autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews in Etobicoke, ON

call centre environment
Classified Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON20 September 2018
I did not get the opprtunity to grow within Auto trader because that was a call centre environment and I was not given an opprtunity to work on a different campaign. But the work environment was excellent If I had any questions or concerns my Manager assisted me and guided me to resolve the clients needs over the phone. I had sales quota every month which I was expected to meet on a monthly basis.
Pros
Excellent Work Environment
Cons
Had no opprtunity to grow worked always held a same positon.
Best Sales Job
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 May 2018
My experience here has been nothing short of amazing. My manager is supportive and is always challenging me. I am making great money and see tons of room for advancement. The culture is also fantastic and they are constantly making sure work is both fun and rewarding for every department.

Our sales goes are realistic and well thought out, and compared to other sales jobs I have had, I actually feel secure and know I will be able to hit my targets.
Pros
Career advancement, free food, great benefits
Cons
None that I can think of
Company on a growth path
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON28 March 2018
Support PV and NPV departments

NPV department on high growth path with good vision of future.

Targets + goals are attainable (not easy!) and culture supports working together to achieve them.

New Sales leadership providing a lot of coaching and support.
Mixed bag
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON21 February 2018
I had a VERY frustrating experience working at Trader due to certain individuals. This will be slightly a rant. First and foremost beware of two faced people working here. You will be thrown under the bus if you question things too much, do things differently, uncover process or work flaws and try to reinvent the wheel too much. There are people who will act very friendly to your face, but behind your back talk very badly about you and make you a scapegoat for existing problems at the company. Very childish and snake like behaviors, bad vibes.

I moved from my previous position thinking trader will give me a better opportunity. I'm mid-career, experienced. I was well established and respected in my previous company. It seemed initially a good move with better pay, but I slowly learned, those that are more senior are protective of each other, as a new comer you can and will be a scapegoat for their own flaws.

Work is heavy and repetitive, you are expected to do more and more, it's understaffed and if you require assistance or information it will be hard to get it without drama or blame.

SOME people are wonderful, great to work with and helpful while others have a certain "one way" of thinking, "no it won't work", "we do it different here", "it's all over the place, we just patch things all the time", "we've always been doing it this way" and the people who initially developed a process who hold all the information are hard to deal with. There is NO documentation and you're just expected to figure it out. If you ask questions you annoy the people you are asking, even if
  more... they hold the information or they will act too busy weeks on weeks. They will put you down expecting you to do things their way even if it doesn't work correctly or there is a better way. If you do something different and they don't understand it, they will think you didn't do anything at all because they don't understand it. You are expected to know everything from people who hold the information; what they've previously done -- OR if you are made the process owner you will get no information on how the original process is constructed, you just have to figure it out, which would be fine if there was some sort of documentation, but nothing is ever documented and poorly put together originally.

This has been an extremely frustrating experience, while in the end being blamed for not getting enough done. The best part about all this? People in question who have worked 10+ years at the company will use you as the perfect scapegoat as a newcomer for their own mistakes.

I've never had to deal with this elsewhere and unfortunately I've had to at this company. I've dealt with all kinds of low to high level projects and gathering information for projects was manageable; when you hit road blocks, you request that specific individual, book meetings or escalate to someone above and they force them to participate. Not here, the person in question does as they please and you take the blame for poor progress. They have a bad day? Too bad, it's your fault. Everything is poorly done, all over the place, patched together and glued together. Senior people when exposed to flaws, will try to hide them and you will be the perfect scapegoat.
Pros
Good pay, relaxed ''feel'' environment, free underground parking
Cons
Sneaky characters, two faced people, AWFUL benefits (they will cut 200+ off your cheque, watch out for LTD)
Challenging but full of opportunity
Director Products - Marketplace and Mobile (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 February 2018
Company has great opportunity to leverage their market advantage for growth. Each member of the leadership team is intelligent, and dedicated. There are quality people in each functional area, but it seems like typical 80/20 rule (20% of people do 80% of the work).
Anyone can join this company and shine if they are willing to put in the effort.

The culture is a work in progress, and could be called "aspirational". It is improving, but will likely need employee turnover to complete the transformation.
Pros
Brainstorming with people, Salary, Recognition, Commutable location, Transforming industry
Great Work Environment!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke22 January 2018
I have never been in an organization where there is a such commitment to making the workplace fun! There are regular employee events and celebration of other events (Halloween, Diwali etc). There is also a cool employee lounge where you can chill. There is a ping pong and fusbal and they just added a pool table to the lounge area!

It is a fast-paced and challenging environment, and you have the autonomy to get things done. You are no bogged down by the policies and procedures you encounter in larger organizations.
Management is visible - Don't be scared by their names and titles! they are approachable and willing to talk

Work life balance is great! There is flexibility and the recognition that we have personal lives. Combined with this, the company introduce summer hours from May to September so you could leave early on Fridays or take every other Friday off!
Pros
great employee events, collaborative environment, talent and committed people
Cons
Can't think of any!
a productive and fun environment to work in
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON9 August 2017
always busy taking care of the director of finance's day-to-day
learned to enjoy my duties to the fullest without taking away any seriousness of the job
always eager and available to assist all the department managers
colleagues were all people persons and got along great
the hardest part of the job would have been having to deny my boss's time when she was just too busy
the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction on my boss's face when I executed a given task which in turn made me feel great and accomplished
Coe
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2017
I worked at Trader in the COE team. Really enjoyed working there the first few years but things sort of got stressful later on as new management took over - who were infact under pressure from their higher ups to show excellent call stats which unfortunately meant stess for the team. Also the teams were later broken into VIP and level 1 team and 90% of the calls were taken by L1 team which sort of was a pain.

