Autoport Limited

Autoport Limited Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
Lots of old union workers here who will rip you apart. you're just a number and they tell you this constantly. So do not mess up or youre gone ASAP....
Autoport Limited is a solid collaborative environment to work at. it is where each individual play a key role to work as a team and make up the big picture
It was a good place to work, sometimes slow depending on the month. They did remove people if the job is slow, although it was a good place to work they favorited Citizens over work permits. They were a little bit unorganized but the people were very friendly.
The job would have been a lot better if the management was replaced, terrible leadership creating a very hostile work environment, there is no schedule and he expects you to work whenever he calls, and will threaten to replace you if you cannot adhere. Overall a super bad experience other than driving cool cars. DO NOT WORK HERE.
You will be mostly unloading railcars of new and used vehicles. Will be trained on dayshift (great guys) and after probation will pretty much be transfered to the "Friday to Monday" weekend nightshift for the rest of the time you are there (very dramatic shift, constant problems that never get solved). It's pretty easy job some physical work, if you are afraid of heights this place isn't for you. Winters on nightshift are brutal, make the job quite dangerous. Injuries weekly were common. Toxic union environment. Everything is done by seniority, dayshifts are taken by all seniors, juniors will never see those shifts after probation. No union representation on nightshift. Rarely would see union reps unless working overtime that crossed over onto their shift time. Union runs the terminal for the most part, so many problems are never solved. Supervisors quit/fired on a monthly basis almost like clockwork. Drug culture was pretty bad as well, which is very dangerous when moving trains in the yards. Health and Dental benefits are very expensive here not sure why. Most op out unless they need it for the family. The pay is good but there is no premium for working any of the night shifts. Also night shift is good for those that want to work daytime jobs, most can usually get 4 or 5 hours of sleep in during the shift. Depending on what you are doing during the shift. Vehicles were badly abused, especially in the high end creditstone yard.
wile working for auto port I was in rail, first few months of the job really weren't bad but as time went of it began to spoil in the end I don't feel id work there again after working for them given how I was treated
My first union experience and it was good and bad at the same time. The union is there for you in some aspects and others not so much. Management is not that great.
Could be an okay job if the boss was replaced, unrealistic standards set by management. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone. Only fun part is driving new cars.
I enjoyed working at autoport LTD.,if i had it my way i would still be their,but for surcumstanced at the time was not enough hours at one point since its also unionized.
Being a temp worker I wasn't treated as well as the regular employees. Over a few days I recall being dropped off to drive a vehicle across the road to the bottom of the hill this time. It was raining / freezing as we waited for the bus to pick us up where we dropped off the vehicles, the bus drove past us up the hill and parked? Myself including several other Temps had to walk up the hill getting soaking and wet at the beginning of my shift with 8 hours remaining.
This happened a few more times when I lost it and walked in to the office and told them where they could stick their job!

I was disgusted that the bus driver treated me so poorly. A year and a bit later I worked for a security company who provided security at the Auto Port. When they found out I worked for the security company and would be posted their auto port told my employer that they did not want me working security at the auto port.

I lost many hours waiting to be posted to another site.

You can make up your mind if you want to work for this employer.
Pros
Driving vehicles
Cons
not being treated like a person.
This is my second time being employed by Autoport Calgary, after a brief 6 months falling back into construction before returning this March. I can definately say that if your someone who is hard working, dedicated and willing to go the extra mile so others don’t have to, you’ll fit right in and management and the crew will have your back. There are lots of opportunities to learn and advance here if you choose to. It’s important to grasp the fact we are care takers of important merchandise and responsible for it from the moment it is received in our yard, till the moment it leaves so there is a lot of pressure on everyone to do things the right way in a proper and timely fashion, even if that means we have to flexible with our schedules, it is the rail road we are dealing with after all.

Some people are meant for it, some aren’t but it comes with good rewards; family, pride and pay.
Pros
Management/Supervisors tell us when we have done a good job when we have.
Cons
Need Keurig in lunch room
I've worked for this company for a few years. Ill admit when I first started there was next to no support from upper management but in the past couple years it has greatly improved. If we need something it is provided. The hours can be long during the busy time of the year which is normally end of winter start of spring but slows down during the summer which is nice, I can take time off to spend with my family camping or doing other things rather then sit in the house cause its to cold. I will admit this job is not for everyone It does take a hard, goal orientated person. I noticed the one person mentioned something about food being provided?...Well its a place of work not a soup kitchen they pay me well so I can afford to buy my own food they do sometimes buy us food or coffee if we are working late. The managers I report to are like any other boss they expect us to get our work done within the time line and do so safely but when I need help they have been there to talk to for advice or allowed me to take time off to sort things out at home. Safety has greatly been improved since I started before we would almost get away with anything to get our work done where now it is do it safely and follow the rules and we still get it done in about the same time.
Pros
Job security, New cars, Feel safe going to work. More free time in summer vs. Winter.
Cons
Long hours(small time of the year).
Stay out of this place
Worst place to work

