Atria Retirement Canada Employee Reviews

poor management and head office
Porter (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK11 March 2019
be prepared to be written up over things that did not occur, company might be generous and give you 15 cents worth of raises in a years time. management spreads gossip like wild fires.
Pros
a free meal
Cons
management
Better jobs out there....
Management (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 February 2019
Poorly managed.
Every staff member is running like chickens without heads.
High high sales pressure.
Micromanaged by unqualified trainers and Sr. Managers.
Lots of egos at Sr. Management level.
Lots of micromanaging.

Run.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Micromanagement, inexperienced Sr. Staff.
Toxic place to work
Engaged life (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 January 2019
Work there for 4 years. I was very proud of my work but ED controls everyone .. The employees do not matter. They fire and hire constantly. Management and head office control everyone. It is not a healthy place to work. They have little reguard for residents or employees. BOTTOM LINE IS MONEY. l would not ever encourage anyone to plan a future there. I have seen over 6 chefs leave or be fired in 4 years. There are a large number of residents that have dementia or Alzheimer's. The employees are not trained to handle any situation concerning dementia. It is assumed that you DO NOT SAY CERTAIN THINGS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE! If you do u are fired. Good LUCK! l wouldn't wish a job of any kind not even my dead dog! You can not make life for your self here, you never know when you head is on the chopping block. You are ask to work positions you are not train to do. Make a mistake and ypur fired. Very cruel place to work they have no empathy or compassion.
Pros
Nothing here
Cons
ED and Head Office always ready to fire at any time.
Terrible
saint annes court (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB15 January 2019
Management suck, useless and bunch of uneducated people, super unprofessional, racist, sexist, and overall worst place you could work at. Rather stay broke than working for these people.
Heavy workload
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON7 January 2019
Not enough pay for workload and taking advantage of small staff. Management is only concerned with bottom line and not residents. Rent increases are absurd and unaffordable for residents and not happy once they are living with food, staff, management, etc.
Underserving Regional Sales and Regional Vice President
Community Business Director (Current Employee) –  Alberta23 December 2018
Sad to confess but the regional management of this company are bunch of naive sales professionals from various industries and hence they don’t have a clue about the daily operation and running a retirement facility. They have loose ears and believe every gossips which are constantly sent to them by their spies. Constant phones calls and text being sent late at night and if they aren’t answered they hold grudge against that person which is being taken out in the form of passing rude comment during the group conference calls. In order to safe guard their jobs, the regional team can go to any extent including termination of senior management position comprising of sales director, executive director and others. Sad but truth, the regional team has plenty of ego to be satisfied by the unit team and in order to be a favourite you have to go all out.

I have personally witnessed my high potential management employees being terminated over night without any explanation.

