AutoShack.com

AutoShack.com Employee Reviews

Canada28 reviews
Featured review
AutoShack.com selected this as a representative review
I've worked here since June. I have seen a lot of projects going on. A building expansion, new production line, new software tools, etc. It is nice to be in a place where thing are moving forward instead of the same every day.

This place is not perfect. The overall job culture is good not great. The people I work with are nice and outgoing. But the company does very little in terms of employee social engagement.

I do like being a part of an e-commerce company. I get to work on the seller side of both our eBay and amazon sales channels. There aren't many places in Kanata that have this type of opportunity. Most of these jobs are downtown. So, my commute is convent for me.

A lot of people have been knocking the management here. Those people I think haven't worked for privately owned companies before. I've heard people here say the owners are very hands on. I can't really speak to that.

Overall, I like working here. I've sent in friends resumes as well. There are areas where this company can improve and maybe these new projects are helping them get there.
I've never worked in a retail / restaurant where we did not have to do after hours close.

It awesome. When the store closes at 6 I leave at 6.

Some of the customers like to give attitude especially the men who think they know more than me as a woman.

Lots of customers are really great and friendly. I've had a few people ask me over the phone to transfer me to a man but they are just being ignorant.

Staff are fun and the place is cool.

Only issue / recommendation for people thinking of applying - They don't do part time. They don't even consider it or have it as an option. But if you are interested in full time I would recommend it.
Pros
Great staff, good benefits, no requests to stay late.
Cons
Rude customers, no part time option
Contact Center - you get lots of negative calls, lots of them but that's because people who are satisfied with their order don't call to thank you.

Selling is the best part - customers tell me how much I saved them is awesome.

You have to deal with issues where customer gave the wrong vehicle info or you wrote down 99 instead of 98 and now they are waiting longer to fix their car but if you pay attention and focus it's not hard.

One issue is everyone is 10 feet tall on the phone so there are some people who will say some pretty terrible things. Those people suck.
The job is normal - 8 -5. The environment is interesting and working in E-commerce sales is cool. Not many in ottawa that do this kind of business.

Getting to work on the walmart e-commerce platform implementation project is cool.

Company doesn't do much in terms of staff engagement - lunches, team building - inter department socializing. Those things we are used to in web design, and programming companies.

Pretty strict on start and end times for fixed hours. not used to seeing that in programming fixed positions. But my manager doesn't want us staying past 5 so we can go home which was surprising. Never a late night.
I worked at the call center. During my time, operation had changed more than 6 operation managements. Most of them didnt last more than two weeks, main reason is the owners. Every single meeting you could hear how they talked to them. I have seen after couple of months we let people go although their performance were at accepted level. Well the owners didnt wanna pay for insurance or as a full-time. Long hours was a typical thing, during my duration and after me, call centers managements have fallen like one by one. I dont think anyone in call center has more than 3 months experience. Management treated offshore people badly too. If a person achieved what we wanted, like numbers of calls, sales we raised the bar higher that we dont pay them commission. So if the sales was $35/day we increased it to $70, this way we didnt pay anything to them. Till now, couple of times call center agents have walked away from them job due to stress and horrible owners. Avoid Working for this people.
24 April 2020
Hi George, Thank you for your review. I understand you are disappointed we didn't contact you in regards to your application for the manager position on when you applied on march 6th.

We are sorry you felt people were let go for reasons like paying employee premiums. As the assistant Manager of the call center you were one of the individuals responsible for deciding who to terminate and processing the dismissals so to come back and say "management" did it is very disappointing.

It is feedback and behaviour you display like this that did not get you consideration for the position when you reapplied march 6th.

All the best to you in the future George.
good pay full time hours never cut shifts.cool people

some of the clowns think it's highschool and like to dirty the bathroom like there to dumb to realize there going to need to use it again later.