An employee's day here starts with waking up in the morning and then wait the whole day waiting for your start time. Imagine waking up at 7am waiting for the lead hand's message when to come in cause it could be 8am or 10am or late in the evening or even spend the whole day wasting your time just waiting for that darn text message just for them to say "no work today" at 9pm LMAO. IMAGINE THAT?! Waking up 7am everyday wondering what time you are going to work and then end up working late in the evening. You can also sleep in if you want but once you have missed that message for the start time, oh boy that incompetent terminal manager is going to yell at your face for being late. Also the higher management gives you deadline on something impossible to do within that certain timeframe before the deadline and then yell at the crew for not finishing it on time even though they knew beforehand that it is impossible. But hey, you could be the lead hand within 3 months of working here because of the high turnover. People quitting left and right because of how badly CN and Autoport treat their employees. On the side note, winter gears came in a month before winter ends. They bought summer gloves and gave it to the employees during winter time. Anyways, you guys can go try to apply here and get hired and see it for yourself. LMAO
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
This job is probably the most fun I've ever had getting paid, on the days I could put aside the attitude and rediculous workload that is. The place is way understaffed so if you get along with the guys you're basically family. Don't let the managers fool you though. Multiple double time shifts in a week and no food provided. Just saying.
Pros
Family vibe, cool cars
Cons
Understaffed, expectations too high
Autoport will hire anyone with a driver's license, but not necessarily a clean driver's abstract, and certainly little to no people skills. The unionized environment is quite hostile towards management. These individuals have nothing good to say about management, despite the work being relatively easy. What's wrong with driving exotic cars before anyone else? Answer: not a thing! So why should management be bashed when we are simply only providing direction for their daily work requirements? In short, it's a poisonous work environment, and I would not recommend this as a place of employment.
Pros
the wage or salary is respectable for the work involved
Cons
poisonous work environment leading to high stress
Was a supervisor at the keels location . The worst place to work . Squeezed between mgmt and union . Lots of politics and you can be thrown out if union doesn’t like you. Mgmt doesn’t care about supervisors neither does the union . For them, they bet on how long will the supervisor stay with Autoport . You won’t get paid overtime as they are banked as day offs , which is hard to get . So technically they offer OT but you cannot get it .
Glad I am not with them anymore . What a relief.
Pros
None whatsoever
Cons
The company is afraid of union
Loved the work. But the manager does not treat employees good. They wont give you a schedule. You are expected to work basically 24/7. They will find any lame excuse to fire you in the first 3 months. DO NOT work here.
Pros
Drive cool cars sometimes
Cons
Everything else
Garbage company to work for. They expect you to manage adults who act like children but don't get upset or you'll lose your job. The head of HR is scared to back any position of discipline .
Pros
Most onsite management
Cons
Head of Human Resources
Good money and ability to make good wages when work is available but it doesn't come without frustrations...Leadership has been promoted within but lacks... Glad to have left...
A typical day at work at the Winnipeg Terminal starts with getting called in later or earlier each day, potentially even working double shifts. A day starts there with roughly 21 rail cars, approximately 200 vehicles to unchock and offload and park. Sometimes more due to another parties drops.
I learned that you should be much more vocal and critical to management and other crew members about their performance, the key thing is to eventually get a good enough crew so that everyone works as hard as each other and not one person or 2 people pulling the weight of a 7 man crew.

Workplace culture shouldn't feel like a "bro club". It should feel like a constant competition to be better than senior guys or just to strive and get better everyday, as far as I know, there's lots of lazy workers there that just drag the day on and go into overtime for no good reason.

Hardest part of the job is from early fall to late winter when it is slow and cold. Things become twice as hard to get done (chocks & plates) and you tend not to make as much money.

Most enjoyable part is driving the vehicles, get some pretty neat vehicles coming off if seniors let you drive them. Spring rush can be fun knowing you're going to make a lot of money due to doubles left and right, but if you have a few lazy guys expect that to kill the fun.
Pros
Cars
Cons
Everything Else
I worked as a temp and I worked very diligently and always said yes to long hours up to 12 hrs+. This was during their spring rush when they needed extra workers. By the end of spring they made a BS excuse and they fired a bunch of people me included. Their excuse for me was I worked too many hours yet they never gave me any schedule so I showed up to work 7 days a week. They complained about having to pay me over time. The management and communication is so terrible there they don't even know how to write a proper schedule for workers.
Pros
Fun if you are into cars and driving
Cons
Poor management, dishonesty
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Autoport Limited. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5