Job security is great if you believe you are doing your work and your work is required by Trader. I do believe half of their workforce is redundant or perhaps not evenly distributed to where the company really requires.

Most of the jobs at Trader are company specific so you need to develop your skills if you plan on career progression in another company. There is favoritism like other companies with promotions.

Career progression is great within the company but cross department movement is difficult.

Overall a nice company to work for, nice team culture and I would recommend
Wow, turn over of good staff...why?
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 April 2017
Wow, turn over of good staff...why? The middle management are not skilled enough to train and manage.

That''s why lots of good people have left in the last 2 years.
Pros
Ave. pay - room for advancement - training
Cons
Nothing is ever good for them. It's "what have you done for me lately"
Products
REGIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2015
Proven successful to be the number one online media solution for all your automotive advertising needs
Fun work place with supportive management
Always one step ahead of the competition
What I learned
Post Moderator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 May 2015
I learned that this type of environment is a great place to learn the business world. Always growing opportunities. Managements always ensure the staff was having fun but working to strive for success within the company,
Many opportunities to grow with the Company and enhance my career
Systems Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 March 2015
I've been with Trader for 6 years and have seen the company shift from print to digital and watched it grow and evolve over those years.

Pros
-Ability to work with many fun and talented individuals
-Managers and Execs are very approachable-Opportunities are there for individuals who step up to the challenge
-Able to work with various business teams to develop new and enhance existing skills through projects and special tasks
-All employees have a yearly allowance for training to enhance skills and knowledge via courses and certifications
-There's internal growth and promotions; Employees growing and moving up through roles across many different teams to take on greater challenges
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You're never board looking for ways to keep busy!

Cons
-Trader has a strong sales culture and is very performance driven; This can be challenging for non-sales roles.
-The various IT Support teams experience a very dynamic and fast-paced work culture; You can easily find yourself biting off more than you can chew.
Pros
Trader is full of many fun, talented
Cons
Strong sales culture and very performance driven; this can be challenging for non-sales roles.
Full of Fun Environment
Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  405 West Mall, Etobicoke On20 February 2015
A typical day at work starts with acquiring Brand new customers, I learned lots of communication skills, very persistent behavior, Management is cool, Co-workers are good to work with, Bring consistent sales every week, Work Independently.
Pros
Freedom of hours.
Fun place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke3 October 2014
A typical day involves a quick chat with coworkers then a deep dive into work. The work environment is collaborative and team based where great ideas are shared and put into action.

In my short tenure (just under 1 year), I was able to gain substantial experience in my field which I am able to use to add value. My coworkers are some of the most brilliant individuals that I have the pleasure of working with, and I consistently learn from them as the days go by.

My immediate managers are supportive in my attainment of higher education and promote goal congruency. They are also very flexible when time off is required. They also promote growth as a team through various team building initiatives.

The most challenging part of my job is not getting the full picture of a task at times, and there are sometimes difficulty in putting the pieces together. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is the experience and knowledge that are being attained, and the very close knitted group of people that surrounds me. In addition, morale is high and the firm rewards employees for outstanding work.
Pros
Rewards for hard work; goal congruency, team building initiatives
Cons
Not much opportunities to move up
Amazing workplace to build on all Call Centre skills required to be successful.
Inside Sales Account Manager/Staff Trainer (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke Ontario25 June 2014
The usual day is getting your quotas by the end of the day. Usually have weekly targets. Many programs will be used to enter data information on client, sales etc. The training from management is thorough and very helpful. Co-workers are always helpful. The hardest part of the job would be cold calling. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being in the environment where you could grow on a professional career level.
Fast-paced and collaborative organization
National Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 March 2014
- fast-paced organization that continually improves on its advertising effectiveness for its clients
- a collaborative team environment where everybody works together to achieve organizational goals and objectives
- highly effective management team that continually improves and develops their respective teams
Ok Company, Not so great boss.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 October 2012
Position was overall good. You have the usual deadlines and stress to meet those deadlines. My only issue was my boss. I disliked the meetings because all it was about was everyone kissing her butt and if you didn't kiss her butt you were on your way out. Very two faced. I don't know how they hire management and I don't know how she's still there. Very unprofessional.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
managers, like everywhere else you work your butt off and your only a number.
Zero work life balance small company unprofessional culture
Curent employee, Analyst (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke23 October 2012
I am only reviewing this so that others understand that this company has no work life balance at all. I work 50/hr a week with no over time or time in lieu.

I work there and do not recommend this company to anyone.
Cons
work life balance is absent
Pro-active with co-workers, reinburstment on school, gym facilities
A/R Billing Administrator Clerk (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 August 2012
. Check emails, and inbox on tasks for the day
. Bill run sheets or contracts from Sales Reps and balance.
. Call Customers on Account Inquires.
. Dealing with difficult Customers, and resolving their issues.
. When you do not balance month end finding what you missed.
. Balancing month end. Customers that call with satisfaction on their accounts, as well always getting the work completed.
Pros
birthday lunches paid by the company.
Cons
sometime overtime
Productive and a fast pace environment
Digital Solutions & Media Consultant (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, Ontario8 May 2012
•Responsible for identification, acquisition and growth of new account opportunities within assigned territory
•Established and identified new revenue opportunities within current client portfolio
•Bi-weekly consultative meetings with clients to review current business strategies and provided solutions
•Maintained pro-active dialogue with internal divisions in order to fulfill service commitments to clientele
•100% commission based
•Overseeing and managing day-to-day operations of approximately 35 Field Operatives across Ontario
•Responsible for interviewing, hiring and terminating employees
•Responsible for logistics planning
•Organize weekly “ride-a-longs” with field operatives to ensure high level of service, problem-solving regarding client complaints
•Conduct annual reviews