autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews

Tons of perks
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON23 April 2018
Health benefits
Employee events - on and off site
Summer hours
Pool Table / video games
Great people to work with
Very friendly
Career planning
Awesome office
Pros
very worker focused
Cons
work/life balance - high stress
Don't apply, micky mouse operation
Account Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2018
NPV & PV department has seen a reduction in staff. Starting off with 30 sales rep and declining to 5 reps

NPV currently has low growth opportunity & terrible vision of success

Targets aren't achievable and currently forcing sales rep to resign for their position or find another sales opportunity

Organization loves to micromanaged experienced sales rep and forces them read a script which will be use verbatim on their clients

Read all the post from last 6 months and it's stated that employees has a terrible experience working for the organization both current and former employee
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Micromanaged Environment

Comment – 7 May 2018

All of this information is false and is clearly coming from an underperforming employee that was let go. This company is an amazing place to work!

Company on a growth path
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON28 March 2018
Support PV and NPV departments

NPV department on high growth path with good vision of future.

Targets + goals are attainable (not easy!) and culture supports working together to achieve them.

New Sales leadership providing a lot of coaching and support.
Beware of NPV Inside department
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Good base salary
Benefits and vacation time
Xbox and game lounge

The NPV is department is in decline
High turnover as new class is hired every Monday to replace terminated Account Manager
Management can't make their own decision and must realy on coworker to deliver the news. They have no real sales experience.

The sales staff started off with 25 reps and reduced to 8 sales rep. My advise don't apply in inside sales department. You will regret your decision. My recommendation is to apply to another company. Don't waste your time working in inside sales department.
Pros
Good entry Level position
Cons
Declining department
Digital Learning at the expense of culture
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2018
I learned amazing amounts about digital advertising, however the culture at this company was all about selling to the client, for the benefit of Auto Trader, not what the client needed.
Pros
Tele-commuting
Cons
Large territory put too much strain on vehicle
Mixed bag
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON21 February 2018
I had a VERY frustrating experience working at Trader due to certain individuals. This will be slightly a rant. First and foremost beware of two faced people working here. You will be thrown under the bus if you question things too much, do things differently, uncover process or work flaws and try to reinvent the wheel too much. There are people who will act very friendly to your face, but behind your back talk very badly about you and make you a scapegoat for existing problems at the company. Very childish and snake like behaviors, bad vibes.

I moved from my previous position thinking trader will give me a better opportunity. I'm mid-career, experienced. I was well established and respected in my previous company. It seemed initially a good move with better pay, but I slowly learned, those that are more senior are protective of each other, as a new comer you can and will be a scapegoat for their own flaws.

Work is heavy and repetitive, you are expected to do more and more, it's understaffed and if you require assistance or information it will be hard to get it without drama or blame.

SOME people are wonderful, great to work with and helpful while others have a certain "one way" of thinking, "no it won't work", "we do it different here", "it's all over the place, we just patch things all the time", "we've always been doing it this way" and the people who initially developed a process who hold all the information are hard to deal with. There is NO documentation and you're just expected to figure it out. If you ask questions you annoy the people you are asking, even if
  more... they hold the information or they will act too busy weeks on weeks. They will put you down expecting you to do things their way even if it doesn't work correctly or there is a better way. If you do something different and they don't understand it, they will think you didn't do anything at all because they don't understand it. You are expected to know everything from people who hold the information; what they've previously done -- OR if you are made the process owner you will get no information on how the original process is constructed, you just have to figure it out, which would be fine if there was some sort of documentation, but nothing is ever documented and poorly put together originally.

This has been an extremely frustrating experience, while in the end being blamed for not getting enough done. The best part about all this? People in question who have worked 10+ years at the company will use you as the perfect scapegoat as a newcomer for their own mistakes.

I've never had to deal with this elsewhere and unfortunately I've had to at this company. I've dealt with all kinds of low to high level projects and gathering information for projects was manageable; when you hit road blocks, you request that specific individual, book meetings or escalate to someone above and they force them to participate. Not here, the person in question does as they please and you take the blame for poor progress. They have a bad day? Too bad, it's your fault. Everything is poorly done, all over the place, patched together and glued together. Senior people when exposed to flaws, will try to hide them and you will be the perfect scapegoat.
Pros
Good pay, relaxed ''feel'' environment, free underground parking
Cons
Sneaky characters, two faced people, AWFUL benefits (they will cut 200+ off your cheque, watch out for LTD)
Run as fast as you can!
Account Manager inside sales (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke17 February 2018
Company is in trouble and middle management has no clue as to how to treat employees. Top performers are held back by middle management as we made them look good with our hard work.

I could go on forever but as I mentioned RUN! Do not waste time busting your butt as you could get blocked from moving up.
Pros
great training
Cons
Director of Inside Sales is the biggest Con in the organization stay away from Inside Sales
Challenging but full of opportunity
Director Products - Marketplace and Mobile (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 February 2018
Company has great opportunity to leverage their market advantage for growth. Each member of the leadership team is intelligent, and dedicated. There are quality people in each functional area, but it seems like typical 80/20 rule (20% of people do 80% of the work).
Anyone can join this company and shine if they are willing to put in the effort.

