Atria Retirement Canada Employee Reviews

A lot of Sales pressure to sell
Community Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2018
More pressure to sell for the Company than to the need of the customer, start with sales call from district mgr who wasn't even in the market area, always trying to compare apples to oranges
Pros
Free meals, good compensation
Worst place to work
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 September 2018
I worked here and the mangement was horrible the only good thing about that place were the residents and the free food the shifts were only 2 and a half hours I never witnessed a place go through so many people in such little time worst place I ever worked !
Pros
Food was good residents were sweet
Cons
Management was terrible
Fun place to work, get Lunch for Free.
Community Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 July 2018
I come in to work and start working on my laptop in CRM. I am supposed to put every inquiry into CRM and create lots of task's to keep me organized. I would say management doesn't really understand what a day is like for me. Lot's of pressure from upper management when rooms become empty. I love helping seniors feel good and helping them find a good community to live in.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours, because management trying to save money.
Terrible Management
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB11 January 2018
The management at Atria is the worst. My co workers were all friendly, but the management is disorganized, and couldn't care less about you. They make a point of letting you know you're replaceable. I was put into unsafe situations (not given PPE when it's required, by law), they're incredibly greedy, withholding vacation pay, and always threatening to fire you, when you did nothing wrong. I witnessed managers forge my signature, forge documents saying we were "trained" when we had not received training, and falsify documents about how many hours were worked, spent on training, etc.
Pros
Free Supper (leftovers - for a tax reduction for them)
Cons
Everything else pretty much
Pretty toxic, head office has a stranglehold on facility
Waitstaff (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 January 2018
-poor training
-out of touch management
-poor hours
-budgeting issues
The residents are amazing to serve, but the management really pushes you to your limits
Pros
Free food, amazing residents, good kitchen and housekeeping staff.
Cons
Akward shift times, inconsistant schedule, poor management, bad training, budgeting issues, tense enviroment
Good for a student or an idiot
Server (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 January 2018
Everything about this company is disgusting. Only desperation should tempt you to apply here. The management is terrible, no matter how many quit or get fired. They lack empathy for anyone and are most likely trained to be that way. Stay away from this out-dated, deceiving place.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Everything else
Great place to work if you have a passion for cooking
Cook (Current Employee) –  Canada24 October 2017
Secure job with good benefits. You get a chance to cook real food served fresh so it's not just a 'job'. If you enjoy a challenge and an opportunity to learn every day than this is the perfect job.
Pros
Coworkers
Fun workplace
Junior Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2017
Fun workplace where I learned a lot with a messy management. Would have been easier to work there if everything was more organized and not so fast paced.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Messy management
A sad place to be
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Alberta14 October 2017
I saw so many people go through the doors. Some lasted for a year, many only a day. Huge impossible workloads, and minimal hope. Used me until I was broken and tossed away.
If you are desperate for work, it will put a little money in the pocket. I can look at the reviews on here and know which of my former co-workers wrote them.
Trust the ratings.
Pros
Never lacking work to do
Cons
10 hours labor expected in an 8 hour day
The Residents are the only reason a person would stay!!
Community Business Director (Former Employee) –  Canada6 October 2017
This company is very conflicted from every level. Sales is the only important thing to upper and Inhouse management.
There is no training program for new employees. Directors normally make it a year before they are fired or quit. The Residents are amazing as well as most of the front line staff.
Run this business with bare minimumly staff so if someone calls in sick your up. Which happens a lot!
You are expected to work long hours if you are on salary. As well as every long weekend.
You are expected to answer emergency call from the residents which is something they don't tell you right upfront.
Pros
Free meals, Residents, front line staff.
Cons
Long hours, work every stat, no proper training, no work life balance.
not a good work enviroment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB27 September 2017
would not recommend this place. if you are not the ED you have no support or training. if you don't fit into their bubble they will find any way to get you out the door.
I was only casual so cannot assess
Floating Manager (Current Employee) –  all of Canada16 September 2017
sorry cannot assess as I was casual and cannot know what full time people receive or how to fairly judge. I am still working here so do not wish to say anything negative about this company
great company, unorganized management
Wait staff, customer service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2017
great residence and great atmosphere to work in. found the food to be good. the management at the time of my employment was undergoing changes so the management was disorganized. our meal privileges were also removed from us.
Pros
great people
Cons
meal privileges were removed. disorganized information.
Exciting first job would recommend
Junior Server (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB4 June 2017
Enjoyable workplace. Quick three hour shifts, good for busy teenagers. Friendly people to serve and to work. A great first job! Receive free meals after your shift.
Everyday was a new adventure!
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB29 October 2016
Every day was new adventure too much management turn over.I don't think they screen the right people for ED or they didn't care. I think need to to take a look at people they bought in above them too.

Either they care about our seniors or it is about the money and that sad.
I still think they might have a chance if they change there ways.
Pros
working with the seniors.
Cons
Too many managers not enough workers
productive and fun environment
Waitstaff/Server (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 August 2016
great co-workers! very nice residents and flexible hours
great first job for high school students
would be better if they offered longer shifts though
A good first job for those 15-21 of age.
Waitstaff, Junior Server (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 June 2016
Come in kitchen/back door in uniform or get changed in spacious single bathroom, sign in at office & return to kitchen, prepare carts for soups/salads & juice/milk, serve said consumables, return cats and begin busing (cleaning) dishes off tables, grab metal foldaway stands and plastic & rubber platters, serve four residents at a time, take orders from the limited daily menu, return with food that is requested, repeat until section clear, begin busing for plates, prepare dessert carts, serve dessert, continue busing, clear tables entirely, set tables anew for the next meal.

You learn to deal with people in various states of both mental and physical health brought on by advanced age

The residents are friendly, as are the coworkers. An ideal first job

Management seemed to always change, but may have settled by now.
Pros
Two-hour concise shifts, simple yet engaging work.
Cons
Shifts were sometimes misplaced or missasigned by management, or occasionaly wrong.
Up/down communication too restrictive
Floating Manager (Former Employee) –  vrs3 June 2016
U.S. company, first adventure into Canada. Not totally cognisant of Canadian work environment. Community work atmosphere very good. Company atmosphere fragmented. Hiring selection practices questionable. Nothing over burdening with position. Best part interaction with seniors in the Community to keep them motivated and enthusiastic.
Pros
Live in accommodations.
Cons
Long hours & less than desirable support from executive.
Atria Retirement is a fun place to work!
Server (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 April 2016
very understanding and helpful with working around schedules! the managers are good at keeping you on track and are organized.
Pros
give us lots of feed back
Cons
short hours
Bottom line is THE bottom line.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 December 2015
Company was new to Canada and not yet understanding of how things are done north of the border. Time and experience may help.