Problem working there in the winter when the trucks pull up and the doors has to open.
The warehouse was much more stressful than anticipated. People that were working there, probably shouldn't have been hired. The owner would come in a lot to see us and his son. Both very intimidating people and emotional.
Pros
starting money was good
Cons
owners were intimidating
working at autoshack was my first experience on the work force.
the work is hard but they pay more then most other places i applied.

i received lots of experience performing many different tasks. i received forklift and other equipment training. I also got a better understanding of the everyday functions of a warehouse. once you work there for a few months and show that you care and are willing to learn the opportunity for a raise is very attainable.
Worked in the retail sales for this company for 7 years. Spent time as a driver for them when they had service garages before that too. The retail store is a fun place to work. I'll tell ya - you get all kinds of interesting customers walk in. Old timers talking about a classic car the "used to have." Customers having no idea what they need and thanking us for getting them looked after.

One thing I have learned about working here is everyone has a brother, or uncle, or sisters cousin who is a mechanic.

I've spent almost 20 years in retail. I liked it here because we never worked past 6 and in all the time I was there we never worked the retail store on a sunday.

Really fun job.
The Owner and sons are a bunch of weirdos. The place is okay to work for if you really need the money. And myself and all of the warehouse guys are about the only normal ones. Well, that’s saying a bit much. For the MAJORITY, they’re normal. If you know your name they will hire you. I’ve made some decent pals in the warehouse, but I’m gone within the next couple of weeks. And I can confidently say I will not miss this shack by any means!
Worked with one of the most friendly, supportive and intelligent teammates. There are pros and cons to working here, but what kept me around for long was how great it was to work with such incredible team members.
They would rather pay off shore agents to do the jobs rather than keep jobs in Canada. They have a high turn around and management needs to learn how to run a business and keep their employees happy.
13 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We were aware there were issues to improve on in our Contact Center. Since October 1st we have completely redone our department. Built a full Ottawa based team of 12. Created A nice training area for them to work and develop. Re-worked processes and procedures for easy of use (both on the employee and customer side). Developed and improved response time procedures, cut call times down, email response, and warranty processing.

We greatly appreciate your feedback. We have made great strides in getting our Contact Center up to a professional corporate Level. Feedback like this helps us develop and improve.
12 November 2019
I'm not sure if you fully understood the position of the offshore team when you worked here. If there was a misunderstanding I understand.

Our Contact Center has a full team of 12 here in Ottawa. The offshore team works during the night and on Sundays so that we don't have to require our Ottawa Teammembers to work those days and hours.

We have a great team here in our Contact Center. If that was not your experience then I apologize but our staff has been fantastic in that department.
Autoshack is an alright place to work, money is pretty good if you don't have many expenses, the work can be fun if you enjoy face paced environments but can also be stressful at times. The people here are amazing, i have made tons of friends over my 2 years of working here.The only problem is this job becomes your life, work always comes first, doesn't matter if someone you live with just died, your still expected to be at work. In conclusion, if you need some money to get your life back on track and your willing to put in the work it is an alright place to work.
Pros
The money is pretty good
Cons
Work always comes first before your life/ well being
12 November 2019
Our staff here are all on a four weeks schedule. Everyone knows their schedule well in advance - mostly 2 months out. If there is an employee emergency there is never an issue with them taking it. All of our staff are scheduled at 40 hours and we never call an employee in on thier day off.

We never ask more from our employees than to be on time, work when they're scheduled and put quality in their work. If you felt otherwise we apologize but we do encourage a work life balance here at AutoShack.com.
The managers here in the warehouse do a great job listening to the needs and issues that staff encounters on a daily basis, in and out of the workplace. Everybody is treated equally, regardless of seniority. They reward workers based on your day to day work ethic, and never fail to praise employees for doing a good job.

A typical day in the warehouse consists of "picking" parts of shelves, replenishing parts that have been sold, and processing parts to be shipped. Lot's of lifting required as it is an auto parts warehouse, but management is great at moving employees around so everyone's happy while working and daily objectives can still be met.

Communication is also great between staff members. We're all part of a team here and it's great coming to work in the morning as everyone is collectively trying to reach the same goals, and were always helping each other out.

Overall I would recommend Autoshack to anyone who is looking for a fun place to work every day, it is a great environment and there is plenty of room for promotions and things like that.
Pros
Great group of guys, we are all treated equally. Communication between employees is good.
Cons
Mondays our shift is 1 hour longer than the rest of the work week.
I've worked at many different places and this is the first job to constantly show me they recognize my work ethic.

