Atira Women's Resource Society

Atira Women's Resource Society Employee Reviews

Canada33 reviews

womansupportworkingpeopleworkmanagementjobexperience

Stable and interesting

I don’t feel like the values and mission statements match the work being done. There needs to be more training for staff in trauma informed care and counselling skills. Overall I enjoy my job but feel for the risk I take everyday I should be paid more than I am. Each program is different and I’ve worked at a few, that part is great. Room for growth and opportunities to learn new skills and try new jobs.

Pros

Supportive co-workers and managers

Cons

Can be thankless work, poorly organized

Passionate Women

the typical day starts at 8am and ends at 5pm. Its a not for profit located at the downtown east side. Work at Atira is very demanding. co-workers are very passionate. very down to earth and women with lived experiences work there

Pros

very passionate staff and great colleagues

Cons

lots of workload

Insights into Atira Women's Resource Society

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

I got grea5 experience

Very love my job at Atira . This job is for those who like to work and care for people. I was enjoying my work with our great team . Not boring . Always busy . Lunch break for 30 min .

Benefits

Cons

Parr time and full time jobs

Worst Experience of my life

No respect.Management without experience in childcare.no training .very Arrogant management.management is not clear about their expectations. No response to message or email.no independence .

Anti-union and therefore suspicious business practices + economical ethics of upper management.

Any nonprofit organization with a social services focused mandate that provides services for the betterment of people should no question, absolutely be unionized; the fact that they are the biggest of the few in town that provide similar services and are not, is a glaring & dismal error, and it truly mars their reputation amongst other more trusted service providers.

Pros

Nice people to work alongside

Cons

Anti-union and therefore suspicious upper management.

Overall a good work environment. I love my coworkers and clients.

I would recommend Atira as a good organization to work for. They have competitive wage and benefit packages. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming and the work itself is rewarding.

Great experience

I love work at Atira . Has been joint it for 3 yers and happy to support our tenets . Got so much learn . Everything is good for me and I enjoy work for Atira Women’s society as cleaner . Recommend for those who don’t picky as dirty job and ready to help others . Very like my job as Custodian .

Terrible Work Environment

Work consisted of supporting women who accessed our services. There is a wide range of people who access our services in different stages of their life needing support. While there are different challenges interacting with women, it is understandable as they are overcoming their own struggles. What I found to be unacceptable is the complete lack of regard from management and the CEO. The CEO acts as though we are lackeys there to do her bidding and we are as dumb as a rock. Management is largely unsupportive and often take part in blame culture where employees in lower roles will be blamed regardless if management did not provide sufficient training or support throughout the day or during crises.

worst place I've ever worked in.

Extremely stressful, management doesn't help at all, they don't care, just ignores you when you ask for help. No mental support to staff, very disappointed. No career development in this place, staff have to do the dirtiest work, but got no respect.

Bad just bad

Manager has favorites,does not listen,is not there when needed,seemed disinterested in issues presented to them. No career development support Rules set by atira not adhered to Shaming people No appreciation for staff going the extra mile if you re not their fav

Pros

its a job

Cons

Too many to mention

Support Worker

Great place to gain experience. I enjoyed working with co-workers and supporting women. I loved having my own opportunity to start my own programs to work with the women and it was an honour to get to know some of the women.

Nepotism runs deep in the company culture.

Atira does great work in the neighbourhoods that they serve but sometimes will ask you to do questionable tasks such as improper tax receipts and grant applications. There is a manager that gaslights her team members and you will be ignored if you report the abusive behaviour to HR or other management because of nepotism. My best advice to anyone who is looking for a job in the fundraising department is to not apply. It's not worth the hours of therapy that you will definitely need when you quit. I loved the cause and I loved my team (at one point) but the toxicity and the unsupportive management forced me to leave.

Pros

Supportive team, Good cause, good benefits

Cons

Questionable management, nepotism

Creative

Lots of different programs available for all people from all walks of life. Most of the staff are friendly and easy going. Lots of opportunities for advancement.

Safe and creative space

Working with atira was an amazing experience. I had the opportunity to work with kind, understanding and overall great people. It was a bonus to work with the kids and see their adorable faces all week long.

Pays well. Fast pace

I left my job with Atira because there were high turnover with the program managers, I also felt my hands were tied in how far I could help those who were asking for it. If your passion is to support others with your whole heart and help with all your ability ,you may be disappointed working here.

wonderful services/ unsupportive coordination

At the time that I left this job, there had been at least 2 unsuccessful attempts to unionize the workers here. There was a general atmosphere of distrust in the administration. Employees in coordinator roles left or simply disappeared regularly. There was a sense that the admin did not trust or support their coordinators in making appropriate decisions. People were fired for unreasonable or unknown reasons (ie last day of probation when no legal reason is needed, not showing up for a meeting after working an overnight shift and being expected to arrive early in the morning ) Preaching the empowerment of women while limiting or excluding participants who voiced strong opinions. Perhaps it had changed as the programs and services have the potential to really stand out.

Unfortunate

When I first joined this company I was so eager to start and see what Atira was all about. I had come from another Social Service Agency and so I had an idea of what I was getting into but I wasn't prepared for what I found. The management at some of the shelters and housing sites is abhorrent. I was used to having management that was supportive and would get there hands dirty. I've found here the management are unsupportive, lazy and disorganized. At times, I've witnessed clients being treated unprofessionally. The policies that I read at head office and at each site are outdated and don't reflect what's really happening. There is a lot of staff who are working double shifts voluntarily. At some sites there is no staff bathroom and staff do not drink the water because many say it has made them sick. Overall it has been really sad and disheartening working for an organization that has such great values on paper but doesn't practice them on principle. In writing this review I also acknowledge that there is hardworking management and frontline staff throughout this company. I am speaking to the experiences I've had in a few sites at this company that have been unfortunate.

Pros

competitive wages, worthy cause, room for growth, training oppourtunities

Cons

unprofessional management, uncomfortable work sites

Fast pace work environment

At times is hectic but it’s not always like that. Every program is different and I recommend you are compassionate and non judgmental working in this field.

Pros

Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Quick burn out

An challenging environment to gain life skills

Once established in the environment, it can give you the experience you need to work in a very diversified setting.

Challenging

When you love what you do, it does not seem like work. The hardest part of the job is to not take your work home with you. Loved supporting and being a voice for the Women and children, and to walk beside them through their life choices.

Great motto but terrible management

The company has a great motto in addressing women who are vulnerable and being the best decision makers in their own lives; however, the management within the company is corrupt. When issues are brought up that have created a hostile and stressful environment from multiple people, they just sweep everything under the rug and don't address any problems. Did not feel supported by management when working here but the staff within the houses are great.

Pros

Vulnerable women have a place to stay

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Atira Women's Resource Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement