autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews

Run as fast as you can!
Account Manager inside sales (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke17 February 2018
Company is in trouble and middle management has no clue as to how to treat employees. Top performers are held back by middle management as we made them look good with our hard work.

I could go on forever but as I mentioned RUN! Do not waste time busting your butt as you could get blocked from moving up.
Pros
great training
Cons
Director of Inside Sales is the biggest Con in the organization stay away from Inside Sales
Challenging but full of opportunity
Director Products - Marketplace and Mobile (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 February 2018
Company has great opportunity to leverage their market advantage for growth. Each member of the leadership team is intelligent, and dedicated. There are quality people in each functional area, but it seems like typical 80/20 rule (20% of people do 80% of the work).
Anyone can join this company and shine if they are willing to put in the effort.

The culture is a work in progress, and could be called "aspirational". It is improving, but will likely need employee turnover to complete the transformation.
Pros
Brainstorming with people, Salary, Recognition, Commutable location, Transforming industry
Great Work Environment!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke22 January 2018
I have never been in an organization where there is a such commitment to making the workplace fun! There are regular employee events and celebration of other events (Halloween, Diwali etc). There is also a cool employee lounge where you can chill. There is a ping pong and fusbal and they just added a pool table to the lounge area!

It is a fast-paced and challenging environment, and you have the autonomy to get things done. You are no bogged down by the policies and procedures you encounter in larger organizations.
Management is visible - Don't be scared by their names and titles! they are approachable and willing to talk

Work life balance is great! There is flexibility and the recognition that we have personal lives. Combined with this, the company introduce summer hours from May to September so you could leave early on Fridays or take every other Friday off!
Pros
great employee events, collaborative environment, talent and committed people
Cons
Can't think of any!
Management have no idea what they're doing
Product Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
80% of their product launches fail because of poor planning.
The management is only planning to survive for the next 6 month.
Employee turn around is high.
Very poor talent. No analytics decisions are made based on politics no business acun
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
no added value to professional experience
ordinaire
Représentante (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
compagnie qui rit de leur client, RH execrable. Compagnie qui se croit au dessus de tout...
Pros
pas grand chose a part le salaire
Cons
compagnie avec une mentalite de je men foutisme
Best in class technology and support
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby1 November 2017
If you are looking for a place that is fast paced, cutting edge fun digital company look no further. There is a supportive team environment and open communication between departments. I highly recommend autoTRADER as a great place to build a career they typically promote from within so if you are a hard worker there is lots of opportunity for career growth.
Pros
Great people and office environment
Cons
The technology is always changing
Expected more, Got less
Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario26 October 2017
For the better part of a facade I’ve been working within the company. Through two sales to different equity firms we’ve seen salary replaced with part time inconsistent hours, reduced benefits and higher workload.

I started thinking I’d have a career and room for growth. I’ve instead had issues getting HR and managers to follow the corporate policies on harassment from supervisors and to hold the stated meetings about the issues.

It seems every message is positive but immediately followed by condemnation and bone that should lie elsewhere. When many employees raise client concerns each year and nothing is done, it’s no wonder the company opened up space for competition and is loszing ground.

Clients have often compared us to the Rogers communications of the Auto Marketibg world: we raise prices and never resolve technical problems.

It’s very easy to enjoy the work. It’s very hard to enjoy the company you work for.
Pros
Some great people at the bottom of the totem pole
Cons
Management and Executives preach positivity while ignoring problems and misplacing blame
Good time
TRADER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2017
TRADER is a nice place to work to. I had a good time with my colleagues and it was always challenging.
what I learned
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2017
Different multitask, short deadlines and work with different managers. Attending meetings. Enjoyable part I'll say will be good friendly environment. Overall it was good working with them.
Fun and friendly people to work with
Database Developer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2017
Very flexible work environment
Learned a lot in the database field - the company keep up to date with the latest technologies
Management is good and people are nice
Hardest part - multitasking - working on several projects concurrently
Most enjoyable part - free beer Fridays, pool table, social events
Pros
Friendly people
a productive and fun environment to work in
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON9 August 2017
always busy taking care of the director of finance's day-to-day
learned to enjoy my duties to the fullest without taking away any seriousness of the job
always eager and available to assist all the department managers
colleagues were all people persons and got along great
the hardest part of the job would have been having to deny my boss's time when she was just too busy
the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction on my boss's face when I executed a given task which in turn made me feel great and accomplished
Great Place to Work
DEALER SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2017
Perfect job to grow service skills.
Make your own hours.
Minimal to no oversight, so only self motivated and responsible employees will succeed.
The hardest part of the job is cold winters and hot summers.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
The customer is always right...
Coe
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2017
I worked at Trader in the COE team. Really enjoyed working there the first few years but things sort of got stressful later on as new management took over - who were infact under pressure from their higher ups to show excellent call stats which unfortunately meant stess for the team. Also the teams were later broken into VIP and level 1 team and 90% of the calls were taken by L1 team which sort of was a pain.

Job security is great if you believe you are doing your work and your work is required by Trader. I do believe half of their workforce is redundant or perhaps not evenly distributed to where the company really requires.

Most of the jobs at Trader are company specific so you need to develop your skills if you plan on career progression in another company. There is favoritism like other companies with promotions.

Career progression is great within the company but cross department movement is difficult.

Overall a nice company to work for, nice team culture and I would recommend
Pretty Good Overall
Dealer services representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 May 2017
I enjoyed working with this company, on a full time basis, the people you work with are great! A typical day at work would include driving to various car dealerships and talking with managers, setting up a location for the photo shoot, and taking pictures, writing down key components of a vehicle. I learned a great deal about customer service and putting their needs first. Management here was always good to me, though being a union made it very difficult to keep the position when times got tough.
Pros
Route work was fairly easy, drive all kinds of vehicles around.
Cons
Union job, working here you start at the bottom no matter how good you are.
Wow, turn over of good staff...why?
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON29 April 2017
Wow, turn over of good staff...why? The middle management are not skilled enough to train and manage.

That''s why lots of good people have left in the last 2 years.
Pros
Ave. pay - room for advancement - training
Cons
Nothing is ever good for them. It's "what have you done for me lately"
Great job, great company
Advertising Consultant/SEO Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 October 2016
Trader Corporation was a great company to work for. They treated me well and I have nothing but good things to say about Trader. The training on SEO/SEM for building websites and increasing customer ROI through implementing proper keywords on google is something that I can help future clients with.
Pros
Great Managerial Support
Cons
Toronto Traffic
la publicite digitale.
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2016
c'est une tres bonne compagnie. il traite bien les employes.
Pros
bons environment de travail
Cons
rien de negatifs
Decent place to work but a ton of pressure
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 July 2016
Overall a decent place to work. The pay is good and the people are really nice. However, there are alot of politics in the company and everyone always seems to be miserable or complaining about their jobs and nothing ever gets fixed. They are very money hungry and their clients needs aren't a priority. I did enjoy my time there and met some great people and as well learned a lot to advance in my career
Pros
Well paying
Cons
Customer service and processes
Good workplace
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2016
Very nice co-workers, free gym, lots of manual work, but still you can learn something via the job. Some managers are using old fashion way to do the work.
no long vision
Category Consultant - Online Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2015
AutoTrader is a very fun casual work place but the management only hire people to implement short term projects. The direction changes all the time they have this concept of moving cheese to refer to that internally. Employee turn around is very high people just come in for the quick experience and nice salary to move on in future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at autoTRADER.ca. Our community is ready to answer.