Atria Retirement Canada

Atria Retirement Canada Employee Reviews

Canada69 reviews
I’d heard/read the warnings but I thought, with all new managers coming in at the same time (or just after) as me, I could try and spread some positivity and cheer, show the lazy, disinterested younger staff how to be professional and treat the residents better, and, for myself, handle the cruel, ignorant and self-absorbed older staff who were always so bullying and demanding (dare I say threatening?). After a month, I AM OUT!!!
Pros
5 star staff always trying to make up for the bad apples
Cons
Far too many bossy, lazy and bitter co-workers
Stressful work environment. Constantly being hounded by Head Office to produce results.
A lot of pressure to perform and a feeling of responsibility for things not in your control
Pros
Rewarding to work with Seniors
Cons
Multitasking 24/7
Almost every single employee there was unable to take their contractually obligated unpaid breaks. You were not allowed to be paid more than 8 hours per day. Not even a couple mintues more, they claimed this was because of how important our breaks were. In reality they were passively forcing people to work through their break without saying anything. For many of the employees who had been working there for years they had just gotten used to not being able to finish their work in the alotted amount of time. Nobody had enough time for themselves, which lead to an incredibly individualistic workplace. People never helped without getting upset and I was regularly told that I simply wasn't a good enough worker. I was regularly compared to a dishwasher that the chef had trained prior. He told me "Even a dishwasher who's never cooked was able to do better than you."

Two major problems with this. First its completely innapropriate to talk to an employee like that especially one who is only 6 weeks into the job. Secondly, it shows that the Chef judged people personally based on their past job experience. Why should I be embarrased that a dishwasher who worked there for years was able to do better than me?
Pros
Good pay, great benefits, good staff and clients.
Cons
Lack of understanding from management about the amount of work and time in a day.
Stay as far away as possible from this company. Upper management is severely out of touch with the day to day operations and employees, they always treat them as ants. Food is good as far as I have tasted but still treat employees bad in front of residents.

They lie about COVID patients and lies to staff as well as family members

Pros

Nothing, just the people working specially kids.

Cons

Everything,

under paid

Bad treatments

Political management
Was working on a part time basis for the predecessor of Atria (Holliday Retirement.) Hiring ratings referred to the original process. Was provided with excellent training on two occasions. (Had previosly worked full time but left their employment for a few years, retired and then was asked if I would return.) Enjoyed working with both the senior clients and the various coworkers. Atritransitioned from
good everything ios good and safe working environment with the good management and every kind of facility was available to all the employee good job and no hardesy part of the job was there
Stay as far away from this company as possible. The expectations are unreal and upper management is severely out of touch with the day to day operations.
Pros
The residents
Cons
I have good relationship with the resident by creating fun as part of working place and happiness for all. Management are supportive and also make sure things are done appropriately.
Totally an inside job primarily centred around telemarketing. I prefer to be on the road in a b to b environment. The job was just not a fit for me.
Pros
culture
Cons
not challenging
Atria is a great company to work for. I prefer an outside or b to b environment and Atria offered only an inside Sales option. I felt that I need more of a challenge than Atria offered.
The absolute hands down worst company to work for. Overworked, underpaid, under appreciated. Cannot say enough bad about this company. I wouldn’t wish a job with Atria Retirement on my worst enemy!
By far the absolute worst job ive ever had. Management ( husband and wife) are jerks beside 2 of them. They train you and leave out so much information and expect you to do everything perfect without properly training you, then get mad when you make a mistake. They run the worst kitchen ive ever worked out of. completely unorganized and inefficient. the rest of the waitstaff are all young teens and are very nice friendly kids that work hard and are shown little appreciation. the housekeepers on the other hand were a complete nightmare. 2 out of the 3 of them made me dread coming into work. They were rude, snobby, and had little patience when you needed help. They acted as if i wasn't trying and spent my day dilly dallying and they would get mad at me for little mistakes when in reality i was still just trying to learn. Ultimately i hated this place and i hated coming to work everyday. Overall a terrible environment. The ONLY nice part was free leftovers and the elders that lived there. Most of them were so sweet.
Very low pay! Fast paced environment. Many job titles expected of you. Cooks and head chef Gordania all treat you and make u feel like ur beneath them! Horrible kitchen....Very unfriendly
Pros: my coworkers were fantastic people

cons: management was lazy and uncooperative, and would complain about employees loudly to other employees. Would yell at and belittle some of my younger coworkers.

Oh yeah they paid poorly, hired someone on after me to "help me out some" who got paid considerably more for less work
The residents were everything to me. Most of them had treated me as though I was their own family, but sometimes some of the staff were questionable. I had brought up issues that I was having to my direct management and they had shut it down, refused to accept that these issues were actually happening and proceeded to do nothing about it until I went to HR. I don't know what HR said or did but the member of management team who had shut down my issues had done something about them, although not very effective he had done something. The workplace despite the issues was a good one because of the residents. It is their home so when you are there they make you feel as though you are at home.
Former MT employee
Residents were great. Worked outside of hours and no OT. Management, ED, brutal, always questioned what you did and talk about a micro-manager !!!!!
It felt like I had 20 supervisors sometimes. People would say one thing there but do the oposite. There was alot of back stabbing there. One day something was ok to do the next it wasnt.
Nothing to submit. I rather not say.

I was the executive chef I worked 7 days a week and roughly 14 hour days. It was fun. The good thing was the ppl.
I can confidently say this was the worst job I’ve ever had. Staff is all about gossip and unfortunately the main cause of that is management. They will work you as much as they can to avoid having to work themselves. I promise you this job is not worth it! Did I mention the management is terrible to the residents? They will call them names behind their backs or make up terrible nicknames. Not a place I’d want to be, nor would I send anyone I love there!!
Atria Retirement as a part time job is great for high school students. The hours are very flexible and the shifts are only 3 hours at a time (for the Junior Waitstaff)
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
Short hours & not flexible
We worked ourselves to the bone in housekeeping, with no support from management. Hours were micromanaged, couldn't have a single minute of overtime. Heavy, heavy workload, poor conditions, low pay, and zero recognition. I still have back issues years later. Free meals were nice, but would have appreciated healthcare benefits more...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atria Retirement Canada. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7