Needless to say a place where only quite ones can last and collect their aeroplane miles and pay check.
Pros
Benefits, free food
Cons
Bad regional leadership, long hours, over expectation, no respect of management personal
A lot of Sales pressure to sell
Community Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2018
More pressure to sell for the Company than to the need of the customer, start with sales call from district mgr who wasn't even in the market area, always trying to compare apples to oranges
Pros
Free meals, good compensation
Poor Management & poor hours
Junior Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 September 2018
As a Junior/Part-time server you were only given 2 hour shifts, which would be totally fine if the amount of tasks that were given to us didn't continue to increase. It became more and more difficult to all the tasks with the growing amount of residents and additional tasks within 2 hours. If we ever went over 2 hours it would be our fault and managers wouldnt listen to our complaints or take them seriously.
Also when I started college I had to change my availablitiy because 2 classes interefeared with times might be schedualed to work. I was told that I would have to work those days no matter what because "it was not a nescessity and you agreed to open availability when you started working here." I wored there for a year and a half. My co-worker alos tried to change her availabilty because she couldnt work for religious practice. they also told her it was not a nescessity. Also when I first started they said i would be given a shirt and work shoes for my uniform. I started at the same time as another girl, she was given her shirt within a week or two. I have worked there for a year and a half and never got my shirt. I just used some extras that they had in the staff room. Therefore they were also very unorganized. there were also some people who worked multiple positions, there were many times where staff had been double booked and we ended up having to work short.
Overall the managment is aweful and unorganized.
Pros
flexible shifts & great co workers.
Cons
poor management and hours
Worst place to work
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 September 2018
I worked here and the mangement was horrible the only good thing about that place were the residents and the free food the shifts were only 2 and a half hours I never witnessed a place go through so many people in such little time worst place I ever worked !
Pros
Food was good residents were sweet
Cons
Management was terrible
Fun place to work, get Lunch for Free.
Community Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 July 2018
I come in to work and start working on my laptop in CRM. I am supposed to put every inquiry into CRM and create lots of task's to keep me organized. I would say management doesn't really understand what a day is like for me. Lot's of pressure from upper management when rooms become empty. I love helping seniors feel good and helping them find a good community to live in.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours, because management trying to save money.
Terrible Management
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB11 January 2018
The management at Atria is the worst. My co workers were all friendly, but the management is disorganized, and couldn't care less about you. They make a point of letting you know you're replaceable. I was put into unsafe situations (not given PPE when it's required, by law), they're incredibly greedy, withholding vacation pay, and always threatening to fire you, when you did nothing wrong. I witnessed managers forge my signature, forge documents saying we were "trained" when we had not received training, and falsify documents about how many hours were worked, spent on training, etc.
Pros
Free Supper (leftovers - for a tax reduction for them)
Cons
Everything else pretty much
Pretty toxic, head office has a stranglehold on facility
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 January 2018
-poor training
-out of touch management
-poor hours
-budgeting issues
The residents are amazing to serve, but the management really pushes you to your limits
Pros
Free food, amazing residents, good kitchen and housekeeping staff.
Cons
Akward shift times, inconsistant schedule, poor management, bad training, budgeting issues, tense enviroment
Good for a student or an idiot
Server (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 January 2018
Everything about this company is disgusting. Only desperation should tempt you to apply here. The management is terrible, no matter how many quit or get fired. They lack empathy for anyone and are most likely trained to be that way. Stay away from this out-dated, deceiving place.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Everything else
Great place to work if you have a passion for cooking
Cook (Current Employee) –  Canada24 October 2017
Secure job with good benefits. You get a chance to cook real food served fresh so it's not just a 'job'. If you enjoy a challenge and an opportunity to learn every day than this is the perfect job.
Pros
Coworkers
Fun workplace
Junior Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2017
Fun workplace where I learned a lot with a messy management. Would have been easier to work there if everything was more organized and not so fast paced.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Messy management
A sad place to be
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Alberta14 October 2017
I saw so many people go through the doors. Some lasted for a year, many only a day. Huge impossible workloads, and minimal hope. Used me until I was broken and tossed away.
If you are desperate for work, it will put a little money in the pocket. I can look at the reviews on here and know which of my former co-workers wrote them.
Trust the ratings.
Pros
Never lacking work to do
Cons
10 hours labor expected in an 8 hour day
The Residents are the only reason a person would stay!!
Community Business Director (Former Employee) –  Canada6 October 2017
This company is very conflicted from every level. Sales is the only important thing to upper and Inhouse management.
There is no training program for new employees. Directors normally make it a year before they are fired or quit. The Residents are amazing as well as most of the front line staff.
Run this business with bare minimumly staff so if someone calls in sick your up. Which happens a lot!
You are expected to work long hours if you are on salary. As well as every long weekend.
You are expected to answer emergency call from the residents which is something they don't tell you right upfront.
Pros
Free meals, Residents, front line staff.
Cons
Long hours, work every stat, no proper training, no work life balance.
not a good work enviroment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB27 September 2017
would not recommend this place. if you are not the ED you have no support or training. if you don't fit into their bubble they will find any way to get you out the door.
I was only casual so cannot assess
Floating Manager (Current Employee) –  all of Canada16 September 2017
sorry cannot assess as I was casual and cannot know what full time people receive or how to fairly judge. I am still working here so do not wish to say anything negative about this company
great company, unorganized management
Wait staff, customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2017
great residence and great atmosphere to work in. found the food to be good. the management at the time of my employment was undergoing changes so the management was disorganized. our meal privileges were also removed from us.
Pros
great people
Cons
meal privileges were removed. disorganized information.