autoTRADER.ca Employee Reviews

Wonderful Company!
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2018
The company offers a great work life balance. It is amazing how much they do for employees.

I am very happy with my team and manager. I learn constantly from them.
Pros
Summer hours, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Nothing I can think of
The company is 5 years behind
Jr Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2018
Casual work environment, management is decent. Pretty saturated sales space, most customers look at autoTRADER with a sense of distrust and dissatisfaction.
call centre environment
Classified Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON20 September 2018
I did not get the opprtunity to grow within Auto trader because that was a call centre environment and I was not given an opprtunity to work on a different campaign. But the work environment was excellent If I had any questions or concerns my Manager assisted me and guided me to resolve the clients needs over the phone. I had sales quota every month which I was expected to meet on a monthly basis.
Pros
Excellent Work Environment
Cons
Had no opprtunity to grow worked always held a same positon.
Really good experience
Great people to work with
Very friendly
Career planning
Awesome office
Pros
Employees event
Great Place to work!!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 September 2018
Biggest advantage of working at Trader is- its senior leadership team is amazing! All of them are quite approachable and understanding.

Other colleagues are pretty nice and polite too:)

The company promotes/hosts fun and exciting events and responds positively on all feedback they receive.
Pros
Indoor Games Lounge, Free Beer Fridays, Fun events, Summer hours with flexi timings
AutoTrader is a great place to work
BI Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2018
AutoTrader is a great place to work, the agile management is very efficient and give autonomy to everyone. Management always trying to innovate. Fast paced environment
Great Work Place
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
AutoTrader is great place to work.
Super Fun Environment.
Flexible work hours.
Work From Home option.
Best Sales Job
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 May 2018
My experience here has been nothing short of amazing. My manager is supportive and is always challenging me. I am making great money and see tons of room for advancement. The culture is also fantastic and they are constantly making sure work is both fun and rewarding for every department.

Our sales goes are realistic and well thought out, and compared to other sales jobs I have had, I actually feel secure and know I will be able to hit my targets.
Pros
Career advancement, free food, great benefits
Cons
None that I can think of
Overall very nice work place!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto11 May 2018
Lots of new things to learn about. Team very resourceful. General work atmosphere is very nice.
Challenging, sometimes stressful but positive stress!
Everyone seem to be open to help. Chances to advance: direct manager will actually encourage to do so!
Lots of fun things: pong table, pool, fusball, video games!
Free snacks...
Nice in/out events and thirsty Thursdays once per month!
After hour soccer and bootcamp
Free Gym too!
Pros
listed in comments
Cons
long travel time
Tons of perks
Great people to work with
Very friendly
Career planning
Awesome office
Pros
very worker focused
Cons
work/life balance - high stress
Company on a growth path
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON28 March 2018
Support PV and NPV departments

NPV department on high growth path with good vision of future.

Targets + goals are attainable (not easy!) and culture supports working together to achieve them.

New Sales leadership providing a lot of coaching and support.
Beware of NPV Inside department
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Good base salary
Benefits and vacation time
Xbox and game lounge

The NPV is department is in decline
High turnover as new class is hired every Monday to replace terminated Account Manager
Management can't make their own decision and must realy on coworker to deliver the news. They have no real sales experience.

The sales staff started off with 25 reps and reduced to 8 sales rep. My advise don't apply in inside sales department. You will regret your decision. My recommendation is to apply to another company. Don't waste your time working in inside sales department.
Pros
Good entry Level position
Cons
Declining department
Digital Learning at the expense of culture
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2018
I learned amazing amounts about digital advertising, however the culture at this company was all about selling to the client, for the benefit of Auto Trader, not what the client needed.
Pros
Tele-commuting
Cons
Large territory put too much strain on vehicle
Mixed bag
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON21 February 2018
I had a VERY frustrating experience working at Trader due to certain individuals. This will be slightly a rant. First and foremost beware of two faced people working here. You will be thrown under the bus if you question things too much, do things differently, uncover process or work flaws and try to reinvent the wheel too much. There are people who will act very friendly to your face, but behind your back talk very badly about you and make you a scapegoat for existing problems at the company. Very childish and snake like behaviors, bad vibes.

I moved from my previous position thinking trader will give me a better opportunity. I'm mid-career, experienced. I was well established and respected in my previous company. It seemed initially a good move with better pay, but I slowly learned, those that are more senior are protective of each other, as a new comer you can and will be a scapegoat for their own flaws.

Work is heavy and repetitive, you are expected to do more and more, it's understaffed and if you require assistance or information it will be hard to get it without drama or blame.