The culture is a work in progress, and could be called "aspirational". It is improving, but will likely need employee turnover to complete the transformation.
Pros
Brainstorming with people, Salary, Recognition, Commutable location, Transforming industry
Great Work Environment!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke22 January 2018
I have never been in an organization where there is a such commitment to making the workplace fun! There are regular employee events and celebration of other events (Halloween, Diwali etc). There is also a cool employee lounge where you can chill. There is a ping pong and fusbal and they just added a pool table to the lounge area!

It is a fast-paced and challenging environment, and you have the autonomy to get things done. You are no bogged down by the policies and procedures you encounter in larger organizations.
Management is visible - Don't be scared by their names and titles! they are approachable and willing to talk

Work life balance is great! There is flexibility and the recognition that we have personal lives. Combined with this, the company introduce summer hours from May to September so you could leave early on Fridays or take every other Friday off!
Pros
great employee events, collaborative environment, talent and committed people
Cons
Can't think of any!
Management have no idea what they're doing
Product Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
80% of their product launches fail because of poor planning.
The management is only planning to survive for the next 6 month.
Employee turn around is high.
Very poor talent. No analytics decisions are made based on politics no business acun
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
no added value to professional experience
ordinaire
Représentante (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
compagnie qui rit de leur client, RH execrable. Compagnie qui se croit au dessus de tout...
Pros
pas grand chose a part le salaire
Cons
compagnie avec une mentalite de je men foutisme
Best in class technology and support
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby1 November 2017
If you are looking for a place that is fast paced, cutting edge fun digital company look no further. There is a supportive team environment and open communication between departments. I highly recommend autoTRADER as a great place to build a career they typically promote from within so if you are a hard worker there is lots of opportunity for career growth.
Pros
Great people and office environment
Cons
The technology is always changing
Expected more, Got less
Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario26 October 2017
For the better part of a facade I’ve been working within the company. Through two sales to different equity firms we’ve seen salary replaced with part time inconsistent hours, reduced benefits and higher workload.

I started thinking I’d have a career and room for growth. I’ve instead had issues getting HR and managers to follow the corporate policies on harassment from supervisors and to hold the stated meetings about the issues.

It seems every message is positive but immediately followed by condemnation and bone that should lie elsewhere. When many employees raise client concerns each year and nothing is done, it’s no wonder the company opened up space for competition and is loszing ground.

Clients have often compared us to the Rogers communications of the Auto Marketibg world: we raise prices and never resolve technical problems.

It’s very easy to enjoy the work. It’s very hard to enjoy the company you work for.
Pros
Some great people at the bottom of the totem pole
Cons
Management and Executives preach positivity while ignoring problems and misplacing blame
Good time
TRADER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2017
TRADER is a nice place to work to. I had a good time with my colleagues and it was always challenging.
what I learned
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2017
Different multitask, short deadlines and work with different managers. Attending meetings. Enjoyable part I'll say will be good friendly environment. Overall it was good working with them.
Fun and friendly people to work with
Database Developer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 September 2017
Very flexible work environment
Learned a lot in the database field - the company keep up to date with the latest technologies
Management is good and people are nice
Hardest part - multitasking - working on several projects concurrently
Most enjoyable part - free beer Fridays, pool table, social events
Pros
Friendly people
a productive and fun environment to work in
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON9 August 2017
always busy taking care of the director of finance's day-to-day
learned to enjoy my duties to the fullest without taking away any seriousness of the job
always eager and available to assist all the department managers
colleagues were all people persons and got along great
the hardest part of the job would have been having to deny my boss's time when she was just too busy
the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the satisfaction on my boss's face when I executed a given task which in turn made me feel great and accomplished
Great Place to Work
DEALER SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2017
Perfect job to grow service skills.
Make your own hours.
Minimal to no oversight, so only self motivated and responsible employees will succeed.
The hardest part of the job is cold winters and hot summers.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
The customer is always right...
Coe
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON11 July 2017
I worked at Trader in the COE team. Really enjoyed working there the first few years but things sort of got stressful later on as new management took over - who were infact under pressure from their higher ups to show excellent call stats which unfortunately meant stess for the team. Also the teams were later broken into VIP and level 1 team and 90% of the calls were taken by L1 team which sort of was a pain.

Job security is great if you believe you are doing your work and your work is required by Trader. I do believe half of their workforce is redundant or perhaps not evenly distributed to where the company really requires.

Most of the jobs at Trader are company specific so you need to develop your skills if you plan on career progression in another company. There is favoritism like other companies with promotions.

Career progression is great within the company but cross department movement is difficult.

Overall a nice company to work for, nice team culture and I would recommend
Pretty Good Overall
Dealer services representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 May 2017
I enjoyed working with this company, on a full time basis, the people you work with are great! A typical day at work would include driving to various car dealerships and talking with managers, setting up a location for the photo shoot, and taking pictures, writing down key components of a vehicle. I learned a great deal about customer service and putting their needs first. Management here was always good to me, though being a union made it very difficult to keep the position when times got tough.
Pros
Route work was fairly easy, drive all kinds of vehicles around.
Cons
Union job, working here you start at the bottom no matter how good you are.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at autoTRADER.ca. Our community is ready to answer.