They offer in-house training for the machines like jiggers, reach trucks and order pickers which is super good for future jobs or even if you choose to stick around.

The management here is very accommodating, they will move you around the warehouse if a certain job is taking a toll on you that day.

If you work hard they aren't afraid to offer raises or promotions. It is hard work but it is worth it in the end. They take punctuality seriously as well so if you aren't someone who is often on time this job isn't for you. Also if you're lazy then don't bother.
Pros
good environment, hard yet fun work, good people, promotions and raises and lots of training.
Cons
hard work, summer is very hot
Great people to work with, friendly staff and co-workers. Lots of opportunities to learn and advance in the company, (in both pay and position). The company provides thorough training on a multitude of warehouse machinery and equipment. Managers and lead hands provide coaching and training for success within the company.
Auto Shack is a great place to start up a warehouse career and also continue your career with a mindset of promotions. As long as you come in with a positive mindset and willing to learn there are many opportunities of advancement plus wage increase.
The management are pretty good with dealing with problems right away that you come across, if they can't you just have to see someone else.

I like everyone I work with and enjoy coming into work because even if I'm having a bad bad the guys always cheer me up.

Pros
Summer lunches for the entire company during summer and for the Christmas holidays
Cons
In certain areas of the warehouse the RF gun systems goes down more often then we would like
13 January 2020
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback.

We would like to discuss the line "However if there is a chance that you think will benefit the work life or productivity sometimes its hard for the management to hear your voice.You must go to everything and get them to agree with you before they consider it."

Some of our best ideas have come from our employees. If there is something specific you'd like to address we'd like to hear it.
12 November 2019
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. The RF gun issue has been resolved and if their is any other feedback you can provide we'd love to hear it.
Amazing opportunities to grow experience and skill set. Day to day tasks are a challenge due to the continual development of new systems being integrated in the warehouse but extremely fun to work with. Management is newer in their roles but everyone cares about the overall health of the company and safety of employees.

Pay is vary reasonable for all job functions in the warehouse, either you are a picker, machine operator to being a lead/supervisor.

You are paid based on what you can bring to the table and show the team you can pull your own weight. Do a good job, you get rewarded. Show you want to work here, you get rewarded.

The hardest part of the job is honesty keeping up with the systematic issues daily but they are addressed. It is going to happen when systems are being developed but causes a huge headache until it is running smooth. Hard to plan day to day goals when you never know when the next issue arises.
Pros
Pay, Advancement, Lunches
Cons
Work week is generally 44-50 hours/week
Most reviews mention they hire anyone which is semi true which just means they give anyone the benefit of the doubt. If you end up staying it’s a great work place great people great benefits great discounts
Pros
Something new every day
Cons
This is a bad environment to work in. The conditions are terrible and mamagement treat you like a tool. Personally I was treated with condescending attitudes even though i am quite apt to do the work and more than that. I was also punished for taking a sick day by management and sent to do a menial task as a form of getting back at me. Moreover, managers lack social skills and are quite abrassive with their demeanor towards the employees. Team leaders seem ok but they eventually will turn into those mean spirited individuals that management are. I would WARN anyone to rethi k working here unless you are totally desperate for work. Even then I would suggest finding work elsewhere. They will make you work holidays and not even have the decency to pay you time and a half. Stay away.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, terrible management, no holidays
Position: Customer Service Representative in Call Centre at Stittsville location.

A great place to enjoy meeting new people and learning different management types. The margin for error in attendance expectations is very crucial, so I balanced my time within my capabilities to adhere to the company's policies without violating them.

The best part of this position was meeting wonderful people, who taught me how to be more endearing and mindful of the moments I spend. Due to never being officially trained, it was quite difficult to grasp some of the frequently updating policies. AutoShack is a great place for career and personal growth. If possible, I would not recommend this position for any duration longer than 3 months.
Pros
TIme Management; Call Centre Experience
Cons
Scattered Management; Toxic Environment