Atira Women's Resource Society

Atira Women's Resource Society Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Lots of different programs available for all people from all walks of life. Most of the staff are friendly and easy going. Lots of opportunities for advancement.
Work consisted of supporting women who accessed our services. There is a wide range of people who access our services in different stages of their life needing support. While there are different challenges interacting with women, it is understandable as they are overcoming their own struggles.

What I found to be unacceptable is the complete lack of regard from management and the CEO. The CEO acts as though we are lackeys there to do her bidding and we are as dumb as a rock. Management is largely unsupportive and often take part in blame culture where employees in lower roles will be blamed regardless if management did not provide sufficient training or support throughout the day or during crises.
Extremely stressful, management doesn't help at all, they don't care, just ignores you when you ask for help. No mental support to staff, very disappointed.
No career development in this place, staff have to do the dirtiest work, but got no respect.
Manager has favorites,does not listen,is not there when needed,seemed disinterested in issues presented to them.
No career development support

Rules set by atira not adhered to

Shaming people

No appreciation for staff going the extra mile if you re not their fav
Pros
its a job
Cons
Too many to mention
Great place to gain experience. I enjoyed working with co-workers and supporting women. I loved having my own opportunity to start my own programs to work with the women and it was an honour to get to know some of the women.
Atira does great work in the neighbourhoods that they serve but sometimes will ask you to do questionable tasks such as improper tax receipts and grant applications. There is a manager that gaslights her team members and you will be ignored if you report the abusive behaviour to HR or other management because of nepotism. My best advice to anyone who is looking for a job in the fundraising department is to not apply. It's not worth the hours of therapy that you will definitely need when you quit. I loved the cause and I loved my team (at one point) but the toxicity and the unsupportive management forced me to leave.
Pros
Supportive team, Good cause, good benefits
Cons
Questionable management, nepotism
Working with atira was an amazing experience. I had the opportunity to work with kind, understanding and overall great people. It was a bonus to work with the kids and see their adorable faces all week long.
I left my job with Atira because there were high turnover with the program managers, I also felt my hands were tied in how far I could help those who were asking for it. If your passion is to support others with your whole heart and help with all your ability ,you may be disappointed working here.
At the time that I left this job, there had been at least 2 unsuccessful attempts to unionize the workers here. There was a general atmosphere of distrust in the administration. Employees in coordinator roles left or simply disappeared regularly. There was a sense that the admin did not trust or support their coordinators in making appropriate decisions. People were fired for unreasonable or unknown reasons (ie last day of probation when no legal reason is needed, not showing up for a meeting after working an overnight shift and being expected to arrive early in the morning ) Preaching the empowerment of women while limiting or excluding participants who voiced strong opinions. Perhaps it had changed as the programs and services have the potential to really stand out.
When I first joined this company I was so eager to start and see what Atira was all about. I had come from another Social Service Agency and so I had an idea of what I was getting into but I wasn't prepared for what I found. The management at some of the shelters and housing sites is abhorrent. I was used to having management that was supportive and would get there hands dirty. I've found here the management are unsupportive, lazy and disorganized. At times, I've witnessed clients being treated unprofessionally.
The policies that I read at head office and at each site are outdated and don't reflect what's really happening. There is a lot of staff who are working double shifts voluntarily. At some sites there is no staff bathroom and staff do not drink the water because many say it has made them sick. Overall it has been really sad and disheartening working for an organization that has such great values on paper but doesn't practice them on principle.

In writing this review I also acknowledge that there is hardworking management and frontline staff throughout this company. I am speaking to the experiences I've had in a few sites at this company that have been unfortunate.
Pros
competitive wages, worthy cause, room for growth, training oppourtunities
Cons
unprofessional management, uncomfortable work sites
At times is hectic but it’s not always like that. Every program is different and I recommend you are compassionate and non judgmental working in this field.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Quick burn out
Once established in the environment, it can give you the experience you need to work in a very diversified setting.
When you love what you do, it does not seem like work.
The hardest part of the job is to not take your work home with you.

Loved supporting and being a voice for the Women and children, and to walk beside them through their life choices.
The company has a great motto in addressing women who are vulnerable and being the best decision makers in their own lives; however, the management within the company is corrupt. When issues are brought up that have created a hostile and stressful environment from multiple people, they just sweep everything under the rug and don't address any problems. Did not feel supported by management when working here but the staff within the houses are great.
Pros
Vulnerable women have a place to stay
Cons
Atira is a housing society in the downtown east side .A variety of different situations and experiences were involved in the everyday work related schedule. I was a painter for the SRO's [single room occupencies ] Which house a number of mentally challenged and low income people. A large variety of people with substance abuse issues & hard to house individuals. This was an experience like no other and challenged my strength in humanity,but i felt I grew as a person and it humbled me greatly.
I am employed on a relief basis for Atira. I am looking for more employment in the same field. I sweep and mop hallways and common areas. I also clean washrooms.
Cons
stressful
A typical day involved activities from paperwork , general socialization , and fulfilling any of the clients needs

The management of the company is lacking in caring about their employees
I've learned so much about working with the public and also working with the vulnerable sector. Atira is a place of growth and opportunity. I love that they practice feminism where women support women- that's when great things happen!
Cons
burnout
everyday is a new day going in with a fresh start and being open to anything that can go on. being supportive to coworkers and working as a team is very important. Being able to communicate and work with outside organization to educate and advocate so needs can be met.
Pros
being supportive to women and their needs
Cons
working outside my communtiy
As most support worker jobs, there are many contrasting days. If you enjoy the dynamic of handling what ever comes your way and supporting others to problem solve, this is a fantastic position for you. The culture with Atira is feminist, inclusive and anti-oppressive which is a challenge to find.
Pros
Excellent training, collaborative and dynamic environment.
Cons
Can be high stress.
The work that Atira does in the DTES and the Lower Mainland is incredible. The low-barrier approach and the fact that they house some of the hardest to house women in the Lower Mainland is amazing. The fact that they took over buildings that had some of the most violent things ongoing in there and transformed them to house women who experienced or are experiencing violence, making them a home, is awesome.
However, there's some management rhetoric and ongoings that I don't believe center the women at the work being done. I think that Atira is a terrible employer in terms of supporting the growth and well-being of its employees, and management is awful at taking feedback given by its employees that speak up to some of the unfair and unjust practices. I think that management operates in a gaslighty and fear mongering way towards its employees while touring feminist and anti-oppressive values.

In short, love the work that Atira does in the community, but would never encourage anyone to work there.
Pros
Excellent coworkers, super supportive
Cons
Terrible management, no boundaries, no managerial skills