Atira Women's Resource Society Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Challenging
SENIOR BUILDING SUPPORT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 April 2019
When you love what you do, it does not seem like work.
The hardest part of the job is to not take your work home with you.
Loved supporting and being a voice for the Women and children, and to walk beside them through their life choices.
i was a employer here
cleaner / maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 November 2018
Atira is a housing society in the downtown east side .A variety of different situations and experiences were involved in the everyday work related schedule. I was a painter for the SRO's [single room occupencies ] Which house a number of mentally challenged and low income people. A large variety of people with substance abuse issues & hard to house individuals. This was an experience like no other and challenged my strength in humanity,but i felt I grew as a person and it humbled me greatly.
Building Services Worker
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 August 2018
I am employed on a relief basis for Atira. I am looking for more employment in the same field. I sweep and mop hallways and common areas. I also clean washrooms.
Cons
stressful
Loved my actual job
Support Worker-Transition House (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 May 2018
A typical day involved activities from paperwork , general socialization , and fulfilling any of the clients needs

The management of the company is lacking in caring about their employees
great traning days for employees
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2018
I've learned so much about working with the public and also working with the vulnerable sector. Atira is a place of growth and opportunity. I love that they practice feminism where women support women- that's when great things happen!
Cons
burnout
Incredible experience of supporting others.
Housing Outreach Worker / Woman's Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 July 2017
As most support worker jobs, there are many contrasting days. If you enjoy the dynamic of handling what ever comes your way and supporting others to problem solve, this is a fantastic position for you. The culture with Atira is feminist, inclusive and anti-oppressive which is a challenge to find.
Pros
Excellent training, collaborative and dynamic environment.
Cons
Can be high stress.
Excellent coworkers; terrible management
Development Communications and Fundraising (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 April 2017
The work that Atira does in the DTES and the Lower Mainland is incredible. The low-barrier approach and the fact that they house some of the hardest to house women in the Lower Mainland is amazing. The fact that they took over buildings that had some of the most violent things ongoing in there and transformed them to house women who experienced or are experiencing violence, making them a home, is awesome.
However, there's some management rhetoric and ongoings that I don't believe center the women at the work being done. I think that Atira is a terrible employer in terms of supporting the growth and well-being of its employees, and management is awful at taking feedback given by its employees that speak up to some of the unfair and unjust practices. I think that management operates in a gaslighty and fear mongering way towards its employees while touring feminist and anti-oppressive values.
In short, love the work that Atira does in the community, but would never encourage anyone to work there.
Pros
Excellent coworkers, super supportive
Cons
Terrible management, no boundaries, no managerial skills
Feministic, harm-reduction, anti-oppressive place of work
Women's Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 April 2017
Front line support, providing emotional and physical support to women who have been affected by abuse and trauma. Some duties include; crisis intervention, conflict resolution, safety planning, advocacy, and referrals. This includes working in a harm reduction building and therefor knowledge of the realities of the Downtown Eastside is a must. Understanding the multiple barriers women face in the community and in our society as a whole is also essential.
A good working environment, hands on, and constant movement.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2017
Being supportive to approximately 18 residence, and 12 Mentors in the Container units.

* offering life skills; cooking, laundry, cleaning etc
* being supportive when it comes to health and wellness
* having good communication with staff, networking communities, such as fraser health, and other sister buildings in the surrounding area.
* able to work under pressure when dealing with multiple tasks
* working with no judgement
* making appropriate calls to assist with housing, shelter, clinic's, or the hospital.
Working with Atira you have to be strong minded, act accordingly, and I have to say I definitely enjoy working with a well rounded team.
Pros
Wonderful team work
Cons
the distance of a commute, from Surrey to Vancouver
working with females in SROs
Relief Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 February 2015
social support for marginalized women dealing with the negative social issues in the down town east side. You cook meals once a week, but basically assist the women to make healthy choices in their lives and direct them to resources if needed.
Cons
on call shifts only