SOME people are wonderful, great to work with and helpful while others have a certain "one way" of thinking, "no it won't work", "we do it different here", "it's all over the place, we just patch things all the time", "we've always been doing it this way" and the people who initially developed a process who hold all the information are hard to deal with. There is NO documentation and you're just expected to figure it out. If you ask questions you annoy the people you are asking, even if
  more... they hold the information or they will act too busy weeks on weeks. They will put you down expecting you to do things their way even if it doesn't work correctly or there is a better way. If you do something different and they don't understand it, they will think you didn't do anything at all because they don't understand it. You are expected to know everything from people who hold the information; what they've previously done -- OR if you are made the process owner you will get no information on how the original process is constructed, you just have to figure it out, which would be fine if there was some sort of documentation, but nothing is ever documented and poorly put together originally.

This has been an extremely frustrating experience, while in the end being blamed for not getting enough done. The best part about all this? People in question who have worked 10+ years at the company will use you as the perfect scapegoat as a newcomer for their own mistakes.

I've never had to deal with this elsewhere and unfortunately I've had to at this company. I've dealt with all kinds of low to high level projects and gathering information for projects was manageable; when you hit road blocks, you request that specific individual, book meetings or escalate to someone above and they force them to participate. Not here, the person in question does as they please and you take the blame for poor progress. They have a bad day? Too bad, it's your fault. Everything is poorly done, all over the place, patched together and glued together. Senior people when exposed to flaws, will try to hide them and you will be the perfect scapegoat.
Pros
Good pay, relaxed ''feel'' environment, free underground parking
Cons
Sneaky characters, two faced people, AWFUL benefits (they will cut 200+ off your cheque, watch out for LTD)
Challenging but full of opportunity
Director Products - Marketplace and Mobile (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 February 2018
Company has great opportunity to leverage their market advantage for growth. Each member of the leadership team is intelligent, and dedicated. There are quality people in each functional area, but it seems like typical 80/20 rule (20% of people do 80% of the work).
Anyone can join this company and shine if they are willing to put in the effort.

The culture is a work in progress, and could be called "aspirational". It is improving, but will likely need employee turnover to complete the transformation.
Pros
Brainstorming with people, Salary, Recognition, Commutable location, Transforming industry
Great Work Environment!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke22 January 2018
I have never been in an organization where there is a such commitment to making the workplace fun! There are regular employee events and celebration of other events (Halloween, Diwali etc). There is also a cool employee lounge where you can chill. There is a ping pong and fusbal and they just added a pool table to the lounge area!

It is a fast-paced and challenging environment, and you have the autonomy to get things done. You are no bogged down by the policies and procedures you encounter in larger organizations.
Management is visible - Don't be scared by their names and titles! they are approachable and willing to talk

Work life balance is great! There is flexibility and the recognition that we have personal lives. Combined with this, the company introduce summer hours from May to September so you could leave early on Fridays or take every other Friday off!
Pros
great employee events, collaborative environment, talent and committed people
Cons
Can't think of any!
Management have no idea what they're doing
Product Development (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
80% of their product launches fail because of poor planning.
The management is only planning to survive for the next 6 month.
Employee turn around is high.
Very poor talent. No analytics decisions are made based on politics no business acun
Pros
Salary is good
Cons
no added value to professional experience
ordinaire
Représentante (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
compagnie qui rit de leur client, RH execrable. Compagnie qui se croit au dessus de tout...
Pros
pas grand chose a part le salaire
Cons
compagnie avec une mentalite de je men foutisme
Best in class technology and support
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnaby1 November 2017
If you are looking for a place that is fast paced, cutting edge fun digital company look no further. There is a supportive team environment and open communication between departments. I highly recommend autoTRADER as a great place to build a career they typically promote from within so if you are a hard worker there is lots of opportunity for career growth.
Pros
Great people and office environment
Cons
The technology is always changing
Expected more, Got less
Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario26 October 2017
For the better part of a facade I’ve been working within the company. Through two sales to different equity firms we’ve seen salary replaced with part time inconsistent hours, reduced benefits and higher workload.

I started thinking I’d have a career and room for growth. I’ve instead had issues getting HR and managers to follow the corporate policies on harassment from supervisors and to hold the stated meetings about the issues.

It seems every message is positive but immediately followed by condemnation and bone that should lie elsewhere. When many employees raise client concerns each year and nothing is done, it’s no wonder the company opened up space for competition and is loszing ground.

Clients have often compared us to the Rogers communications of the Auto Marketibg world: we raise prices and never resolve technical problems.

It’s very easy to enjoy the work. It’s very hard to enjoy the company you work for.
Pros
Some great people at the bottom of the totem pole
Cons
Management and Executives preach positivity while ignoring problems and misplacing blame

Ask a question about working or interviewing at autoTRADER.ca. Our community is ready to answer.