor planning.
The management is only planning to survive for the next 6 month.
Employee turn around is high.
Very poor talent. No analytics decisions are made based on politics no business acun
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
no added value to professional experience
Expected more, Got less
Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario26 October 2017
For the better part of a facade I’ve been working within the company. Through two sales to different equity firms we’ve seen salary replaced with part time inconsistent hours, reduced benefits and higher workload.

I started thinking I’d have a career and room for growth. I’ve instead had issues getting HR and managers to follow the corporate policies on harassment from supervisors and to hold the stated meetings about the issues.

It seems every message is positive but immediately followed by condemnation and bone that should lie elsewhere. When many employees raise client concerns each year and nothing is done, it’s no wonder the company opened up space for competition and is loszing ground.

Clients have often compared us to the Rogers communications of the Auto Marketibg world: we raise prices and never resolve technical problems.

It’s very easy to enjoy the work. It’s very hard to enjoy the company you work for.
Pros
Some great people at the bottom of the totem pole
Cons
Management and Executives preach positivity while ignoring problems and misplacing blame
Fun and friendly people to work with
Database Developer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2017
Very flexible work environment
Learned a lot in the database field - the company keep up to date with the latest technologies
Management is good and people are nice
Hardest part - multitasking - working on several projects concurrently
Most enjoyable part - free beer Fridays, pool table, social events
Pros
Friendly people
Coe
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2017
I worked at Trader in the COE team. Really enjoyed working there the first few years but things sort of got stressful later on as new management took over - who were infact under pressure from their higher ups to show excellent call stats which unfortunately meant stess for the team. Also the teams were later broken into VIP and level 1 team and 90% of the calls were taken by L1 team which sort of was a pain.

Job security is great if you believe you are doing your work and your work is required by Trader. I do believe half of their workforce is redundant or perhaps not evenly distributed to where the company really requires.

Most of the jobs at Trader are company specific so you need to develop your skills if you plan on career progression in another company. There is favoritism like other companies with promotions.

Career progression is great within the company but cross department movement is difficult.

Overall a nice company to work for, nice team culture and I would recommend
Pretty Good Overall
Dealer services representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 May 2017
I enjoyed working with this company, on a full time basis, the people you work with are great! A typical day at work would include driving to various car dealerships and talking with managers, setting up a location for the photo shoot, and taking pictures, writing down key components of a vehicle. I learned a great deal about customer service and putting their needs first. Management here was always good to me, though being a union made it very difficult to keep the position when times got tough.
Pros
Route work was fairly easy, drive all kinds of vehicles around.
Cons
Union job, working here you start at the bottom no matter how good you are.
Wow, turn over of good staff...why?
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 April 2017
Wow, turn over of good staff...why? The middle management are not skilled enough to train and manage.

That''s why lots of good people have left in the last 2 years.
Pros
Ave. pay - room for advancement - training
Cons
Nothing is ever good for them. It's "what have you done for me lately"
no long vision
Category Consultant - Online Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2015
AutoTrader is a very fun casual work place but the management only hire people to implement short term projects. The direction changes all the time they have this concept of moving cheese to refer to that internally. Employee turn around is very high people just come in for the quick experience and nice salary to move on in future.
nice start up
coe (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2015
able to connect and network with vaious automitive parties
enhanced my digital marketing skills
co workers are great
management can be better from a support standpoint
Pros
corporate events
Cons
poor manangement
Products
REGIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2015
Proven successful to be the number one online media solution for all your automotive advertising needs
Fun work place with supportive management
Always one step ahead of the competition
Not a great place to work
Online Merchandising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2015
Typically I made dozens of calls each day, but I was told when I was hired that I'd be visiting clients, but the role changed to a home-based call/webinar driven role rather than face-to-face meetings

Management doesn't communicate expectations and when communication occurs it's not consistent. It was unclear what was viewed as success and I was often asked to proceed in a manner that created tension with different departments.

Co-workers were really amazing. Too bad they are remotely located though, since we all got along really well.

Hardest part of the job was the constant change in my role. I was told it would be a more technical product consultation role with lots of opportunity to meet dealers and build relationships, but in the end I was expected to make 30+ plus virtual calls a day, booking virtual visits/webinars and selling, rather than sales support.

My rare opportunities out of the office. Any chance I had to get out of the office and visit clients was enjoyable. This is a tough industry and this company has lots of dealers that don't like Trader, but I found I got along with the Franchise dealers quite well and enjoyed building those relationships when I was given the opportunity to meet face-to-face.
Pros
benefits from day one, great teammates
Cons
poor management, always working alone
What I learned
Post Moderator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 May 2015
I learned that this type of environment is a great place to learn the business world. Always growing opportunities. Managements always ensure the staff was having fun but working to strive for success within the company,
Micro Management
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby6 May 2015
The main problem with this company for at least the sales department is the level of micro management that is present. Regional Managers and Sales Director know what they are doing and give the impression that they care about their staff. Unfortunately that cannot be said for upper management. The impression that is given is that upper management does not trust their regional managers or sales staff. The lack of empathy from upper management is very troubling and does not provide for a fun work environment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Micro Management
Full of Fun Environment
Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  405 West Mall, Etobicoke On20 February 2015
A typical day at work starts with acquiring Brand new customers, I learned lots of communication skills, very persistent behavior, Management is cool, Co-workers are good to work with, Bring consistent sales every week, Work Independently.
Pros
Freedom of hours.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at autoTRADER.ca. Our community is ready to answer.